Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grogquock
May 2, 2009
But Thorsby, if the point of war is to kill members of your own tribe, then your tribe will be weaker and subject being conquered (and the leader killed) by a "cheater" tribe which avoids the self harm game and goes to war only when it comes with a high benefit and relatively low cost to its members. Such as attacking tribes that have killed off a bunch of their own members in ill-considered wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Yeah, probably his worst evopsych biotruth depiction by far. All the other ones, while also absurd, were at least plausible. It also ignores the vast history of matriarchal societies.

But I mean, it's a webcomic about space aliens. Maybe in this 'universe' the very psychology of the universe is different.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Grogquock posted:

But Thorsby, if the point of war is to kill members of your own tribe, then your tribe will be weaker and subject being conquered (and the leader killed) by a "cheater" tribe which avoids the self harm game and goes to war only when it comes with a high benefit and relatively low cost to its members. Such as attacking tribes that have killed off a bunch of their own members in ill-considered wars.

This would require awareness of the Thorsbyian Reason for War. Hence the deeper reason why Spoons had to die. Assuming he was correct, he had the potential to severely alter the status quo of the known inhabited universe.

dipwood posted:

But I mean, it's a webcomic about space aliens. Maybe in this 'universe' the very psychology of the universe is different.

He did imply that Earth is a little atypical.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 11, 2013

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
How come I still can't read the new page even when I clear my cookies? Can someone upload it on imgur? This has happened to me like 2 or 3 times before.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The last few pages can be seen here. I'm not timging them in the post itself because they're big.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

How come I still can't read the new page even when I clear my cookies? Can someone upload it on imgur? This has happened to me like 2 or 3 times before.

Ctrl+F5 will clear your cache of the page you're refreshing.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Someone hid in a closet, eavesdropped on a conversation, and faked their own identity with a stupid chain of lies and none of this has come back to bite anybody yet. What's going on here, Thorsby?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am not sure if these are the worst or the best spies.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Note that Dunkirk has exactly as many of those limb-holes as are needed for this situation.

He planned it all from the beginning. :fyadride:

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Look at how many limb holes he had before the fight. No arm holes. It seems that limb choosers 'heal' their limb holes after a certain amount of time. And that they don't need the limb holes to plug in to use as limbs.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They can pretty much just put a limb on any part of their body and control it from what we've seen, they definitely just heal them pretty quick. Which makes sense for a race that specifically has detachable limbs.

Also Dunkirk is one of my favorite Thorsby characters ever, his ridiculous scheming and quick-thinking semi-cowardice is always good.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The limbchoosers are basically Mr Potato Head rationalized as a symbiotic alien species. There are no set places for limbs to be connected, it's always a traumatic graft. That means they can have as many limbs as needed (the tradeoff being that if they have too many limbs, they'll tire faster as they have to feed them all).

Control is based on hormones, so logically their reactions should be quite slower than species with their own limbs and a nervous system, which would make them quite lousy at being action spies.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
The limbchoosers not favoring stereoscopic hearing puzzles me. They go for stereoscopic vision. WHY THORSBY? We have two ears for a reason.

Cave Adapted
Jun 13, 2012

Sizone posted:

The limbchoosers not favoring stereoscopic hearing puzzles me. They go for stereoscopic vision. WHY THORSBY? We have two ears for a reason.

If you look at the page linked just above your post you can see all of the life on the limbchooser planet shares the same ear, even the little parasites. Of course that doesn't explain why they haven't just stuck a second one on now that they are intelligent.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sizone posted:

It might be a complex ear that is composed of multiple separate hearing organs. Such a complex ear could hear stereoscopically on it's own.
The size of the limbchooser ear seems to suggest it. It's unlikely the species would have adapted such a large ear unless the size had some benefit.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Schwarzwald posted:

It might be a complex ear that is composed of multiple separate hearing organs. Such a complex ear could hear stereoscopically on it's own.
The size of the limbchooser ear seems to suggest it. It's unlikely the species would have adapted such a large ear unless the size had some benefit.

I hadn't thought of that. Ear placement, and the fact that there's a head inbetween the two is largely what allows us to place sounds, but cats have basically forward facing ears and they don't seem to have much problem knowing when, and from where, something is sneaking up on them so you're probably on to something.
But they should've gone for compound eyes too, dagnabbit.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I like to imagine that Commander Harp's expression in the last panel there isn't because he's surprised about what Dunkirk is saying, but because he just realized his wrist is horribly mangled and broken.

