Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So I am about to graduate from college and am looking to adopt a Siberian Husky puppy, I heard they enjoy escaping and digging?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Fat_Cow posted:

So I am about to graduate from college and am looking to adopt a Siberian Husky puppy, I heard they enjoy escaping and digging?

Check out this Primitive Breeds Thread!

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Thanks!

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
How much / often should a 9 week old Boston Terrier puppy be sleeping during the day? The first three nights he basically slept through the entire night without a peep from him until one of us woke up at our normal times (5-6am). But last night he woke up at around midnight and started crying his head off even after taking out for potty. We think it might be because we let him sleep too much during the day that might have caused this.

Also on the topic, what would be the latest one should feed a puppy prior to bed? (8pm~ in our case)

Edit: Have a puppy picture!

Etrips fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 11, 2013

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Etrips posted:

How much / often should a 9 week old Boston Terrier puppy be sleeping during the day? The first three nights he basically slept through the entire night without a peep from him until one of us woke up at our normal times (5-6am). But last night he woke up at around midnight and started crying his head off even after taking out for potty. We think it might be because we let him sleep too much during the day that might have caused this.

Also on the topic, what would be the latest one should feed a puppy prior to bed? (8pm~ in our case)

Is the puppy blue? Or is that just the way the light plays off the darker areas of his fur?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
I want a red boston terrier

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

wtftastic posted:

Is the puppy blue? Or is that just the way the light plays off the darker areas of his fur?

That is in fact a blue Boston! My wife and I plan on eventually making a Power Ranger team of Bostons.

Superconsndar posted:

I want a red boston terrier

She is my princess!

Edit: Have a blue robopuppy

Etrips fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 11, 2013

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

So after my question in here about which dog breeds would be good for me I've been idly browsing and visiting rescue centres and met the most awesome greyhound today! He's huge but is such a friendly fella. I got to take him for a walk that included a short run and he was absolutely awesome on the lead. Th only problem is that he is pretty big, and while that's not a problem for me, the landlord of the place I want to move to has said they'd prefer I get a small dog, but didn't outright forbid a large dog. Hopefully I can talk to them and convince them that this silent, calm giant will be fine, or even better than a small breed as he's so quiet and calm. :ohdear:

Apparently he's been in this shelter for two years, so they've got a fairly good read on his personality.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
I just adopted a pair of older ex-racers and they are absolutely the best dogs, especially for beginners or people who need an "easy", laid-back dog. They almost literally sleep 20 hours of the day, it's ridiculous. Maybe you can get your landlord to meet him to see how laid-back he is?

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

alucinor posted:

Maybe you can get your landlord to meet him to see how laid-back he is?

What I want to do is contact the letting agency that is acting as the broker for the lease, and have them talk to the owner about the merits of greyhounds. What I might do is put together an email with a quick synopsis and a link to the Wikipedia page for them and ask to have that sent, as the greyhound will likely be quieter and calmer than any small dog they care to name. It's very annoying that I can't talk to the landlord directly yet but I want to do my best to make sure everyone is on the same level with this, as I'd hate to have them not renew my lease because I got a bigger dog when they 'would prefer' a smaller one.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Etrips posted:

That is in fact a blue Boston! My wife and I plan on eventually making a Power Ranger team of Bostons.

She is my princess!

Edit: Have a blue robopuppy

Why is he a robo puppy?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Hi dog thread. A friend of mine recently adopted a 10-month-old labrador puppy, Evan, from a shelter. Unfortunately he and his family are having a lot of difficulty with one particular issue that the dog has: biting.

He's old enough that although he's not been trained out of the puppy mouthing thing, he still draws blood, and he mouths when he's excited or overstimulated. If they drop the game and leave the room, he bites at their butts and jumps up at their backs until they're gone. Sometimes leaving calms him down enough to not mouth, sometimes it doesn't. I have to emphasize that none of this is aggressive, it's what puppies do, but Evan has had very little training or reliable ownership until now.

