Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

quote:

After falling short of achieving his childhood dream to become a super hero, Omar Kelly figured he'd do the next best thing and become a journalist who fights against injustice, and searches for truth. After being bored to death reporting news and covering politics, he switched to sports.

"Ehhh yeah that whole 'fighting injustice' thing is too hard and boring so now I write bullshit about a game."

edit: He even calls himself a "part time superhero" on his Twitter account. I THOUGHT YOU SHELVED THAT DREAM, OMAR. WHICH IS IT?!

haljordan fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ozu posted:

This is not a satire account.

@OmarKelly
I'm like a cat. Very moody. Sometimes I want to play. Sometimes I'll scratch you. You just never know.

This is unfair to cats, because cats typically bury their turds rather than post them on Twitter.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

I can't believe a grown man wrote that. The record would scratch if you said this out loud at a party.

commy gun posted:

Sometimes I piss on the couch.

hhhiiiisssssss

:lol:

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.
Omar's twitter is amazing. He gets nasty with fans all the time and generally acts like an unprofessional turd. Some highlights!

Omar is a trendsetter:

quote:

I'm into finding who is NEXT. I'll talk about 50, Kanye, Drake, Kendrick before they are the IT guy. Then I'll move on hunting who is NEXT.

Omar breaking down stadium renovations for the little people:

quote:

If everyone in your neighborhood gets a homestead exemption tax rebate but you does that seem fair? How are Dolphins ANY different?

Omar gets angry at someone for not reading his entire timeline before asking a question:

quote:

Explained that earlier today. Check the timeline from AM And I don't repeat myself because I THOROUGHLY explained it earlier. You missed that, probably more you missed.

Omar: Only brings the TRUTH.

quote:

One of the fundamental codes of journalism is telling the truth. Not half truths, or what best strengthens your argument or agenda

All of these gems were within the last day or two. Good lord.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Sometimes I think Twitter is just the world's most elaborate meta joke, created by unseen forces to give a global platform to every single dumbshit on the planet with which they can constantly embarrass themselves.

An Idiot posted:

If everyone in your neighborhood gets a homestead exemption tax rebate but you does that seem fair? How are Dolphins ANY different?

That one is my favorite. Here's why they created homestead exemption tax rebates in the first place:

quote:

The credit is designed to give the greatest property tax relief to senior citizens, disabled or blind persons and disabled veterans as well as the surviving spouse of a veteran. Michigan residents who are not in these groups may also qualify for the credit.

So basically it's designed to help out people who can't go out and work a job or people who have lost a spouse. Not some shithead billionaire professional sports team owner who could wipe his rear end with $100 bills. If I'm interpreting this wrong, someone can correct me but I don't think giving a homeowner a $25,000 break on their property assessment so they can pay their mortgage and not get gaped by taxes should translate into giving a sports stadium hundreds of millions of dollars in tax breaks.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 10, 2013

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
NEXT is a little known acronym for New, Emerging, eXciting, Terrific!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Anals of History posted:

I can't believe a grown man wrote that. The record would scratch if you said this out loud at a party.

Depends on the party, really.

None of them are the kind of party you or I want to go to though.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--tim-tebow-blackballed-by-nfl-teams-because-of-cult-like-following--media-frenzy-054940389.html#more-id

I'm sure this got linked in N/V, but it deserves a mention here. Mike Silver writes a piece about Tim Tebow being blackballed because of the media circus surrounding him and his fanbase. Okay, sure. I can buy th-

quote:

And just as I feel compelled to call out the league when it comes to injustices like the dearth of minorities in offensive play-calling roles, the apparent blacklisting of a quarterback who went 7-4 as a starter in 2011 and won a memorable playoff game over the Pittsburgh Steelers doesn't seem kosher to me.

:stare:

Comparing the problem of minority coaching in the NFL to Tim Tebow not getting a job? That is pretty special.

midwat
May 6, 2007

What if Tim Tebow were white?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Remember when the Steelers did bad because they were bad? Isn't that proof that Tebow is good!?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Tim Tebow won some memorable games

This is just the remaining relics of institutionalized racism present in football because

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Sash! posted:

Remember when the Steelers did bad because they were bad? Isn't that proof that Tebow is good!?

I'm amazed that narrative has persisted as long as it has. I didn't expect it to last through the hilarious beatdown New England put on the Broncos the following week, yet here we are in May of 2013 talking about beating the Steelers of January 2012 like it was an achievement. The way the wheels fell off that team, Tebow should've been criticized for letting it go to OT.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

The worst part of the Silver article is that most of it is pretty on point, and he is right that it sucks for Tebow that things outside of his control are probably going to cost him a job in the NFL. The comparison he uses is just so mind boggling dumb that it drags the rest of the article down.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

superaielman posted:

The worst part of the Silver article is that most of it is pretty on point, and he is right that it sucks for Tebow that things outside of his control are probably going to cost him a job in the NFL. The comparison he uses is just so mind boggling dumb that it drags the rest of the article down.

What things out of his control?

