Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

LumberingTroll posted:

What is the general thoughts on Kings of War? I know the first impression is oh god a Warhammer rip off, but I have been reading up on it and I like a lot of the things they do. Fast play and way less fiddly for example, another thing that really striked me as neat is that the figures are not removed until the whole unit is wiped out. This means you can do mini dioramas, I really like this idea.

It's fantastic, like a cross between Warhammer and Hordes of the Things/DBA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Silhouette posted:

It's fantastic, like a cross between Warhammer and Hordes of the Things/DBA.

Yeah its fun and super fast play. Also with no casualty removal and base area being the only factor in unit size, you can go to town on some cool dioramas/units. I play it in 15mm using 50mm square bases. Works a treat.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Serotonin posted:

Yeah its fun and super fast play. Also with no casualty removal and base area being the only factor in unit size, you can go to town on some cool dioramas/units. I play it in 15mm using 50mm square bases. Works a treat.

Man every time I see your tiny dudes it makes me want to get some! What company are they from? Those Orcs look great.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

ineptmule posted:

Man every time I see your tiny dudes it makes me want to get some! What company are they from? Those Orcs look great.

http://www.splinteredlightminis.com/

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Indolent Bastard posted:

I have been fiddling with these guys a little too long and I think I have lost my objectivity.
I'd say that aside from the heavy, they do an alright job of looking like Redemptionists. Regardless, those are some cool conversions!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Verdugo posted:

A question for the painters: How do you get over the annoyance of painting 50 dudes the same? I tried getting an assembly line set up, and painting the 50th red shield in a row is really getting to me -- it's what had me stop painting originally.

I "got over it" by quitting 40k and picking up a skirmish game so I'd never have to paint more than like 4 of the same thing ever again.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
I can barely cope with painting one thing never mind a squads worth. My to do pile is littered with half finished squads I got bored with. I dont know how you army painters do it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

I can barely cope with painting one thing never mind a squads worth. My to do pile is littered with half finished squads I got bored with. I dont know how you army painters do it.
I never have more than a squad or so on my painting table. Piles of plastic and metal can get really daunting, while 3-10 dudes on your table are something you know you can put a dent into.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

SRM posted:

I never have more than a squad or so on my painting table. Piles of plastic and metal can get really daunting, while 3-10 dudes on your table are something you know you can put a dent into.

Adding to that - I think it's fairly important to paint models you like. Troops are rarely those, so I try to alternate between finishing 5-10 troops and one model that I am really looking forward to painting. It keeps painting from being a chore and still lets [forces] me to finish my troops choices.

Of course, that's how I have 2 Necron stalkers, 2 Tyranids, a Dreadknight, a Great Unclean One, and a Bloodthirster all painted without any armies to play with them. :homebrew:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zhent posted:

Adding to that - I think it's fairly important to paint models you like. Troops are rarely those, so I try to alternate between finishing 5-10 troops and one model that I am really looking forward to painting. It keeps painting from being a chore and still lets [forces] me to finish my troops choices.

Of course, that's how I have 2 Necron stalkers, 2 Tyranids, a Dreadknight, a Great Unclean One, and a Bloodthirster all painted without any armies to play with them. :homebrew:
Yeah, change things up. My last projects in order have been
- Dark Angels Tactical squad
- Dark Angels captain
- Deathwing Terminators
- Necromunda Goliaths
- Ravenwing Bikers and Goliaths at the same time
I wasn't painting the same color two months in a row pretty much. Not every army gets as many diverse paint schemes as Dark Angels, but some do. That and Goliaths are a huge change of pace since they're all flesh and cloth and don't have a ton of hard edges for highlights. Just change things up. There were about 8 months where I painted 2000 points of Valhallan Imperial Guard up, and while they looked great, I wasn't getting any enjoyment out of painting them. I would have these models on my desk, and somehow by the end of the week they'd all been painted and I'd have no recollection of painting them. I got wicked burnt out on painting and gaming in general after that.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

JoshTheStampede posted:

I "got over it" by quitting 40k and picking up a skirmish game so I'd never have to paint more than like 4 of the same thing ever again.

It's part of the reason I stopped playing Orks. Painting up 100 Ork Boyz broke me. Then of course I picked up WFB.. I should just flip those and stay to small games.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Verdugo posted:

A question for the painters: How do you get over the annoyance of painting 50 dudes the same?
As someone painting exactly fifty of the same guys in the oath thread, I feel qualified to answer this. I'd agree with everything said before, especially that if it's really annoying you may just want to play a smaller army. Which isn't useful once you're started, but really good to keep in mind.

Don't fall into the trap of starting a squad, then rushing your favorite single posed or equipped figure to completion to see what it'll look like. Use that curiosity as motivation to muscle through the boring guys.

The same doesn't always mean identical. Play with hair color, skin tones, weathering, or basing. A real world uniformed army is never as uniform (in appearance) in combat as on the parade field.

