Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

I am OK posted:

When the police get bored they do it. Clubs keep getting in trouble in Osaka

They've also been hitting clubs in Tokyo, or at least have hit enough that a lot have to put up 'no dancing' signs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy
Last summer they were being dicks about it and a few places got hit up in roppongi and shibuya, but I haven't heard of anything this year. A month ago I was standing outside Jumanji and like 8 cops appeared and I thought they were gonna bust the place but then they all scattered. I would have loved to see them do a raid. I wonder how polite they are when they do it.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
Sumimasen. Sumimaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen. Sumimaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen.

spankminister
Apr 11, 2012
I realize I never posted back here after successfully planning my Japan trip. Are more detailed trip reports allowed/encouraged? Maybe some of my experiences would help people planning now, but I don't want to get banned for TL;DR.

In any case, thanks to people who posted stuff about Akiba shopping tips as well as Original_Z and everyone who recommended Kanazawa, I had a blast.

mystes
May 31, 2006

spankminister posted:

I realize I never posted back here after successfully planning my Japan trip. Are more detailed trip reports allowed/encouraged? Maybe some of my experiences would help people planning now, but I don't want to get banned for TL;DR.
Surely that's exactly the sort of thing this thread is for? I think it would be very helpful for other people planning trips.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

spankminister posted:

In any case, thanks to people who posted stuff about Akiba shopping tips as well as Original_Z and everyone who recommended Kanazawa, I had a blast.

I am personally disgusted that you dare even proposition writing about your trip to Japan in the Japan tread hosted within the travel subforums :angry:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I am OK posted:

I am personally disgusted that you dare even proposition writing about your trip to Japan in the Japan tread hosted within the travel subforums :angry:

:monocle: That sort of thing just isn't done! And I, for one, will not stand for it!

(Please post it.)

spankminister
Apr 11, 2012
My previous trip to Japan was part of a tour package, which meant swanky hotels but an entirely pre-planned itinerary of touristy sights. I figured my Japanese is still mostly intact from high school/college, so this time I planned the 2-week trip myself, with lots of help from these forums and Tripadvisor. My wife and I went with two good friends who mostly planned their own trip as well (their first time in Japan), with parts of our vacations overlapping.

Tokyo We got a really cheap Mobal rental cellphone to stay in touch and coordinate with our friends during the trip that worked out great. I think incoming calls were free so it's really easy to keep your bill down, and you just have to pick it up/return it to their booth in Narita, so I highly recommend it.

For the first few days, we stayed with some friends in Shiinamachi and happened to see a local festival. The highlight for me was the enormous griddle with a guy making Hiroshima style okonomiyaki with a ton of shredded cabbage, egg, pork belly, and noodles. I'd never seen it before, but okonomiyaki the size of a Chipotle burrito is an idea I can get behind.

During the days, we did a lot of shopping. My friend really likes h. Naoto, so she got a shirt from his shop in Harajuku. We're all huge video game nerds, so we made the usual pilgrimage to Akihabara, checking out the Mandarake for anime goods, and Super Potato (and smaller shops) to grab SNES/Genesis games. I play a lot of fighting games, so I hit up the huge Sega World near the station and played some Virtua Fighter 5 and SF4, and did better than I expected to. As usual, the VF.net account system is a clusterfuck, I do not recommend attempting to buy and activate a VF.net card unless you're spending a ton of time in arcades, have a permanent cellphone, etc.

We did visit the Square-Enix store, which has a cool showroom, but is tough to find since it's not really near anything. They have an amazingly complete collection of soundtracks, and some great gamer gifts like tote bags with semi-obscure Final Fantasy references-- game swag that isn't obviously from a video game is where it's at. I also love everything related to Metal Gear, so I demanded that we stop at Tokyo Midtown in Roppongi to hit up the Konami Store, which turns out to be next to their employee offices-- I didn't realize it was right there upstairs from the upscale shopping mall. I picked up the Sdatcher Radio Drama CD and a Metal Gear Solid ration-themed bento box I will never use because it only holds enough food for a Japanese person. Oh, and we bought enough of the Persona 4 random mini-figures that maybe we should have just bought an entire box set.

