Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Looking at objective c's syntax and it looks pretty weird compared to java / c++. Is there a good book or website to learn objective c ,or would i be better off making little dumb programs on my own and use the official documentation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

ive realized im slowly turning crazy hipster irl and im scared

sorry for serious posting

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana
just get fat and youll be fine

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
yes, guy I know that's your 911 turbo cabriolet in the garage downstairs but do you really need to have a barrel gut, wear cargo pants, and a hawaiian shirt in February? I know you've an apparatchik by now but c'mon.

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

lol is this a joke, multiple file handling in vim is by far better

also if u wanna see autistic, install a mirror above ur monitor so you can see urself as you pay 70bux for a text editor :pwn:

if you make $70/hr on a W2 and still get to go home to ur catte really who gives a gently caress how you slap keyboard

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Papes posted:

Looking at objective c's syntax and it looks pretty weird compared to java / c++. Is there a good book or website to learn objective c ,or would i be better off making little dumb programs on my own and use the official documentation?

it's not really that weird after about an hour. just read stephen kochan's programming in objective c book, as it's basically the bible for the language. it's not too hard to learn, the real difficulty is in getting used to using the cocoa framework as objc itself is completely useless without it.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
so is programming like driving where the best consider themselves mediocre and the worst considered themselves good? or from reading this thread, the best consider themselves as complete maggot trash filth.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

gucci void main posted:

has anyone here used f#

I don't know MS's business case for it.
Finance, probably. Or in response to the people who want to use Scala but still want to be on MS's stack.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

wide stance posted:

so is programming like driving where the best consider themselves mediocre and the worst considered themselves good? or from reading this thread, the best consider themselves as complete maggot trash filth.

TDD is The Way The Truth and The Light and all else is most shameful and also

most gay

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

gucci void main posted:

it's not really that weird after about an hour. just read stephen kochan's programming in objective c book, as it's basically the bible for the language. it's not too hard to learn, the real difficulty is in getting used to using the cocoa framework as objc itself is completely useless without it.

this is probably the least offensive post sulk has made in months

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Coffee Jones posted:

TDD is The Way The Truth and The Light and all else is most shameful and also

most gay

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

lol is this a joke, multiple file handling in vim is by far better

also if u wanna see autistic, install a mirror above ur monitor so you can see urself as you pay 70bux for a text editor :pwn:
lol if your works don't pay for your software tools

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
i made every client buy me a copy of <$70 text editor> to give to friends lol suckers

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
maybe i'm just lazy and dumb (okay, no "maybe" about it), but sublime does nice auto-complete without being obnoxious, and i don't know how to make (g)vim do that :shrug:

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
sublime's autocomplete is real good and i don't have assburrgers so im never gonna learn vim

vs's autocomplete and intellisense is better tho

sublime for plangs and scriptin, vs for proper programs

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

sublime for plangs and scriptin, vs for proper programs

the one true way

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
although sublime does annoy me at times. if you hit escape to make it stop suggesting an auto-complete, you have to hit escape _again_ in order to get out of edit mode, and i find myself not escaping often enough (thanks, reflexes) and winding up typing stupid poo poo without realizing it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

so that thing that sublime text does. sounds like what vim has been doing for 23 years.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Papes posted:

its not bad at all once you get used to seeing brackets everywhere. I actually like it more than straight C or whatever because it's not really any harder to read and its pretty clear what each arg is unless its some custom method that was written by a dumb dumb.

if you just want like a super quick intro then http://rypress.com/tutorials/objective-c/index.html is pretty okay. stephen kochan's programming in objective c was mentioned and it's great. the big nerd ranch books are okay but i didn't really like them all that much. if you learn better by watching a teacher explain poo poo then go to itunes u and look up stanford's CS193P.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I actually like it more than straight C or whatever because it's not really any harder to read and its pretty clear what each arg is unless its some custom method that was written by a dumb dumb.

i really miss the method arg syntax when i go back to java/c

setupWidget(0, 0, NULL, 3.3, yourMom, 5, -1, this)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

back when i "did" C# like 7 or 8 years ago i remember VS was pretty good about prompting what each arg did what if your method was properly documented. i think VS was one of those things that microsoft got right. took me a long time to warm up to xcode. probably because it was poo poo until a few years ago. Or maybe still is poo poo, i dunno.

i mean they JUST now integrated the GUI builder into the actual Xcode app in the last major revision. after only what, 10+ years to think about it?

