Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Kids watch Power Rangers these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
What makes it is the A or B choice between:

A) A little kid recognized a sound effect from a 20 year old show.

B) His ringtone is from a more recent Power Rangers series.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

John Murdoch posted:

What makes it is the A or B choice between:

A) A little kid recognized a sound effect from a 20 year old show.

B) His ringtone is from a more recent Power Rangers series.

They remastered the original series a few years ago, so it's actually fairly credible that a little kid would know it. It's also on Netflix, so I could see parents using that when their kids want a Power Rangers fix. I don't know how popular the original series is after that, though, so who knows if it's still likely but it is possible.

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

leave a sign ... something witchy

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

imminent beating to a pulp
There's a guy in Power Rangers named Zack. Maybe the actor wrote that? Or was that posted by a goon's Facebook friend?

Edgar Death
Mar 15, 2013

quote:

There's a guy in Power Rangers named Zack. Maybe the actor wrote that? Or was that posted by a goon's Facebook friend?

There's a lamebook watermark and there is no reason for whoever the actor is that played Zack on Power Rangers to make up a bullshit story about shopping at the mall with his mom and refer to himself by a misspelling of his character's name

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

[Quote= Edgar Death" post="415341172"]
There's a lamebook watermark and there is no reason for whoever the actor is that played Zack on Power Rangers to make up a bullshit story about shopping at the mall with his mom and refer to himself by a misspelling of his character's name
[/quote]

Alright, alright, settle down tough guy.

Here, have some STDH:

quote:

This troper had great fun exploiting her boarding school's loopholes. Before her exploits, there were no rules against electing pet rocks as dorm proctors, sitting on dorm rooftops, climbing in the space above the ceiling tiles, storing candy, balloons, confetti, etc in the space above the ceiling tiles, serving 'breakfast in bed' to the entire dorm at 5 AM, faking a murder scene with the drama teacher;s borrowed fake blood, using Magic Markers to decorate the ceilings (walls were forbidden), covering one's entire dorm room in wrapping-paper-as-wallpaper, tying crepe paper and/or ribbons to fans, spiking the decaf coffee with caffeine shots, temporarily altering a lock so keys are ineffectual (it was temporary, jeesh!), or using fencing foils outside of the gym.

I can't help but chuckle at the thought of someone opening a ceiling tile and having this dips hit fall out screaming.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Sawboss Jones posted:

Here, have some STDH:

I can't help but chuckle at the thought of someone opening a ceiling tile and having this dips hit fall out screaming.

I've never seen anyone try so hard to (pretend to) be a Manic Pixie Dream Girl.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Sawboss Jones posted:

Here, have some STDH:

I'm guessing that at least a few of those happened, just heavily embellished or twisted to sound more interesting than they actually were. For example "temporarily altering a lock so keys are ineffectual" wouldn't sound as cool if they had just written "I stuck some gum in a lock once".

Is that giant file with all the Troper Tales still around somewhere? I thought someone (Namtab?) made a file (possibly actually named shitthatdidnthappen.txt?) before they were all taken down, and it should be an absolute goldmine.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sawboss Jones posted:

Here, have some STDH:

There are no rules against not having common loving sense, so that means I should go hog wild!

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Fuego Fish posted:

I've never seen anyone try so hard to (pretend to) be a Manic Pixie Dream Girl.

You don't live on campus.

There's a girl on one of my classes who wears cat ears and a tail every day.

I actually believe a lot of those stories. Or, rather, I believe a lot of those were attempted, but either everyone got mad or they were ignored outside of like her friends.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Yeah, college freshmen do some dumb things to try and be "zany." But what I don't understand is that, as over the top and fake as that story is, if it were true, wouldn't that be the most insufferable person alive? What's the benefit of spreading insane stories that make you look like an rear end in a top hat?

"Sorry you guys have to study for finals so I'm waking you all up for breakfast at 5 in the morning! And then I'm going to tie poo poo to the ceiling fans!"

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

It gets worse. Troper Tales are an untapped goldmine for this thread, with stories that put most STDH already posted here to shame. It's the only place you can get stuff like "That kid... is inhuman!" and that guy that claimed he found out a bunch of bullies' greatest fears, locked them in a school room and scared them so badly they pissed themselves. I'd post more, but I'm posting from a phone.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Mister Roboto posted:

You don't live on campus.

Oh God, university. That brings back unpleasant memories.

(I'm old :corsair:)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Here you go.

quote:

This troper has one of these in the form of fighting. See, my brother and I got into a fight with a few toughs from our school that we had liberally cheesed off. I'm fairly sure it was from a tekken game or something, but when one of them tried to punch me, I used one hand to direct his hand harmlessly over my head, then used my other hand to hit him just below the shoulder, and another blow a little higher beside the shoulder. I found out later that I had cracked his collarbone (one of the single worst injuries a person can get. ugh.) and my brother, who went to a martial arts school at night while I elected to stay home, was genuinely impressed by the move.