If something is especially tedious, skip it! Don't paint the arrow on the shields, use a decal or just leave it blank. When everybody is done, you can go back and do the eyes, pouches, or insignias. But if you run out of steam painting bootlaces, that's where your models are going to stay.

Don't think of it as fifty models. Think of it as one big model with fifty parts. Focus on the big picture and don't let any models get too far ahead or behind the others.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

moths posted:

If something is especially tedious, skip it! Don't paint the arrow on the shields, use a decal or just leave it blank. When everybody is done, you can go back and do the eyes, pouches, or insignias. But if you run out of steam painting bootlaces, that's where your models are going to stay.

This is a HUGE part of why I don't play army-scale games anymore. Every model that comes out nowadays is amazingly detailed, and I want them all to look great. But I just can't paint 50 space marines to the level I want them to be. I just can't. It would take six months.

When my whole "army" is ten unique dudes I can spend as much time as I want detailing each one. I can practice new techniques and colors on Dude #5's coat because I don't have to then paint that same coat ten times. I never have to paint vehicles, but still occasionally get to paint large monsters, which I enjoy.

I have a lovingly converted and kitbashed squad of like 25 uniquely equipped chaos wolf guard terminators that I will never paint because painting one is useless and painting 20 guys in purple armor makes me sick to my stomach. I have probably 50 more unpainted space marines that I painted one squad plus a rhino and dreadnaught for and it felt like I painted a whole army but it's not even 500 points worth. gently caress that noise. So now the awesome sternguard sculpts and characters that I really like just sit there unpainted.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

LumberingTroll posted:

What is the general thoughts on Kings of War? I know the first impression is oh god a Warhammer rip off, but I have been reading up on it and I like a lot of the things they do. Fast play and way less fiddly for example, another thing that really striked me as neat is that the figures are not removed until the whole unit is wiped out. This means you can do mini dioramas, I really like this idea.

I love it. Posted this a couple of pages ago:

And my next project:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

It doesn't work. I now have like 300 ridiculously-detailed Infinity minis, each demanding proper attention :suicide:

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Verdugo posted:

A question for the painters: How do you get over the annoyance of painting 50 dudes the same? I tried getting an assembly line set up, and painting the 50th red shield in a row is really getting to me -- it's what had me stop painting originally.

Audio books. The parts of your brain needed to paint are different than the parts of your brain needed to listen, so you can give both your full and undivided attention at the same time. Audio books are super long, and since you'll have painted stuff to show for it, reading is objectively for chumps.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Welp, you guys were right. I am both a terrible painter and photographer.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I thought this would be fun to share.

I started painting about half a year ago- slowly building up the courage to start painting my legion army (I don't want to gently caress up all that expensive plastic). So I've been slowly painting test models and working out a theme (based on this), trying new things, and working out my style. I'm still not very good, but now that I've taken pictures I actually feel a bit better about my painting.

My first mini. I just gave up after a certain point and tested washes on it. I didn't even know what color a bolter I wanted :shobon:

At least I got my bolter color down. I think I realized at this point that white was hard to paint. Also that big static grass doesn't look good.

Fist big jump in quality, I think. Eyes are hard to paint and so are highlights.

Realized I didn't like my theme and decided to try some new things. I did a lot of blending though so I learned the basics on this guy. I just gave up after the stripes all failed.

Another big jump in quality. I started using weathering powders, pencil weathering, and wax metal paint. Realized the model was too dark and decided to try something else for my black colors.

My favorite model so far. I love how the coal black turned out and even though I seriously hosed up my wax metal paint it came out really interesting. It doesn't look like much, but I also tried chipping fluid for the first time.

I started using oil washes here and really pushed my chipping even more. As per advice in the thread I've been pushing my shadows and highlights an am seeing better depth of color. My highlights are still sloppy though and I need to take time to paint eyes.

Up next I'm going to try out liquid metal paints and custom decals. Any thoughts on how I could improve on the theme and color choice? General feedback?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pierzak posted:

It doesn't work. I now have like 300 ridiculously-detailed Infinity minis, each demanding proper attention :suicide:

Well yeah I have dozens of unpainted Malifaux minis to work through but at least the very thought of painting them doesn't make me queasy. And painting even one feels like progress.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Daedleh posted:

I love it. Posted this a couple of pages ago:

And my next project:

Yeah, your stuff is actually what made me interested in the system. I need to play it a couple times make sure I like it before I commit models to diorama stands, but I really like the idea of it. It would suck if one day I decided I wanted to use the figures for something else though. I suppose taking them apart and stripping / repainting is always an option if that happens though.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

Any thoughts on how I could improve on the theme and color choice? General feedback?

Hey cool, it's about time you posted up some of your dudes. Seeing your improvements through all the different marines is really cool. The last one looks ace.

As far as critiques go, you've pretty much nailed it down yourself. Helmet lenses would add alot, and i guess the highlights could be cleaned up a bit (i think they look fine). The color scheme owns, weathering looks great, and the bases work. I like them.