The last night we stayed at the Mitsui Garden Hotel in Ginza, which starts from the 25th floor of the building it's in, so all the views of the Tokyo skyline are amazing, if you like that sort of thing (I do). If you pay a little bit extra, you can get a bathtub with a view. We sadly didn't have time to hit up the famous cocktail bars in Ginza, but the hotel bar was still very classy, and afterwards we stumbled next door to the Don Quixote to drunkenly ogle merchandise that was somewhat less classy. The hotel isn't actually that expensive for how trendy it looks, but it does book pretty far in advance.

Echizen - On the way up to Kanazawa on the Hokuriku Line, I decided to stay a night somewhere totally random, and settled on Echizen. I love The Tale of Genji, and heard they had a Lady Murasaki Park, so I figured it might be worth a trip. The downside was that we showed up on a Tuesday when none of the buses were running, and a lot of restaurants were basically closed except for reservations or something. Not wanting to deal with that, we just strolled around, and it is really astounding how many temples there are in this quiet little town. The park's pretty ordinary, but it does have a relatively impressive statue of Murasaki. On the way back, we found this kitschy Americana store which was kind of cool to look through. It's hilarious to see stuff like Gap brand and Four Brothers pasta sauce given specialty import item status. Even though we basically decided to end the day by eating instant food we bought at the Lawson for dinner, it was still a fun change from the hustle and bustle of Tokyo.

Oh, and don't be like me and assume you can activate your JR Pass at any station-- I felt like a goon when I tried to activate it at Takefu when it says right on the back which stations can do it. I fortunately only ended up paying like $50 extra.

Kanazawa - Since the more famous Sumiyoshiya ryokan was totally booked well in advance, we stayed at the Kikunoya, which I highly recommend. The owners were really cool, lent us some umbrellas for going out, and were really helpful in general. Several people here have already posted about the stuff there is to do here, so I'll just say use the great guides they've made. The historical stuff there is to see in Chayamachi is interesting and doesn't cost tourist trap prices for admission. I'll add that craft classes are a lot of fun, I went to the Sakuda Gold Leaf shop. Seriously, most of these classes are really idiot-proof-- I can barely handle a coloring book, and I still ended up with a neat gold pattern lacquerware box. Their little display museum is neat, but I really liked their gift shop, which let me get some souvenir shopping out of the way. There's a lot of domestic tourism to Kanazawa, but the place never really feels touristy or crowded. A couple of middle aged ladies from Yokohama tried to chat me up in what they remembered of their English, and I helped them out for a bit until I surprised them by switching to Japanese. They were really nice, and I think just surprised to see foreign tourists there. I politely said I hoped to visit Yokohama someday, to which they replied, "Oh, don't bother. We're just a couple of bumpkins (onobori-san) on holiday," which got a laugh out of me. I think the Japanese have pretty clear ideas on what they think foreigners do-- I overheard an elderly group in Kyoto who saw us and remarked to each other, "Oh, you know foreigners visiting will always see the usual sights, so that's Tokyo and Kyoto." I was half tempted to turn around and say something like, "Actually, we went to Kanazawa, which was really nice!" but you know, it's a non-confrontational society and it rubs off on you really quick =)

Bonus for this stop was the fact that Kikunoya Ryokan is literally around the corner from an Ippudo Ramen. After visiting the New York location and waiting 1.5 hours for a seat in between painfully trendy city dwellers, just walking in to a chill family restaurant version of the same thing was a little surreal. We ate at least three meals of their excellent tonkotsu ramen or potstickers there during our time in Kanazawa.

Kyoto - We stayed at Matsubaya Ryokan, which is across the street from the big Higashi Hongan-ji temple complex. We met back up with our friends who had splurged a bit and stayed at an upscale onsen in Hakone in the meantime. We took them on the usual trip to Kiyomizu Temple, which was overrun with kids praying for success in their studies (you guys are in elementary school, how hard can your classes be?) but I still like the view. I would have liked to go back to Arashiyama, but it was a bit out of the way. Instead, we went to Fushimi Inari, and walked the entire route, mostly because we did not know in advance how much climbing was involved. It was August, so we stopped at basically every rest stop where you have to buy something to sit down, and I gladly paid for a bottle of Aquarius to replace the amount of liquid I was sweating out. I vividly remember one of the shops was just selling garden fresh cucumbers with salt to sprinkle on them, which was the best thing I'd tasted all day. Taking a breather and watching the Japanese tourists (some of the girls wearing heels?!) get 1/2 the way up and cry out in despair got pretty funny. Still, I do recommend the experience-- I'm in terrible shape and I managed it, and I think elderly people walk the route to stay in shape. We had the Lonely Planet guide, which correctly remarked that it takes some courage to attempt to visit Fushimi Inari at night... I think I've played too much Fatal Frame to be quite that brave. On the way back, we had one of those experiences where we drastically underestimated the distance to the nearest train station, and walked too far with everyone a little cranky. We ducked into a random restaurant off a side street for a late lunch of kitsune udon (It IS Fushimi Inari...). We also did a yuzen fabric dying crafts class where once again, even those of us without any artistic ability turned out some nice looking souvenirs.

