Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Louisgod posted:

It's pretty clear they're all placeholders for games we know are coming out or are heavily rumored to be coming. I'm guessing the Xenoblade page is really for X.

It says as much if you go to the link. I highly doubt it'll be out this year, but that's definitely what it's for. Non-news in every definition of the word, maybe save the Zelda 2 one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nintendo's financial report from a few months back claimed that X was coming 2013 to Japan, but not for the West. So I wouldn't be too surprised to see it at E3 and TGS then drop in Japan for the Winter.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Policenaut posted:

Nintendo's financial report from a few months back claimed that X was coming 2013 to Japan, but not for the West. So I wouldn't be too surprised to see it at E3 and TGS then drop in Japan for the Winter.

That's not too surprising, considering the amount of effort needed to localize a JRPG. Especially if it's going to be anywhere near as big as Xenoblade was.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's not too surprising, considering the amount of effort needed to localize a JRPG. Especially if it's going to be anywhere near as big as Xenoblade was.

It would be beyond stupid to hold back a sequel for EU/NA to that game after the colossal critical success it had, plus I'm guessing it will eventually come to America after it was shown on the big Direct reel.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I worded that wrong. X is (probably) coming to the West, but not in 2013. Localization times and all that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MinibarMatchman posted:

It would be beyond stupid to hold back a sequel for EU/NA to that game after the colossal critical success it had, plus I'm guessing it will eventually come to America after it was shown on the big Direct reel.

It's not about holding it back - a game that big takes a shitload of time to localize. A group of perhaps 10-20 people have to take ever single conversation, item description, and quest log, then localize it into something readable in English.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Policenaut posted:

It's listed under "TBD" in all regions actually.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not about holding it back - a game that big takes a shitload of time to localize. A group of perhaps 10-20 people have to take ever single conversation, item description, and quest log, then localize it into something readable in English.

And then there's all the VA recording, processing, reprogramming, another couple rounds of QA.. a lot goes into localisation.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

Yeah but they haven't even reprinted Xenoblade yet so I wouldn't put them above loving this one up too.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

japtor posted:

It's listed under "TBD" in all regions actually.

Really? I thought the Japanese version listed it 2013? drat it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Really? I thought the Japanese version listed it 2013? drat it.
Well I can't read the Japanese one but the US one has TBD for it...but it also has TBD for stuff we expect this year like Mario Kart, so who knows. Note that it's not just a 2013 list since they have some stuff on the 3DS side dated for 2014. Could be quite a ways off or they could just be keeping the date a secret for now.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

zenintrude posted:

I'm not sure what your point is.

Xeno- is essentially a loosely related brand, like Final Fantasy.

I'm pretty sure xenogears had some direct Chrono Trigger references too, I think Lucca was someone's grandma and the epoch could be found in a warehouse somewhere?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Artix posted:

It says as much if you go to the link. I highly doubt it'll be out this year, but that's definitely what it's for. Non-news in every definition of the word, maybe save the Zelda 2 one.

Zelda 2 apparently just means "another Zelda sequel", which is already announced.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

zelah posted:

I'm pretty sure xenogears had some direct Chrono Trigger references too, I think Lucca was someone's grandma and the epoch could be found in a warehouse somewhere?

Dunno about her being anyone's grandma, but Lucca had a bunch of tutorial messages for you in the opening town. A cameo, at best.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

AlmightyBob posted:

Yeah but they haven't even reprinted Xenoblade yet so I wouldn't put them above loving this one up too.

Which is a loving crime since demand still seems pretty decent, enough to where the game goes for $100+. I TOLD YOU GUYSSSSSS.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I still don't get why Metroid Prime Trilogy went out of print so fast, either.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Republicans posted:

I still don't get why Metroid Prime Trilogy went out of print so fast, either.

Because Nintendo.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nintendo realized the error of their ways, that Metroid Prime was an insult to the fans and the legacy of Metroid, so they hired their best scriptwriters to retcon it all out, and make the game the true fans wanted. They stopped printing Trilogy immediately so that no one would accidentally buy the bad metroid game.

At least that's what this guy with a strange mustache and glasses, Soshio Yakamoto told me.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
To be fair though nobody bought Pandora's Tower despite being part of the Xenoblade project and also being the last Wii game ever. Nintendo is probably reading this like mixed messages.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

WendigoJohnson posted:

To be fair though nobody bought Pandora's Tower despite being part of the Xenoblade project and also being the last Wii game ever. Nintendo is probably reading this like mixed messages.

I bought them all. I did my part, and I thought the Operation Rainfall thing was a waste of time. Where was that big Operation Rainfall buying power? Were they just all talk?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WendigoJohnson posted:

The only association between Xenoblade, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower was the Operation Rainfall fan drive to get them localized.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mercury Crusader posted:

I bought them all. I did my part, and I thought the Operation Rainfall thing was a waste of time. Where was that big Operation Rainfall buying power? Were they just all talk?

They just wanted to pirate english versions of them. Still, I did my part, bought the special editions of PT and TLS. Wish I'd gotten the red controller with Xenoblade, though..

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mercury Crusader posted:

Who knows, although I've yet to see a Gamestop clerk speak kindly of the Gamecube, Wii, or Wii-U. I picked up 16 Gamecube games for 25 bucks and he started saying just come back when the Wii games are going for 75 cents each, he apparently can't take all this Nintendo stuff they can't seem to get rid of. It makes me wonder just how effective making Xenoblade a Gamestop exclusive was instead of just a general release title.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

WendigoJohnson posted:

Who knows, although I've yet to see a Gamestop clerk speak kindly of the Gamecube, Wii, or Wii-U. I picked up 16 Gamecube games for 25 bucks and he started saying just come back when the Wii games are going for 75 cents each, he apparently can't take all this Nintendo stuff they can't seem to get rid of. It makes me wonder just how effective making Xenoblade a Gamestop exclusive was instead of just a general release title.

