Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
So AI I am looking at buying a new 335IS manual coupe or possibly a 2010+ lightly used M3. Hopefully right around 50k. I am currently driving a 2012 Mustang GT California special. Needless to say I have had a ton of issues with it and working on getting it repurchased under the lemon law. So I'm going to need to get something else. I love the power of the mustang but after a year of driving it, I'm really wanting a bit of luxury to go with it. Obviously the M3 is bad rear end and has the power but I'm a little leery of buying a used car. I have only ever purchased new with the exception of my first poo poo box. Given all the problems I have had with my current car (Blown Engine that took 21 days to get replaced, front suspension, rear breaks, and some mystery rear end sound they say is normal...) it freaks me out a little more buying used. I was able to drive the convertible, auto, 400 lbs heaver version of the 335IS and for only 320 HP I was surprised by it's quickness. It also looks like with about 0 effort and a few hundred bucks it's easy to add some boost to the IS and add a decent amount of HP and torque. The exhaust on the IS sounds really nice too. My only other option would be possibly a base Audi S5 but I can't find one local to test drive. I have also not driven an M3. I plan on driving said cars for about 10 years @ 10k a year mileage, as a daily driver. So do I stop being a pussy and buy a used M3 or go the safer new car route? I Keep going back and fourth about 10 times a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
What are peoples preferred brands for master and slave cylinders for an E36 (325i)?

Also I'm assuming if the car doesn't run with the MAF plugged it needs a new one?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Uh...anyone going to Bimmerfest?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Timmy Cruise posted:

Also I'm assuming if the car doesn't run with the MAF plugged it needs a new one?
Does it run (lovely, like it should) with the MAF unplugged? Double check to make sure you don't have some gigantic air leak after the MAF like the intake boot split or something, because I would be pretty surprised if it completely failed that bad and didn't give you a check engine light.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mattwhoo posted:

So AI I am looking at buying a new 335IS manual coupe or possibly a 2010+ lightly used M3.

Get a BMW if you want a pretty god damned amazing car at the cost of some sometimes-annoying repair and maintenance stuff, is pretty much the broadest advice I could give...

It sounds like you're kind of kind of coming out of the weeds in the world of car repairs, so I'd hate for you to get a BMW and then end up hating it because you popped a coolant tank or have issues with a brake light after 5,000 miles, which very well could happen no matter how good the pre-purchase inspection was. They've got their bugs and quirks. And, you need to be diligent on maintenance stuff, no exceptions. If you can stay on top of it, it will reward you.

and if you've just driven that IS, you're probably going to go nuts when you put the hammer down in an M3

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do you really want the M3? I'd say get the 335 because you get the four years free maintenance with a new car. And you can always chip it to get more power from the turbo.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Lowclock posted:

Does it run (lovely, like it should) with the MAF unplugged? Double check to make sure you don't have some gigantic air leak after the MAF like the intake boot split or something, because I would be pretty surprised if it completely failed that bad and didn't give you a check engine light.

Yes it is does run with it unplugged.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

mattwhoo posted:

So AI I am looking at buying a new 335IS manual coupe or possibly a 2010+ lightly used M3. Hopefully right around 50k. I am currently driving a 2012 Mustang GT California special. Needless to say I have had a ton of issues with it and working on getting it repurchased under the lemon law. So I'm going to need to get something else. I love the power of the mustang but after a year of driving it, I'm really wanting a bit of luxury to go with it. Obviously the M3 is bad rear end and has the power but I'm a little leery of buying a used car. I have only ever purchased new with the exception of my first poo poo box. Given all the problems I have had with my current car (Blown Engine that took 21 days to get replaced, front suspension, rear breaks, and some mystery rear end sound they say is normal...) it freaks me out a little more buying used. I was able to drive the convertible, auto, 400 lbs heaver version of the 335IS and for only 320 HP I was surprised by it's quickness. It also looks like with about 0 effort and a few hundred bucks it's easy to add some boost to the IS and add a decent amount of HP and torque. The exhaust on the IS sounds really nice too. My only other option would be possibly a base Audi S5 but I can't find one local to test drive. I have also not driven an M3. I plan on driving said cars for about 10 years @ 10k a year mileage, as a daily driver. So do I stop being a pussy and buy a used M3 or go the safer new car route? I Keep going back and fourth about 10 times a day.

The SRT8 Challenger is another option, or the SRT8 Charger and 300 if the manual isn't a requirement. Though I'd personally go for the M3 over a 335is or S5.