He's a great puppy otherwise, albeit exhausting. I'm not sure this family have had much experience with young dogs before. There are no children in the household, only three adults (a middle-aged couple and an adult daughter), and he's the only dog. There is a cat - she tends to intimidate/wind Evan up, but he's removed from that situation when it happens. He's taken for long walks twice or more a day. They've had him two weeks or so at this point.

What advice would you give? Evan's a good dog, just very excitable, but they're having a lot of trouble coping with the biting. :sigh:

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 11, 2013

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

wtftastic posted:

Why is he a robo puppy?

BAER Hearing Test!

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
THINKS HE IS BEST AT DOGS (is actually worst at dogs!!!)

eating only apples posted:

Hi dog thread. A friend of mine recently adopted a 10-month-old labrador puppy, Evan, from a shelter. Unfortunately he and his family are having a lot of difficulty with one particular issue that the dog has: biting.

He's old enough that although he's not been trained out of the puppy mouthing thing, he still draws blood, and he mouths when he's excited or overstimulated. If they drop the game and leave the room, he bites at their butts and jumps up at their backs until they're gone. Sometimes leaving calms him down enough to not mouth, sometimes it doesn't. I have to emphasize that none of this is aggressive, it's what puppies do, but Evan has had very little training or reliable ownership until now.

He's a great puppy otherwise, albeit exhausting. I'm not sure this family have had much experience with young dogs before. There are no children in the household, only three adults (a middle-aged couple and an adult daughter), and he's the only dog. There is a cat - she tends to intimidate/wind Evan up, but he's removed from that situation when it happens. He's taken for long walks twice or more a day. They've had him two weeks or so at this point.

What advice would you give? Evan's a good dog, just very excitable, but they're having a lot of trouble coping with the biting. :sigh:

Does he still have milk teeth? If not, and he's drawing blood, you've got a problem, because that's much too hard. We advise that you leave the room as stated, but in your case make sure the dog is tethered to something sturdy so he can't self-reward and make a game out of you leaving, which is what's happening currently. You'll want to spend a weekend doing this and being very, very strict about the rules. Teeth come out, you disappear. You will leave the room dozens of times throughout this exercise but BE PATIENT AND CONSISTENT and you will see results. I also recommend that you do things to encourage appropriate mouth behavior - encourage licking (rub your hands with frozen sticks of butter), swap out for toys, things like that.

This, like leash walking, is all about consistent boundaries.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Etrips posted:

He wasn't crying because of sleeping too much in the day. Puppies are ridiculous sleepers. When you're growing that much you need a lot of rest!

I'd advise feeding at least three hours before bed. Sometimes your pup might not poop before being crated for the night, which is okay. Lots of puppies, especially smaller breeds, won't consistently sleep through the night until they're 3+ months old.

Don't give the puppy too much attention when he wakes you. Calmly and quietly let him out, let him do his business, reward him and then quietly lead him back to his crate. He'll need to learn that he can't play at night, night is for sleeping.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm having no luck on the internet finding breeders of any kind in San Diego. Any tips for finding them? I read the OP and will go to some shows and talk to the people there. But no luck on google so far.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 12, 2013

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
What happened to your lab puppy?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Triangulum posted:

What happened to your lab puppy?

Posted in the random animal nonsense thread. He was too terrified of men and I live in a house with 4 men. He bit me one night and the rescue organization decided he needed to find a home with a woman in it.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
This page has a pretty long list of breeders in that area.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nyarai posted:

This page has a pretty long list of breeders in that area.

Thank you!

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

blue squares posted:

Posted in the random animal nonsense thread. He was too terrified of men and I live in a house with 4 men. He bit me one night and the rescue organization decided he needed to find a home with a woman in it.

Ah I missed that. I'm sorry, that's a huge bummer :(

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Is there a guideline to how far a puppy should walk in a single walk (or in a day) compared to how old they are? (Like with the months/hours general rule for how long they should go between toileting.) I definitely don't want to overdo it with Kalli and risk damaging her whilst she's young.

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.

Fraction posted:

Is there a guideline to how far a puppy should walk in a single walk (or in a day) compared to how old they are? (Like with the months/hours general rule for how long they should go between toileting.) I definitely don't want to overdo it with Kalli and risk damaging her whilst she's young.

