Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

My boss has a friend with a lab that gets shaved down, but they don't even bring the dog to our shop because they know we don't approve. :iamafag: My husband's aunt and uncle also have a lab, and the aunt INSISTS he get shaved down. One holiday my job got brought up, and she started trying to get me to side with her on it, but I immediately said how you're not supposed to shave those coats, changes the texture/weather proofing, etc etc, and the uncle and cousins were all, "SEE!!" It was pretty hilarious. :haw: Except that she still gets him shaved, regardless... :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

I'd like to think I'd have the nerve to turn that down. I'm sure someone else would just take it and I'd still have to look at a plucked-chicken Lab.

Edit: Another horror story: Someone brought in a Shih tzu that hadn't been groomed since December. Its coat came off all in one piece, it looked and felt like a sheepskin rug. I'd like to see a groomer with a wall of shame for clients to look at: framed dog pelts from matted doodles.

Fat Dio fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 2, 2013

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
Soo...considering leaving my work place for another one. Two write-ups in two weeks for "not cleaning" and "throwing hair at the walls." The write up included my sarcastic response as to why I do it "It's wall art." when in fact it's just less time consuming and I'd rather have it all in one place where the customers can't see it, and then rinse it off at the end of my shift.
I've witnessed numerous safety violations and when I reach out to correct people all I get is backtalk, and have honestly been afraid of retaliation. I don't run and tell the other managers because it would make me look petty and I don't want to start poo poo with people that have seniority over me. I'm just about hitting the average turn-over rate.
At the new place I'm considering, the actual room is huge and I'll be working by myself. They haven't had a groomer in about a month so I'll have to rebuild another business, but I'm okay with that because I'm actually kind of good at it. I'd actually be sort of running my own show, without ridiculous micromanaging.

As for my own "Labrador Shavedown" story, I had this GSD lab-mix that got a 10 shavedown all over including his tail. For reference, a 10 blade is 1/16th of an inch.
Imagine this:

But brindle, and with floppy ears and a rat tail. And he was a friendly dog, but hyper and trying to look at what was going on in the store the whole time. I finally gave in and ended up turning the whole table around, and then he settled, well until he decided he was going to slip out of the grooming lead and bonk his head on one of the tables.

Fat Dio posted:

I'd like to think I'd have the nerve to turn that down. I'm sure someone else would just take it and I'd still have to look at a plucked-chicken Lab.

Edit: Another horror story: Someone brought in a Shih tzu that hadn't been groomed since December. Its coat came off all in one piece, it looked and felt like a sheepskin rug. I'd like to see a groomer with a wall of shame for clients to look at: framed dog pelts from matted doodles.
Ehhh no one who is doing it for the money or working purely off of commission would turn it down unless they have a SUPER busy salon. We all got bills to pay unfortunately.

My matted pelts all come off in little chunks, so while I get little patches here and there, I've never had a full lambskin rug. The sad part about these owners is that they don't ever learn, and will wait another six months to get them groomed again, maybe even longer. I have a picture I will post later of a super matted dog's before and after. I shaved one matted cocker, who, when I shaved her bottom, poop fell out of the matting. I think I spent like...2 1/2 hours just shaving her.

Edit: More to the cocker story. She was owned by a little old man who had to give her up for heart surgery. He gave her to a little old lady to take care of her, and then the little old lady died, and the little old man got her back in this condition. He was visibly upset about his dog and kept saying "look at what she did to my dog". So, after all is said and done, and we have to put this poor thing on her side and stomach just to get all of the tangles out, and I give this man a wicked discount because I feel terrible, but also stress to him "You have a cocker, and she needs to come in at least ever other month, probably every month." He never shows up for his next appointment. I call the number several times, but it's someone who's never heard of the dog. Guess they just shared the same last name or phone number or something? I hope some other groomer isn't dealing with that little cocker being super matted now :|

The Big Whoop fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 3, 2013

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Well even people who mean well can end up with super matted dogs. I've seen a few people bring in their dog that they've been brushing a few times a week, but they've been brushing basically the top of the hair without getting down to the skin.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Fat Dio posted:

Well even people who mean well can end up with super matted dogs. I've seen a few people bring in their dog that they've been brushing a few times a week, but they've been brushing basically the top of the hair without getting down to the skin.

Sell a metal comb to every customer that walks into your salon. No joke.

oddeye
Jul 24, 2005

The Big Whoop posted:

Sell a metal comb to every customer that walks into your salon. No joke.

I try to do this all the time. It's so versatile. But people see the slickers and the pin brushes and they gravitate towards those for some reason.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Oh yeah, I take every opportunity to tell them what comb to use, where to check for mats, to try to get them out before the dog goes plunging through snow or water, and I've taken several people out into the store to show them where the combs are.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

oddeye posted:

I try to do this all the time. It's so versatile. But people see the slickers and the pin brushes and they gravitate towards those for some reason.

