Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DamnGlitch posted:

The comedy bits wouldn't be nearly as funny without the serious side.

I really liked the first season, even if the last arc dragged :gonzo: :Gonzo: :Gonzo:

Actually, truth be told, it's the only season of FMP I've watched. I've heard such good things about fumafu, but then there's that loving bear thing on the cover art and I can't imagine giving a gently caress, and because of that I never checked out the second season.
You don't have to watch Fumoffu to watch The Second Raid, there's pretty much no plot in Fumoffu.

Wark Say posted:

Tonight, I'll start watching LoGH... however, since I'm pretty much just going to watch that for the rest of the year on Fridays, I need a further recommendation for the weekends: Can you recommend me something creepy to read or watch?

Now, when I say creepy, I say in a sense of something akin to Horror or Thriller, not like... you know, skeevy :pedo: bullshit or anything of the sort. Something that makes you cringe because you can't help but to get this feeling of complete helplessness when watching the characters. Like what the Silent Hill series had going for it on the original tetralogy or Shiki on its more :suspense: moments.
Higurashi, probably :effort: I don't supposed you'd be up for the much better Sound Novel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

ViggyNash posted:

What are you talking about? The majority of it is fantastic. Hell, the music was good enough to sometimes distract me during the show itself.

This seems to be an uncommon opinion, but I found the F/Z soundtrack... too Kajiura? There was a lot of dramatic chanting, sweeping violins and all that, but I never felt like it found its own character like Noir or Kara no Kyoukai did, it was just everything I would call Kajiura piled together.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The higurashi anime is actually pretty good, really good, if you absolutely ignore the ovas (they are totally original to deen and horrid).

52ish eps of some hosed up stuff. It's good.

As stated above the vn is a better vector for the story but it has poo poo awful art and is so so so very long. Which is great if you are into reading but the anime is very entertaining on its own, and without knowing about what happens in the vn doesn't feel like its lacking.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 11, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
And that makes it lesser for it? Whether or not the soundtrack really defined the show or gave it character is not relevant to it's quality. The music by itself is fantastic, and that's what matters. The music almost always fit the moment or scene and sometimes really helped define it, though I will admit that overall the soundtrack lacked something to set it apart. But like I said, it's still great music.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wark Say posted:

Tonight, I'll start watching LoGH... however, since I'm pretty much just going to watch that for the rest of the year on Fridays, I need a further recommendation for the weekends: Can you recommend me something creepy to read or watch?

Now, when I say creepy, I say in a sense of something akin to Horror or Thriller, not like... you know, skeevy :pedo: bullshit or anything of the sort. Something that makes you cringe because you can't help but to get this feeling of complete helplessness when watching the characters. Like what the Silent Hill series had going for it on the original tetralogy or Shiki on its more :suspense: moments.
Read Uzumaki by Junji Ito. Or anything by Junji Ito, really. Soil is also a good creepy series.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

ViggyNash posted:

I guess a high school boy is close enough to a deer.

I'll definitely check out FMP.
e: Thanks for recommending FMP. It's definitely not the best out there Let's be frank, it's absolutely terrible when it's trying to be serious, but hell if it isn't entertaining. But that female general(?) is so shamefully and overtly moe I can barely deal with it. Thankfully she isn't that big a part of the show.

Side question: Where might a buy a digital copy of all of the Fate/Zero music?

The first season of Full Metal Panic is just sloppy. There's a few really bad arcs in particular. But of course, Fumoffu is fantastic (comedy) and The Second Raid is good. Gonzo just didn't do a good job with season 1, but Kyoto Animation did a great job with the material.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Oh, wow. I don't think they could have ended FMP? Fumoffu any better.

Do you guys have anything similar to suggest? I'm done with Nichijou, Nichibros, and this. Also the Haruhi shorts, if that counts.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hidamari sketch maybe? Less goofy than those though. Or the first season of Minami-ke. Squid Girl is good too.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It's been a while, but I recall Excel Saga being pretty funny.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DamnGlitch posted:

As stated above the vn is a better vector for the story but it has poo poo awful art and is so so so very long. Which is great if you are into reading but the anime is very entertaining on its own, and without knowing about what happens in the vn doesn't feel like its lacking.
There are patches to use the PS2 character art in the game, which are obviously recommended.