V little, basically - like the way I do it is just to walk them to a (nearby) park and let them off the lead to just play fetch and stuff. With the beagle puppies we start doing 2 mile walks aged about 6 months, and high impact exercise/really long walks at 16-18 months.

When in doubt, go for less exercise over more - she's only about 9 weeks, right? Growth plate issues can gently caress a dog up for life, so it's best to tread carefully.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

She's ten and a half weeks now. What I've been doing (yesterday/today) is carrying her to the field and letting her romp on the extendable leash for two laps of the field (probably about half a mile per lap). We did that three times yesterday and twice today. Does that sound okay or too much? :ohdear:

She mostly runs after/lies down and stares at Lola so at least it's not high impact :v:

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

My vet recommended using the rule of 5 minutes per month of age for walking puppies, I'm not sure how entirely accurate that is but I'm guessing its a useful approximation. I'm not sure I'm doing this right but Artie has a 5 minute walk to the field behind our house then he's let loose and goes around the just over half mile route before we come home. He's 17 weeks old now and other than that we play in the garden or in the house

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

She is probably down for about 25 minutes at a time, I guess, but it's at a wandering/photo taking pace V:shobon:V

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

I've always walked my puppies for as long as they want to keep going, but only off lead so they could set their own pace. When I could tell they were getting tired, I'd carry them for a little bit or head home.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Does anyone have a link to the old greyhound/sighthound thread? I remember one existing, but I can't find one in PI and wouldn't know where to start looking in archives. I've been reading up and watching videos about greyhounds now since I think even if they guy I saw yesterday gets adopted I'd still like to adopt one, as they seem exactly what I'm looking for.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011
My brother and his wife got a private lesson with a dog trainer and said it really helped them and encouraged me to do the same. Beartato's a lot better with fear reactivity than when I got him, but I really could use some extra help to figure out what I'm doing incorrectly/could improve upon. I found two places that look good from their websites, but I don't know which one I should go with. One of them is a couple of trainers that work together in a facility that does classes but they also do private lessons. These trainers have way better credentials than the other one, but going off my gut I like the other trainer for some reason. The first group has a M.P.A. CPDT-KSA CBCC-KSA, two people with CPDT-KA and a former vet tech. The second place isn't nearly as qualified but they state on their website that they use positive reinforcement and redirect and use slight corrections. AThe first place is almost certainly my best bet but I'd like to contact both places and ask a few questions. What should I ask specifically aside from the basic issues in the OP?

I'm not going with the guy my brother and the in-laws picked, he's a Ceasar Milan school of training guy. There's not much I can do about that though.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Dogdoo 8 posted:

My brother and his wife got a private lesson with a dog trainer and said it really helped them and encouraged me to do the same. Beartato's a lot better with fear reactivity than when I got him, but I really could use some extra help to figure out what I'm doing incorrectly/could improve upon. I found two places that look good from their websites, but I don't know which one I should go with. One of them is a couple of trainers that work together in a facility that does classes but they also do private lessons. These trainers have way better credentials than the other one, but going off my gut I like the other trainer for some reason. The first group has a M.P.A. CPDT-KSA CBCC-KSA, two people with CPDT-KA and a former vet tech. The second place isn't nearly as qualified but they state on their website that they use positive reinforcement and redirect and use slight corrections. AThe first place is almost certainly my best bet but I'd like to contact both places and ask a few questions. What should I ask specifically aside from the basic issues in the OP?

I'm not going with the guy my brother and the in-laws picked, he's a Ceasar Milan school of training guy. There's not much I can do about that though.

I would not do anything with a trainer that will up-front mention corrections with a fear reactive dog. You can very quickly lose important signals that a dog is uncomfortable and get 'attacks out of nowhere' if you shut them down with positive punishment. A +R/-P approach (positive reinforcement and negative punishment, aka taking away things rather than correcting), though it seemingly takes forever, will do you much better in the long run.

Are you taking group classes right now?

