Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

SquadronROE posted:

Seconding this, this game is the best. Audio is awful though.

Especially the dialogue. Could do away with 99% of it, really. And when you're looking at the airfield I hate how they have radio chatter as if that was a thing pilots had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there a trick to switching vehicles more than once in Space Agency? In mission 6 I attach the hub to the station, but then it won't let me switch back to the resupply vehicle to redock it.

edit: N/m, dragging the control pad around a little seems to fix it for no reason. I guess the dead zone around the control pad is bigger than it looks.

withak fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 10, 2013

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012

Bummey posted:

:siren: free game round up :siren:
Carmageddon - If you have to ask... http://appshopper.com/games/carmageddon-2

This doesnt seem to get enough love.
Free only today, 10th of march.

Also available for android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stainlessgames.carmageddonpromo

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Where can I find this new policy?

Where's that new policy? Sounds interesting.

It's mentioned on the Developer News page.

Apple posted:

Starting May 1, new apps and app updates submitted to the App Store must be built for iOS devices with Retina display and iPhone apps must also support the 4-inch display on iPhone 5.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Has anybody else encountered a glitch in Pixel People that causes an extra clone to appear in the Hotel? I have been trying to reclaim some space by moving people out of bigger homes or the 2 person houses and replacing them with tower but when I moved the mayor and the mechanic from the arrival centre I ended up with 2 mechanics in the hotel and now I can't shift the extra one at all. Tried hard resets an restarting my iPad already but nothing happened.

Also is anyone still playing Pocket Planes? The last post in he thread is my own from more han a week ago.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm just going to have to get a new iPad at some point. What in the world does Ace Patrol require a front-facing camera for?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Ace Patrol question - I quickly bought the All Nations Superpack - contrary to it's name did this not include the British? Or is there some iAP fuckery still going on.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

zoux posted:

I'm just going to have to get a new iPad at some point. What in the world does Ace Patrol require a front-facing camera for?
It's a way to block iPad 1 because the game needs an A5 chip (or 512mb RAM) and up.
Apple doesn't let you block apps based on specific device model, so developers are forced to block in other ways. Some of them require a higher firmware than was supported by the older hardware, some of them require a front-facing camera, and (more annoying) some require a digital compass.

The compass one is stupid because the latest iPod touch is more than capable of running every app.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

It's a way to block iPad 1 because the game needs an A5 chip (or 512mb RAM) and up.
Apple doesn't let you block apps based on specific device model, so developers are forced to block in other ways. Some of them require a higher firmware than was supported by the older hardware, some of them require a front-facing camera, and (more annoying) some require a digital compass.

The compass one is stupid because the latest iPod touch is more than capable of running every app.

Ah that makes more sense. Like I said I've been coasting on the iPad 1 for too long, I'm starting to run into the spec wall.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

zoux posted:

You sure it wasn't just asking for a gyroscope? I know it needs that as it uses it for a very cool free-look where you hold down a button and tilt to look around.

E: I'm slow. The camera thing is a smart way of shutting out older devices I guess.

Had to pick up a voucher on the way home, I need all the campaigns as this game is lush.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I thought Apple frowned on hardware limitations that weren't using that hardware. But I guess stuff slips through review.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

smackfu posted:

I thought Apple frowned on hardware limitations that weren't using that hardware. But I guess stuff slips through review.
Developers want to avoid the bazillion 1-star reviews from old device users saying "hey this game crashes on start-up on my iPad 1 / iPhone 3GS!"

I think it's just odd that Apple still doesn't allow limiting by specific device with a clear icon or text labeling which devices an app can work on. I think they want to give the illusion that stuff "just works." In reality, it doesn't.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

smackfu posted:

The most aggravating one for this, relatively recently, is The World Ends With You Solo Remix, where they restrict the iPhone version from even being emulated at 2x on the iPad version by secretly inserting some bullshit component requirement that iPads don't have, just to ensure people have to buy the iPad version as well.

Edit: just remembered, the iPhone version needs to detect camera flash functionality to even be installed, which never comes up in-game and really has nothing to do with system spec/performance.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 10, 2013

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
"This 1gb Xcom EU doesn't play on my ipad 1. 1 star. Ripoff. Want my money back"

Reviewers are so bad.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

I think it's just odd that Apple still doesn't allow limiting by specific device with a clear icon or text labeling which devices an app can work on. I think they want to give the illusion that stuff "just works." In reality, it doesn't.

I think it's reasonable to put the burden of making stuff work on the developer. Apple certainly shouldn't have to do it, and while it is reasonable to ask the user to review hardware requirements, only a tiny percentage will (generating the flood of 1 star reviews like you mentioned).