Because it's easier to just run a slicker brush over the top of the coat than put in effort and comb out the snags. Also whenever you hit a tangle the dogs will yelp, or try to snap at their owners.

Fat Dio, how did the thing with the private shop go?

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Oh, it didn't.

I showed up for the interview, she wasn't there, door was locked. I called, nobody answered so I left a message saying I'd hang out in the area for a while. Went and had lunch, an hour later still nobody was there. Later I got a voicemail message from her saying she had to reschedule because she had meetings going on that day. I called back and left another message to try to reschedule, and haven't heard back from her. She comes off as pretty flaky with all this, plus earlier times she didn't return phone calls. That plus hearing the reason she was let go from MegaPetGroomingCorp was being too rough with the dogs made me lose interest in depending on her and learning from her.

A new hire started the other day, and I got to train her for the day, it was awesome! Now I get to not be the newest person and feel all wordly and experienced in the world of toenail trims, dog wrasslin' and coat kings (I looooove the coat king, it is the butt floof destroyer).

StarryEyed
Oct 5, 2006
Grooming question:

I have small terrier/chi mix. His hair is medium length (doesn't really need trimming) and slightly wiry. Picture:

(He's a rescue pooch - I'll make a separate post on his story).

Anyway, I bathe him with shampoo I got from the pet supply store. He smells so nice and fresh the day of and the day after the bath. Then day 3 hits and he's a stinky little turd all over again. Make cuddle time into smelly time.

He eats a grain free diet - GF kibble and Merrick grain free canned stuff. All treats are natural and American made - nothing lovely goes into him. He does chew himself a bit, even tho he's on Frontline for fleas.

Is there a longer-lasting shampoo on the market that will last at least a few more days? Or a vitamin supplement I can give him?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

StarryEyed posted:

Anyway, I bathe him with shampoo I got from the pet supply store. He smells so nice and fresh the day of and the day after the bath. Then day 3 hits and he's a stinky little turd all over again. Make cuddle time into smelly time.

He eats a grain free diet - GF kibble and Merrick grain free canned stuff. All treats are natural and American made - nothing lovely goes into him. He does chew himself a bit, even tho he's on Frontline for fleas.

Is there a longer-lasting shampoo on the market that will last at least a few more days? Or a vitamin supplement I can give him?

Have you talked to your vet about allergies? How often are you bathing him now?

StarryEyed
Oct 5, 2006

Engineer Lenk posted:

Have you talked to your vet about allergies? How often are you bathing him now?

Not yet - I've been fostering him and I just officially adopted him. I can make an appointment and ask.

And since I am a lazy rear end I bathe him maybe once a month. I normally just put up with the doggy smell because he's too drat cute and cuddly.

Just wanted to see what PI could come up with to extend the freshly bathed smell.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

If he's clear for allergies, try Fresh n Clean by Lambert Kay. It has a really strong, awesome scent, and lasts really well. That said, your dogs looks like the type not to hold scent well :/ Especially in the warmer months, it's the sort of coat that smells doggy after just going outside. You can try colognes, too, but that'll just mask the scent. Once a month sounds good for bathing, too. :)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

You could always try putting a nice-smelling sachet inside his bed, if he has a bed that he likes to snooze in. That way he gets freshened up a bit when he's napping :)

StarryEyed
Oct 5, 2006
Thanks for the advice! I am actually using fresh and clean right now, Oatmeal and Baking Soda type. I'll ask the vet about allergies, but maybe I will just have to live with it. It's worth it though! I do have doggie wipes for in-between but he HATES them. Putting something in his crate sounds like an idea...

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Some dogs can be sensitive to that oatmeal, and the regular orange shampoo lasts longer. Granted I'm only looking at a picture, but I bet you'd have better luck with the orange shampoo when you run out of the oatmeal. Remember to dilute it, too, that oatmeal is SUPER thick.

Panzer Attack
Mar 9, 2013

girl, take it easy
Berk, help me Pet Island!

I've just discovered that the groomer previously running my now-workplace was far more incompetent and unprofessional that the clinic let on. ALL the other groomers in the area know about it. When I cold call old clients a lot of them will hang up on me. :(

How does one save a salon's reputation? The onus is on me, since I've been there since mid-February and the clinic keep promising to do advertising, or put up signs, blah blah, but have done absolutely NOTHING. I'm really mad about it!

So far I have printed up business cards, started a loyalty program (the head vet nurse has hidden the cards for some stupid reason because she needs to work on terms and conditions?! *expletive*), I've got a website up, just finished my Facebook page and dipped my toes in with 4 days worth of paid advertising, made a banner for the window (also hidden until vet nurse has meeting with head vet, wtf?) and have printed off flyers and am going to stick them up at local parks and do a letter box drop.

