Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

McDowell posted:

I think they really wanted Benghazi to be Obama's Iranian Revolution/Hostage Crisis. Now that they lost they are just dragging it out for maximum outrage and obstruction.

That's definitely in there, too.

Apparently Dick Cheney said we should subpoena Hillary over Benghazi. Open those bloodgates, Cheney; you have alot to answer for yourself.

Let's not forget that without Benghazi, the entire Libya narrative would be Obama helping bring down Quaddaffi, arguably a victory against terrorism on par with bringing down Osama. So denying Obama that narrative is also a goal.

Also prevents comparisons between our intervention in Libya and our intervention in Iraq.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

McDowell posted:

Apparently Dick Cheney said we should subpoena Hillary over Benghazi. Open those bloodgates, Cheney; you have alot to answer for yourself.

It's amazing that Cheney wants to throw away all the hard work the Bush/Cheney administration did, when they worked so hard to make the case that executive privilege overrides both Congress' and the public's right to ask questions. :v:

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I love this whole idea that the left wing media won't cover Benghazi and is otherwise complicit in some sort of cover up, as if there's a shortage and an overall dearth of journalists hungry for fame and fortune who wouldn't love to become the next Woodward and/or Bernstein.
In the political cartoons thread, we've been just as confused by this whole ordeal. Then a genuine rightwing idiot dropped by to explain what his side sees going on with Benghazi.

Lemming posted:

I think the narrative they're trying to push is that they [...] tried to intentionally hide the fact that it was a terrorist attack, I assume because they figure he wouldn't want to have an attack like that on his record for the election, so they say he pushed the "it was a video" line to try to keep a cleaner reputation.

AlternateAccount posted:

This is the correct answer. The military response/non-response is not the issue. The intentional massaging of the statements to completely cut all references to it being a terrorist attack and instead scapegoating this dumbass video is. It's a big flashing red light pointing out that foreign policy is currently an absolute joke and having an actual bona fide terrorist attack go off right before an election with a Clinton as SoS wasn't something they wanted to put up with.

It's okay, they're doing an off-the-record briefing with select reporters now. Can't quote the briefers though, but hey, transparency, right?. It's lame that the press is willing to participate in such a thing given the issue.
He then posts a bunch of youtube clips of Susan Rice saying stuff.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Really? Like what does it matter at all what Susan Rice said?

AlternateAccount posted:

Because she's the Ambassador, a representative of the administration and received her statements from higher up in the State Department, namely Secretary Clinton? Seriously?
So there you go. The coverup is about Hillary Clinton not wanting to deal with hard issues and being incompetent. That's what they're trying to prove.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

XyloJW posted:

So there you go. The coverup is about Hillary Clinton not wanting to deal with hard issues and being incompetent. That's what they're trying to prove.

Well I think you have something there. But it's mostly just to keep in practice for when something even worse happens so they'll have the whole machine in place to capitalize on the next national tragedy.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Channel surfed onto Fox News and there was a map of the Mediterranean showing US military force deployments in Europe. I had no idea that we had super sonic transport aircraft capable of inserting special forces into a city within 15 minutes of notification from a base in southern Italy, but according to the armchair generals at Fox News we do! :monocle:

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Crasscrab posted:

Channel surfed onto Fox News and there was a map of the Mediterranean showing US military force deployments in Europe. I had no idea that we had super sonic transport aircraft capable of inserting special forces into a city within 15 minutes of notification from a base in southern Italy, but according to the armchair generals at Fox News we do! :monocle:

They really do have an insanely naive idea of what the military is capable of. Parachuting six guys into an urban warzone with no intel, no support, and no idea who they're fighting or why would be a great way to rack up the American body count even more.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

BiggerBoat posted:

loving NPR of all places (Diane Rehm) covered it for over an hour today so all these assholes screaming about a "liberal media cover up" should shut the gently caress up. The whining and victimization stuff is annoying as hell. Man this poo poo gets old.

It's not stopping there, Issa is on MtP this morning and FoxNewsSunday wouldn't shut up about it. Well, they made a point to freak out about the IRS as well, of course.

edit

Holy crap, gently caress Darrell Issa. Has he been investigating "scandals" the entire time Obama has been in office?

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 12, 2013

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sir Tonk posted:

It's not stopping there, Issa is on MtP this morning and FoxNewsSunday wouldn't shut up about it. Well, they made a point to freak out about the IRS as well, of course.

edit

Holy crap, gently caress Darrell Issa. Has he been investigating "scandals" the entire time Obama has been in office?

He's in a safe republican seat, hates the president, and doesn't have a southern accent. He was pretty much born for the job.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Wow, read the comments to any Benghazi article linked by drudge and you would expect Obama to be impeached on Monday:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2013/05/benghazi-cia-talking-point-edits-white-house.html?mobify=0

quote:

This is what really happened at Benghazi as told by a White House aide:

"On that day Obama arrived at the White House at 5:40 pm and was met by several Generals and Cabinet members.
They told him our Embassy in Benghazi was being attacked & showed him the desperate requests for help by Ambassador Stevens and other Embassy personnel.