I totally learned martial arts from Tekken, you guys!

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

crowfeathers posted:

Yeah, college freshmen do some dumb things to try and be "zany." But what I don't understand is that, as over the top and fake as that story is, if it were true, wouldn't that be the most insufferable person alive? What's the benefit of spreading insane stories that make you look like an rear end in a top hat?

Watch a few videos/pictures of goonmeets. They're the most embarassingly un-selfaware things possible. Awkward "funny" sexual posing, awkward conversations about operating systems in real life, awkward 1 girl to 10 guy ratios, etc.

Goons do all of that insufferable garbage too. Didn't some goons try and humiliate the band SmashMouth with some eggs and ended up looking ridiculous?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Mister Roboto posted:

Watch a few videos/pictures of goonmeets. They're the most embarassingly un-selfaware things possible. Awkward "funny" sexual posing, awkward conversations about operating systems in real life, awkward 1 girl to 10 guy ratios, etc.

Goons do all of that insufferable garbage too. Didn't some goons try and humiliate the band SmashMouth with some eggs and ended up looking ridiculous?

I think everyone came out looking ridiculous in that particular saga. Although it was all for charity and they did succeed in getting Smash Mouth to sort of do what they wanted, the whole thing sounds like kind of a clusterfuck.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Sawboss Jones posted:

that guy that claimed he found out a bunch of bullies' greatest fears, locked them in a school room and scared them so badly they pissed themselves.

Go on...

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

Sawboss Jones posted:

Here, have some STDH:

Those pranks are so weak, it's embarrassing to see someone bother to lie about pulling them off (except the one where she stages a murder scene, maybe).

"Hey, guys, guess what, I put caffeine shots in all the decaf coffee! Tee hee!"
"Yeah, hilarious, Troper, you subjected everyone to slightly higher levels of artificial stimulant than normal. You're truly the loving Queen of Zany and you live life on the edge."

Mister Roboto posted:

Goonmeets

The only truly awkward thing about the ones I've attended is being the oldest there by about 10 years. :smith:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

General Panic posted:

Those pranks are so weak, it's embarrassing to see someone bother to lie about pulling them off (except the one where she stages a murder scene, maybe).

"Hey, guys, guess what, I put caffeine shots in all the decaf coffee! Tee hee!"
"Yeah, hilarious, Troper, you subjected everyone to slightly higher levels of artificial stimulant than normal. You're truly the loving Queen of Zany and you live life on the edge."

This one made me grumpy because it could have had some consequences. What if someone who wasn't supposed to have caffeine drank it and had a bad reaction? (Cue ten goons telling me I'm an idiot because they found some article somewhere that says caffeine consumption has no negative consequences for anyone anywhere ever :science:.)

NotAlwaysRomantic posted:

(I am a regular in my favorite store for comics, books and board-games. The owner is a big fan of one of the big labels, while I prefer the other. We’re talking about new comics, when a young woman enters the store. She starts talking to the owner.)

Young Woman: “Hey, I would like to start with [my preferred label] comics; could you help me?”

Owner: “Sure, no problem.”

(The owner turns to me.)

Owner: “Hey, you know [label] comics better. Would you help?”

(The three of us begin to talk about the comics. An overdressed girl enters, and overhears me talking about my favorite series.)

Overdressed Girl: “Are you f****** stupid? Those stories are s***, and they’re for little children. Read [other label of comics which is written mainly for children]; they are for cool people.”

Owner: “Stop talking like this, or I’ll kick you out.”

Young Woman: “I… I don’t know what I should read.”

Overdressed Girl: “A girl? Girls don’t read comics. Not even if they are as fat and ugly as you are.”

(The girl is not fat; she seems to be fighting her tears.)

Owner: “Shut up and leave. NOW!”

Overdressed Girl: “I’m the hottest person in here! You can’t make me leave! I’m the hottest in here, and all boys want me!”

(I turn to the young woman who is by now almost crying.)

Me: “Hey, you know she’s wrong. You’re much prettier then her! Uhm… do you… want to go out sometime?”

(The overdressed girl storms out. The young woman looks at me like I’m crazy. The owner is laughing hard.)

Owner: “Nice one!”

Young Woman: “T… thanks.”

Me: “Yeah… so, what about that date?”

(We started dating soon after, and are now engaged!)

"I'm the hottest person in here, you can't make me leave!"

I JUST tried to use this on my husband so that I could finish putting on my makeup in the bathroom in peace. It didn't work.
He knew I was lying :smith:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bringmyfishback posted:

I've heard that I think twice but only in night clubs.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Why do none of these stories end like "we went out for about two weeks before she realised I was a pathological liar"?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
You know, I find myself able able to empathize with that story! I too am a big fan of comics by [big label]. My favorite is the one where [man with super powers] fights [evil criminal] in order to save [love interest] from [perilous situation]!