I'm so goddamn frustrated. I know my work is good, but if I can't afford to pay rent, I can't afford to pay rent. I'm terrified of being put on contract as I can barely afford to eat right now.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
What kind of brush is best for a short haired cat? We have a furminator and it's great- but my mom is afraid of using it (kind of understandable I guess). So what's best for regular brushing to help decrease shedding? Options seem to be slicker brushes, zoom groom type things and metal combs.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Kerfuffle posted:

What kind of brush is best for a short haired cat? We have a furminator and it's great- but my mom is afraid of using it (kind of understandable I guess). So what's best for regular brushing to help decrease shedding? Options seem to be slicker brushes, zoom groom type things and metal combs.

Not a groomer, but I've always found that the best brush for our cats is a regular people brush. A densely-packed flat brush with natural bristles does a great job collecting loose hair, and they love the way it feels. I have a big square one that I bought to use on my own hair, but didn't like, and my husband adopted it for the kitties.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

I use a zoomgroom on my shorthaired cat, it works like a charm. We also have a grooming glove type thing that kinda works.

Panzer Attack posted:

I've just discovered that the groomer previously running my now-workplace was far more incompetent and unprofessional that the clinic let on. ALL the other groomers in the area know about it. When I cold call old clients a lot of them will hang up on me. :(

How does one save a salon's reputation? The onus is on me, since I've been there since mid-February and the clinic keep promising to do advertising, or put up signs, blah blah, but have done absolutely NOTHING. I'm really mad about it!

So far I have printed up business cards, started a loyalty program (the head vet nurse has hidden the cards for some stupid reason because she needs to work on terms and conditions?! *expletive*), I've got a website up, just finished my Facebook page and dipped my toes in with 4 days worth of paid advertising, made a banner for the window (also hidden until vet nurse has meeting with head vet, wtf?) and have printed off flyers and am going to stick them up at local parks and do a letter box drop.

I'm so goddamn frustrated. I know my work is good, but if I can't afford to pay rent, I can't afford to pay rent. I'm terrified of being put on contract as I can barely afford to eat right now.

I'm not a marketing person, but what if you advertise with an emphasis on "under new (competent! professional!) management"?

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Kerfuffle posted:

Slicker brushes work great, and some cats really love how they feel and get all lovey and rub on them.

Shedding blades work really great as well. The only problem is they don't hold the fur they pull out, so be ready for a bit of a mess to clean up. I use to sometimes bring my cats outside to use the shedding blade, so I could just let the fur fly all over.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

One of the bagels I live with keeps staring at his butt like it's possessed. We think it means his anal glands need expressing. I know that this is technically possible, but how unpleasant is it for the average civilian to attempt?

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Panzer Attack posted:

I will help! Grooming salon rebuilding. Yep it's a thing a do :P

First of all, KEEP PRESSING THE ISSUE WITH THE HEAD NURSE! In fact, cut out the dang middleman and talk to the Head Vet! If you only mention it once, they'll think it's not all that important and just brush it off. Vet people are busy busy busy, and hey, if you're making 100 percent of the profit, they will think you are rolling in the $$, which is not true if you consider overhead. If you haven't yet, consider a name change of the salon itself, if it's possible. Hang out with on the vet side a lot! If the people know you and the work you do they will recommend you to their clients. See if you can get a sample album out in the clinic side, or even hang up pictures of your work on their boards.
Make friends with the people working in the clinic side. Make sure they know your name. In fact, offer to groom their dogs for a discounted price. In fact, the first time you may want to do their dogs for free if they are apprehensive about it.
Offer a referral program. Maybe not taking total dollars off of the groom, but offering extra services like toothbrushing or nail buffing for those people. If you have your own dogs that you groom, parade them, and often. I know this sounds tacky as all hell, but I actually used to dress my dogs in tie-dye tee-shirts while wearing one myself. It got a lot of attention. Know your clients by name. Even if you can't remember the owner's names, the owners usually seem to be more impressed by you knowing their dog's name even if it is their first time.
Example: One of my bathers books me a poodle, I see the name on my schedule, and about what time he is coming in.
Me: Hi there, welcome to Big Whoop's House of Dog!
Them: Yes, we have an 11 o clock appointment?
Me: Oh this must be Fenton! He's so cute. I know this is his first time so I'm going to give him some time to get used to the process yada yada yada

Walk-in services are key. Nail trim as many and as often as you can. If they see how gentle and professional you can be, it will put their minds at ease. Work with the customer. Regulars like when you say go out of your way to do stuff for them. For example, Sally's mom is a regular, but does not want to pay extra to have her dog's nails filed, because she is apprehensive about it. So I throw that on there for free, and call the owner's attention to it.
I'll say something like "Sally doesn't normally like having her nails clipped, and I know you have hardwood floors at home, so because you're such a good customer I threw a nail buffing in there for ya." and then I will pull the hair back so they can see the smooth nail.
Play a game while you're cold calling... see how long you can keep a customer on the phone.
Example:
"I know you've had some issues in the past with the old owner of the shop, but she is no longer here, and I wanted to offer you guys a free nail trim as an apology."
"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that someone could have been that rough with Smooches. She sounds like a sweet pup! We actually just redesigned the shop, so if you get a chance, you should pop on by and check out the renovations! And of course, I'd like to offer you a free bandana for your consideration."
Keep in mind it will take a few months to rebuild ANY shop. Hang in there Panzer!