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011
How on earth did I not connect that the corrections thing. That's why I asked I guess. He's not in any group classes at the moment, he did really well in the recent adopters class I took at first but I haven't done much since. I did take him down to the shelter for a 1/2 hour private lesson, they were awesome but I want a private in home lesson (which they also offer but I wanted to go through someone separate this time, preferably with credentials closer to the list that first place provides).

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Dogdoo 8 posted:

How on earth did I not connect that the corrections thing. That's why I asked I guess. He's not in any group classes at the moment, he did really well in the recent adopters class I took at first but I haven't done much since. I did take him down to the shelter for a 1/2 hour private lesson, they were awesome but I want a private in home lesson (which they also offer but I wanted to go through someone separate this time, preferably with credentials closer to the list that first place provides).

Yeah, I think the credentials on the first place are the ones to look for.

If you have the time/money resources, keeping him in group classes as well as doing a few private sessions will hit a couple of different needs. Group classes are often harder for information tailored specifically to your dog's issues, but on the other hand it's very useful for fearful or nervous dogs to learn to work in a variety of situations around new dogs and new people. On the handler side I like the structure of a curriculum and there's a bit more accountability for me to get my act together rather than when I'm training alone.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Engineer Lenk posted:

Yeah, I think the credentials on the first place are the ones to look for.

If you have the time/money resources, keeping him in group classes as well as doing a few private sessions will hit a couple of different needs. Group classes are often harder for information tailored specifically to your dog's issues, but on the other hand it's very useful for fearful or nervous dogs to learn to work in a variety of situations around new dogs and new people. On the handler side I like the structure of a curriculum and there's a bit more accountability for me to get my act together rather than when I'm training alone.

Money's an issue for running both at the same time, but he seemed to do well in the last class and I think you're right about it helping him. Actually the humane society has a drop in class for fairly cheap and a fearful dog class for more money than that. I really should be taking advantage of their resources more often, they're pretty awesome in general. Accountability is huge and my brother taking his dog to a Cesar Milaney trainer is a huge motivation for me to get off my butt and show him what positive reinforcement training can do. Also it will help my ego if my dog is better than his dog.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Dogdoo 8 posted:

Also it will help my ego if my dog is better than his dog.

Your dog is a poodle. The sky's the limit as far as training is concerned.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Engineer Lenk posted:

Your dog is a poodle. The sky's the limit as far as training is concerned.

He's really smart, very food and praise motivated and takes to conditioning well. He's a bit frustrating because when I'm teaching new stuff he either doesn't get what I'm doing at all until suddenly in a flash he understands completely. It usually takes at least a few sessions of trying to get him to start off what I want for a minute or two and then switching to something he's already good at once or twice (not sit though since that's what he keeps trying to do) and then try again later. He's quite stubborn too. My brother's dog is also really smart and from what little I did with her she's really easy to work with. (She doesn't need leash pops to walk loose leash guys, she just needs praise when she's doing well and having to stop completely when she's pulling, seriously she was doing well with a fixed length on a flexi after a few minutes :(. )

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

When do people usually start giving puppies a little freedom from their tether?

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.

Fraction posted:

When do people usually start giving puppies a little freedom from their tether?
Never.

edit: My default is no tether/leash. Only if it is absolutely necessary for safety concerns. I have very light leashes and if we are in a potentially dangerous situation they drag those around. In the woods we don't even have that. (Of course we practice leash walking on occasion and they wear proper leashes for that. Also when I say take them on a bus or train, but the default is no leash/tether.)

Riiseli fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 17, 2013

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Might be the unpopular opinion, but I had Cohen off leash almost immediately. Once she was old enough to go to the dog park, and I felt I could trust her (this is important) I let her off leash more often than not. This was probably at about 15 weeks of age. The park I took her to was deep in a valley, far from any roads or places for her to get lost and she was such a velcro puppy I had zero concerns letting her run free.

The proper answer is "when you can comfortably bet $100 that the dog will return when you call it".

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I mean tether as in the puppy being connected to me in the house, not the puppy being off leash outside of the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.

Fraction posted:

I mean tether as in the puppy being connected to me in the house, not the puppy being off leash outside of the house.
I covered both. I've tethered a dog indoors (not mine, 7 months old at the time) once in 12 yrs.