Now come back to WA and play with Panascope and me.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Based and dull coated a few models today, if I'm motivated there may be two more soon to follow. My ork army is slowly growing, but I need to get back to painting the boyz (stock troops).

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

One of you lovely people did a little write up about making metallic weapons and things show heat damage using a couple of washes. Did anyone save a copy and can you post it again?

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008

Serotonin posted:

I know I've quoted this before but I will quote it again because TINY MANS :swoon:

BULBASAUR posted:

I thought this would be fun to share.

I started using oil washes here and really pushed my chipping even more. As per advice in the thread I've been pushing my shadows and highlights an am seeing better depth of color. My highlights are still sloppy though and I need to take time to paint eyes.

Up next I'm going to try out liquid metal paints and custom decals. Any thoughts on how I could improve on the theme and color choice? General feedback?

General feedback: you aren't a bad painter and you are clearly improving through your experiments. As is with all things in life dedication will trump any amount of natural talent or innate skill. The more you keep at it the more you'll improve.

Your stuff isn't bad at all, though, I prefer washed out/banged up marines as opposed to bright primary colors. I guess thats why I prefer chaos in general, really.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

BULBASAUR posted:

Any thoughts on how I could improve on the theme and color choice? General feedback?

For theme, you should definitely read up on the Sons of Malice. Whether intentional or not, you've got their color scheme down exactly. They worship Malal, the fifth chaos god GW didn't own the rights to (but used anyway).

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga

Bavius posted:

Based and dull coated a few models today, if I'm motivated there may be two more soon to follow. My ork army is slowly growing, but I need to get back to painting the boyz (stock troops).

These are phenomenal - especially I like the weathering on those bikes and the basing.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

What kind of masks/filters are people using for airbrushing? The cheap 3M ones seem to be "disposable" so I'm not sure they are as obvious a choice as I thought :-/

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

dishwasherlove posted:

One of you lovely people did a little write up about making metallic weapons and things show heat damage using a couple of washes. Did anyone save a copy and can you post it again?

I think this is what you're looking for -

http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/09/how-to-paint-heat-stained-gun-barrels.html

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

HardCoil posted:

What kind of masks/filters are people using for airbrushing? The cheap 3M ones seem to be "disposable" so I'm not sure they are as obvious a choice as I thought :-/

I just use the disposable paper dust masks, and even that only when I'm spraying something nasty like primer or varnish. But I do have a spray booth with a fan.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Dust masks aren't really up to snuff for airbrushing as far as I know. You want a properly filtered fumes/particulates mask and you want to be wearing it whenever you're spraying.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Dust masks aren't really up to snuff for airbrushing as far as I know. You want a properly filtered fumes/particulates mask and you want to be wearing it whenever you're spraying.

I can't easily link it from my phone but I use the 3M Organic Vapor mask. It's like $25 and works great. Replacement filters are pretty cheap on Amazon. It works perfectly too. Never smell a thing, even the time I had to move a gross dead groundhog from my backyard. Worth every penny.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Do any of you guys know of some kind of masking material sheet? I want to try a digital camo scheme for my Tau, and the closest I can find is these sheets. I could buy these, but what I would really like is some kind of blank sheet in which I could print my own pattern onto, and then cut out. Anyone have any advice?

Takkaryx fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 12, 2013

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Takkaryx posted:

Do any of you guys know of some kind of masking material sheet? I want to try a digital camo scheme for my Tau, and the closest I can find is these sheets. I could buy these, but what I would really like is some kind of blank sheet in which I could print my own pattern onto, and then cut out. Anyone have any advice?

Here ya go, http://www.iwata-medea.com/masking-films-type/masking-film/

they have several kinds, and work well.

Edit: had to fix your url I quoted, it was breaking mine :D

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 12, 2013

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Im just about to give those Critical Mass masking sheets a try. They seem pretty decent looking at them for real. Will let you know how I get on with them.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

HardCoil posted:

Don't use dustmasks, you want a respirator. That sounds expensive, but they aren't: you just need a mask and some cartridges. If you take the cartridges off and keep them in airtight baggie with as much air pushed out as possible, one set will last a really long time. I wear my respirator when I spraypaint, prime, etc. and I'm still on the original filter cartridge after about five years.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
I just huff fumes straight out of the can.

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008
I don't know about the rest of y'all but inhalant abuse is why I started this hobby! :wink:

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Purgey posted:

I don't know about the rest of y'all but inhalant abuse is why I started this hobby! :wink:

Mini Painting: Huff primer, gain Wraithtsight.

EDIT: Typo...probably due to airbrushing without a mask.

Hermetic fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 13, 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Purgey posted:

You may be interested in this thread then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

thunderchief posted:

These are phenomenal - especially I like the weathering on those bikes and the basing.

Thank you! When I was weathering these I wasn't sure it would payoff, the red looked really nice and each step was like ruining a great sports car finish.

• Locked thread