Edit: Just read the contract thing. Express your concerns with the person you are paying rent to. Are you also responsible for electricity/ water usage? Even if they reassure you, GET THAT poo poo IN WRITING. If you have to press legally you will want that paper backing you up.

Pile of Kittens posted:

One of the bagels I live with keeps staring at his butt like it's possessed. We think it means his anal glands need expressing. I know that this is technically possible, but how unpleasant is it for the average civilian to attempt?

keep your mouth closed and your head away from dog-rear end-not-ok.

My big problem was that I had problems with locating the anal glands at first. Do do it in the tub. It takes practice but I promise you will be able to find your pastry-based dog's anal glands.

another edit:
Fat Dio
I thought about your situation and think it may be a GOOD IDEA for you to take the dumb mega-corp up on their offer. When you're learning you will make a lot of mistakes. However, you'll also be guaranteed full-time work for two years, and if you gently caress up or get a complaint the corp will cover it for you. You can always branch out and expand on your education, but as far as learning how to shave a dog, well, man, go for it. Just make sure you can bear the people you're working with for that amount of time. Salons, especially in big stores like that have circle-jerkitus and are cliquish. Be buds with your GM. Don't ask questions and just do it. Bring him/her/it cookies if you have do. I'm serious.

The Big Whoop fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 11, 2013

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

That's kind of my thought now. There's crazies and cliques and everything that comes with shoving a bunch of women into a glass box 14 hours a day, BUT at least if something (someone) goes haywire I've got giant megacorp handbook policies and whatnot to fall back on, the store manager's actually had a couple customers spontaneously say good things about me to him, which is pretty cool.

Yesterday I got booked with 6 dogs in a row, with an Old English Sheepdog smack in the middle - in a timeslot that'd be perfect for a lab or whatever. So this was me yesterday :derp:

Got everyone done and out on time and looking purty, so I'm kinda proud of myself. I've only been at this a few months but I'm really happy with how I'm doing as far as dog-wrangling goes. I find it makes things much more enjoyable if you find a song to insert the dog's name into and sing it to them.

Edit: Not 14 hour shifts, that's just how long the place is open.

Fat Dio fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 11, 2013

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

The Big Whoop posted:

keep your mouth closed and your head away from dog-rear end-not-ok.

My big problem was that I had problems with locating the anal glands at first. Do do it in the tub. It takes practice but I promise you will be able to find your pastry-based dog's anal glands.

Well it helps that bagels only have the one big hole in the middle :V

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Fat Dio posted:

That's kind of my thought now. There's crazies and cliques and everything that comes with shoving a bunch of women into a glass box 14 hours a day, BUT at least if something (someone) goes haywire I've got giant megacorp handbook policies and whatnot to fall back on, the store manager's actually had a couple customers spontaneously say good things about me to him, which is pretty cool.

Yesterday I got booked with 6 dogs in a row, with an Old English Sheepdog smack in the middle - in a timeslot that'd be perfect for a lab or whatever. So this was me yesterday :derp:

Got everyone done and out on time and looking purty, so I'm kinda proud of myself. I've only been at this a few months but I'm really happy with how I'm doing as far as dog-wrangling goes. I find it makes things much more enjoyable if you find a song to insert the dog's name into and sing it to them.

Edit: Not 14 hour shifts, that's just how long the place is open.

Ahh the days of bathing at that company. Get into work at 8:00. Check in your dog(s), wash groomer's dog. Put groomer's dog back into kennel. Wash own dog. Put own dog back into kennel. Take out groomer's dog, dry groomer's dog. Cut groomer's dog's nails. Put groomer's dog back in kennel to dry. Take out own dog. Dry own dog. Check in second dog. Wash second dog. Put second dog into kennel, pull out first dog. Cut first dog's nails, brush first dog out. Wash another groom dog...
Yeah it was hecktic as hell back in the day.
In other news, I've stepped down from my position as supreme dictator grooming salon master. 10 percent less but a lot less stress. Yes. Currently looking into other places to groom.
Singing to dogs every day, yes. Especially when they're kind of dickish.
"Ohhhh Simon, you're such a dick for your naiiiiiillllllsssss." *clip* "Youuuuuurrrr mom needs to bring you in mooooore than onnnnce every sixxxx months." *clip*

Once again MAKE FRIENDS WITH YOUR GENERAL MANAGER. If you make a complaint on someone who's been there for a long time they WILL retaliate and your life will be miserable. Especially being (what I'm guessing) the only dude in your salon, which can go in a really good way or a really bad way. The ladies may dote on you or they may scapegoat you depending on the situation.

