Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
When I test drove mine back in September of last year and the car was still impossible to find, the dealer didn't seem to care if I wanted to buy it or not.

Which was a good attitude, considering I ended up buying it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
I was able to test drive an FR-S without too much trouble but due to the salesman's story about roasting the tires of an STI trade-in and his insistence I get the car sideways I elected to put a deposit down on a BRZ which hadn't even arrived at the local Subaru dealership yet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Want to see what it takes to write-off a 3000km FRS?

Just for future refrence, the vin is JF1ZNAA1XD1716237 and it's listed as frame damage. I'm sure it's going to be for sale here in a week listed as "salvage title from minor fender bender"

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Salvage value on that thing is probably pretty high.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Wheres the dam...oh

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
I'm trying to imagine what causes damage like that, but I'm not seeing it. There doesn't seem to be any damage to the sheetmetal. All I see is the rear wheels pushed in like it hit a curb or something?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Hog Obituary posted:

All I see is the rear wheels pushed in like it hella sick drifted into a curb or something?
You were pretty close!

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Hog Obituary posted:

I'm trying to imagine what causes damage like that, but I'm not seeing it. There doesn't seem to be any damage to the sheetmetal. All I see is the rear wheels pushed in like it hit a curb or something?

Thats probably exactly what happened. Surprised thats all it took to total it though.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
The rim and rubber are undamaged, though, and the surrounding sheetmetal is fine. Drifting into a curb would collapse the control arm before frame damage. :10bux: says it was hit from below landed a wicked sick jump bro.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Plus you would damage the rear crossmember before the chassis itself. From looking at it, my best guess would be bent rear LCA, likely bent upright and damaged wheel bearing/hub, possible damage to a few other things.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

jamal posted:

Plus you would damage the rear crossmember before the chassis itself. From looking at it, my best guess would be bent rear LCA, likely bent upright and damaged wheel bearing/hub, possible damage to a few other things.

Aren't all of those things, parts that just bolt in?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
My friend totaled out his slammed car by catching the front subframe on a pothole edge at about 15mph, I wonder if this was a similar situation. Or the owner pretended it was a raptor.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Muffinpox posted:

My friend totaled out his slammed car by catching the front subframe on a pothole edge at about 15mph, I wonder if this was a similar situation. Or the owner pretended it was a 69 Charger.

:colbert:

So what's the word on the wheels and their bolt pattern? I remember initially people were worried that there wouldn't be many (aftermarket) wheels that could actually be used with the car. Is that still the case, or did something (somehow) change?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's the normal Impreza 5x100 bolt pattern so there should be poo poo tons of wheels that fit including the Mach V Awesome and (based on WRXes I've seen) various gash rice wheels.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Muffinpox posted:

My friend totaled out his slammed car by catching the front subframe on a pothole edge at about 15mph, I wonder if this was a similar situation. Or the owner pretended it was a raptor.

There are a good amount of totalled raptors out there from dumbass owners thinking they have a trophy truck.

And even if it was as capable, one that doesnt have to be torn down and rebuilt as often as a trophy truck for some reason...

firehawk
May 23, 2005

Oookkeeee!
Yeah, there's a pretty good selection of wheels for the 86. Here's a very informative thread at the FT86Club with some that are available:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7535

I was unimaginative and went with 17x7.5" Enkei RPF1s, although mostly due to them being reasonably light at a reasonable price. Should be getting them installed later this week.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Dick Burglar posted:

:colbert:

So what's the word on the wheels and their bolt pattern? I remember initially people were worried that there wouldn't be many (aftermarket) wheels that could actually be used with the car. Is that still the case, or did something (somehow) change?

I seem to recall the 5x100 worry being over the wrx hubs sucking compared to the STI hubs, which are 5x114.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah, that would be a legitimate worry. The 5x100 hubs are less burly.

They have a slightly reduced wheel choice but only if you're looking for OEM STI wheels - in the US the 2004 STI is the only 5x100 STI so if you want gold BBS wheels in 5x100 you're stuck with trying to buy that dwindling supply for upwards of $300 a wheel instead of cheapo 5x114.3 STI wheels which are much easier to get ahold of.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah, that would be a legitimate worry. The 5x100 hubs are less burly.

Yet 119k miles on my 02, autocrossed for many years, and I've only had to replace one wheel bearing.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
That Toyobaru has not been jumped. The front lip seems too pristine for Hazzarding to have been the cause of that rear damage.

This Toyobaru however... this one has been jumped.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Takumi nooooooooooooooooo!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The story:
http://beforeitsnews.com/motor-junkies/2013/04/cape-town-man-dies-after-toyota-gt-86-goes-off-cliff-near-koelbaai-2465442.html

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jesus :stare:

I think short of a full roll cage and 5 point harness you'd have a hard time getting out of that wreck alive.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Here's a somewhat reasonable comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jImHTWfj8aM

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

So I got a box in the mail today and in that box was a smaller box...a TRD AIRBOX!

It took me 30 minutes from opening to closing the hood to install it (in a fuddrucker's parking lot no less).

Couple of key notes:
1. The TRD filter is just a rebranded K&N (the instructions recommend using the K&N cleaning kit at 50k miles)
2. The airbox reuses some of the stock rubber grommets but only bolts into two of the factory locations (instead of the stock three). It also sits on a supplied rubber stopper that you install onto the brace that runs behind the radiator.
3. It is surprising how empty the passenger side of the engine bay is once the resonator and sound tube is gone. No space for a turbo my rear end...