Genetics and previous coaching?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Tebow is getting drummed out for the same reason I keep getting passed over in the draft.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Anyone who thought that Tebow was going to successfully make the transition from college to the NFL is dumb.

Dude was amazing at Florida, but the issues with his game were glaringly obvious to any objective observer.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

I think he's saying that Tebow can't help that there will be a media circus wherever he goes and that some (many, all?) GMs and owners don't want to deal with the distraction. Though he hasn't shied away from the spotlight, the type of attention he gets isn't based on that.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Also genetically Tim Tebow is pretty loving gifted (fast, arm like a cannon, big as gently caress) but the problem is with his mechanics, which are so skullfuckingly awful that they render him useless on any sort of consistent basis.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
just realized I'm the tim tebow of life if 'mechanics' means 'brain chemistry'

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Rap posted:

God Bless

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I think Tim Tebow's real problem is that he's dumb.

We're talking about someone who hasn't changed anything about how they play football since about 2007. If a wide receiver can't learn how to run a full pro route tree we call him dumb as poo poo, if running backs can't learn blitz pickup they're loving morons. Quarterback is a steeper learning curve of course, but Tebow has show no development anywhere in his game at all. Doing more than reading half the field and either running the ball, handing it off or throwing a Hail Mary seems completely beyond his comprehension. And his technique remains exactly as horrid as it ever was.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I started calling Tebow "simple Tim" in social situations about a year ago

I am dumb

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Ehud posted:

I started calling Tebow "simple Tim" in social situations about a year ago

I am dumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hokREtrk4eM

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Declan MacManus posted:

Also genetically Tim Tebow is pretty loving gifted (fast, arm like a cannon, big as gently caress) but the problem is with his mechanics, which are so skullfuckingly awful that they render him useless on any sort of consistent basis.

Rap posted:

I think you just described the perfect TFF poster.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Genetics and previous coaching?

I'm not claiming that Tebow is any good, but it is his fanbase and the media is a large factor in him not even getting a sniff as a backup. Sports media is terrible, not breaking news.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I think there's a huge ego behind his aww shucks. His refusal to attempt to change his awful mechanics or play a position besides QB indicate to me he got spoiled when he was the king of Florida.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Its Miller Time posted:

I think there's a huge ego behind his aww shucks. His refusal to attempt to change his awful mechanics or play a position besides QB indicate to me he got spoiled when he was the king of Florida.
I don't think he's refusing to change his mechanics. He's just downright incapable of doing it for some reason.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Isaac Bruce Bowen posted:

I don't think he's refusing to change his mechanics. He's just downright incapable of doing it for some reason.

His footwork is also bad.

Here's a cool video: http://vimeo.com/9344613

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Its Miller Time posted:

He spent a lot of time working on his mechanics. I'm at work, so I can't pull up the video, but there is a great YouTube clip of him practicing with a coach in the offseason.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Chichevache posted:

He spent a lot of time working on his mechanics. I'm at work, so I can't pull up the video, but there is a great YouTube clip of him practicing with a coach in the offseason.

Wasn't this just one summer before the draft? I haven't heard of him doing anything since entering the NFL, nor noticed an improvement to my untrained eye. Which is confusing, since he's always billed as super hard working, but perhaps mechanics really can't be changed.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Its Miller Time posted:

Wasn't this just one summer before the draft? I haven't heard of him doing anything since entering the NFL, nor noticed an improvement to my untrained eye. Which is confusing, since he's always billed as super hard working, but perhaps mechanics really can't be changed.

Kaepernick and Aaron Rodgers both rebuilt their mechanics, and Cam Newton has been steadily improving his footwork since he got to the NFL. They can be changed, it's just Tim Tebow hasn't been able to (or hasn't wanted to, whatever)

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah at this point I'm beginning to think Tebow feels entitled and doesn't need anyone's help to change his mechanics.

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 12, 2013

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Welp Tebow is a little off topic and we're coming into prime lovely sportswriting season, so anybody got anything good on that front?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Rap posted:

Welp Tebow is a little off topic and we're coming into prime lovely sportswriting season, so anybody got anything good on that front?

Yes, Tim Tebow and lovely sportswriting are truly polar opposites.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Tebow should of used his time with the Jets to improve his throwing motion.

Or he should pull a Jamarcus and try and work his way back to the NFL, replacing 'getting un fat' with 'not having a terrible throwing motion'

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Goons making up poo poo to make tebow seem like an rear end in a top hat yup its the offseason alright

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Also a reminder Kevin Burnett called Omar two faced and told him to put some pads n if he wants to talk about players like he's on their level

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I was going to make a thread to discuss and theorize why Tebow is unsuccessful at quarterback but we know why already :effort:

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

How about a Tebow quarantine thread? Its long overdue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

I was going to make a thread to discuss and theorize why Tebow is unsuccessful at quarterback but we know why already :effort:

I think the needed tons of work to adapt to the NFL combined with ending up on two teams in utter turmoil / trainwreck situations kinda answers that.

• Locked thread