Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Poor Iggy really doesn't look happy at all. Glad he finally went number one though. Something tells me he is not a fan of the cone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
Poor Iggy. I'm glad he is recovering though! Tough it out, little cat. :3:

Our household has rediscovered the Favorite Toys, the puffballs that came with our Amarkat tower, recently. They had been shoved under the couch for weeks, and now that they're back our house is filled with the bonka-bonka of cats chasing each other for the puffball that one has. Does anybody know where I can get more of these?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I took the collar off my Mufasa last night and he must have hated that drat thing because he couldn't have been happier once it was gone.

Also he attacked it immediately.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
Ok I have a couple dumb questions about my felines.

One, in response to all the outdoor walking talk on the previous page. I would love to walk my indoor cats since we live in a a smallish apartment and I think it would help to wear them out. Right now my cats have zero interest in getting outside. They look out the window but don't usually look up when we open the front door. My question is, has anyone had a problem with their cat wanting to escape out the door more after going outside for walks? I'm worried it may cause a problem where we have to squeeze in and out so the cats don't escape. I have a friend who has a cat that used to be an outdoor cat and is now fully indoors. He is CONSTANTLY trying to squeeze under people's feet when they're coming or going. I don't want my cats to want to escape :ohdear:

ANOTHER question I have unrelated to walking is one of my kitties, Terra, has this weird compulsive scratching habit. When she goes in the litter box she NEVER covers her waste, but she tries SO HARD. She scratches at the edge of the box, and at the wall, and at the floor outside the box. Sometimes she just waves her paw in the air in a scratching motion. She'll do this for 10-15 minutes straight. Even if it's the first poop after I just cleaned the box, she still does it, so I don't think it's because the litter is dirty. In my small apartment the sound carries and sometimes she wakes me up in the middle of the night just SCRATCH SCRATCH SCRATCH SCRATCH SCRATCH SCRATCH SCRATCH SCRATCH SCRATCH SCRATCH

I have tried grabbing her paws and "helping" her bury her waste but she just struggles to get free and the lesson never sticks. I hate to chase her out of the box because I don't want her to start pooping outside the box, but I need sleep.
Is she just a :downs: cat? Can anyone give tips on how to fix it? I've heard the suggestion of getting a bigger box, but my bathroom is so small I'd rather not if I can avoid it.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Nione posted:

Edit: Went and saw him tonight. He's not happy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJNIDAh2aVY

But then the vet's office called a few minutes ago and told me he peed! So he gets to come home tomorrow, which we are all really happy about.

I love the sound really angry cats make. It's such a deep, primal growl. It's a sound wholly unsuited for such small, adorable animals.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
My wife has been even more crazy for cats than usual for the past month or so, and now one of our friends has a five week old kitten that needs a home. Commence the heavy hinting, nudging, and then outright begging. I stood my ground in denying it, but secretly I've been asking our friend more about the cat. The timing would work out pretty well since my wife is finishing up law school on Monday and will be able to be around for the summer while she studies for the bar exam. Turns out the kitten's mom is a stray that hangs out on his aunt's neighbor's farm and this particular kitten was being harassed by the dog, which led to his aunt taking it into her house. He spent the day at the vet and there aren't any problems, but no shots etc done yet. Our friend didn't know what the situation is with the rest of the litter, he just knew his aunt has the one kitten and he needed a home.

Well, I guess I have a cat now. I even called my parents hoping to get my dad to talk me out of it but my mom picked up and just gushed for ten minutes (she doesn't even like cats!). Our friend will be coming back to the city on Sunday and bringing the kitten with him. I haven't told my wife of my backdoor dealings but I'll be telling her later tonight when she gets back from her exam. I 100% know she will be thrilled but "surprise here's an animal" is never a good idea so I figured I should let her know while we can still potentially weasel out of it. Plus, this gives her a couple days to be excited and direct all that gratitude and happiness toward me without a cat to distract her. I have some questions as I make preparations:

1. I see the FAQ says cat+1 for litter boxes and obviously this is ideal, but how necessary is it really? I can barely find one spot to put a litter box in our apartment that isn't just out there in the middle of everything.
  2. There's no litter guide in there :(. Are there any brands that are particularly dusty/bad at covering stink/whatever that I should avoid?
  3. Oh God what have I done?

