Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

rotaryfun posted:

This, I really wish there were listed weight limits.

Guess what I did wrong and why I received no credit for completing this mission.

I docked them on the wrong hub! :geno:

Yanno another irritating part about this game? Your various deployed space modules retain their thruster fuel between missions. I hope I don't have to rotate that space station too much in the future. :( It's probably a good idea to keep your tugs attached to the modules until you absolutely need to jettison them in later missions. e: nope, tugs automatically detach when you dock.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
haha I did had a silly issue in mission 6, attaching the hub to the space station. In that I attached the Hub to the wrong 1 of the 4 available ports on the hub. There is a white dot that is supposed to be docked next to the SS. I ended up putting the opposite port connected to the SS. Wouldn't finish the mission.

edit: this just happened to me... overshot the SS so once I finally realigned, I was dead stopped and out of fuel. I like to imagine that at least one space mission was performed in the past to refuel a tug... all because Jimmy forgot his decimal and miscalculated the required fuel load.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 11, 2013

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

rotaryfun posted:

haha I did had a silly issue in mission 6, attaching the hub to the space station. In that I attached the Hub to the wrong 1 of the 4 available ports on the hub. There is a white dot that is supposed to be docked next to the SS. I ended up putting the opposite port connected to the SS. Wouldn't finish the mission.

edit: this just happened to me... overshot the SS so once I finally realigned, I was dead stopped and out of fuel. I like to imagine that at least one space mission was performed in the past to refuel a tug... all because Jimmy forgot his decimal and miscalculated the required fuel load.

Dude... if you had just detached the tug where you were, the force of the detachment would've connected that module to the space station! At least that's what it looks like to me.

I finally got to the lunar landing mission. I did everything right, but as soon as my LM touched down on the moon it exploded. Not sure what to do here. Was I going too fast? I landed in the correct zone.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Dude... if you had just detached the tug where you were, the force of the detachment would've connected that module to the space station! At least that's what it looks like to me.

I finally got to the lunar landing mission. I did everything right, but as soon as my LM touched down on the moon it exploded. Not sure what to do here. Was I going too fast? I landed in the correct zone.

HAHAHAHA :aaaaa: :doh:

Just lined it up and tried to see if that's what would happen and when the payload is released, the tug does a reverse burn and the payload stays. Still failed :colbert:

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 11, 2013

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Haha, well, at least now we know for sure.

I also experienced a glitch while doing the sun mission. While my first sensor was halfway on course, the mission suddenly ended and awarded me a silver. :shrug: I'll take it I guess. I'll probably fly a free mission just to see what the sun looks like at least.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Sidpret posted:

How are these? I know Spectral Souls has a free trial so I'll check that but I wouldn't mind hearing a bit more about it, especially since the unlock price tag is pretty steep. Rebirth of Fortune looks like a complete tactics ripoff. If I had to choose between it and FFT, keeping in mind that there's a $13 price differential, which one should I go for?

In some kind of creepy coincidence they updated Spectral Souls to support some controller thing and they also released Rebirth of Fortune 2 today.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Bummey posted:

Guess what I did wrong and why I received no credit for completing this mission.

rotaryfun posted:

I made exactly the same mistakes, docking at the wrong 4-port hub and then at the wrong port on the right hub. At least the objective not registering make it pretty obvious what happened.

Bummey posted:

Yanno another irritating part about this game? Your various deployed space modules retain their thruster fuel between missions. I hope I don't have to rotate that space station too much in the future. :( It's probably a good idea to keep your tugs attached to the modules until you absolutely need to jettison them in later missions. e: nope, tugs automatically detach when you dock.
From what I've seen that might be true but it basically hasn't mattered at all, at least up through Mission 19 where I'm currently at (can't figure out how to safely slow down a rival space station spinning out of control).

Bummey posted:

Huh. That did it. Stupid weight limit poo poo. I wish the game showed weight thresholds and required thrust values.

rotaryfun posted:

This, I really wish there were listed weight limits.
I wish that it was listed as a 1-10 scale attribute for different components but the indicators that show up on the left when you're building your rocket do the job. It still sometimes wastes time when the final payload is what trips all those indicators to red, though.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I've been enjoying Jamestown on Steam. Any similar shmups with a nice smooth difficulty grade and some form of progression in either unlockable content or bonus levels or whatever?

Also, what's good in the dual stick shooter rpg genre besides the Solomon and Bug Heroes games? Seems like a genre that's well suited to a touch screen.

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH
How the poo poo am I supposed to win the "Deep Eye" mission in Star Command? (It's the one with the glass brains).