Calmly Obama went to the Situation Room with them sat down and saw the attack in real time; a drone was feeding the White House with real time video of the Benghazi attack.

When AlQaida started using RPG's the Ambassador made his last request for help. General Ham handed the note to Obama and said He could sent in the Marines.....Obama face became purple with anger and shouted :"Stand down General...Stand down" ...There was silence in the room, the military were astounded at Obama's treasonous lack of action to save Americans in peril.
Minutes after the Ambassador was captured, raped and killed, the rest of the Americans were also raped and killed but one was beheaded by the furious AlQaida mob..

When the attack was over and the Ambassador was being dragged on the streets ....Obama calmly got up, smiled, left the room and went to bed. It was almost 3 am.

The next day Obama jumped on Air Force 1 and left for Vegas to party with Beyonce and Jay-Z"

America was in mourning, sad and humiliated

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And that white house aide... WAS ALBERT EINSTEIN

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Typical Pubbie posted:

They really do have an insanely naive idea of what the military is capable of. Parachuting six guys into an urban warzone with no intel, no support, and no idea who they're fighting or why would be a great way to rack up the American body count even more.

Tom Clancy himself would call their ideas far-fetched. Place their ideas in a video game and even dumb kids who love Call Of Duty would find it a totally unrealistic mission.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Jesus, in the old election thread I tried to come up with the most overblown, kitschy take on Benghazi that I could imagine. It's now tame compared to the Official Narrative.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

I haven't clicked on this thread in months and I'm genuinely stunned that Benghazi is still being discussed.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
At this point it needs it's own thread because reading through about 5 different threads is getting absurd.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Conservative "Comedian" and host of Tough Crowder segment on Cavuto has released two videos that practically say the same thing:

Where is the media on Benghazi?(I will ask a bunch of college students about it )Warning: near the end of video they decide to flash a picture of Hillary with a loud scream sound effect ( Get it guys...she's ugly)

Where is the media on the trial of Kermit Gosnell (I will ask a bunch of college students about it)

If 8 college students don't know about it = media is failing. He has done this with many videos to prove how conservatives have knowledge and democrats are ignorant and uninformed.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 12, 2013

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

If 8 college students don't know about it = media is failing. He has done this with many videos to prove how conservatives have knowledge and democrats are ignorant and uninformed.

I'm sure if he encountered someone who was familiar with the subject and called out his bullshit he would totally put it in the final cut.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Over the last week, I caught some Hannity in the background. I was very surprised to hear some discussion of what was said at the hearings, rather than discussions about how only Fox is discussing the hearings. Huh.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

eggyolk posted:

I haven't clicked on this thread in months and I'm genuinely stunned that Benghazi is still being discussed.

Every Sunday morning talk show covered it in depth today. As in, they let people like Issa and McCain go on and on without challenging them very much.

They were also focusing on the huge number of revisions the talking points received. A normal person would think that would be a very routine thing, at that level of government, but hey they're working with what they have here people.

I'm definitely curious to see if the GOP leadership can keep the crazies from turning this into a perceived negative for them and more of a mild scandal poisoning Hillary. If Inhofe keeps running his mouth about Iran/Contra, I don't think they can.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zeroisanumber posted:

He's in a safe republican seat, hates the president, and doesn't have a southern accent. He was pretty much born for the job.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7VW0v7wwfkQ

Here is Issa crying after Shwartzenegger declared his candidacy for California governor. Issa spent millions on getting a recall started and figured he was a shoe in for governor until Mr. Mom showed him up. Every time you want to strangle Issa, just watch this. You will feel your heart glow.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Zeroisanumber posted:

He is also an admitted thief.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I feel like all the worst and best Congresspeople come out of Ohio. Why the hell is this.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Goddamnit seeing Sean Smith's mother played like a fiddle by the Republicans today makes me violently, physically ill.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
No one forced her onto those shows.

I sympathize with her, she lost a son. That doesn't make it okay to willingly become a touchstone for the lunatic fringe of the Republican party.

If I died as Vilerat / Sean Smith died, I would hope my mother and father wouldn't go batshit crazy. And for a study in a parent losing a child and becoming political active in a way that's not insane, look at Cindy Sheehan. Granted, some thought she was a little nuts, but I don't recall her doing things quite the same way as Smith has. I could be wrong, though.

Either way, we're in a position to know how Sean Smith would have felt about what his mother is doing. She's dishonoring her son's memory and it's shameful.

Walter fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 12, 2013

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
If you feel sorry for Vilerat's mom now, wait until the GOP has moved onto the next story that it tries to turn into a scandal and she is completely forgotten. Keep in mind that she isn't going to move on from this like the GOP will as soon as something new pops up in the 24 hour news cycle.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

In this video they do one of the most disingenuous things I've seen, out of this whole thing. He talks about the coverup as being "a scandal that cost the lives of 4 Americans." They're all over the place and trying to make it sound like Obama's trying to cover up the fact that he personally caused the deaths of these guys.

I honestly have to applaud the conservative media for the way they manipulate language like that and have been able to drag this on for so long.