Here's a picture since you seem to like that:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Comrayn posted:

1. I see the FAQ says cat+1 for litter boxes and obviously this is ideal, but how necessary is it really? I can barely find one spot to put a litter box in our apartment that isn't just out there in the middle of everything.
  2. There's no litter guide in there :(. Are there any brands that are particularly dusty/bad at covering stink/whatever that I should avoid?
  3. Oh God what have I done?

I only have one litterbox for 2 cats and it's fine. If I were starting over with new litterbox & new litter materials, I'd do this one. Pine pellet litter is amazing at covering smells and hardly tracks. You can also buy them cheaper when they're not dedicated cat litter but I forget what they are in that case. Someone else help.

p.s. Kitten poop is unbelievably noxious and will make you wish you didn't have a nose. Your little dude is rather young so he might not know how to bury, either. Show him by digging with his paw. He may or may not pick up on it. Also, kittens are INCREDIBLY ENERGETIC. It would perhaps not be a bad plan to get one of his siblings, too. They really do wear each other out and help socialize one another.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
1. For what it's worth, I have one litter box between two cats, and it gets scooped once a day. It is admittedly a slightly larger box than normal, but both cats use it without any issues and have only ever pooped outside the box when they were sick (or trying to poo poo out the nipple of a baby bottle).
2. Can't comment on litter brands because the US has a million options and we have like 3.
3. You may feel this several times over the next few weeks. When I got Decoy and he was 10 weeks old and running around like a crazy fucker and trying to climb up me with his razor sharp kitten claws and refused to sit still and basically wanted to maim everything I owned, I had a moment like this. It passes. Kittens are assholes - cats are awesome.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
The caveat to ignoring the # of cats + 1 rule for litterboxes is that if it works okay, that's fine, but IF a cat in the household develops litterbox-related problems, that should probably be one of the first things you fix.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Topoisomerase posted:

The caveat to ignoring the # of cats + 1 rule for litterboxes is that if it works okay, that's fine, but IF a cat in the household develops litterbox-related problems, that should probably be one of the first things you fix.

Yes. And of course scoop it every day and keep it clean for best chance of success.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
Charlie (my cat) is incoming 1 June. I'm getting ready for her but I'm presented with a maybe issue as I don't know how she will react.

Here in Japan it gets super hot/humid. I have AC, but for when I don't want to run that I can open windows and doors.

#1 shows my big balcony door fitted with mosquito netting. I could leave the netting shut, but if Charlie gets it into her head I'm sure she could tear a hole (she has all her claws and I will not declaw her, but I will clip them periodically)

#2 is a smaller window with mosquito netting

#3 I have two of these smaller windows that will prop open and have no netting, but they do have bars I assume to keep cats from getting on the ledge, but if she wanted to leap out she could... Four stories down 0_o

Ideas?

In the house I lived at (where she is now) we never opened the windows but whenever I got home she would get past my legs to go in the hallway (enclosed) so I'm worried :(

feverish and oversexed fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 11, 2013

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I'll go with that pine litter but it looks like they don't carry that box in petsmart or petco. I have to go with one of those since I don't have time to order things online before the kitten arrives and a quick google search didn't turn up non-chain pet supply stores nearby. I find that hard to believe though considering I'm in the middle of Houston so I'll need to do some more looking. If it works as well as the site claims ("The litter box never has to be changed again.") and there isn't something at the store I can trust to make that statement, I'll consider picking up some cheap thing to use until it arrives.

Another litter question: the easiest place for us to put a box is in the spare bedroom closet, door always open of course. Am I just asking for trouble putting it so out of the way? Our apartment is only about 1000 square feet 2 bedroom 2 bath. I also use the room as an office, or in other words, I plop my lazy rear end down at the desk in here and play videogames for hours on end while my wife's disdain for me slowly grows. I also just realized her parents will be staying in this room Memorial day weekend for her graduation and that's another potential cat issue. I know some accidents are inevitable, but I want to do everything I can to minimize them.

As for cats are assholes - get two, the one was all that was really mentioned as needing a home and our friend didn't know what the situation is with the rest of them when I had asked. I'll talk to my wife about it tonight and if we decide to go for it I'll call him tomorrow and ask him to dig for me. If we decide we really desperately need two and he has no siblings in need there are always tons of kittens people are trying to get rid of on craigslist.