I think the real flaw in the system is the way Apple removes the simulator for older iOS releases from xcode, so developers are literally prevented from compatibility testing on old releases unless they keep a stockpile of old iPhones.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Leisure Suit Larry is coming:

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Android/Leisure+Suit+Larry+and+the+Land+of+the+Lounge+Lizards/news.asp?c=50732

I hope it does well enough for me to convince folks to do a reboot of RTZ.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Samara posted:

"This 1gb Xcom EU doesn't play on my ipad 1. 1 star. Ripoff. Want my money back"

Reviewers are so bad.

I don't think you can even buy stuff on the app store if it detects you're device won't run it. Like, I have a ipod touch 5 and it won't let me download ace patrol beacuse my device doesn't have a digital compass. When I had my 3rd gen touch it would not let me download solo remix.

[e] A bit late but, holy poo poo kingdom rush 2 this month! Kingdom Rush is legit the best tower defense game.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

porktree posted:

Ace Patrol question - I quickly bought the All Nations Superpack - contrary to it's name did this not include the British? Or is there some iAP fuckery still going on.

I think the description for the pack you bought says "American, French, German campaigns". Luckily, the British one is the cheapest at 99¢.

Edit: Yep, it's called the "Triple Pack"

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 10, 2013

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

xzzy posted:

I think it's reasonable to put the burden of making stuff work on the developer. Apple certainly shouldn't have to do it, and while it is reasonable to ask the user to review hardware requirements, only a tiny percentage will (generating the flood of 1 star reviews like you mentioned).

I think the real flaw in the system is the way Apple removes the simulator for older iOS releases from xcode, so developers are literally prevented from compatibility testing on old releases unless they keep a stockpile of old iPhones.

It's only really an issue with the iPad 1 99% of the time. Unlike iPhones, people seem to hold on to them and not upgrade very often, so there's still a fair number of first gen iPads out in the wild. The iPad 1, even back in 2010, was pretty weak as far as mobile devices go. The iPhone 4, which was only released a couple of months later, had double the ram and a faster processor among other improvements. It would kind of suck to limit developers to working on the hardware of the iPad 1 which is essentially weaker than even an 4th gen iPod.

iOS apps aren't like PC games. You can't add a ton of graphics settings and let users fool around with anti-aliasing or v-sync. You can make something that looks, runs and plays nice, and as a result needs more than 256MB of ram, or you can make something that will run on the iPad 1.

Weirdly enough, Apple doesn't really test apps on older hardware and as a result doesn't much care if an app released in 2013 just makes the iPad 1 poo poo itself. A lot of apps just have some variation on "DOESN'T WORK ON IPAD 1" in their descriptions if they don't go so far as to require forward facing cameras or iOS 6. I know Bastion just plain crashed on iPad 1's and it made it through review despite being listed as compatible with "iPad" for a while after it's initial release.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

DrManiac posted:

[e] A bit late but, holy poo poo kingdom rush 2 this month! Kingdom Rush is legit the best tower defense game.

It will be interesting to see how the RPG element to the heros will play out. I think that could add a fun element to an already awesome game base.

On to Ace Patrol, it appears I'm the only one not feeling this game. Just not my style I guess.

I had more fun with Tiny Troopers 2. Once you get the mechanics of dodging bullets down, this game is fairly easy.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

Det_no posted:

All these fit the bill:

Rebirth of Fortune
Spectral Souls

How are these? I know Spectral Souls has a free trial so I'll check that but I wouldn't mind hearing a bit more about it, especially since the unlock price tag is pretty steep. Rebirth of Fortune looks like a complete tactics ripoff. If I had to choose between it and FFT, keeping in mind that there's a $13 price differential, which one should I go for?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Magna Kaser posted:

Weirdly enough, Apple doesn't really test apps on older hardware and as a result doesn't much care if an app released in 2013 just makes the iPad 1 poo poo itself.

I think Apple's theory is, "if you want to block iPad 1, require iOS 6." In their opinion, no one should be running iOS 5 now.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Kenny Logins posted:

Currently stuck on this which is Mission 18. I'll update if I figure it out but I got as far as putting the survey satellite in orbit around Green and pointing it at the planet properly, then getting the atmospheric probe into "splashdown". I wasn't particular about where it went into atmospheric entry and made it 90% down before the booster controls disappeared and it exploded on impact. No progress on that data upload meter either.
As a Space Agency update, I was able to figure this one out and get gold. If you have the survey satellite perfectly lined up with its orbital path, then the actual satellite dish will be about 15-20 degrees off and the data won't upload. If you turn the satellite about that much towards the green planet's surface, and make the dish appear parallel to the surface, then it works. Annoyingly fidgety since if you have the satellite lined up with the orbital path then the objective triggers even though it really shouldn't.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Sidpret posted:

How are these? I know Spectral Souls has a free trial so I'll check that but I wouldn't mind hearing a bit more about it, especially since the unlock price tag is pretty steep. Rebirth of Fortune looks like a complete tactics ripoff. If I had to choose between it and FFT, keeping in mind that there's a $13 price differential, which one should I go for?