I liked the anime well enough when it aired but I can't honestly in good faith recommend it over the sound novel at this point.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

There are patches to use the PS2 character art in the game, which are obviously recommended.

I liked the anime well enough when it aired but I can't honestly in good faith recommend it over the sound novel at this point.

Oh I know. You know I know, it's just as a path to entry the anime is far far easier to obtain and get into than the VN.

So I think the anime is a great recommendation, with the caveat that yeah, if you can get past it not being animated the VN is a better execution.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Are there any other suave, stylistic heist shows like Lupin the Third? I'm watching the 2012 one right now and it is fantastic.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
At the rate you're going there won't be any animes left for you to watch in a few weeks.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

When you're done with the other 45 years of Lupin III you could try Cat's Eye. It's about three sister thieves based on a manga by Tsukasa Hojo the guy behind City Hunter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LpFar3U_9A

It's 80s as hell, also animated by TMS like Lupin.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 11, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

At the rate you're going there won't be any animes left for you to watch in a few weeks.

I burn through animes like chocolate covered almonds.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

I burn through animes like chocolate covered almonds.

Slow down Otacon

(Legend of the Galactic Heroes)

doritto
May 12, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

The higurashi anime is actually pretty good, really good, if you absolutely ignore the ovas (they are totally original to deen and horrid).

52ish eps of some hosed up stuff. It's good.

I absolutely agree, Higurashi really does manage to keep a mystery, and a sense of suprise throughout the majority of the show, as well as having the creepy, off putting feeling for all of the show.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You guys are jerks. Awesome jerks, though. Thanks for the effective recommendations. Higurashi seems right up my alley after wolfing down the 2 LOGH movies. :tviv: it was just 2 movies, and I'm already hooked on this goddamn series. 108 episodes to go!

Goddammit, I don't want to marathon either series. I want to enjoy the slow burn that comes from enjoying it slowly, like... a good dessert?

doritto
May 12, 2013

Wark Say posted:

You guys are jerks. Awesome jerks, though. Thanks for the effective recommendations. Higurashi seems right up my alley after wolfing down the 2 LOGH movies. :tviv: it was just 2 movies, and I'm already hooked on this goddamn series. 108 episodes to go!

Goddammit, I don't want to marathon either series. I want to enjoy the slow burn that comes from enjoying it slowly, like... a good dessert?

It's so hard for me not to marathon series. I tell myself I'm going to slowly enjoy it, but I always just burn through it like a crack head.

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

Even Diablo has a soft side
Oh my goodness you all need to watch Shingeki No Kyojin (Attack on Titan). It's amazing!

LunaSky fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 12, 2013

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I just finished rewatching Eureka Seven, and I'm in the mood for something in the same vein. What I really enjoyed about it was the great character writing/development, the unique setting, and the eventual breadth and scope of the plot, so something which is similar in those respects would be great.

I've also seen most shows that are recent and fairly popular, so something somewhat older or that flew under the radar would be best, although feel free to recommend popular shows that may have slipped by me.

Manga's fine too.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Is there anything else, old or new, that captures the same kind of feel as Berserk? The closest I've ever found was Claymore, minus the dumb anime ending.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Cake Attack posted:

I just finished rewatching Eureka Seven, and I'm in the mood for something in the same vein. What I really enjoyed about it was the great character writing/development, the unique setting, and the eventual breadth and scope of the plot

I'm just gonna throw out Vision of Escaflowne.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Redcrimson posted:

I'm just gonna throw out Vision of Escaflowne.

Sadly I've already seen it, although it was a long time ago.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think that's going to be a hard one, since E7 having all of those qualities was what made it stand out. For manga the first thing that sprang to mind was Satoshi Mizukami, but I know you've read some of those.