Thanks for the help!

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW-DIPVDpYM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Can someone please tell me if this looks okay or not? Never been any blood as far as we could tell. But there is always fur bitten off.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Comrayn posted:

I'll go with that pine litter but it looks like they don't carry that box in petsmart or petco. I have to go with one of those since I don't have time to order things online before the kitten arrives and a quick google search didn't turn up non-chain pet supply stores nearby. I find that hard to believe though considering I'm in the middle of Houston so I'll need to do some more looking. If it works as well as the site claims ("The litter box never has to be changed again.") and there isn't something at the store I can trust to make that statement, I'll consider picking up some cheap thing to use until it arrives.

Another litter question: the easiest place for us to put a box is in the spare bedroom closet, door always open of course. Am I just asking for trouble putting it so out of the way? Our apartment is only about 1000 square feet 2 bedroom 2 bath. I also use the room as an office, or in other words, I plop my lazy rear end down at the desk in here and play videogames for hours on end while my wife's disdain for me slowly grows. I also just realized her parents will be staying in this room Memorial day weekend for her graduation and that's another potential cat issue. I know some accidents are inevitable, but I want to do everything I can to minimize them.

As for cats are assholes - get two, the one was all that was really mentioned as needing a home and our friend didn't know what the situation is with the rest of them when I had asked. I'll talk to my wife about it tonight and if we decide to go for it I'll call him tomorrow and ask him to dig for me. If we decide we really desperately need two and he has no siblings in need there are always tons of kittens people are trying to get rid of on craigslist.

Thanks for the help!

Spare bedroom closet is fine so long as he can always get there. The pine litter I'd mainly recommend if you can get a box like that because it's annoying to scoop otherwise- you have to dump it all once a week or so. Get a cheap tub (use like a foil roasting pan, even) and try different litters till you find one you like. It ends up being a very personal choice.

Slickdrac posted:

Can someone please tell me if this looks okay or not? Never been any blood as far as we could tell. But there is always fur bitten off.

I mean, they sound kind of nasty, but I don't think they're too serious about it? The grey one keeps looking off at other things. What about right before the fights? In a 'real' cat fight, it's usually going to be preceded by some posturing and growling and maybe hissing, OR it'll be a surprise motherfucker ambush kind of thing. That's just my instinct as a cat lady, but I can't say for sure off a video. I just looked back at your posts and it seems like they've only been in full contact since around April 19, yeah? That's still not actually super long, so I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Have they been doing this constantly or does it tend to precede foodtime?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

leftover posted:

Charlie (my cat) is incoming 1 June. I'm getting ready for her but I'm presented with a maybe issue as I don't know how she will react.

Here in Japan it gets super hot/humid. I have AC, but for when I don't want to run that I can open windows and doors.

#1 shows my big balcony door fitted with mosquito netting. I could leave the netting shut, but if Charlie gets it into her head I'm sure she could tear a hole (she has all her claws and I will not declaw her, but I will clip them periodically)

#2 is a smaller window with mosquito netting

#3 I have two of these smaller windows that will prop open and have no netting, but they do have bars I assume to keep cats from getting on the ledge, but if she wanted to leap out she could... Four stories down 0_o

Ideas?

In the house I lived at (where she is now) we never opened the windows but whenever I got home she would get past my legs to go in the hallway (enclosed) so I'm worried :(
Netting or screen doors? Big difference here; netting won't do poo poo, but cats can climb up screen doors(then drop off when they get stuck). If you have a screen door, it should be fine if you can secure the screen door shut, as so long as your cats aren't jonesing to break out(just supervise them at first)

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
The two with mosquito screens are actual slid able screens. While they don't have a latch to completely secure them the edge to draw them open wouldn't be big enough for her to use her nose to open, though I could easily just install a simple catch/lock

I had a dog who ripped through a similar screen to get into the house during a storm that freaked her out which is why I'm worried a cat with claws might rip them open.

So far it seems that while I'm at home I supervise how she acts with the screen, keep the unscreened windows shut, and close it all up when I'm away from home

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
So I took in a stray cat for a few hours to see how he would do. Everything was going great (he slept) until we fed him and our other two cats. After that he got the confidence to explore a bit more. Well, he went right to our front door, which leads into a common area not an exterior door, and sprayed on the door. He is neutered which is concerning. I cleaned it with natures miracle and he went back 15 minutes later and tried to do it again but I clapped my hands so he ran away from it.