Did he give you an exact date and time that Wii games were gonna be 75 cents? I've got 50 bucks Ive been DYING to blow!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Gutcruncher posted:

Did he give you an exact date and time that Wii games were gonna be 75 cents? I've got 50 bucks Ive been DYING to blow!

No, but the fact that I did buy Gamecube games for 75 cents means that it's not out of realms of possibility(I'm pretty sure his comments were heavily laden with sarcasm). From what I've noticed is that they usually do Buy One get One for a few months, reduce the price, Then Buy Two Get Two for a few months, then have everything be 75% off until it's gone forever. They have done things like this for the Playstation 2 as well.

I think the most expensive of what I paid from the 75% off sale was $3.50 for a single game.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 12, 2013

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Thats too bad for you I guess, I had a convo with the guy behind the counter at one at one of the smaller Gamestops around here and he called the Wii U pretty cool without even any real prodding from me. Almost makes me want to buy something from him but with two independent game stores in the area and a different Gamestop who's manager fights tooth and nail to never throw things out thats probably not going to happen.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Cliff Racer posted:

Thats too bad for you I guess, I had a convo with the guy behind the counter at one at one of the smaller Gamestops around here and he called the Wii U pretty cool without even any real prodding from me. Almost makes me want to buy something from him but with two independent game stores in the area and a different Gamestop who's manager fights tooth and nail to never throw things out thats probably not going to happen.

Honestly I really don't care what they say just as long as they keep offering rock bottom prices. The only thing I'd want them to actually change is to stop throwing away the cases, instructions, and covers.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Most retail stores have maybe one huge nintendo fan working there (this was me when I did my time) and then the manager is some Gears-head. For some gosh darn reason the job seems to attract proud "core gamer" types and being dismissive of Nintendo comes with that territory.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I wish I could get a Gamecube for 75 cents. They generally go for about $30 used in local stores. Which is about ten dollars less than a Dreamcast.

kirbysuperstar posted:

They just wanted to pirate english versions of them. Still, I did my part, bought the special editions of PT and TLS. Wish I'd gotten the red controller with Xenoblade, though..
If that's all they wanted they could have done it well before they were released in North America, when they launched in the UK. I think Pandora's Tower didn't sell because it released after the Wii U launch and was the least good of the three. And perhaps because people are just generally tired of paying $40 for sub HD games when you can get Demon's Souls for half that.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Boten Anna posted:

Most retail stores have maybe one huge nintendo fan working there (this was me when I did my time) and then the manager is some Gears-head. For some gosh darn reason the job seems to attract proud "core gamer" types and being dismissive of Nintendo comes with that territory.

But wait aren't multi-console gamers part of the core gamer type? :psyduck:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

WendigoJohnson posted:

If by muliti-console you mean PS and XB sure :v:

If they have a wii, it's for the girlfriend/wife/kids and they totally don't sneak in mario, metroid, or zelda late at night when nobody's looking!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

WendigoJohnson posted:

The definition of 'core gamer' 'hardcore gamer' and 'casual gamer' is so stupid and interchangeable that they really shouldnt even be used. They can be someone who either likes every game system and genre because theyre so hardcore, or they can be someone who only plays COD and only on Xbox because theyre so hardcore.

:iiam:

WendigoJohnson posted:

Why would you bother sneaking to play a videogame in your own drat house?

Hey man, what if your wife and kids discover you arent quite as hardcore as you let on? Thats a one way ticket to divorceville if Ive ever seen one.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 12, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Boten Anna posted:

If by muliti-console you mean PS and XB sure :v:

If they have a wii, it's for the girlfriend/wife/kids and they totally don't sneak in mario, metroid, or zelda late at night when nobody's looking!

Why would you bother sneaking to play a videogame in your own drat house? Why should you even feel ashamed to play a videogame in the first place?

Gutcruncher posted:

Hey man, what if your wife and kids discover you arent quite as hardcore as you let on? Thats a one way ticket to divorceville if Ive ever seen one.

Write in the pre-nup that she better allow you to game whenever and on whatever you want, including the 32X and Saturn. :colbert:

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 12, 2013

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

WendigoJohnson posted:

Why would you bother sneaking to play a videogame in your own drat house? Why should you even feel ashamed to play a videogame in the first place?

Machismo.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The OP here says the next Smash Bros is going to be revealed at E3, but I thought Nintendo isn't having a conference to reveal things this year?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Not doing the standard E3 conference != Utter radio silence during E3

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The OP here says the next Smash Bros is going to be revealed at E3, but I thought Nintendo isn't having a conference to reveal things this year?

They've still got their usual floor presence and close-door investor meetings (I think they've got a Nintendo Direct planned too?), they're just not doing the big presentation this year.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

They're having two closed-to-the-public presentations and will be on the show floor. ~*Games Journalists*~ just reporting that Nintendo is skipping E3 because they're opting out of a public keynote.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

Not doing the standard E3 conference != Utter radio silence during E3

Yeah but show floor doesn't exactly scream "huge game reveal"

Didn't know they're gonna have closed conferences though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It's all gonna be Nintendo Direct reveals this year.

• Locked thread