even longer i guess. how long was projectbuilder around on nextstep. nobody said "hey this is a really dumb idea, launching a second app just to drag some widgets around", huh?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

xcode has a (for the most part) fantastic static analyzer and even better code completion

you can say that it's a verbose as gently caress language, but considering you use xcode for development, you really only have to ever type out part of the method/object name and then tab/type out the rest of the args and poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sounds like ur fcuking lazy!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gucci void main posted:

whatever you do, dont use search in apples documentation, it will get you nowhere.

and don't bother with NSTask

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

i don't really care if objc is verbose. I'd rather see a half sentence long method name with args interspersed than something like doAThing(a, e, i, o, u, y);

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
resharper says to do "var whatever" instead of "SomeConvolutedClassNameHere whatever". (http://resharper.blogspot.com/2008/03/varification-using-implicitly-typed.html) but when you do that, the autocomplete says "gently caress you, i'm not going to try to figure that poo poo out" :saddowns:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

prefect posted:

resharper says to do "var whatever" instead of "SomeConvolutedClassNameHere whatever". (http://resharper.blogspot.com/2008/03/varification-using-implicitly-typed.html) but when you do that, the autocomplete says "gently caress you, i'm not going to try to figure that poo poo out" :saddowns:

i kinda like var when the type name is ridiculously long but i turned that rule off in resharper so it would stop suggesting it

Nehacoo
Sep 9, 2011

wide stance posted:

what makes you think they arent complete maggot trash filth? me, i sure am

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Martytoof posted:

i don't really care if objc is verbose. I'd rather see a half sentence long method name with args interspersed than something like doAThing(a, e, i, o, u, y);

the verbosity is fine for methods and etc but it would be nice if they had some easier syntax for doing things like allocating/initializing arrays/dictionaries/etc. it seriously takes 2 lines to make an empty goddamn mutable array

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cold on a Cob posted:

i kinda like var when the type name is ridiculously long but i turned that rule off in resharper so it would stop suggesting it

i'm writing babby's first c# program, so i don't have the confidence to turn anything off (although i fixed the indenting so it does proper k&r style) :ohdear:

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
proper k&r style isn't proper c# style

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

prefect posted:

although i fixed the indenting so it does proper k&r style

*slaps u with rolled up newspaper*

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

chumpchous posted:

the verbosity is fine for methods and etc but it would be nice if they had some easier syntax for doing things like allocating/initializing arrays/dictionaries/etc. it seriously takes 2 lines to make an empty goddamn mutable array

???

NSMutableArray *array = [NSMutableArray array];

or, if you aren't using ARC and want an owned object returned instead of an autoreleased one:

NSMutableArray *array = [[NSMutableArray alloc] init];

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

nice racism fucko

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Doc Block posted:

???

NSMutableArray *array = [NSMutableArray array];

or, if you aren't using ARC and want an owned object returned instead of an autoreleased one:

NSMutableArray *array = [[NSMutableArray alloc] init];

and if you've got stuff to throw in there you can probably do arrayWithObjects too, so one line instead of 2+

Kire
Aug 25, 2006

lol @ "majoring" in IT. Where did you go, ITT tech? U of Phoenix online?

Edit: do you have microsoft certifications

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

all you need to be "successful" in IT is an overblown sense of self and general misanthropy

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

i might look into using GWT for interface of something im throwing together, good or bad idea?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

gucci void main posted:

Martytoof posted:

its not bad at all once you get used to seeing brackets everywhere. I actually like it more than straight C or whatever because it's not really any harder to read and its pretty clear what each arg is unless its some custom method that was written by a dumb dumb.

if you just want like a super quick intro then http://rypress.com/tutorials/objective-c/index.html is pretty okay. stephen kochan's programming in objective c was mentioned and it's great. the big nerd ranch books are okay but i didn't really like them all that much. if you learn better by watching a teacher explain poo poo then go to itunes u and look up stanford's CS193P.

Sweet, thanks. Now off to make the worlds most terrible app ™.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
ur going to have some pretty stiff competition from me

just signed my first app today :chord:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

prefect posted:

it works fine 99% of the time unless you're combining it with a load of LINQ queries and some other weird poo poo that i forgot that occasionally makes the compiler/VS get pissy but its rare

also using var is "the c# way"

its great tho it means you don't need to worry about types all the time which is neat. u do still need to worry about types like in any other language i guess but vs and c# make it rly pleasant

• Locked thread