Its 2:40 in the morning so I moved him back outside for the night until I figure out if this is a problem or not. Don't want him to get run of the apartment all night unsupervised. Any reason why he would spray there? Is this a fixable problem?

Rand Fan 420
Aug 3, 2005

I moved to a new city recently and haven't had time to set up a new vet for my cats yet (they're due for their yearly), but something happened that has me a little concerned. I'm going to set up an appointment ASAP but I wanted to get your input on it as well. I currently have two male cats, shorthairs, both almost 3 years old and got them from a shelter at ~6 months. They're on w/d dry food, and have been for over a year (since the one i'm not asking about gets tummy problems from anything else). Inside only. No litterbox problems, just one that they happily share. No health problems so far.

One of my cats used to be feral and is REALLY skittish. When I went away recently he hid from the catsitter under the stove on the last day I was gone and got stuck - I think he was only there for about 6 hours or so, but by the time I got home he was worked up into a horrible panic and howling. That was about four days ago. Yesterday, I noticed that he had some kind of weird lesion on his belly, right where it meets his leg. It almost feels like there's something glued to his fur, the skin is all scaly and dark (possibly dried blood?) and the fur is matted. Today, I discovered that there was another patch like this on his side, where the hair seemed loose. The skin there was bright pink, not red, though. And then I found a third similar one further up his belly. I can't find any other spots like that, and when I poke and prod at them he doesn't freak out at all so I don't think they're painful. I also haven't noticed him scratching/biting those places excessively, and his mood is totally normal, even maybe extra happy. Sleeping, bathroom habits, all totally fine.

At first I was afraid he'd somehow spontaneously contracted ringworm, but there's no fur loss as far as i can tell and it's all on the lower bits of him, none on his head/neck. And he and my other cat lick, cuddle, bite, and play with each other all day long, and my other cat has no weird skin issues whatsoever, so I don't think it's anything contagious. I'm wondering if maybe he got an insect bite from some weird bug under the stove, or scratched himself in a panic and now I'm just seeing the irritation and dried blood? Should I be more worried than I am? Like I said, I'll try to get a vet appointment lined up ASAP but I wanted to have you guys weigh in on it first. He has dark gray fur that's really thick so my attempts to get a picture of the things were sadly unsuccessful. Thank you!

Edit: in my plea for your help I give you his fuzzy belly. Look how fuzzy it is, that fuzziness must be preserved

Rand Fan 420 fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 11, 2013

Blinks
May 9, 2004
Just cos a rape kit came up positive, that doesn't mean she was raped!
Hi CatGoons,

Maybe it is just Arthur Cat having fun, but I'm a first time cat owner and haven't encountered this.

Arthur is:
- Age: nearly 4 (estimated, as he was a stray from a rescue home)
- Sex: M
- How long have you had your cat? Almost a year
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Y
- What food do you use? n/a
- When was your last vet visit? About a year ago
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Both
- How many pets in your household? Just him
- How many litter boxes do you have? 1

Recently the weather has got better and Arthur has been back outside during the days while I have been at work. I've come home a few times and he is sat chilling in the bushes with a ginger cat. That's cool, he's making friends :)

A few weeks ago I got a text off my neighbour saying that Arthur had been fighting with a cat in their garden, I got my shoes on and went looking for him. I walked round our area and found hom being rather standoff-ish with the ginger cat I mentioned earlier. I think they were play fighting to be honest, maybe flexing their muscles about territory as his tail was really bushy. The ginger cat was the instigator running off when challenged, then running back, having a bit of a scrap and then doing a runner again. I think they were playing. The fights lasted for less than ten seconds and then the ging would run off but in most 'fights' it would end up on it's back, thus making me think it was playful fighting rather than serious because it was acting quite submissive, repeatedly dropping onto it's back.

Then poo poo got real. It started off as what I think was playfighting again, but then the claws came out and proper biting occured, hissing, wailing and other ungodly sounds were heard. I marched over to scare them both into stopping, which fortunately they did. Arthur left the fight (on top) with a clump of the ginger cats fur in his mouth. Was this something to be concerned about? Did I overreact?

