Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
i want to do more iOS dev but i don't have a mac which is kinda annoying b/c im obvs not gonna get a mini when i can get a rMBP for twice the price.

how much worse is xamarin than native iOS stuff b/c im a massive big gay c# baby and xamarin seems nice to use from their tutorials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

uG posted:

lol if your works don't pay for your software tools

paying for 'software tools' is different because im assuming ur talking about things that are actually more useful than free software alternatives. we are talking about sublime text here, a thing that is worse than vim.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i strongly dislike the use of var in c# because i once came across a project that exclusively used var and in trying to read it i almost died because it was pointlessly hard to read and using intellisense to figure out what every loving method returned so i could have some idea of what the hell was going on in this program was pointlessly inconvenient

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Bloody posted:

i strongly dislike the use of var in c# because i once came across a project that exclusively used var and in trying to read it i almost died because it was pointlessly hard to read and using intellisense to figure out what every loving method returned so i could have some idea of what the hell was going on in this program was pointlessly inconvenient

sounds like the hubris of a lovely programmer. you've come to the right place.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Bloody posted:

yeah but on the other side if you changed any of those types most of the code would just work b/c it's using implicit typing

also

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

sounds like the hubris of a lovely programmer. you've come to the right place.

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

var domainContext = new DirectoryContext(DirectoryContextType.Domain, ntdomain);

WHAT THE gently caress DOES THIS MEAN WHAT DOES IT RETURN?!?!?!

I QUIT

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

hover over with intellisense bitch

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

polpotpi posted:

var domainContext = new DirectoryContext(DirectoryContextType.Domain, ntdomain);

WHAT THE gently caress DOES THIS MEAN WHAT DOES IT RETURN?!?!?!

I QUIT

var x = res.FirstOrDefault(r => r.isFoo())

did i mention it was bad code

also is the trivial difference in letters really that useful

oh no i have to change the type completely but i mysteriously only have to change one word and not any other part of the program

unless you're advocating using 'var' instead of 'int' or 'double' in which case lol its difficult to change 'int' to 'double' or vice-versa

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
if you know what the function does but dont know what it returns then lol. rtfm

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

yeah this is the whole point of intellisense. that also f12 if you're really stuck or retarded or more likely the original author was retarded

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

if you're really stuck or retarded or more likely the original author was retarded

why not...

both !?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

yeah this is the whole point of intellisense. that also f12 if you're really stuck or retarded or more likely the original author was retarded
well its in c# so everyone involved was probably retarded

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

c# is a wonderful language with by far the best tools for it

i sincerely urge you to write a c#, but not today. call your mother today or something.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

some person did some very scientific research (i ignored that bit it was boring) and apparently c# devs write the best code or some poo poo

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

i didn't find that but i found this instead which is good too

C/C++ [edit]
  • "Tsk, tsk," said the Hatter, "what a mess you've made."
    "It is perfectly fine," replied Alice calmly. "I will leave it for the garbage collection service to recover."
    "Don't expect any garbage collection here. Furthermore, your polymorphic variables won't ever be properly deleted, because you haven't declared your destructor to be virtual."
    "My what to be what?" said Alice, starting to get worried.
    "Declare your destructor. You must have a destructor. Everything that is constructed should be destroyed; it's only natural. Furthermore, if you are ever not quite what you seem, you should declare yourself to be virtual."
    "A rule to remember!" roared the Red Queen. "Never make a mess without cleaning it up first."
    "You can ignore her," whispered the Dormouse, picking up the tea cake Alice had just set aside, "but you shouldn't cast away const so lightly."
    Alice began to feel that this new world she found herself in was not quite the same as the cozy sitting room she had just left.
    Timothy Budd (C++ for Java Programmers)

• I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind.
    Alan Kay [1]

• What you see is all you get.
    Brian Kernighan [citation needed]

• There are only two things wrong with C++: The initial concept and the implementation.
    Bertrand Meyer [citation needed]

• Fifty years of programming language research, and we end up with C++?
    Richard O'Keefe [citation needed]

• A C program is like a fast dance on a newly waxed dance floor by people carrying razors.
    Waldi Ravens [citation needed]

• The evolution of languages: FORTRAN is a non-typed language. C is a weakly typed language. Ada is a strongly typed language. C++ is a strongly hyped language.
    Ron Sercely [citation needed]

• Within C++, there is a much smaller and cleaner language struggling to get out.
    Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++

• In C++ it's harder to shoot yourself in the foot, but when you do, you blow off your whole leg.
    Bjarne Stroustrup Stroustrups FAQ

• C++: an octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog.
    Steve Taylor [citation needed]

• C provides a programmer with more than enough rope to hang himself. C++ provides a firing squad, blindfold and last cigarette.
    dandelion in talk.origins (see here)

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL if having everything be an anonymous type is considered good code in C#. B-b-but I saved myself a split second of typing, who cares about readability!

Of course, this is a Microsoft language, so of course C# devs think it's a good idea to put the class type in all methods and variable names.

Hellsworn Barn
Apr 11, 2008

hi

chumpchous posted:

Jquery is p easy it's the functions nested within functions nested within functions from js that I don't really get

stop whatever you're doing and go read up on closures.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Doc Block posted:

LOL if having everything be an anonymous type is considered good code in C#.

C# devs think it's a good idea to put the class type in all methods and variable names.

neither of these things are true but please tell me more

Hellsworn Barn
Apr 11, 2008

hi

Doc Block posted:

LOL if having everything be an anonymous type is considered good code in C#. B-b-but I saved myself a split second of typing, who cares about readability!