That having been said, gently caress them, they obviously have nothing.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Anecdotal: I know a woman whose B-list son died in unpleasant circumstances. Self-inflicted gunshot wound to the heart combined with a long history of self-destructive behavior. She spent years trying to prove that he'd been murdered--she'd become convinced of that after reading one of the celebrity gossip rags they sell in supermarkets. When the police closed the case, she hired a PI, who apparently had enough principle to drop her case or whatever. She went through a series of increasingly-dodgy investigators before resorting to psychics and ghost-whisperers. Now she just drinks waaaay too much wine and goes in for whatever new-agey crystal-healing stuff is in vogue at any given time. And even getting to that level of relative sanity took her years.

Public scrutiny couldn't make that situation any better, so I worry for Ms. Smith. She might have gone a little loopy on her own but the media frenzy surrounding things is only gonna make it worse. And until she gets too crazy and the media drops her, she doesn't have any real chance of recovery.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

nm posted:

He is also an admitted thief.

And arsonist, hasn't hurt him yet.

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011

Hey look it's my two favourite things in the world, bullshit made-up right-wing talking points and screamer videos.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tatum Girlparts posted:

And arsonist, hasn't hurt him yet.

His district would elect a literal piece of poo poo with an (R) next to its name v. Jesus Christ with a (D). Nationally, it would go over worse.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

nm posted:

His district would elect a literal piece of poo poo with an (R) next to its name v. Jesus Christ with a (D). Nationally, it would go over worse.

Orange County/northern San Diego County for you :911:

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

nm posted:

To be fair, that's because the Right fully understands and accepts that we have a two party system in this country. They embrace the game, vote (R) across the board at the polling booth, and demand the candidates they want in the primaries. Not surprisingly, they get their way in Washington more often than not. Their godheads in the media are a near perfect extension of this practice. If only the Left would do the same...

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I don't know what they're trying to do with that video? Is it supposed to be like the Jimmy Kimmel Coachella one where they're saying, "Heh look how DUMB these sheeple are."

But it kinda has the reverse effect because yeah guys, no one actually gives a poo poo about this non-issue.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Typical Pubbie posted:

To be fair, that's because the Right fully understands and accepts that we have a two party system in this country. They embrace the game, vote (R) across the board at the polling booth, and demand the candidates they want in the primaries. Not surprisingly, they get their way in Washington more often than not. Their godheads in the media are a near perfect extension of this practice. If only the Left would do the same...

To be fair what ultra rich sponsors are going to bankroll a platform of economic plans based around public good and not short term massive cashouts for a select few?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I wouldn't mind seeing a new Benghazi or resurrected Benghazi thread. For all the talking points floating around, I still don't see what the Obama administration did wrong other than calling it terrorism fast enough.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If only Obama hadn't waited until 9am to call it an act of terror, we wouldn't have conservative douchebags whining about a non issue.

Maybe Obama should have taken a page out of the Romney book and been a smarmy rear end in a top hat. That seemed to work out well for president Romney.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It really was a stupid loving move to send Rice on the morning shows while intelligence was still developing though. And to ever fixate on that tape in the first place. Should have just focused in the media entirely on "who did it".

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
This Benghazi thing is definitely worse than the time the US government sat on faulty intelligence for 2 years before deciding to use it in an attempt to bolster the invasion of Iraq by claiming in the State of the Union Address that they were seeking large quantities of enriched weapons grade uranium. And then when an op-ed piece was published criticizing the intelligence, the administration leaked to another columnist that the op-ed's author was a CIA agent.

This thing where State Department career employees didn't want to include references to Al Qaeda because it would complicate their jobs during the heated political climate of the election is way worse.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

Plus he's super rich. Estimated worth is $220 million.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
So, let me get this straight...

Obama hates all Americans so much that he personally called up some Islamic mob to burn down a consulate so he can salivate over 4 people getting murdered, and there was 2 Navy Seals there holding off the mob for 7 hours, but were overwhelmed when the President overrode all of his generals that had forces in the area, just so he could kill more Americans.

Is that what the right wing-o-verse is literally putting out? This poorly written bullshit is the best they can do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

TwoQuestions posted:

So, let me get this straight...

Obama hates all Americans so much that he personally called up some Islamic mob to burn down a consulate so he can salivate over 4 people getting murdered, and there was 2 Navy Seals there holding off the mob for 7 hours, but were overwhelmed when the President overrode all of his generals that had forces in the area, just so he could kill more Americans.

Is that what the right wing-o-verse is literally putting out? This poorly written bullshit is the best they can do?

Don't forget the cargoplanes (ok ok, they meant AC-130s) that were totally stationed in the area and ready to go....a year before for the Libyan revolution. They probably have been sitting there idle since, I'm sure.

Or the F16s in Italy that could afterburn all the way down to Libya and not run out of gas while providing CAS in a residential area.

Or the 4 man team in Tripoli that could have HALO jumped on surfboards down. If 2 ex-seals held off platoons by themselves for hours, 6 probably could have leveled the city!