Other than that, we did some shopping at Teramachi, I visited the famous Kyoto arcade A-Cho, which I had serious trouble finding since the mall entrance is covered in AKB48 posters. The highlight was actually beating a few people at Third Strike, and peeing in the bathroom as Guilty Gear rock music blasted at dance club volume. We also watched the Rurouni Kenshin movie in the theater in Teramachi, which wasn't a cinematic tour de force, but tons better than I thought it'd be. The Japanese system of booking your seats in advance seemed way better than standing in line so your friends can sit together, and the high Japanese ticket prices are now not that much more than what a movie costs in a US theater anyway.

Osaka - While we were there, Universal Studios Japan had an "early Halloween" event, the primary draw for us being the Resident Evil attraction. At night, the New York section of the park gets turned into Raccoon City, with projections of the buildings from Resident Evil 2 on the facades, props, and then entire park is overrun with zombie actors in makeup and costume. Their entire job is to stumble around, which you think wouldn't be so scary, except you're so focused on staying clear of the two in front of you, that one gets behind you and does a zombie groan in your ear. In the main area, there's a Claire Redfield actress doing crowd control, and running around, and Jill Valentine is facing off with the Tyrant on top of the big Universal globe. Given that Resident Evil 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, it was a geek fantasy come true. My wife and I elected to wait in line for the RE haunted house attraction in the Cyberdyne Systems building, while our friends opted to explore the park and get the novelty snacks, like where they'd mix blue and green herbs in an alcoholic cocktail, and so on. The waitress' English wasn't so good, but was delighted that they were familiar enough with the games to understand what she was trying to say. I don't want to spoil too much about the haunted house (they had a Silent Hill attraction at some US locations, I hear) but it did play very well on the natural human fear of crowds/infection, and I loved that they played the Save Room music from the games to lull you into a false sense of security in the waiting room.

During the daytime, before the horror stuff opened, we did ordinary theme park stuff like the Back to the Future ride, the Jaws attraction, and waiting out a thunderstorm in the Jurassic Park gift shop. I'm sure a theme park veteran would have found it boring, but I don't get out to that many, so I'm easily impressed. I did love the Spider-Man ride which had a lot of 3D effects, was dubbed in Japanese, and had a lot of "America!!!" type stuff in their mockup of the Daily Bugle newsroom offices that you can look at while you're in line. Oh, and the "Takoyaki Museum" that's just outside Universal Studios in a mall is really just a food court with a bunch of different varieties of takoyaki on sale. Guess what? That's still totally awesome.

Questions/Comments/Bans?

spankminister fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 9, 2013

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Of all the places you went, which city or area was your favorite?

spankminister
Apr 11, 2012
It's a tough call between Kanazawa and Kyoto, but I'm going to go with Kyoto. While Kanazawa was more relaxing, and the ryokan/food more cozy, Kyoto also has a lot of charm. Every time, I'm struck by the atmosphere of Gion after dark. Just a block or two across the bridge from a huge urban intersection is this quiet neighborhood with narrow, old-fashioned alleys and wooden buildings next to the Shirakawa River. As you walk, you can catch glimpses of what lies behind the gates and doors: traditional restaurants, a tiny upscale drinking establishment with a beautiful mahogany Western-style bar seating only ten, the entryway of a ryokan that is well out of your price range. Many guidebooks recommend a stroll through the area, I think with good reason-- it has character. There are some well-known routes taken by famous poets who lived a bohemian life in the tea houses of Gion.