Last night it was time for Arthur to come in, he was nowhere to be seen in the garden and didn't come when I jangled my keys or called him (good dog) so I went for a walk around the area again and found them both at it again. Arthur was pretty chill and the other cat who's owner was out in her dressing gown across the field was trying to tempt Olly (gingers name) away with treats, as you can imagine niether cat was interested in coming in, they just focussed on starte downs and fighting. It took me about 20 minutes to get him indoors and even then he was wriggling out of my arms (he doesn't like being picked up normally, let alone when he is in beast mode) and spent another good half an hour meowing at the front door.

I don't know what it is with these two cats, I don't know if it is a bromance or if it's a hatred. It's mostly the Ginger, (who's owner was also out trying to call him in) starting poo poo, chasing after Arthur, but then it lays down submissively during the fight and lets Arthur mawl him. Then it gets annoyed and Arthur chases him off. And repeat.

I won't lie and say I am not proud of him for coming out on top during these scuffles but is it something I should be aware of and trying to persuade them to stop scrapping. Does anyone have tips on my next course of action? I love my Arthur Cat and while he is not being bossed around (which is a relief as he is pretty dumb sometimes) I'd hate to come home, for the fights to have go serious and him to be bleeding and injured.

Am I overreacting? Is it just playful cats? Help me out please Goons!

Bonus pictures of the heavyweight champion of my street:

TL;DR Arthur is playfighting (I think) it gets serious, what should I do?

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Polish posted:

So I took in a stray cat for a few hours to see how he would do. Everything was going great (he slept) until we fed him and our other two cats. After that he got the confidence to explore a bit more. Well, he went right to our front door, which leads into a common area not an exterior door, and sprayed on the door. He is neutered which is concerning. I cleaned it with natures miracle and he went back 15 minutes later and tried to do it again but I clapped my hands so he ran away from it.

Its 2:40 in the morning so I moved him back outside for the night until I figure out if this is a problem or not. Don't want him to get run of the apartment all night unsupervised. Any reason why he would spray there? Is this a fixable problem?

If he's been a stray cat all his life, you may never be able to stop the spraying behavior, especially since your place already smells like your cats. I'm actually surprised that you brought another cat into your house and none of them exploded with rage at seeing A STRANGE CAT.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Serella posted:

If he's been a stray cat all his life, you may never be able to stop the spraying behavior, especially since your place already smells like your cats. I'm actually surprised that you brought another cat into your house and none of them exploded with rage at seeing A STRANGE CAT.

We think someone just threw him out when they moved or got evicted or something since he was neutered. They have been socializing with each other through a screened window for a few weeks. Our older cat is so calm he doesn't care about anything. The younger cat is still hissing and sometimes swatting.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Polish posted:

We think someone just threw him out when they moved or got evicted or something since he was neutered. They have been socializing with each other through a screened window for a few weeks. Our older cat is so calm he doesn't care about anything. The younger cat is still hissing and sometimes swatting.

Yeah, I had wondered if that was the case, since stray adults don't usually take to home life very quickly. Just keep doing what you're doing, distracting him from spraying and cleaning up every time with Nature's Miracle. You may also want to try adding another litterbox to your home. Spraying has very little to do with actually needing to pee, but it can't hurt to give him a fresh new option in the house that doesn't already smell like the other two cats.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Slickdrac posted:

Finally got a good recording of my two cats playing where you can hear the noises that Grey makes throughout. About a minute in, you can see Loki yanked out hair (this still happens quite a bit). Two minutes in you can see his low blows, which is when Grey makes the worst noises. The noises are just constant when they are playing though.

Page late, but this is kitty MMA if I've ever seen it.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Dear Cat Thread,

Both our cats have really stinky loving poos and I am getting tired of trying not to gag while scooping their poop boxes. I would be happy to invest in one of those automatic scooping contraptions, except at least one of my cats is primarily a user of open top litter boxes - I've never seen her use the covered one. As far as I know, all robotic scoopers are covered. Does anyone have any experience migrating a cat from an open litter box to an automatic one? Are there maybe super secret open top auto-scoopers for eccentric millionaires only or something? I mean at the end of the day the current system is still preferable to scraping cat poo poo out of the carpet - so if it can't be done it can't be done. But oh god I would really like it to be done.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Mr. Wynand posted:

Dear Cat Thread,

Both our cats have really stinky loving poos and I am getting tired of trying not to gag while scooping their poop boxes. I would be happy to invest in one of those automatic scooping contraptions, except at least one of my cats is primarily a user of open top litter boxes - I've never seen her use the covered one. As far as I know, all robotic scoopers are covered. Does anyone have any experience migrating a cat from an open litter box to an automatic one? Are there maybe super secret open top auto-scoopers for eccentric millionaires only or something? I mean at the end of the day the current system is still preferable to scraping cat poo poo out of the carpet - so if it can't be done it can't be done. But oh god I would really like it to be done.

I have this and it's pretty cool. The cover comes off. But what are you feeding them?

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Serella posted:

Yeah, I had wondered if that was the case, since stray adults don't usually take to home life very quickly. Just keep doing what you're doing, distracting him from spraying and cleaning up every time with Nature's Miracle. You may also want to try adding another litterbox to your home. Spraying has very little to do with actually needing to pee, but it can't hurt to give him a fresh new option in the house that doesn't already smell like the other two cats.

Yeah, just got another litter box.. we had a temporary one set up for him which he may or may not of used. He has been sitting at the open window (Screen down) most of the day today. He started freaking out and clawing at the window so I let him out and he went out and peed and pooped. He ran off somewhere since it started raining, which is good so we can run the vacuum and set up his new box.

I figure to just keep letting him go outside occasionally until he gets used to indoor life.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Drink and Fight posted:

I have this and it's pretty cool. The cover comes off. But what are you feeding them?

GI good and elderly cat food (they are both old fars is I'm pretty sure the only problem here).

So that thing works without a cover? Because if so, awwwsssommmm.

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama
Hey yall I have a quick question for people with experience moving long distances with their cat(s).

I have two adult cats in healthy condition that I want to take with me when I move from one city to another. The problem is the drive is 18 hours over 2 days. Are there any alternative ways to get my cats over there or should they be fine in the car for 9 hours, a hotel break, and then another 9 hours? They are always really calm when we take them to the vet in their little carriers but I'm worried about what to do about their food/water/waste in my car.

They have all their shots and health certificates and everything so all that has been taken care of. Now it's just the logistics that need sorting out. Any advice/help would be appreciated. Been thinking about shipping them up but the prices are insane and I'm on a budget.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Any experience with this? http://www.costco.ca/Catgenie-120-Self-Washing-Self-Flushing-Cat-Box.product.100012952.html

It looks like a lower cost per use.... The ScoopFree cartridge things are kind of bulky. They ship them free within the US but we're in Canada.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Blinks posted:

TL;DR Arthur is playfighting (I think) it gets serious, what should I do?

I have two cats and they do a hell of a lot of playfighting outside. The lying down on the ground thing that Olly is doing may not be submissive, in our household that's what we call The Broadside - it lets the cat use all four sets of claws AND bite, so if the other cat goes in for the belly or neck the cat on the ground can grab their head and bunnykick the poo poo out of the other cat's face. It is the favourite fighting pose of our dominant cat, although most of the time he doesn't have his claws out.

We haven't had too much trouble with our cats and other cats because our cats prefer to try and bro it out before fighting, and if the stranger cat isn't up for friendly overtures then they attack as a team and chase them away. When they were kittens and easy targets for random mogs, I used to keep an eye on them in the garden and hit any strange cat with a jet from the hose - there are a couple of super surly and fighty cats in our neighbourhood who avoid our yard because of the consistent hosing they get if they so much as show their face. Maybe you need to turn the hose on Olly to teach him that your garden is a Bad Place so he doesn't keep coming over to start fights?

Otherwise you don't really have much option except to restrict his access outside if you want to avoid war wounds. We keep our cats inside at night and when we aren't home, and have successfully avoided any random cat fight injuries.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 11, 2013

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

So is this everyone else's cat, or what?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I was just watching "My Cat from Hell" and one of the women on it was surfing SA. I'm sure people already know about this but I thought it was cool. The cats in question are Kali, Tokyo and Godzilla.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
That is Forums poster Scunish.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
I yawned in the cat's face and she stuck a paw in my mouth. :catstare:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

slingshot effect posted:

"Yeah, see how you like it!"