Spectral Souls is pretty average all around. The plot is nice and there's really nothing that fantastic or terrible about the game (other than the graphics for the virtual buttons)so it really depends on how much you like the 'Hold' and 'Charge' mechanics because they really are a big part of combat. On the bright side the game is pretty long and even has multiple endings so there's plenty of game to play.

Rebirth of Fortune is more like an extremely simple version of something like FFT. The combat is much simpler and has a timing element where you must tap a button at the right time to increase your damage; It also has no real plot or campaign and instead just has a bunch of skirmish maps that you must clear and unlock new character classes in the process. I honestly don't think it's worth it at the current price but it often goes on sale for a dollar or even free so I'd wait for that.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Quick question about Ace Patrol - is there any way to grind previous missions, to either get better maneuvers or complete enough missions to get a pilot out of the hospital?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
I accidentally deleted Space Agency. :gonk: All my progress, lost!

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

foobar posted:

Quick question about Ace Patrol - is there any way to grind previous missions, to either get better maneuvers or complete enough missions to get a pilot out of the hospital?

Not that I've seen.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

e: wrong thread, go red wings

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bummey posted:

If your backup is current you can just restore your phone!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Ace Patrol is so awesome. Sid, you know how to make the turn-based games that turn the key to my heart. :swoon:

I've been playing it almost non-stop while having to suffer through my family's yearly "all the women get together and squabble" festival that is Mother's Day weekend.

That said, has anyone gotten multiplayer to work? I sure as gently caress haven't.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bummey posted:

It uses iCloud to sync progress between devices, maybe it will reload your progress if you just reinstall?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

:argh: What is the point of Forced Landing in Ace Patrol if the game is just going to treat those planes as crashed even when you win the mission? I figured at the very least it'd avoid my guy getting captured.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

fount of knowledge posted:

:argh: What is the point of Forced Landing in Ace Patrol if the game is just going to treat those planes as crashed even when you win the mission? I figured at the very least it'd avoid my guy getting captured.

If you do a forced landing in your territory your guys are just hospitalized instead. :shepicide:

I've had it be useful in a few situations, though.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Does Ace Patrol have Cloud Sync?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

withak posted:

It uses iCloud to sync progress between devices, maybe it will reload your progress if you just reinstall?

It does! Huzzah!

Well, gently caress this spy satellite mission. I just can not dock with it in orbit. I never had this problem docking before. Got it.

Now, mission 8. Am I supposed to launch the satellite into orbit first, launch a second rocket to dock with it, and then fly to the moon and take pictures? I can't get a suitable satellite-equipped moon-range rocket off the ground.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 11, 2013

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Bummey posted:

It does! Huzzah!

Well, gently caress this spy satellite mission. I just can not dock with it in orbit. I never had this problem docking before. Got it.

Now, mission 8. Am I supposed to launch the satellite into orbit first, launch a second rocket to dock with it, and then fly to the moon and take pictures? I can't get a suitable satellite-equipped moon-range rocket off the ground.

I literally just completed that mission and I feel like an idiot for not remembering my combination, but I did it in one rocket. All I remember it is that the heavy tug module is key.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Bummey posted:

It does! Huzzah!

Just replayed it for gold. Use a medium-stage Black Arrow, medium-medium connector, medium-stage heavy tug, then satellite and medium fairing. Slap on boosters as you'll still be well under gold budget.

Hardest part is time, I did it with only 5 seconds to spare. That Black Arrow combo will get you through a lot of missions.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Anyone playing duel of champions? The free to play heroes of might and magic card game? I'm getting balked by the altar of the spider queen mission. :( I took the infernal deck starter, and have like 50k gold from duels. I was thinking of buying the 75k gold starter for the magic hero.

Anyone have a suggestion on better starters or packs to buy? I'm saving seals to just buy a box.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

Just replayed it for gold. Use a medium-stage Black Arrow, medium-medium connector, medium-stage heavy tug, then satellite and medium fairing. Slap on boosters as you'll still be well under gold budget.

Hardest part is time, I did it with only 5 seconds to spare. That Black Arrow combo will get you through a lot of missions.

Huh. That did it. Stupid weight limit poo poo. I wish the game showed weight thresholds and required thrust values.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Bummey posted:

Huh. That did it. Stupid weight limit poo poo. I wish the game showed weight thresholds and required thrust values.

This, I really wish there were listed weight limits.

• Locked thread