They keep bombarding me with poo poo and those stupid things keep running away from my attackers and go onto blow up even more poo poo.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

foobar posted:

Quick question about Ace Patrol - is there any way to grind previous missions, to either get better maneuvers or complete enough missions to get a pilot out of the hospital?

Think of it more like X-com. The campaigns are semi-randomized and designed to be replayed, so if you're losing lots of pilots you're just going to get a bad result on that particular campaign. It doesn't take long to play through one, though, so if you do badly you can just start a new one. :)

You'll never be forced into a complete loss condition, though. If all your pilots are down, you can just skip missions (taking a 0 on them) until you get enough back to start flying again.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Also, what's good in the dual stick shooter rpg genre besides the Solomon and Bug Heroes games? Seems like a genre that's well suited to a touch screen.

The Robokill games are some decent mindless twin stick shooty fun. They drop in price fairly frequently so, you know, appshopper.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So I saw from TA that SEGA iOS games are on sale. Are the ports of Crazy Taxi, House of the Dead Overkill or After Burner any good?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Yodzilla posted:

So I saw from TA that SEGA iOS games are on sale. Are the ports of Crazy Taxi, House of the Dead Overkill or After Burner any good?

The Crazy Taxi port plays okay; smooth, controls are decent, etc. I haven't played the original in years an years, though; I was sad that the overall game doesn't hold up nearly as well as I thought/hoped it would.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

teknetik posted:

How the poo poo am I supposed to win the "Deep Eye" mission in Star Command? (It's the one with the glass brains).

They keep bombarding me with poo poo and those stupid things keep running away from my attackers and go onto blow up even more poo poo.

I just have everyone that can attack bunch up at the back of the ship with a couple healers (leave one person in each weapon room though)and leave you engineers create dodge tokens. How the games works now it doesn't really matter if the boarders destroy anything but the rooms you are actively using (weapons/dodge).

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Sid Meier, you glorious bastard. All of this talk of Zynga-inspired shitware in the thread had me down, so I'm happy to say Ace Patrol has some legitimate meat on its bones.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Boy Space Agency is pretty rad. I'm stuck on this blind shot to put some probes around the sun. I thought the sun would be huge but it's like the size of the moon so I grossly underestimated my trajectory. Is there some trick to aiming at distant objects or something?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Sid Meier, you glorious bastard. All of this talk of Zynga-inspired shitware in the thread had me down, so I'm happy to say Ace Patrol has some legitimate meat on its bones.

I'm loving it too, but I really wish the campaigns were more sandboxy and open-ended. Having a set number of missions and a hard ending to the campaign bums me out; I wish I could keep developing characters and playing hard missions indefinitely.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

randombattle posted:

Boy Space Agency is pretty rad. I'm stuck on this blind shot to put some probes around the sun. I thought the sun would be huge but it's like the size of the moon so I grossly underestimated my trajectory. Is there some trick to aiming at distant objects or something?
I've found that gold time limits are achievable without traveling through space faster than maxed green velocity. Therefore, you make your course corrections while on diagonal thrusts to get out of the red zone (which you hould only just barely be in due to orbital escape velocity).

Once you get your timing down you can have your craft rotating slowly during the entire trip and thrusting at certain points to save maneuver jet fuel. Generally, avoid course corrections that are thrusts at 90 degrees to your direction of travel as you will probably overcorrect.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Trustworthy posted:

I'm loving it too, but I really wish the campaigns were more sandboxy and open-ended. Having a set number of missions and a hard ending to the campaign bums me out; I wish I could keep developing characters and playing hard missions indefinitely.

I love the use of the camera button. Also when you have more than a few planes in the same space the icons are too large.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Note to all Space Agency players: for the moon landing mission, just because you can get into orbit without the second stage Saturn rocket doesn't mean you should. It's actually one of the objectives to build the whole rocket. So when I checked my objectives screen after finally landing on the moon, I saw none of them were checked off. I hope my neighbors didn't hear me when I let loose a Charlie Brown-esque yell of frustration. :doh:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

In Ace Patrol, how do you get a POW back? Learned my lesson about putting all my eggs in one murderous basket.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

fozzy fosbourne posted:

In Ace Patrol, how do you get a POW back? Learned my lesson about putting all my eggs in one murderous basket.

They exchange at the end of every row (Christmas if you want to be precise)

Otherwise you pay .99 to get them back.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

First mission to resupply the space station:

:downs: If I use the tender's boosters, I can get to the station faster! Full burn!