The Big Whoop fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 12, 2013

Panzer Attack
Mar 9, 2013

girl, take it easy
Thanks for the advice, fellow grooming buddies!

I have renamed the salon and so far so good. On Saturday I found the banner and put it in the drat window. 5 minutes later we had a walk-in! It's a really bright (yellow, pink and white) sign that says that I'm an expert, a professional and ~NEW~ ! It's also on the road-side of the clinic and we're right next to a set of traffic lights, so everyone that stops at the lights has the opportunity to glance at the sign :) (There's a phone number on there too, so the person in the car can take a phone picture and call later.) I've also managed to pick up a couple of bookings through Facebook advertising - yay! If the weather isn't disgusting tomorrow, I'll do the letter box drop after I do my one groom for the day (sob).

At the moment I'm on an hourly rate, and I'm quite prepared to dig my heels in and keep on it until business has picked up again. The vet clinic staff (and owner) have repeatedly said they do not want to lose me as even though I'm not very busy right now, 90% of the clients I've had since Feb have returned, and about a quarter of them are on a very regular (monthly or 3 weekly) schedule. So realistically I can tell them to do whatever the hell I want. It's frustrating to me, because I've built up businesses from scratch AND back from disaster before, multiple times, but I'm a bit over it now. I need to keep my eyes on the prize... and keep telling myself it's different this time because I'm doing it for ME instead of someone who only appreciates it when they're raking in the $$$.

On another note, I'm so glad I'm not the only crazy person that sings to the dogs. Hahahahaha. I do it all the time. They loooove it.

The Big Whoop, have you considered opening your own slice of paradise? Working for The Big Guys is soul-destroying.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Oh, well I'm female and all that, so at least I've got practical experience with...how women socialize and make friends and enemies and frenemies and whatnot.

Okay, my day is structured really different from how yours was! If I'm fully booked, my day's more like this: Open at 7, check in first dog, toss in kennel while setting everything up for the day, putting water bowls out and whatnot. Bath first dog, dry, toenails, ears, brush. Check in second dog, bathe, dry, toenails, ears, brush, call second dog's mom to come get it, STORE OPENS TOENAIL TRIMS AHOY, check in third dog, repeat, with toenail interruptions, check in, bathe 4th dog, ??lunch?? check out third dog, dry 4th dog, toenails, ears, brush, repeat for last 1-2 dogs amid toenail trims and other interruptions.

I have to bathe and dry and handle just my own dogs, the groomers take care of their own dogs from start to finish unless someone's really behind. Occasionally someone will ask nicely if a bather/brusher can bathe/finish drying/stand with their dog/hold their dog's face because it's being difficult. Unless my dogs have a ridiculous coat or there's a billion toenail trim walk-ins, I'm usually running ahead so it's not a problem. If I've got no dogs to work on and the place is tidied and there's nothing to do I'll offer to dry or bathe groomer's dogs because I'd rather be useful.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Panzer Attack posted:

...I do my one groom for the day (sob).
This has happened to me and it is soo annoying because I have to complete my ~8 hour shift~ (which is really like 9 hours because of a 45 minute unpaid lunch loving gently caress gently caress) So it's basically oh hey sure hope you like cleaning for basically free because your commission is based on weekly and not daily~

Panzer Attack posted:

At the moment I'm on an hourly rate, and I'm quite prepared to dig my heels in and keep on it until business has picked up again. The vet clinic staff (and owner) have repeatedly said they do not want to lose me as even though I'm not very busy right now, 90% of the clients I've had since Feb have returned, and about a quarter of them are on a very regular (monthly or 3 weekly) schedule. So realistically I can tell them to do whatever the hell I want. It's frustrating to me, because I've built up businesses from scratch AND back from disaster before, multiple times, but I'm a bit over it now. I need to keep my eyes on the prize... and keep telling myself it's different this time because I'm doing it for ME instead of someone who only appreciates it when they're raking in the $$$.
Well poo poo, if you're hourly, give poo poo away for free to pull people in! Start handin' out coupons like no one's buizzzznezzz. How does your deal with them work anyway? Are you having to pay rent/shampoos/equipment costs? Are they going to eventually transfer stuff to you?

Panzer Attack posted:

The Big Whoop, have you considered opening your own slice of paradise? Working for The Big Guys is soul-destroying.
Everybody is telling me I need to, I'm just not prepared to put that much money into something and lose for the first two years... plus I'm terrified of what happens when I get groomer burnout. I'm burning out right now because of stuff and reasons I've already gotten into. (Welcome to my hell, two write-ups for "not cleaning" and "working off the clock"). There is a place which is really relaxed which really wants me, but I don't know if I'm prepared to rebuild another grooming salon. I also have a bunch of clients at my place that I really really adore (one wall-eyed shih-tzu who sees what you did there, and also over there, one adorable red poodle who I've been working with since she was a baby, and one KICKIN' RAD irish terrier whom I love dearly)

Fat Dio posted:

Oh, well I'm female and all that, so at least I've got practical experience with...how women socialize and make friends and enemies and frenemies and whatnot.