Of course, this is a Microsoft language, so of course C# devs think it's a good idea to put the class type in all methods and variable names.

i like var and make a point of using it everywhere and updating existing code to use it in favor of explicitly typed local variables.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

neither of these things are true but please tell me more

How are you not essentially putting the class type in method, property, and variable names if instead of, say,
CloudSyncUpdate fileUpdate = whatever
fileUpdate.fetchLatestUpdate()

you have to do

var fileUpdate = whatever
fileUpdate.fetchLatestCloudSyncUpdate()

to keep it readable? Or, so that you can still tell what fileUpdate is:

var cloudSyncUpdate = whatever
cloudSyncUpdate.fetchLatestCloudSyncUpdate()

to keep it readable?

Because if you're designing your API with var usage in mind, having methods just named stuff like fetchUpdate isn't very descriptive.

Disclaimer: I've only dabbled with C#, and it was a long time ago.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 12, 2013

Hellsworn Barn
Apr 11, 2008

hi
this is a dumb argument

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

i didn't find that but i found this instead which is good too

C/C++ [edit]
  • "Tsk, tsk," said the Hatter, "what a mess you've made."
    "It is perfectly fine," replied Alice calmly. "I will leave it for the garbage collection service to recover."
    "Don't expect any garbage collection here. Furthermore, your polymorphic variables won't ever be properly deleted, because you haven't declared your destructor to be virtual."
    "My what to be what?" said Alice, starting to get worried.
    "Declare your destructor. You must have a destructor. Everything that is constructed should be destroyed; it's only natural. Furthermore, if you are ever not quite what you seem, you should declare yourself to be virtual."
    "A rule to remember!" roared the Red Queen. "Never make a mess without cleaning it up first."
    "You can ignore her," whispered the Dormouse, picking up the tea cake Alice had just set aside, "but you shouldn't cast away const so lightly."
    Alice began to feel that this new world she found herself in was not quite the same as the cozy sitting room she had just left.
    Timothy Budd (C++ for Java Programmers)

• I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind.
    Alan Kay [1]

• What you see is all you get.
    Brian Kernighan [citation needed]

• There are only two things wrong with C++: The initial concept and the implementation.
    Bertrand Meyer [citation needed]

• Fifty years of programming language research, and we end up with C++?
    Richard O'Keefe [citation needed]

• A C program is like a fast dance on a newly waxed dance floor by people carrying razors.
    Waldi Ravens [citation needed]

• The evolution of languages: FORTRAN is a non-typed language. C is a weakly typed language. Ada is a strongly typed language. C++ is a strongly hyped language.
    Ron Sercely [citation needed]

• Within C++, there is a much smaller and cleaner language struggling to get out.
    Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++

• In C++ it's harder to shoot yourself in the foot, but when you do, you blow off your whole leg.
    Bjarne Stroustrup Stroustrups FAQ

• C++: an octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog.
    Steve Taylor [citation needed]

• C provides a programmer with more than enough rope to hang himself. C++ provides a firing squad, blindfold and last cigarette.
    dandelion in talk.origins (see here)

don't post shaggar's fanfics

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Doc Block posted:

Disclaimer: I've only dabbled with C#, and it was a long time ago.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/ff926074.aspx

this is what you are looking for hth

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Hellsworn Barn posted:

this is a dumb argument

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

that document seems to recommend only sometimes using var, and using explicit variable typing in cases where the type might not be obvious from context

I guess that means the truth was

somewhere in the middle????

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i dont like using 'auto' in c++ except when its long-winded + boilerplate stuff like declaring an iterator

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
std::vector<std::unique_ptr<myns::my_dumb_type<std::uint16_t>>>::reverse_iterator it;

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
auto owns

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

that document seems to recommend only sometimes using var, and using explicit variable typing in cases where the type might not be obvious from context

I guess that means the truth was

somewhere in the middle????

i will allow this

i sortof forgot that things in linq queries have to be typed which is pretty annoying i suppose so i support using var there for sure

but seriously all my real code these days is C++ please release me from this mortal coil of suffering

i just want to write some scala

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

nice racism fucko

jokes on u bitch coz I went to the vim website to see what it was all about and that was on the frot page!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AhahahahahahahahahAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA gently caress U!!!!!! gently caress!!!!!!AHAHAHAHAHAHA LOLOLLLO

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
yo here's a thing if you want to learn vim and graduate to a better level of coding

http://vim-adventures.com/

don't forget to buy a license

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
The easiest way to learn vim is to learn enough to move around, insert, and delete. Then whenever something annoys you assume there is a better way and google for it.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
b-b-but gamification!!!!!!

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

i have a license

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
does vimtutor have achievements yet?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i want to put some run-time configuration-type information into an app.config file (this is c#). do they document the kind of xml formatting you need to use anywhere?

like, do you use tags or attributes?

edit: i'm an idiot and of course i found it as soon as i pinched off a post about it :downs:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if intellisense wasnt garbage people would never use var.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

prefect posted:

i want to put some run-time configuration-type information into an app.config file (this is c#). do they document the kind of xml formatting you need to use anywhere?

like, do you use tags or attributes?

edit: i'm an idiot and of course i found it as soon as i pinched off a post about it :downs:

c#'s configuration manager is bad rear end. if you're just looking to do simple name value pair stuff you can use the default appSettings section, but if you want to get fancy you can write your own extended config sections w/ custom config managers.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

c#'s configuration manager is bad rear end. if you're just looking to do simple name value pair stuff you can use the default appSettings section, but if you want to get fancy you can write your own extended config sections w/ custom config managers.

yeah, i'm doing a section that's name-value pairs, but it now looks like i'll need a second section where it's a list of patterns that i have to match the computer name against :barf:

i still think in terms of perl, so i want everything to be a hash with nice key lookups :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Doc Block posted:

var is one of the few dumb mistakes that snuck into c# from p-langs. the most glaring of these mistakes is no checked exceptions.

• Locked thread