There were no survivors.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
For the data transmission mission for the green planet, I get the satellite aligned and then put the transmission dish into the atmosphere, pointed upwards the whole time, but none of the data gets transferred. Do I have to have the dish enter Green's atmosphere precisely aligned with the satellite above?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

For the data transmission mission for the green planet, I get the satellite aligned and then put the transmission dish into the atmosphere, pointed upwards the whole time, but none of the data gets transferred. Do I have to have the dish enter Green's atmosphere precisely aligned with the satellite above?
Try aligning the survey satellite about 20 degrees more towards the planet so the actual little dish on it is actually parallel to the planet surface.. I don't think it has to match up like the moon landing's landing zone.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Mission 9 is the one I'm stuck on now. Such a goddamn cock.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Yeah, not sure about this spinning out of control space station. I brought one of the smallish round looking modules back with me but I burned up in Earth's atmosphere before I could figure out what to do with it.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

Det_no posted:

In some kind of creepy coincidence they updated Spectral Souls to support some controller thing and they also released Rebirth of Fortune 2 today.

I grabbed Rebirth of Fortune 2 since it's just $0.99. I'll give some impressions later today.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
Crabitron just dropped in price for the third time this week? Now it's only 99 cents!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Duranki posted:

Crabitron just dropped in price for the third time this week? Now it's only 99 cents!

This race to the bottom has been the best thing that's happened to my wallet.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Sidpret posted:

I grabbed Rebirth of Fortune 2 since it's just $0.99. I'll give some impressions later today.
I played it for a few minutes on my iPod Touch and realized they barely optimized the text for that size, so I'll have to try it on my iPad instead.

Glad Crabitron dropped to 99c, I was waiting.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This race to the bottom has been the best thing that's happened to my wallet.

The latest Crabstarter update has total Crabitron earnings at $12,747.00 :(

Here's hoping the latest drop gives them some kind of boost, the only place they go from here is free I suppose.

http://twolivesleft.com/Crabstarter/

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Space Agency owns. Now stuck on... mission 4. :smith: I can get into orbit but I don't have enough fuel to get lined up. I even got it in the exact right orbit at the right speed, but a quarter-orbit off from the arbitrary green square, and it didn't register.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

JazzFlight posted:

I played it for a few minutes on my iPod Touch and realized they barely optimized the text for that size, so I'll have to try it on my iPad instead.

Glad Crabitron dropped to 99c, I was waiting.

Did seem promising at least? The look made me think of Tactics Ogre/FFT and if it's similar to them and even half as good I'd probably grab both.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Did seem promising at least? The look made me think of Tactics Ogre/FFT and if it's similar to them and even half as good I'd probably grab both.

Played around with Rebirth of Fortune 2 a bit. I don't see any text problems on my iPhone 5. Everything looks pretty nice. The graphical presentation is actually really solid, with maps that look quite a bit nicer than the first one (I didn't play 1, just going off screenshots).

The game is only $0.99 and you don't need to buy any IAP (if you did, it seems very very reasonably priced) so you might as well try it if you're into tactical rpgs. Unfortunately it doesn't have a lot of depth so I can't see it being anything more than an occasional time waster. There's no real story, just tons and tons of battles on a rather large map (it seems like to get to the final boss you'll have to play something crazy like 300 missions). There are 12 classes but a lot of them are just upgraded versions of each other. You level each class using gold gained in battle, which makes the class's stats a little better and lets them earn 3-4 skills to use in combat. That sounds pretty good but that's literally it. I've just explained all of the mechanics in the game to you. There are no terrain/height/position mechanics that I can see, no reason to keep your troops alive in battle (there is nothing unique to a soldier - all archers or whatever are interchangeable), and there's nothing that differentiates any troop from another aside from class. In the long run it's just going to feel grindy.

Minor gripes: sometimes touch targets are a bit harder to hit than they should be, no tutorial, scrolling the map vs selecting a square is finicky.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Everyone download Say The Same Thing. Wonderful word association game that is really fun to play.

I hope this video works

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=2sP1DqyagXE

mrbasehart
Jul 19, 2010
Are people still egg sharing in Tapped Out? I've got dozens of the buggers if anyone wants some. Name is Dangermaus091.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

mrbasehart posted:

Are people still egg sharing in Tapped Out? I've got dozens of the buggers if anyone wants some. Name is Dangermaus091.

Adding you just for more towns. I'm done, so don't leave me any eggs, especially not hidden somewhere I can't find!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Everyone download Say The Same Thing. Wonderful word association game that is really fun to play.

I hope this video works

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=2sP1DqyagXE

It does not.

I assume you mean this instead of OK GO though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXdfqW3OBF0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Davincie posted:

It does not.

I assume you mean this instead of OK GO though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXdfqW3OBF0

No, it's actually coded by the band Ok Go. Plus my video is much more entertaining!

• Locked thread