Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Myrddin Emrys posted:

If you think about it, there's not a lot of ways the Reed thing could have resolved, short of "thing out of loving nowhere that makes no sense at all", or else Reed would have already planned for it.

The city having evolved past him was obviously always gonna be how the story ends, but it probably wasn't originally going to be this rushed and anti-climactic. I mean humphries even co-wrote those last two issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Did the Ultimate line even release digitally for those? I honestly can't remember, which is a sign most people probably didn't know about it if it did. If a guy who reads BSS didn't know about it who the hell did?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SirDan3k posted:

Did the Ultimate line even release digitally for those? I honestly can't remember, which is a sign most people probably didn't know about it if it did. If a guy who reads BSS didn't know about it who the hell did?

Yeah the Ultimate relaunch was same-day-as-print.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Myrddin Emrys posted:

If you think about it, there's not a lot of ways the Reed thing could have resolved, short of "thing out of loving nowhere that makes no sense at all", or else Reed would have already planned for it.

I really thought it was going to end with Sue showing up and going with the remember-who-you-are ending. It's a little cliche, but it would have worked.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Super Dan posted:

I really thought it was going to end with Sue showing up and going with the remember-who-you-are ending. It's a little cliche, but it would have worked.

Whether or not it would've worked who would want that? Does anyone want to read "Ultimate Comics: Fantastic Four"?

I want to see Reed be the new Doom. I want him to be the smartest guy on Earth who will fix it no matter who tries to stop him. That's more interesting than teen-genius who ignores his genius girlfriend and suicidal best friend. It's certainly better than repentant Reed saves the world with his ex and his best friend, her fiancé.

Reed is defined by his obsession and his resolve not to compromise. Let's not change that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kaleidoscope posted:

Whether or not it would've worked who would want that? Does anyone want to read "Ultimate Comics: Fantastic Four"?

I want to see Reed be the new Doom. I want him to be the smartest guy on Earth who will fix it no matter who tries to stop him. That's more interesting than teen-genius who ignores his genius girlfriend and suicidal best friend. It's certainly better than repentant Reed saves the world with his ex and his best friend, her fiancé.

Reed is defined by his obsession and his resolve not to compromise. Let's not change that.

It looks like he is going to be. The new writer of Ultimates has said that he is part of a group of 4 that is no way going to be heroes. It will be him, hulk, quicksilver and someone else.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I kinda hoped Ultimate Hulk could find some peace. :(

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Kaleidoscope posted:

I want both. I want UC:FF, with Sue, Ben, Johnny and Jessica Drew, and Reed to get his rear end beat and go to his best bet for tech to get revenge with, Latveria, where he becomes the new Doom.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Kaleidoscope posted:

He WAS. That's why seeing him taken down so anti-climatically was terrible.

I expected him to succeed in his plan completely except for a crucial moment where Sue turns up and it turns out that for all his planning, he's still distracted by his feelings for her, allowing the heroes to get their one shot in. Having him beaten by his last smidgen of humanity (and vowing to remove it) would be a great parallel to Doom's own path.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Instead Sue jumps in with a biker helmet and punches him with psychic bits.

"I was always smarter than you."

NoyouwerentohmyGod!!!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I didn't read beyond that last issue of the Reed storyline so what happened to his city? It was planted right in the middle of Europe and they'd taken tens of millions of lives. How did they resolve that??

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zzulu posted:

I didn't read beyond that last issue of the Reed storyline so what happened to his city? It was planted right in the middle of Europe and they'd taken tens of millions of lives. How did they resolve that??

Its supposedly still there, just after that America kind of fell apart so the Ultimates and co all focused their attention on that.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

The city decided that war was counter-productive to evolution and kicked Reed out for being a tyrannical warmonger. Then they formed an alliance with America and nobody really wanted to provoke the city any more so they left it alone. It's still there.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I hope they do something with the city but I'm sure whoever gets tired of it will simply go "to evolve further we must leave this planet also we went ahead and left things as they were before we took over, later shitlords"

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I hope they do something with the city but I'm sure whoever gets tired of it will simply go "to evolve further we must leave this planet also we went ahead and left things as they were before we took over, later shitlords"

They'll just never mention it again like with that other city of hyper advanced beings.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SirDan3k posted:

They'll just never mention it again like with that other city of hyper advanced beings.

The mutant city? Jean is on the X-Men book doing [things] for them last I read so maybe that'll come back (probably not)?

Ultimate Spidey was good today. It's nice to see Miles pick himself up somewhat.

And Cloak & Dagger, a couple I barely know anything about except for that pretty Fear Itself book. Or was it AvX? I can't remember, but it was neat.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Worth noting that at least Dagger was name dropped in USM. I think she was running for class president or something.

Real smooth, Gwen. Real loving smooth.

I cannot believe I am this emotionally invested in a Spider-Man story that isn't Peter Parker.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bombshell is that girl that Peter kept having trouble with isn't she?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

And Cloak & Dagger, a couple I barely know anything about except for that pretty Fear Itself book. Or was it AvX? I can't remember, but it was neat.

It was Spider-Island, but yeah, I agree it was neat to see them. I like their Ultimate look.