A couple of shots in the dark:

Yumekui Merry: The setting is kind of shounen, but I really liked the characters in this.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor: Older and perhaps not too original in its setting, but again the characters are great and the scope does pan out to be pretty big.

Kurau Phantom Memory: A lesser known BONES show that I think is pretty underated/underwatched.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I think that's going to be a hard one, since E7 having all of those qualities was what made it stand out. For manga the first thing that sprang to mind was Satoshi Mizukami, but I know you've read some of those.

A couple of shots in the dark:

Yumekui Merry: The setting is kind of shounen, but I really liked the characters in this.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor: Older and perhaps not too original in its setting, but again the characters are great and the scope does pan out to be pretty big.

Kurau Phantom Memory: A lesser known BONES show that I think is pretty underated/underwatched.

Yeah, I do realize my request is kind of a tall order, Eureka Seven is my favorite anime and so I don't expect to find something as good.

The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer would have been a nearly perfect recommendation, except I've unfortunately already read it.

I'll check out the rest though. I have seen a little of Yumekui and Captain Tylor, but got sidetracked by other things.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yumekui is a manga, though I think they did make an anime for it at some point.

Another one that just came to mind was the manga version of Houshin Engi. Pretty good cast, unique setting, enormous scope.

E: Found out myself, nevermind

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 12, 2013

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Read Yumekui rather than watch it. The anime is pretty mediocre, and diverges from the manga in some ways straight from the beginning.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Blhue posted:

Read Yumekui rather than watch it. The anime is pretty mediocre, and diverges from the manga in some ways straight from the beginning.
It does do atmospherics pretty well, though, especially with the music.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Fenrir posted:

Is there anything else, old or new, that captures the same kind of feel as Berserk? The closest I've ever found was Claymore, minus the dumb anime ending.

If manga's okay, then Shin Angyo Onshi.

Blhue posted:

Alright, I generally prefer to read the manga for adaptations anyway, so I'll do that.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Fenrir posted:

It's not anime but Berserk draws heavily from Robert E Howard's Conan stories. Del Rey has three massive collections out and you can find all of it on Project Gutenburg Australia.

But as far as anime goes I say Berserk is pretty unique. There was a ton of "dark" medieval fantasy OVA's in the 80s and early 90s but they were all giant pauldrons and jrpg writing. The Heroic Legend of Arslan comes close but it never steps off that edge that Berserk does and the two main characters are world's apart in characterization and look.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I bought a subscription to Crunchyroll to watch Attack on Titan and HxH. What other ongoing anime are good?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

I bought a subscription to Crunchyroll to watch Attack on Titan and HxH. What other ongoing anime are good?

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet, and Hataraku Maou-sama!.

e: Hataraku is funimation though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's in its second season, but don't forget Chihayafuru.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

KittyEmpress posted:

I completely adore Flowers of Evil but it's definitely not what you'd exspect. Valvrave the Liberator is the most fun you can have watching anime but man I wouldn't really call it good.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

KittyEmpress posted:

Space Brothers, Flowers of Evil, Chihayafuru.

Pulpie
Sep 10, 2011
So I'm starting to get back into anime after a long 5 year hiatus. I watched a half dozen different series's to get a footing on what I might like and of them I probably liked Monster the best, even if it was 30 episodes too long. So is Master Keaton worth looking into?

Also, Gantz was awful.

Pulpie fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 14, 2013

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Pulpie posted:

Also, Gantz was awful.

Well duh.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Pulpie posted:

So I'm starting to get back into anime after a long 5 year hiatus. I watched a half dozen different series's to get a footing on what I might like and of them I probably liked Monster the best, even if it was 30 episodes too long. So is Master Keaton worth looking into?
Master Keaton is great, although it isn't much like Monster in tone. There are superficial similarities - traveling problem solver, lots of (European) countries visited, art style, an appreciation of modern history, and intelligent adult protagonists.

I adore both series.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
If I want to get into Gundam, where should I start?

• Locked thread