Jeeze I was reading all of your posts in a "male" voice. I don't know how I got that impression! Your username I think. Also, TELL ME YOUR SECRETS. I am terribad at that sort of thing, and I don't understand other women!

Fat Dio posted:

Okay, my day is structured really different from how yours was! If I'm fully booked, my day's more like this: Open at 7, check in first dog, toss in kennel while setting everything up for the day, putting water bowls out and whatnot. Bath first dog, dry, toenails, ears, brush. Check in second dog, bathe, dry, toenails, ears, brush, call second dog's mom to come get it, STORE OPENS TOENAIL TRIMS AHOY, check in third dog, repeat, with toenail interruptions, check in, bathe 4th dog, ??lunch?? check out third dog, dry 4th dog, toenails, ears, brush, repeat for last 1-2 dogs amid toenail trims and other interruptions.
Ahh yes the interruptions. 90 percent of the time I was in the back unless doing a nail trim. The smelly, terrifying windowless back. Bathers answered the phone most of the time, too. The way they would summon us from the back was to turn the music up really loving loud and then turn it down really quick. Everything would be nice and quiet, one of those rare moments where all the dogs had settled down and no one was barking for once and then suddenly BAM
THE HEART IS AGLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
gently caress! jump 10 feet in the air. Everyone starts barking all at once, throw the dog you were working on in a kennel or ask a co-worker to keep an eye on him (otherwise known as hey you you're also washing a dog can you look at the dog out of the corner of your eye?)
Dash up front, gank a terrified looking animal from the owner do a nail trim in 5 seconds, empty the shopvac, hope your coworker didn't finish washing their dog so your dog still has an "eye on it..."
We were the busiest salon in the district.

Poop Cupcake
Dec 31, 2005

I have a grooming question. A cat grooming question. :gonk:

A big orange fluffy tom followed me up the stairs yesterday (live in a 2nd floor apartment). And by fluffy I mean thick, luxurious double coat with a neck ruff. I've seen him around the complex a few times, but he seemed more like he wanted attention instead of wanting food.

His underside is a thicket of mats the size of golf balls. I brushed out his top side the best I could with a metal bristle brush (and he was soooo haapppy), and he was super tolerant of me touching all over him. He's obviously someone's (outdoor) cat, but they're not taking care of his coat at all. Didn't find any fleas or bites or anything terrible on him. The mats seemed painful for him, and they're tight up against his skin. At the very least, I want to take him to someplace that can cut the mats out of his coat. Is this kind of matting a groomer thing or a vet thing or what?

Poop Cupcake fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 13, 2013

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

^^ If he's comfortable enough being touched and brushed by someone totally new to him he might be able to handle going to a groomer. If he freaks out and goes into a fullon meltdown then it would probably be better to have him groomed while sedated at a vet's. If he's not your cat thought you need to make some effort to find his owners.

I used to have a more female sounding forums name, but since I changed it I think people have been assuming I'm a guy. I named myself after my female cat but she's named after a dude so I guess that's not a big help either.

I feel like I've gotten kind of lucky with co-workers/salon setup compared to you, my store is fairly busy with both booked appointments and walk-ins but whoever answers the phone is just whoever's closest to a phone. If there's a toenail trim and I'm in the back, a groomer puts their dog on the floor and walks back to tell me, the people who open usually turn the music down as quiet as possible from the start and it doesn't play in the back. If I'm already doing a walk-in service and my next appointment dog shows up, or another walk-in, whoever's closest to the computer will just check them in for me so they're ready to go by the time I'm done with the current dog.

A story: My second week of working here EVER I got booked with a monster Newfie with bad ankles who wouldn't stand for long periods of time, whose owners never brushed him, and wanted his coat left long. It took me an hour just to bath him, and 2 hours later I still hadn't fully dried him and his owners were standing at the front waiting to pick him up (the dog was snoozing on the floor while I frantically tried to brush and dry him at the same time). That's my PTSD dog, and he now has a note on his file saying he must be booked with a groomer. Today he came in for a nail trim and foot tidy and again couldn't/wouldn't stand for very long. I had to put my shoulder under his elbow or groin to support him while I picked up each foot to shave out the GIGANTIC pads full of thick damp fur. I feel like this dog is going to keep coming back to haunt me and eventually I'll just start crying at the sight of any Newf.

Also re: women and socializing, it's just high school style politics all over again. If the ringleader doesn't like someone, whoever that someone likes and gets along with will also get disliked and bitched about. I seem to be okay at staying neutral, I think because I'm competent enough I don't get in anyone's way, and I'm still new enough there probably isn't much to say about me anyway. Plus I mostly just talk about dogs/birds/Game of Thrones/nerdy biology stuff at work anyway and I don't take part in "Oh and did you hear what she SAID???" type conversations.