I don't know how I feel about the timeskip though. On one hand, I like having Miles and his supporting cast a little older, but on the other, unless every other Ultimate book also skips a year, it's gonna be really weird every time something big happens in NYC knowing Miles is actively not doing anything. I get that it's totally possible for him to not be at every event and for his guilt to overcome his sense of duty, but given how often crazy poo poo goes on in Marvel New York, he'd really have to dodge a lot of wild poo poo.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The other books are such a loving mess I don't think Bendis has any plans for major crossovers. Even X-Men is only, at best, a decent read and that mostly takes place on the other side of the country.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm reading the original Ultimate Fantastic Four now while I'm waiting for Marvel Unlimited to refresh with more Ultimate Comics content.

The Reed Richards character was a powder keg waiting to go off from the get go.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

coconono posted:

I'm reading the original Ultimate Fantastic Four now while I'm waiting for Marvel Unlimited to refresh with more Ultimate Comics content.

The Reed Richards character was a powder keg waiting to go off from the get go.

There's a few pages in one of the last issues from Bendis' Ultimate Doom trilogy that I thought really explained how Reed was always pretty close to becoming a Doom-like figure.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Bombshell is that girl that Peter kept having trouble with isn't she?

Yeah, but she was part of a supervillain duo with her mom.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Genetic Toaster posted:

Yeah, but she was part of a supervillain duo with her mom.

Didn't their powers only work if they were near each other?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
David Marquez is a hell of an artist, and that was one superb Spider-Man comic. I still think everything JDrew did in it was kind of hosed up, though. Gwen's scene had the most gravitas.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Is this the first time they've mentioned that Miles' girlfriend is Kate Bishop?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Dacap posted:

I don't remember it, but when I saw Katie Bishop, I got pretty excited for the future of the Ultimate Universe. Then more in the last page.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Dacap posted:

This is a year later. she hasn't been mentioned before. Presumably she joined the school sometime in that one year gap and Miles and her met then.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

notthegoatseguy posted:

This is a year later. she hasn't been mentioned before. Presumably she joined the school sometime in that one year gap and Miles and her met then.

She's been shown a few times in previous issues but they weren't together yet, she just wasn't mentioned by name.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurdiak posted:

Him being moved to Avengers before he was done telling his story on Ultimates was a direct result of Marvel's higher-ups realizing the Ultimate relaunch wasn't getting the sales they wanted. Hickman himself said as much.

Which is a shame, since if the relaunch was around the fabulous Cap is back cover it worked and has led to me giving a disturbing amount of money to Marvel.

PastaSky
Dec 15, 2009
This comic is so good. The art was wonderful, and so is the story. I hope miles comes out to his dad. I think it makes sense. Keeping secrets like that is't good.
I hope miles helps out against bombshell.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

PastaSky posted:

This comic is so good. The art was wonderful, and so is the story. I hope miles comes out to his dad. I think it makes sense. Keeping secrets like that is't good.
I hope miles helps out against bombshell.

I bet he's gonna have to help against Cloak and Dagger, actually.

PastaSky
Dec 15, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I bet he's gonna have to help against Cloak and Dagger, actually.

Oh, that makes more sense. I just jumped on her being the bad person cause of her history. But a 2v2 makes more sense than 3v1, and shes a teen which makes her more likely to be friendly with miles
(from a story structure pov).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just cracked open the new Ult Spider-Man.
Is every Ultimate comic skipping ahead one year?

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just cracked open the new Ult Spider-Man.
Is every Ultimate comic skipping ahead one year?

X-Men is doubtful since Wood is mid-storyline but with Fialkov taking over Ultimates for a new arc I wouldn't be terrible surprised.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Kaleidoscope posted:

X-Men is doubtful since Wood is mid-storyline but with Fialkov taking over Ultimates for a new arc I wouldn't be terrible surprised.

Fialkov is picking up the Infinity gems storyline so I don't think it would be skipping time yet considering they're still in the middle of it.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Dacap posted:

Fialkov is picking up the Infinity gems storyline so I don't think it would be skipping time yet considering they're still in the middle of it.

He's also doing an Ultimates Disassembled storyline so it's possible.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

For those who remember Ultimate Edit, I've finally gotten off my rear end and compiled it into CBRs, even PDFing the annotations and my afterword. Download it here if you haven't read it. I was telling a friend about why Gavok and I did it and he read the Loeb stuff, ending up appalled after having done so. Have they undone any of what he did in the time since?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ManiacClown posted:

For those who remember Ultimate Edit, I've finally gotten off my rear end and compiled it into CBRs, even PDFing the annotations and my afterword. Download it here if you haven't read it. I was telling a friend about why Gavok and I did it and he read the Loeb stuff, ending up appalled after having done so. Have they undone any of what he did in the time since?

They've pretty much chosen to ignore the whole thing. I don't think they've reversed any character deaths (although Magneto, Xavier, and Wanda MIGHT all be alive again), but they did a time jump immediately after and other than a few "oh man, was that flood ever bad?" lines it hasn't been directly referenced at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
No one ever explained how Quicksilver survived Hawkeye shooting him, not that anyone really cared.

• Locked thread