QueenQuintessence
Dec 26, 2012

sharktamer posted:

Why do none of these stories end like "we went out for about two weeks before she realised I was a pathological liar"?

Think you just answered your own question.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

bringmyfishback posted:

Overdressed Girl: “Are you f****** stupid? Those stories are s***, and they’re for little children. Read [other label of comics which is written mainly for children]; they are for cool people.”

(three lines later)

Overdressed Girl: “A girl? Girls don’t read comics. Not even if they are as fat and ugly as you are.”

:psyduck: In the land of poo poo that didn't happen, continuity is as rare and valuable a commodity as gold.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

bringmyfishback posted:

I've always wondered what would happened if a person's only experience with human interaction came from anime. Now I know.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

bringmyfishback posted:

Overdressed Girl

There's a dress code for comic shops? Have they been laughing at me all along because I'm not wearing jorts and a t-shirt with 'gently caress One More Day? :ohdear:

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
I think I'm only posting this here because I hope it belongs.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

jalopybrown posted:

There's a dress code for comic shops? Have they been laughing at me all along because I'm not wearing jorts and a t-shirt with 'gently caress One More Day? :ohdear:
Hey gently caress you too, buddy.

dead in real life
Jun 17, 2012

Haskell9 posted:

I think I'm only posting this here because I hope it belongs.

Jesus Christ, that's one of the saddest things I've ever read.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

dead in real life posted:

Jesus Christ, that's one of the saddest things I've ever read.

Rest assured, it is probably fake.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

"bringmyfishback" posted:

This one made me grumpy because it could have had some consequences. What if someone who wasn't supposed to have caffeine drank it and had a bad reaction? (Cue ten goons telling me I'm an idiot because they found some article somewhere that says caffeine consumption has no negative consequences for anyone anywhere ever)

No, I felt the same way because a friend of mine always has to have caffeine-free soda because of some heart condition. Well, I guess she could just not drink soda, too. Either way, yeah, putting caffeine shots into decaf anything is not cool. It's probably one of the only things that was actually done by that person because it takes such little effort.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

movax posted:

Rest assured, it is probably fake.
It still worries me a little that there are people who think that coming up with this kind of stuff and pass it off as real to impress other people.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

It still worries me a little that there are people who think that coming up with this kind of stuff and pass it off as real to impress other people.
Greentext stories are the internet forum equivalent of a stand-up comedy "bit". They're not supposed to be taken as true.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

jodai posted:

No, I felt the same way because a friend of mine always has to have caffeine-free soda because of some heart condition. Well, I guess she could just not drink soda, too. Either way, yeah, putting caffeine shots into decaf anything is not cool. It's probably one of the only things that was actually done by that person because it takes such little effort.

Agreed. I can't have caffeine because it interferes with the medication I'm on, but I still drink decaf coffee. Accidentally getting some real coffee (which, unfortunately, does happen from time to time, thank you careless food service workers) might not kill me, but it will lead to an afternoon of being nauseous, shaky, panicky, weepy, and then usually doping myself up to keep myself from screaming at everyone and being quasi-stoned and groggy on top of all the aforementioned. One of my coworkers used to joke about slipping me caffeine because he wanted to see me bounce off the walls, but he dropped that pretty quickly when I explained that it wasn't going to work like that.

RoboRodent has a new favorite as of 18:39 on May 12, 2013

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Someone posted this on my facebook. "To the straight guy at the party last night:"

quote:

This is awesome. Craigslist posting "to the straight guy at the party last night"

Since Craigslist postings tend to be impermanent, I'll cut and paste:

A mutual friend of ours threw a big party for her 30th birthday, tons of people were there and it was a lot of fun. Somewhere along the line you and I ended up on the balcony for some fresh air at the same time. We started chatting; we talked about sports, books, tv – discovered we both are about to start our masters degrees and spent some time debating the pro’s and con’s of the educational system. We talked about hanging out sometime, and you wanted to meet my girlfriend.

I understand how upsetting it was for you when I blinked mildly in surprise and said I was here with my husband. I know it was a shock to your system, if your face had turned any paler I might have called 911. You made a good recovery though - that hurried mutter of “I’m not like that” was very polite and you only knocked over two drinks and one vase in your hurry to rush to anywhere other than near me. I can’t blame you – I forgot how delicate you straight boys are. So I wanted to give you a few helpful hints about where you went wrong last night.

1) As a general rule we don’t walk around with big signs around our neck proclaiming our sexuality. No scarlet letters, no scent of hellfire and brimstone… sorry about that.

2) We do not generally assume that everyone within 5 feet of us must also be homosexual – it was nice of you to immediately reassure me that you are hetero, but it was really unnecessary.