Sole Survivor fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 10, 2013

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

I picked up my M3 used ('09 with 13k miles), and so far no real complaints. It is admittedly ridiculously low mileage, and I got mine CPO, so it's still got some of the free maintenance left. I did have to have the battery replaced (Texas apparently likes to ruin batteries), which took them two weeks (BMW was backordered on them), but no other issues. I will say, getting in one of the loaner 328's from the dealership reminds me how much I love my M3. Basically, if you get the M3, you are going to ruin a lot of really quite good cars for yourself forever. Also, I'm not sure they're still running the stupidly good financing deal on CPO M cars that enabled me to get 0.9% financing.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
So I'm in a kinda lovely situation:
I took my '01 E39 540i/6-sp in to a shop that I'm kinda buddy-buddy with. We both race LeMons, we shoot the poo poo a lot, he seems to like me and my car, but I haven't spent much $$$ there because I'm a DIY'er. He said he didn't mind doing a bumper-bumper inspection, but I told them change the diff fluid so I could pay them for something. I'd been getting weird drivetrain vibration if you rev the car to about 1100 in neutral, thought it might be the fan clutch. They call me, say it's the clutch clutch. The pressure plate is uneven and the disc is starting to separate, or something. I hadn't been having ANY slipping at all (I know, I use the v8 power regularly). When I get the car back, they didn't do the diff fluid, because they said it looked fine and didn't figure it was worth my money to do it now. He also mentioned he had to take it home at night, as there's only limited space at the shop, and parking it outside gets wheels stolen etc. (shop is by the train tracks in an industrial area.)

That was a long backstory, but here's why. Half the gas tank is gone, the MPG average is down to 18 (was 20 when I left it) and the loving clutch is slipping on anything above 3/4 throttle. Is this just bad timing, or did he drive the poo poo out of it? I can't help but be suspicious, and now instead of dealing with the clutch in a month or so once I've prepped the parts, I have to deal with it now-ish. They said they'd email me an estimate, which I may get tomorrow, but there's no paperwork and because it's a "friendly" thing, I don't want to go and accuse him of anything (lest I burn a bridge that has been very handy in the past). Is there any sort of clutch adjustment he could have done to inspect it and maybe not put back?

Also my left timing cover leaks oil, but gently caress that :(.

Deceptor101 fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 10, 2013

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Deceptor101 posted:

So I'm in a kinda lovely situation:
I took my '01 E39 540i/6-sp in to a shop that I'm kinda buddy-buddy with. We both race LeMons, we shoot the poo poo a lot, he seems to like me and my car, but I haven't spent much $$$ there because I'm a DIY'er. He said he didn't mind doing a bumper-bumper inspection, but I told them change the diff fluid so I could pay them for something. I'd been getting weird drivetrain vibration if you rev the car to about 1100 in neutral, thought it might be the fan clutch. They call me, say it's the clutch clutch. The pressure plate is uneven and the disc is starting to separate, or something. I hadn't been having ANY slipping at all (I know, I use the v8 power regularly). When I get the car back, they didn't do the diff fluid, because they said it looked fine and didn't figure it was worth my money to do it now. He also mentioned he had to take it home at night, as there's only limited space at the shop, and parking it outside gets wheels stolen etc. (shop is by the train tracks in an industrial area.)

That was a long backstory, but here's why. Half the gas tank is gone, the MPG average is down to 18 (was 20 when I left it) and the loving clutch is slipping on anything above 3/4 throttle. Is this just bad timing, or did he drive the poo poo out of it? I can't help but be suspicious, and now instead of dealing with the clutch in a month or so once I've prepped the parts, I have to deal with it now-ish. They said they'd email me an estimate, which I may get tomorrow, but there's no paperwork and because it's a "friendly" thing, I don't want to go and accuse him of anything (lest I burn a bridge that has been very handy in the past). Is there any sort of clutch adjustment he could have done to inspect it and maybe not put back?

Also my left timing cover leaks oil, but gently caress that :(.

How many miles did he put on it?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Well my M3 is sitting in Bremerhaven waiting on a Boat now, figure I got probably another month until it arrives, I'm literally dying here.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Koirhor posted:

I'm literally dying here.

In the sense that we all are.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
Sooooooo... I decided to crack open the cluster and reset the coolant needle manually to see if that fixed my problem. Which it did.

So since I was in there I decided to poke around and see what was up with my trip reset stalk not working. I'll walk you through my thoughts:

Looks pretty good, let's see if I can fix that trip meter thing while I'm in here....