On the main road, just after we crossed the bridge, there was a large tour group gawking at a Geisha (Maiko?) as she hurried to her next appointment. She moved really fast for someone in a kimono that fancy, and had a very clear expression of, "I'm not in the mood for your poo poo right now, get the gently caress out of my way."

I grew up in American suburbs where you have to drive everywhere, so I am definitely not a city person, but Tokyo is probably my favorite city in terms of that feeling of urban exploration (as in the baby-mode version, not the hop a fence and trespass version). Even though I spent a lot of time in Tokyo, I still feel like going back.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Do you remember how much the mobile was?

spankminister
Apr 11, 2012
I think it's technically free, then you can pay 120 yen/day for insurance. Incoming calls are free, so we'd ping a friend who'd then call us back. We used a few texts, as well, it came out to maybe 20 bucks for the two weeks we were there.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

spankminister posted:

We did visit the Square-Enix store, which has a cool showroom, but is tough to find since it's not really near anything. They have an amazingly complete collection of soundtracks, and some great gamer gifts like tote bags with semi-obscure Final Fantasy references-- game swag that isn't obviously from a video game is where it's at.

FYI the Square-Enix store no longer exists in that incarnation (and it appears your link is broken) - it's now known as ARTNIA. It has a cool crystal artwork in the middle of the showroom, and a nice cafe. Closest train station is Higashi Shinjuku - don't be like me and walk there from the Shinjuku JR station unless you really like walking.

spankminister
Apr 11, 2012
(Fixed link) that's good to know. The setup of the merchandise with the tables and cubby holes looks similar to before, just with a sleeker interior. It's nice that they're putting the space to better use-- the upper floor with the Sephiroth statue had the decor of a jewelry store, but couldn't have moved enough merch to really justify it.

I'll second the advice not to walk from Shinjuku JR station, which is what we did.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Goddamn. That makes me miss Japan greatly. It sounds like you hit a good balance of touristy and off-touristy stuff like I did, even though we visited a lot of different areas. I'm glad you got to visit Super Potato, too.

spankminister
Apr 11, 2012
The trip was way back in August, so it made me want to go back, too. Do you have a trip report, I'm basically already mentally planning my next trip. (Clicking on your post history gives me a permission denied... I don't need the archives upgrade to see it, do I?)

Super Potato was great, and we did some comparison shopping since some guides were certain that things would be more expensive since it's well known... That's probably true for some specialty items, but in general it was fine. It's also hard to predict what's a collector's item. A pristine copy of Chrono Trigger or FF6 in a box with a manual is cheap as dirt over there, while over here it's over $200. Yet the Japanese copy of Castlevania Bloodlines I wanted was $300, and I picked it up for $10 at a yard sale upon returning to the US.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

spankminister posted:

The trip was way back in August, so it made me want to go back, too. Do you have a trip report, I'm basically already mentally planning my next trip. (Clicking on your post history gives me a permission denied... I don't need the archives upgrade to see it, do I?)

Super Potato was great, and we did some comparison shopping since some guides were certain that things would be more expensive since it's well known... That's probably true for some specialty items, but in general it was fine. It's also hard to predict what's a collector's item. A pristine copy of Chrono Trigger or FF6 in a box with a manual is cheap as dirt over there, while over here it's over $200. Yet the Japanese copy of Castlevania Bloodlines I wanted was $300, and I picked it up for $10 at a yard sale upon returning to the US.

I'm kind of a Stupid Newbie when it comes to the post history stuff since I haven't used that at all. Maybe it takes the Platinum upgrade since you're essentially searching.

However, I didn't do a trip report because it was before I became active in this thread. However, I did get about eh... 70% through blogging about it before I ran out of steam. A shame too since the next days up would have been Kyoto and Hiroshima/Miyajima. Maybe I'll get inspired to pull out my journal and finish the series finally.

I'll shoot you a PM with the blog link, provided you can receive them.

Edit: gently caress it, bring on the stalker goonrush

http://www.browniebites.net/category/vacation/japan-vacation/

Edit2: Jesus that was 30 lbs ago

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 9, 2013

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So there's a profit to be had by reselling Chrono Trigger and FF6 games to chumps in the west? Hmm...

spankminister
Apr 11, 2012
Well, this is for Japanese language versions, the friend just sorta wanted them for the novelty, plus he's played them so many times it's not like he needs to read the text that badly. They were like $8-$15, so pretty cheap souvenir. It's the US versions that go for the big bucks.