3) Homosexuality is not infectious. While I am sure you meant no disrespect with your hasty departure; in the future you can rest assured that taking a few extra seconds in your mad dash for safety will not result in you being turned gay. It will however keep you from destroying expensive vases and knocking over senior citizens.

4) This next one may come as a surprise; but you are not, in fact, irresistible. The fact that you have a dick does not instantly turn me into a bundle of uncontrolled lust. Contrary to popular opinion, being in the same room with a straight man does not cause a gay man to instantly lose all common sense and basic common courtesy. Though I am not so sure about the reverse.

5) Homosexuals in general get a little irked when people treat us like some sort of leper. Rushing to another mutual friend of ours and advising him of my sexuality, so he could be “forewarned” was really uncalled for.

6) Upon being told (by said mutual friend) to stop being an idiot and that you were not my type anyway… it generally confuses the issue when you then proceed to become upset that I DON’T find you attractive. Three seconds ago you were running through a crowd of people with your hands cupped protectively over your junk as if I might attack you at any moment with a blowjob. See hint number 4.

7) We homosexuals have an odd sense of humor – I can’t help that. Something about watching you freak out as if all the demons of hell were after you just struck me as vastly amusing.

8) While being pissed at me for dissolving into uncontrollable laughter might be understandable… gathering a couple guys together to “teach the fag a lesson” is not.

9) You might also want to drink a little less and be a little more careful about the guys you approach for your little proto-hate-mob.

10) Assuming the two tall muscle-bound bruisers must be uber-hetero and just as appalled by my presence as you was your first mistake. It was an understandable one though. How were you to know that pflag tshirt the first guy was wearing wasn’t a sports team? Also the rainbow ring the second guy was wearing could have meant anything I am sure.

11) In retrospect I suppose that upon hearing your not very subtle hate-talk and seeing who you were heading for; I could have said something instead of just laughing harder. I apologize for that. I should have just introduced you to my husband instead of letting you walk up to him and ask him if he wanted to help you teach “that fag over there” a lesson. I hope that broken nose heals up cleanly.

Kinda plausible up until number 5, loses credibility at number 8, stdh.txt by number 10

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Here's some STDH, courtesy of the spergy confessions thread.

quote:

Bar near campus used to do speed dating, what I would do is show up iwth 2 premade magic decks. I'd be all "if you have more life than me when time runs out then you can have my number ." Now what I would do is one deck would be a real fast red deck and the other a slow white/black, given the speed dating lasts ~3 minutes per person the red deck is gonna win. So if I was feeling a girl I'd use NLP to get her to take the red deck, she fires off a couple lightning bolts or whatever and she wins.

Now mind you there is a pretty high rate of failure and a lot of the girls are like wtf but this method got me laid twice and I got a blowie once.

I believe he showed up with the magic decks, but the STDH is that any woman even touched them, or him ever, unless it was their job to. It takes more than 3 minutes to explain the game, let alone play at all.

I do believe he's tried Pick Up Artist poo poo before.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

kizudarake posted:

Here's some STDH, courtesy of the spergy confessions thread.

I believe he showed up with the magic decks, but the STDH is that any woman even touched them, or him ever, unless it was their job to. It takes more than 3 minutes to explain the game, let alone play at all.

I do believe he's tried Pick Up Artist poo poo before.

I don't know poo poo about magic the gathering, how would you ensure the decks stayed in the pre-rigged order?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

St Evan Echoes posted:

Greentext stories are the internet forum equivalent of a stand-up comedy "bit". They're not supposed to be taken as true.

What are you talking about? Of course they're all true. Greentext stories are a bastion of truth in the sea of irony that is 4chan.

:colbert:

Boing posted:

To the straight guy at the party last night

I had trouble believing it past the guy knocking over poo poo like he's Scooby Doo trying to get away from a gay ghost.

What I wouldn't give for a video tape of him trying to explain how to do Magic to a girl who doesn't know how.

e: no, gently caress that, I just want to see a girl who wants to use the white deck and he throws a fit because that messes up his system

Djeser has a new favorite as of 00:52 on May 13, 2013

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

jalopybrown posted:

I don't know poo poo about magic the gathering, how would you ensure the decks stayed in the pre-rigged order?

You don't need to. One deck is just full of direct damage spells that can be played very early in the game, and the other is full of slow control cards that take a long time to deal any damage. The decks themselves don't need to be stacked, they're just built to be fast/slow.

More interesting is that he gets them to choose the fast deck through NLP, which google tells me stands for "Neurolinguistic programming", which translates to English as "Pick-up artist bullshit".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
"Here, you take this red deck, I'll play the white"
"Uhm, sure."
:smug: Heh, my neurolinguistic genius gets them every time. :smug:

• Locked thread