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

slingshot effect posted:

You have to up the ante. I am currently waiting to get toast in my cats mouth when she yawns

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Just bought a clicker :toot: if you're smart enough to learn to play fetch and try to open doorknobs on your own, Decoy, you're smart enough to learn stupid tricks for my amusement.

I've never clicker trained anything, let alone a cat, so this could be an exercise in futility. Right now I am just trying to get him to associate the click with Happy Times (ham). I think he is on the road to sort of getting it.

Hugo's reaction to the click is to fall on the ground. Unfortunately that is also his reaction to everything in the universe :downs:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Superb, thanks for posting that link, it made my day. Like many cat owners I tend to imagine what the cat is saying at various situations so that video hit the spot.

Blinks
May 9, 2004
Just cos a rape kit came up positive, that doesn't mean she was raped!

Tamarillo posted:

I have two cats and they do a hell of a lot of playfighting outside. The lying down on the ground thing that Olly is doing may not be submissive, in our household that's what we call The Broadside - it lets the cat use all four sets of claws AND bite, so if the other cat goes in for the belly or neck the cat on the ground can grab their head and bunnykick the poo poo out of the other cat's face. It is the favourite fighting pose of our dominant cat, although most of the time he doesn't have his claws out.

We haven't had too much trouble with our cats and other cats because our cats prefer to try and bro it out before fighting, and if the stranger cat isn't up for friendly overtures then they attack as a team and chase them away. When they were kittens and easy targets for random mogs, I used to keep an eye on them in the garden and hit any strange cat with a jet from the hose - there are a couple of super surly and fighty cats in our neighbourhood who avoid our yard because of the consistent hosing they get if they so much as show their face. Maybe you need to turn the hose on Olly to teach him that your garden is a Bad Place so he doesn't keep coming over to start fights?

Otherwise you don't really have much option except to restrict his access outside if you want to avoid war wounds. We keep our cats inside at night and when we aren't home, and have successfully avoided any random cat fight injuries.

Thanks for the reply Tamarillo,

In all fairness, they have only been spotted in my garden together once, but Olly has been in a few times, Arthur puffs up at the patio doors and it's pretty funny to see him get fired up. I never let him out in that situation, though, but maybe I should go out and scare Olly off, with a hose or something different. I've seen Arthur bunnykick his toy squirrel (poor squirrel) but with Olly he is the dominant one, Olly doesn't really get going in the fights but like I said it's turned nasty before. I really don't want to restrict him from going out because he loves adventuring (I currently live on a new build estate, so there are plenty of fields, building sites and theres a farm across the road for him to explore) and will happily mosey around while we are out. These battles mostly occur at around 8pm in the evening, so maybe I should bring him in earlier. Thanks for the advice, it's given me plenty to think on, I just hope it's more of a bromance than anything.

I've been trying to convince my Mrs to get another cat, a sidekick for Arthur, I think he could do with a playmate and some back up, but she'd rather have another baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benjai
Jun 26, 2007
Waaaaaaah, my stupid idiot of a cat! He has always been super tolerant and flexible and adaptable, it seriously took him like three days to be okay with us getting a second cat. It's almost two months later and they're total bros. Then my roomie's mom's cat needed a place to stay, so we figured we'd try it out, since Batman has always been so good with change.

Well she left two weeks ago and he immediately started acting weird. Took me four days to figure out he was trying to pee but seemed unable to - it also got worse. Didn't really realize until he tried to pee on the bathroom mat. And in the tub. And hallway carpet. And my roomie's plants. He only got tiny spots of pee out and was trying to go pee constantly, so off to the vet we went. Vet said he most likely had an inflamed bladder so we got a pain med to give for five days. Treatment ended Tuesday morning.

He started acting weird again last night, using the box more, meowing, but since he's still really active we hoped it would pass. Woke up this morning and he's on the bathroom mat trying to pee. Sighed and figured so long as he wasn't at a complete stop we could wait until office hours tomorrow. Until I saw the pee puddle in the tub, and it was red. I didn't even drink coffee, we just called up the vet and went there.

We got more meds and we need to turn in a urin sample once he starts peeing normally. So I guess I actually have a question. What are good ways to collect a pee sample when you're dirt poor from med/vet costs and cant afford one of those kits from the pet store?