Fat Dio fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 13, 2013

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

So um, I had a chattastic type interview today with the owner of a local shop. She wants to start me out hourly...and I was wondering what I should ask to start out at?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

I think it all depends on the area... I CURRENTLY make $13 an hour. When I started grooming (learning after bathing for the same place for awhile) I was making, I think, $10. It went up steadily as responsibilities increased. For scale, at the time I started working, minimum wage was $7.50, and now it's either $8 or $8.50, I can't remember!

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Jeeze, but you're in the midwest somewhere right? And I've been grooming for a while so I was thinkin' somewhere around 15.
Minimum out here's about 8. (West Coast YEEEAAAH)
Have you thought about moving onto someplace that IS commission based? And do most of your clients tip?

The Big Whoop fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 17, 2013

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

I work in the suburbs of Chicago. So yeah, Midwest, but more expensive Midwest. And tipping is hit or miss, but I wouldn't really know because we somehow "share" the tips, but as far as I can tell, that just goes towards stocking the place with snacks and coffee. :( I have started to feel like I could make more per dog, but it doesn't seem worth it to change jobs when I'm working on getting out of the field entirely. :sigh:

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Why not take out a small business loan and do both behavioral training and grooming? It's something I've contemplated doing at my work, but ~conflict of interest~ territory is a rough road to walk down.

I love my co-workers (mostly) but they can be hilariously incompetent or just silly sometimes. This industry attracts loving CRAZY PEOPLE. Groomer burnout is a high risk as well as injury. One well placed bite can end your career. Carpal tunnel should be fun too and I have the luck of having it run in my family!

Tuesday I had a rough start to my day because I walked in and immediately got accused of trying to steal someone's request. Other times, dog's I've been working on for months have been given to someone else, and I don't ever say anything about it. It's kind of irritating but at the same time I know that these are the company's clients and not mine :\

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.
Hey folks, quick question about a double coat breed. What exactly constitutes damaging "shaving"? Is there a cut off with how small a guard you can use on the clippers? Or is it referring to clipping with a bare clippers? How short is safe?

I have a pomeranian who has never been to a groomer, to the best of our knowledge. We keep up pretty well with brushing and caring for his coat, but he's a pretty shaggy little dog and we're just moving into the time of year where he wants to go outside and roll in things constantly and go to the beach and play in the mud and all that. So we're thinking a trip to the groomer could both make him nice and pretty and well shaped, but we're also looking into a really practical cut that would be easier to care for and keep him clean.

Do you guys have any recommendations (or good pictures!) of what we sort of cut we should be looking for?

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

A tidy up-- butt/ belly/ feathering trim should do ya just fine. Spitz breeds have natural oils in their fur which the mud or dirt or whatever should just dry and flake off of.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

The Big Whoop posted:

A tidy up-- butt/ belly/ feathering trim should do ya just fine. Spitz breeds have natural oils in their fur which the mud or dirt or whatever should just dry and flake off of.

This. People get this idea that taking down the length of the hair all over the body (not just feet, belly, etc, but a clipper everywhere) will make it easier to handle as far as brushing and the comfort of the dog. However, even if you leave a couple inches, the guard hairs are naturally longer than the undercoat, and this makes it so the undercoat doesn't tangle together, and your comb will glide through the hair. If you clip all that down, where the line of the cut is, the guard hairs are down to the same length as the undercoat, so the undercoat sticks together and you have a MUCH harder time getting the comb through. Also, the undercoat grows faster than the guard hair, so for awhile the guard hairs will actually be SHORTER than the rest.

I actually had a pomeranian in last week that was getting cut like that where I tested the theory. The coat was only getting about an inch off, but prior to cutting, the comb went through like butter. Took one swipe with the clipper with a guard on it, and all of a sudden in that one spot that was cut, the comb was sticking like crazy. Just isn't good for the hair. v:shobon:v

The Big Whoop posted:

Why not take out a small business loan and do both behavioral training and grooming? It's something I've contemplated doing at my work, but ~conflict of interest~ territory is a rough road to walk down.

First off, I am TERRIFIED of taking out a loan!! haha I am just not super business savvy, and I have enough debt between our mortgage, student loans, and raising our son. Secondly, I just don't even really want to groom anymore (long term). I have my job because I make more than I could make if I switched, but I honestly just don't find it as rewarding as other things. I know this sucks, because the field is lacking people with an understanding of behavior, and I should be wanting to help change things rather than wash my hands of them, but I just don't have the ambition. Besides, if I really were that dedicated to grooming, my boss would sell the business to me if I asked. She honestly is looking to retire, I think, and is getting frustrated that the people she's hiring aren't in it for long term. Back when I first started grooming the thought was super appealing to me, but I think I'm too jaded now. She's kinda holding it over my head, too, I think she feels like she wasted time training me or something. Ah well.