Fryhtaning posted:

Maybe I'll get inspired to pull out my journal and finish the series finally.

Please do? Bonus points for posting your own images, I'll see if I'm not too lazy to dig up the blurry shots I took with my phone if any of them aren't appallingly lovely.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Has the plummeting value of the Yen abroad caused much inflation in prices, particularly apartments?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Arbite posted:

Has the plummeting value of the Yen abroad caused much inflation in prices, particularly apartments?

Not really.

Japan has an export economy anyway; the yen isn't supposed to be high.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.

spankminister posted:

Awesome trip report

Osaka! I'm planning to stop by there on my next trip to Japan, any interesting places to go visit there?

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Morgenthau posted:

Osaka! I'm planning to stop by there on my next trip to Japan, any interesting places to go visit there?
Umeda Sky Building and Tsutenkaku Tower - high-up vistas of the north and south parts of the city, respectively (Tsutenkaku is only a measly 100-odd meters high though). Near the base of Tsutenkaku is the first Daruma, Japan's premier kushiyaki joint. Remember not to double-dip. Also near there is Spa World, a giant indoor bathhouse/swimming complex which is the only thing left of the otherwise-failed amusement center there.

Dotonbori canal - lots of foot traffic, lots of delicious food, and the neon signboard collection near Midosuji street has things like Glico Man and the wonderfully cheesy Super Tamade electronic billboard which combines cartoony images of Japanese icons, sunflowers, and random women dancing in bikinis.

Den Den Town is basically West Akihabara. The Tennoji Zoo is just to the southeast if you come in the summer, it's worth a look.

DON'T go to Osaka Castle, it's a reconstruction and boring as hell.

If you're looking for something more specific, ask.

spankminister
Apr 11, 2012

Morgenthau posted:

Navaash posted:

Den Den Town is basically West Akihabara. The Tennoji Zoo is just to the southeast if you come in the summer, it's worth a look.

DON'T go to Osaka Castle, it's a reconstruction and boring as hell.

I'm not an Osaka expert, so I'll defer to Navaash, though I will say when it comes to Japanese buildings, "it's a reconstruction" is pretty much a given. Even Kanazawa's "samurai district" has been restored for tourism purposes as well, but I don't think that means it's fake so one should skip it. I liked Osaka Castle both times, while I find stuff like Kinkakuji pretty skippable, but that may be my personal taste.

I visited Den Den Town and went to the Super Potato, which was not really convenient compared to the Akihabara location, but if you're in the area or are looking for a game selection less ravaged by waves of foreign tourists, go for it.

Oh, and my friends went to the aquarium, and said it was really cool, so that might be worth a shot?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Navaash posted:

Also near there is Spa World, a giant indoor bathhouse/swimming complex which is the only thing left of the otherwise-failed amusement center there.

Spa World is pretty cool. I went there in 2011. It's got like twelve different theme baths, half of them European-style and half of them Asian-style. They cycle every so often whether the European or Asian floor is open to men or women. When I went there, the European floor was for men. So I got to hang out in Roman baths, Atlantis (bath with fish tanks everywhere), Scandinavian ice bath, Greek temple baths and one more... I wanna Spanish something? Anyway, it was neat. I recommend it for the baths or cheesy Japanese reconstruction enthusiast.

I also think Osaka Castle is a good visit. Even if it's not an authentic castle the way you might hope, it's still a pretty good museum with interesting artifacts and a good story. Just across the street is another museum in a more modern building, I wanna say Osaka Prefectural Museum or Kansai Museum or something like that? It's really good and has some interactive stuff to play with.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Bloodnose posted:

I wanna say Osaka Prefectural Museum or Kansai Museum or something like that? It's really good and has some interactive stuff to play with.

Think it was the Osaka Prefectural Museum. They had an interesting layout and number of artifacts but almost everything was in Japanese :eng99: I remembered some museum volunteers invited us to play some history related board game in Japanese. They insisted on us playing when we clearly didn't speak much Japanese. I think we failed almost every question but at the end everyone was relieved that the game was over and politely smiled. That was a really :japan: moment

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
While we're talking about fake castles, the castle in Atami was a lot of fun. It's completely fake but is a museum devoted to... castle facts. It has armor and stuff that you can touch, matchstick models of other castles, a crappy arcade in the basement, a floor devoted to corny Japanese jokes...