Oh. THANKS A LOT DUMBSHIT PREVIOUS OWNER.
Apparently he's already been into the dash before, and when he did, he installed the wrong stalks in the wrong place. (He also lost one of the T10 screws that hold the back of the panel in and now it's going to bug me that I know it isn't there)

For future reference if anyone was wondering, the stalk with the right angle goes on the left hand side in between the fuel and speedo gauges.

Going to re-instal it now and see if my trip meter works, and what damage happened on the other side.

Viper_3000 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 10, 2013

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

televiper posted:

In the sense that we all are.

exactly

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
Not fixed completely. The gauge for the temp still isn't working properly, and it doesn't reset to where it should, but I've reset it as best I could and it works well enough. Operating temp is a little to the right of where it should be and I can adjust my expectations accordingly. Trip meter works now, other stalk is ok-ish as well.

Anyone know if an indie shop can reprogram a cluster when I get a replacement or do I have to drive this thing to Chattanooga to get it reprogramed? (The dealership in Nashville is literally the absolute worst service/parts department I've ever been to in my 25 years on this earth)

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

mattwhoo posted:

So AI I am looking at buying a new 335IS manual coupe or possibly a 2010+ lightly used M3. Hopefully right around 50k...............................

As Mastermind is saying there are CPO M3's out there now. Best of both worlds, although the $50k budget might get blown.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Are there any other good sites for trying to find a 3-Series Manual Wagon? I've been using AutoTrader and Ebay with limited luck.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

How many miles did he put on it?

At least 81. That's what the trip computer was at (was definitely reset at some point during the time they had it) I don't know what the main odo reading was when I dropped it off though.

So for a clutch job, I see there's a LUK kit on rockauto for $180. Running the LUK part number tells me it's the same kit as other sites sell for $300+ and appears to be genuine. I need to get a shipping plate removal tool, but other things to get I gather for "while I'm in there" include:
-Rear main seal
-pilot bearing/bushing

Maybe should get include:
-New transmission Input Shaft seal
-New selector rod seal
-New pilot bearing
-New release bearing spring clip
-New clutch pivot pin
-New slave cylinder

And maybe even do the Guibo while I'm in there?

All these make it a much more expensive job.... Has anyone done this job and has any tips?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What the hell is this? http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/3792076085.html

Is it an M3 or a 328i with M3 trim pieces?

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

blk posted:

I could be mistaken, but I think all e36 m3s came with either Vaders or sports seats. Those look like they came out of a 318. Could be a cheap swap-in, of course. Like the wheels.

I like how he hates spammers but then keyword spams.

televiper fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 10, 2013

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I can't think of a single legitimate reason they would have driven the car more than 5 or 10 miles to diagnose your issues.

I'd be livid.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

blk posted:

If it is actually a 1999 then it can only be a real M3, as the only model-year 1999 E36 were M3s.

That's actually a fairly reasonable price for it. Carfax it and make sure it's really a 1999 M3. I love my '99 M3 'vert

televiper posted:

I could be mistaken, but I think all e36 m3s came with either Vaders or sports seats. Those look like they came out of a 318. Could be a cheap swap-in, of course.
The seat style isn't unlike that in my M3 except mine is a different color leather and has the M chevrons. I'm not entirely sure what to make of those seats without the M chevrons on them.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Local Cadillac dealership has a 2009 alpine white M3 coupe with 30k miles for $34750. I contacted them immediately and was told that it has a buyer in the process of buying it. :negative:

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Kenshin posted:

If it is actually a 1999 then it can only be a real M3, as the only model-year 1999 E36 were M3s.

e36 328 convertibles were out for 1999, if ebay is to be believed

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

I can't think of a single legitimate reason they would have driven the car more than 5 or 10 miles to diagnose your issues.

I'd be livid.

I don't know how far his house is, but it does seem excessive. He has discussed it with me before that he does not leave nice cars outside the shop, as theft is very regular there. A normal shop would probably have replaced the gas, but since he was checking it out for free he probably didn't think about it. I'm trying not to be livid.