I'm genuinely not sure what Thorsby was going for there.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
You can tell poo poo's about to go down because the Commander has not only shown emotion, but shock.

The situation with the cause of war mirrors the introduction of DNA testing to the Best Planet Ever. I think the story is at a turning point.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
If she was threatening to stun blast him, why wouldn't she draw on him first when he's busy with an armload of Not-Plume?

Though, knowing Thorsby, if she had stunned him somebody else would have come in and had the exact same conversation with her and so on until the entire ship's crew was lying unconscious in that room.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

For once not-Plume's secret works in his favour.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
The secret of war, the final truth: men instinctively want all the wives, forever. :supaburn:

That's just terrible.

It's not enough to make me drop this though, especially as I already ploughed through all the other dumb biotruths stuff. Still interesting to me.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

cubivore posted:

The secret of war, the final truth: men instinctively want all the wives, forever.

That doesn't seem to be the case, though.
The comic mentions that people who want several wives can get them without war, and that monogamous people are just as likely to go to war.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It would be hilarious if the theory turns out to be wrong and no utterly devastating civil war occurs.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Huh, I figured that medical bot thing was a decoy. I didn't expect that to happen.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Half expected to see one more panel with just a pair of blinking eyes on the ash pile.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Well that was unexpected :stare:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Maybe we should start posting links to the updates? Something like this:

:siren:UPDATE:siren:

Ash

Ouch. :stare: That had to hurt.

ElementaryScotty
Jan 8, 2010
Dang, I thought Rum might end up as something like the main antagonist.

But that's what I thought about the real Plume.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
His arms and foot detached to escape the death-ray. :allears:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

scarycave posted:

His arms and foot detached to escape the death-ray. :allears:

Rum must be trained in the Limbchooser martial arts.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

my dad posted:

Ouch. :stare: That had to hurt.

On the other hand, I don't think Rum's body had the time to process any sort of pain. If you gotta be murdered by your ex-girlfriend, why not settle for a flying saucer's plasma cannon? It's quickly over with and sure to leave an impression on any non-stunrayed witness.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ElementaryScotty posted:

Dang, I thought Rum might end up as something like the main antagonist.

But that's what I thought about the real Plume.

I have a feeling the story may be starting to wrap up. They've found the person they were chasing this whole time, and know what the solution is to the problem they've been facing all along. Now the only two real permanent antagonists we've had revealed (Real Plume and Rum) are both dead. I have a feeling we'll get one more planet to wrap everything up, during which it's revealed that everyone is a double agent for someone else and lots of people die.

I would have said Not-Plume turns out to have been a super spy all along, but that wouldn't fit with Thorsby's love of oblivious everyman heroes.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I thought this was going a bit too smoothly. Now this is really going to test people's relationship's with not-Plume.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Poor guy won't ever see Earth again.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Just to make it clear, the previous two posts were talking about an

:siren:UPDATE:siren:

A policy Petrevolt agrees with

I still hope that the theory will turn out to be wrong.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

my dad posted:

I still hope that the theory will turn out to be wrong.

Or at least, not generally applicable beyond the Tjargellos. While it tends to be Biotruth: the Webcomic; so far it has shown different aliens adopting very different approaches to fulfill the same imperative. How could the "royal harem" theory apply to the trap-building aliens who never actually meets, for example?

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Cat Mattress posted:

Or at least, not generally applicable beyond the Tjargellos. While it tends to be Biotruth: the Webcomic; so far it has shown different aliens adopting very different approaches to fulfill the same imperative. How could the "royal harem" theory apply to the trap-building aliens who never actually meets, for example?

An entire race goes to war with each other for women?

dipwood fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 3, 2013

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Cat Mattress posted:

You're assuming that every single species goes to war. I bet the ones you're talking about don't even have a word for war.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If it turns out only species which have men go to war, I'll have to wonder if Tatsuya Ishida didn't sneakily kidnap and replace Øyvind Thorsby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I kinda wonder if not-Plume is gonna out his identity to the Commander to force Dunkirk's hand in his favor. I doubt Dunkirk's good enough to take out Shim as well, though he is pretty sneaky.

• Locked thread