I've only got ten or so miles on the new filter so it will take a week or two before the ECU settles down again. But it really does look the way the car should have come stock. It wouldn't surprise me to see a larger airbox in the first model refresh.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Hog Obituary posted:

vidchat

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TUAtomEhkU
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17fo2DT-77U
Part 3 (just posted): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsWHuEUVK3k

I really like this guy's sense of humor. Some of the complaints (bad ECU image, foggy taillights) are now out of date, but I'd prefer a review that leans harsh than one that leans soft. He also has a vid up for installing an HID kit.

firehawk
May 23, 2005

Oookkeeee!

Rabble posted:

1. The TRD filter is just a rebranded K&N (the instructions recommend using the K&N cleaning kit at 50k miles)
Does the filter come pre-oiled or is it a dry filter? The installation instructions have no mention of applying oil to the filter upon installation - only a brief mention of over-oiling in the troubleshooting checklist:

http://trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.com/ProdPDF/FRS-PTR03-18130.pdf

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rabble posted:

I've only got ten or so miles on the new filter so it will take a week or two before the ECU settles down again. But it really does look the way the car should have come stock. It wouldn't surprise me to see a larger airbox in the first model refresh.
How the cabin noise? I'm really close to just plugging off the sound tube, but putting in a better intake is an option. Also, did you have to reset the ECU after installation or are you just expecting to adjust itself?

EDIT: Got the bill for my insurance premium. It actually went down by $27 for six months. (This doesn't matter, though, since I'm moving by the end of the month to somewhere that will increase my premium by around 80% last I checked. Yay.)

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 8, 2013

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
It's a pre oiled filter.

The first step in the instructions is to unplug the battery (ECU reset), you also relocate the MAF to be closer to the engine so the ECU has a lot of learning to do. Anyways I think it sounds great, a lot more natural, quieter at low revs and louder at high revs. I yanked the whole sound tube out and plugged the hole with one of those 7/8ths stoppers.

so far the engine seems to be a lot more eager to rev, but without numbers I can't say Anything that's not subjective. You can probably get the same performance gains out of a drop in, it just won't look as awesome :)

Edit: It seems when I have a stressful day at work I end up ordering parts for my car online. I just bought a Kartboy Lightweight Crank Pulley, I'll put in another update once it comes in and I install it...I think I have a problem, either I need to stop buying parts for my car or I need to find a source of unlimited money.

Rabble fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 9, 2013

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Hog Obituary posted:

Sometimes i want to go out and buy an s2000 because the idea of a convertible is appealing but i dont have a garage to put it in and i really dont want to deal with that whole "my top got slashed and seats stolen" poo poo. Plus my BRZ is supposed to get here in 4 weeks (probably like 8 weeks because the dealer constantly lies to me)

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 11, 2013

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...
After waiting for a few years i finally pulled a trigger on a new car. Picked up the Hot Lava or something other color. 6spd with just the spoiler.

I have already put 400 miles on the car and have only owned it 2 days, every mile has been an absolute BLAST!!! This thread has moved quite a bit in the past 6 months so i have a lot of catching up to do. Anything crucial a new FRS owner should know? (other than not being an idiot in the corners)

Next on the to-do list is probably that TRD intake, Strut bar and i REALLY want some Gunmetal TE-37s or WORK Emotions on this bad boy.

bonzaisushi fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 13, 2013

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Which person is gonna be first in embarking on the MotoIQ upgrade path that nets maybe 25whp for ~$1000? I just want to know if that's a good price point.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bonzaisushi posted:

After waiting for a few years i finally pulled a trigger on a new car. Picked up the Hot Lava or something other color. 6spd with just the spoiler.

I have already put 400 miles on the car and have only owned it 2 days, every mile has been an absolute BLAST!!! This thread has moved quite a bit in the past 6 months so i have a lot of catching up to do. Anything crucial a new FRS owner should know? (other than not being an idiot in the corners)

Next on the to-do list is probably that TRD intake, Strut bar and i REALLY want some Gunmetal TE-37s or WORK Emotions on this bad boy.

God, that is a good looking car and the exact color I have been drooling over. Congrats!

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Can one of you do me a favor and measure the engine width?

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

oxbrain posted:

Can one of you do me a favor and measure the engine width?

from quarter panel to quarter panel right?

well poo poo, i was going to do it for you but i cant find my tape measure. my bad.

bonzaisushi fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 14, 2013

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Like valve cover to valve cover.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
First road trip with the FRS and this thing keeps surprising me. 350 miles a leg, at 36mpg each way (was at 38 on the first half of the way back), which is exactly where the last car was at. And other than that lack-of-lumbar-support support it's a pretty good grand tourer. Maybe my last car was a noisy gently caress, but I don't know what you guys mean by this thing being too loud, it's beautifully quiet when cruising :colbert:

For those of you that have ditched the standard tires, how's that affected your mpg?

firehawk
May 23, 2005

Oookkeeee!
YEEAA RIMZZZ!! No, wait.. gently caress. How am I going to get them all to the tyre shop?

No problem, it seems:

Final result:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Good wheels boss. You need to go lower now :getin:

Also you should have taken them out the box!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Not enough oomph in your Toyobaru? Do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLP-HCcX9as

Sounds pretty good, too.

• Locked thread