As far as that E36 M3, for the '99 year the verts were still E36, the coupes and sedans had moved up to E46. May just be a tarted up 328i.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

blk posted:

Given the number of pictures he took of the M's I'd say its a good chance its not really a M3. Easiest way to tell is have him send you a picture of something stamped with the M. This could be a rear control arm, brake caliper, etc. Or, as others have noted, just look at the vin.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
A note on E9x 335 vs M3. If you drive them back to back you may be disappointed with the M3 in test-drive like conditions. At lower RPMs it isn't anything great, and actually kinda feels raw in a bad way, where the 335 has tons of torque right off the line and feels more refined due to the softer suspension and turbo-muffled exhaust. The M3 is pure insanity in 3rd above 5k though, like very little else in that price range, if anything.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

So 2 years ago I traded my e46 for a 2009 328i xdrive. It had 36000 miles on it. My old job had tons of travel and it now has 63k miles on it. I still owe 16k on it. A local dealer has an 09 335xi with 26k miles for $27000. If I get decent value on trade I'd be cutting my payment nearly in half at that price. It is not quite as loaded with options as mine, but I would part with my navigation for $190 lower monthly payments. What to do goons?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Tab8715 posted:

Are there any other good sites for trying to find a 3-Series Manual Wagon? I've been using AutoTrader and Ebay with limited luck.

Depends on what generation. For e46 your best bet is e46fanatics and sometimes bimmerforums, I've seen manual wagons listed both places. Expect to pay a premium for a good one, especially a sport package non-Xi. For e9x I'm not sure. But forums usually have the best examples.

Kenshin posted:

That's actually a fairly reasonable price for it. Carfax it and make sure it's really a 1999 M3. I love my '99 M3 'vert

The seat style isn't unlike that in my M3 except mine is a different color leather and has the M chevrons. I'm not entirely sure what to make of those seats without the M chevrons on them.

Only sedans weren't available in 99. Everything else was, M or non-M.

The easiest way to check a fake M3 is to get the VIN. All e36 M3s started with "WBS". Regular e36s start with "WBA".

Kenshin posted:

There were some M3 seats made without the stripes due to a leather shortage, but they will have the tri-stripes on the headrest. Those seats never came in an M3 - crappy bolstering, no thigh adjustment.

The sideskirts also aren't right, that is not a luxury interior but it has the luxury package skirts.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm leaning towards not an M3 but there's no way to tell for sure from those pics. If it is real, then it is a bad example of one.

E: No chance in hell. Notice how he says M3 "edition"? Also a 99 m3 wouldn't have a 5-speed.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

revmoo posted:

I'm leaning towards not an M3 but there's no way to tell for sure from those pics. If it is real, then it is a bad example of one.

E: No chance in hell. Notice how he says M3 "edition"? Also a 99 m3 wouldn't have a 5-speed.

My 99-M3 has a 5-speed.

US E36 M3s were 5-speed, Euros were 6-speed.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Deceptor101 posted:

Shop that may have hosed up my clutch...

Clearly these guys are trolling me and don't want the business. They just emailed me an estimate for $1200 in labor and $3900+tax total. They included everything touching the transmission/clutch, even a genuine BMW $1600 flywheel. Because gee, I'd sure spend that than the $40 to get it resurfaced....

Anyone know a good BMW shop in Berkeley/East Bay Area (CA)?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
If it's a dual mass flywheel you aren't supposed to resurface them. But if it's the first clutch change you can reuse it if the condition is good.

4000 loving dollars is comical though. 10 hours to do a clutch? I could do that on jackstands in my garage in that amount of time.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Only thing more hilarious than that price is the fact that you would even remotely consider bringing your car back to a shop that took your car for an 80+ mile joyride, burned half a tank of gas, and ruined your clutch.

Supposedly you can resurface the flywheel just fine if you jig it up right and actually get it flat, but the little damper spring deals also get worn out and there's not really a way to replace those.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

I called a machine shop that's done all my LeMons machining work, and he says he machines those all the time and it's pretty standard procedure. He offered to do the whole job for $1800, or machine the flywheel if I bring it in.

The only tricky thing is finding this specialty T60 socket. Anyone have one I can buy? Pelican can't ship it soon enough that it will be here for the job.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Kenshin posted:

Mystery E36

Ran the VIN, it's a 323i

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

No idea how close to actual mileage that is considering the odometer was busted at ~198k when I bought the car.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

blk posted:

Ran the VIN, it's a 323i

It also doesn't have M3 side mirrors, which was a dead giveaway to me, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

blk posted:

Kellye Blue Book Value is
11000 high (excellent condtion)
9300 low (Fair condition)
Priced below book for quick sale!

What a scumbag. KBB for an M3 might be that, but for a 323 convertible in excellent shape with that mileage: $5620.

This guy deserves a punch in the mouth.