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.
Thanks for the suggestions guys, Umeda Sky Building and Tsutenkaku Tower sound interesting.

Actually, I will be taking my family for the first time to Japan. I had suggested Tokyo and the surrounding areas as a good primer for them , but they really want to go visit Osaka. I intend to spend maybe 2 or 3 days there, would Osaka itself be enough? Or would you recommend we check out the nearby areas?

Dotonbori is definitely on my list(gotta see that giant crab)and the aquarium are good ideas.

On Osaka castle how bad is it? Is it as touristy as Sensoji temple? (though I admit I enjoyed it there)

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Osaka castle is pretty touristy, but they have some neat items on display inside, and the grounds themselves are wonderful. Worth a look.

I went to the nearby museum as well (this was about 2 months ago) and quite enjoyed it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I always recommend Kaiyukan to people going to Osaka.
It's one of my favorite things in Japan, and it's definitely the best and coolest aquarium that I've ever been to.
The only real negative is it isn't A Japanese Thing.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Morgenthau posted:

Actually, I will be taking my family for the first time to Japan. I had suggested Tokyo and the surrounding areas as a good primer for them , but they really want to go visit Osaka. I intend to spend maybe 2 or 3 days there, would Osaka itself be enough? Or would you recommend we check out the nearby areas?

That's not something you hear very often. "It's my first trip to Japan, and I have got to go to Osaka!"

Kyoto and Nara are very close, at least, for any True Japanese™ experiences in which you wish to partake.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Probably the food reputation. I went to Tokyo on my first Japan trip but the next one will likely be Osaka, and nothing but gorging myself like a foie gras goose the entire time.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

spankminister posted:

Book-Off is a great place to look for old games too, as are some flea markets. I grabbed Gaia Gensouki for snes in box with manual and warranty and everything for Y250, though usually the games there are just loose carts. Super Potato is cool but some of the smaller stores in the main street in Akihabara sell for less (Tenchi Souzou complete boxed for Y2000, not bad). There's one place which throws in a free lovely horse racing/mahjong cart on every purchase.

I'm heading back to Japan in july, I look forward to gorging myself on nakamoto ramen for a good month and a half. Japan owns.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I want to immerse myself in the language to learn the spoken portion. Would staying in Osaka not be the best idea due to picking up Kansai-ben habits, or would it not make much difference? I'm hoping to get familiar with the Japanese of business meetings.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
just sneak into a boardroom and stand in the corner.

Always watching.
Always listening.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Arbite posted:

I'm hoping to get familiar with the Japanese of business meetings.

The only way to do that is to go to a lot of business meetings and see a range of situations with a range of different people.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yeah, sounds like you need a business internship? Most companies will use standard Japanese for meetings and customer interaction. If you are hoping as a Tourist to get enough Japanese practice to give you an edge on job applications... it is very unlikely! Unless you just eavesdrop in a JR office all day.

peanut fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 15, 2013

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Arbite posted:

I want to immerse myself in the language to learn the spoken portion. Would staying in Osaka not be the best idea due to picking up Kansai-ben habits, or would it not make much difference? I'm hoping to get familiar with the Japanese of business meetings.

If you're properly immersing yourself you will pick up Kansai-ben habits, which may or may not be a bad thing.

If you want to get familiar with business Japanese you will have to be in a business environment.

This, mind you, is a thread mostly for tourism, so we will be assuming you're a tourist. If you're staying for longer term you'll need to tell us more about your situation/wishes if you want some actual effective advice.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Arbite posted:

I want to immerse myself in the language to learn the spoken portion.

Has anyone actually ever met someone able to do this? I've never met any illiterate Japanese speakers above a very, very low level. Certainly way below business level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Ara posted:

Has anyone actually ever met someone able to do this? I've never met any illiterate Japanese speakers above a very, very low level. Certainly way below business level.

I've met a few very high-functioning speakers who... well, while they weren't illiterate, they only knew kana and a handful of kanji.

• Locked thread