So, how about another huge difference between working private vs corporate? What kind of benefits do you guys have? Paid time off? Sick days? Insurance? Yeah, I get none of that! What's more, my boss is a huge fan of vacations, which is nice on the one hand, because closing the shop twice a year helps you recharge (time off at the end of the year for holidays, time off at the end of July) but it hurts pretty bad when you're out two weeks of pay. "Winter Break" isn't bad because honestly, the owner's pretty cool and gives bonuses every year that pretty much cover the time off, but I'm on my own for summer. What's more, it seems like every year the time we're off keeps growing and growing, and the number of random days through the year is growing, too. I think this is in line with the owner really wanting to sell the place and getting burned out, but it's really rough.

Despite the lack of benefits, though, it's still really hard for me to contemplate going back to a corporate place after working somewhere private for so many years, especially considering the drama you guys are always talking about. I'm 30, damnit, I don't want to have to deal with bullshit drama I never even had issues with in high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

WolfensteinBag posted:

This. People get this idea that taking down the length of the hair all over the body (not just feet, belly, etc, but a clipper everywhere) will make it easier to handle as far as brushing and the comfort of the dog. However, even if you leave a couple inches, the guard hairs are naturally longer than the undercoat, and this makes it so the undercoat doesn't tangle together, and your comb will glide through the hair. If you clip all that down, where the line of the cut is, the guard hairs are down to the same length as the undercoat, so the undercoat sticks together and you have a MUCH harder time getting the comb through. Also, the undercoat grows faster than the guard hair, so for awhile the guard hairs will actually be SHORTER than the rest.

I actually had a pomeranian in last week that was getting cut like that where I tested the theory. The coat was only getting about an inch off, but prior to cutting, the comb went through like butter. Took one swipe with the clipper with a guard on it, and all of a sudden in that one spot that was cut, the comb was sticking like crazy. Just isn't good for the hair. v:shobon:v
I've noticed this! it's almost like velcro! I always use my fingers to describe how the softer hair is more "fragmented" than the gaurd hairs and it slides off. Two husky wolf hybrids in the day before yesterday and gently caress the last groomer who owned a goddamn husky loving SHAVED THEM, WHAT THE HELL.

WolfensteinBag posted:

So, how about another huge difference between working private vs corporate? What kind of benefits do you guys have? Paid time off? Sick days? Insurance? Yeah, I get none of that! What's more, my boss is a huge fan of vacations, which is nice on the one hand, because closing the shop twice a year helps you recharge (time off at the end of the year for holidays, time off at the end of July) but it hurts pretty bad when you're out two weeks of pay. "Winter Break" isn't bad because honestly, the owner's pretty cool and gives bonuses every year that pretty much cover the time off, but I'm on my own for summer. What's more, it seems like every year the time we're off keeps growing and growing, and the number of random days through the year is growing, too. I think this is in line with the owner really wanting to sell the place and getting burned out, but it's really rough.

Despite the lack of benefits, though, it's still really hard for me to contemplate going back to a corporate place after working somewhere private for so many years, especially considering the drama you guys are always talking about. I'm 30, damnit, I don't want to have to deal with bullshit drama I never even had issues with in high school.

Goddamn, at work lately I'm getting really really irritated. I stepped down as grooming salon manager (welcome to the land of NO SUPPORT from other managers, and other managers shaming you in front of your other employees and people overstepping their bounds for 10 percent more per dog :downs: ) I feel you on the work thing. In my company you don't get "sick days" you get "Personal time off because LOL gently caress YOU".
Fat Dio is right though, if you mostly stick to yourself, you're not going to have many issues, depending on the salon manager. It's all fuckin' political bullshit. Make friends with the General Manager, PRAY TO loving GOD that all of your dogs have water because if not haha that's a write up.

My life currently is a series of fuckin' panic attacks and having poo poo taken out of my commission because "Injuries may have been caused by clipper burn"/ sure hope you get the salon clean/sure hope you like losing 25 dollars every day so you can help clean/sure hope you like working essentially for free on the nights you close.

Then again, my store is really hosed up, and even the clients know about it. I've had people BEG me to stay because the turnaround rate is so high. We have a couple of people who have been here for years. They're basically bulletproof, and they hate their jobs as an added bonus!!

So yes, this job is making me hate the business and is causing me extreme stress and burn-out. In fact, since I've stepped down, I'm more stressed out and have to beg the managers to be transparent or whatever. Nope, nevermind that numbers went up since last year while I was the salon manager. That poo poo just doesn't matter because it's never good enough.

Edit: I'm actually contemplating trying to get a grooming gig at a vet's office to see if the medical field would work out for me. I'm a very hands on learner, and originally I was learning to groom to pay for school, but I still can't afford it. I'm also cautious about getting into an industry which I have no official experience in. Has anyone else gone this route at all?

The Big Whoop fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 29, 2013

• Locked thread