Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mach5
Aug 1, 2004

Shatfaced!

euphronius posted:

I'm pretty sure only the aristocrats exposed less than perfect babies. You probably would have been a slightly inefficient Helot.

I guess that's better than nothing, but who knows? I have a knack for music and might make for a decent entertainer if someone could figure out how the Greeks/Romans played their music.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what ancient greek/roman music sounded like? I've run across a few obscure references like 'tune your lyre to the key of Jupiter' but that's of no help whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
There are videos of youtube on bands that try to create Roman music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLxv3IOfj5s

This one is apparently a full album more dedicated to wind instruments.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Mach5 posted:

I guess that's better than nothing, but who knows? I have a knack for music and might make for a decent entertainer if someone could figure out how the Greeks/Romans played their music.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what ancient greek/roman music sounded like? I've run across a few obscure references like 'tune your lyre to the key of Jupiter' but that's of no help whatsoever.

I've heard that maybe the modern modes (Phrygian, Mixolydian, etc) are descended from ancient music, but that specific songs or styles are a total mystery to us. I suppose through folk music one could suss out a very vague idea, but that's an extremely long shot. Folk instruments, though, do help us find out at least what the instruments of antiquity sounded like, and we know from art of the time what the instruments looked like. Essentially, though, we have no idea about what Western music sounded like (except for instrumentation) prior to the Middle Ages, IIRC.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

I've heard that maybe the modern modes (Phrygian, Mixolydian, etc) are descended from ancient music, but that specific songs or styles are a total mystery to us. I suppose through folk music one could suss out a very vague idea, but that's an extremely long shot. Folk instruments, though, do help us find out at least what the instruments of antiquity sounded like, and we know from art of the time what the instruments looked like. Essentially, though, we have no idea about what Western music sounded like (except for instrumentation) prior to the Middle Ages, IIRC.
There's pretty interesting reconstructions of music from cultures that wrote in cuneiform. The songs are able to be reconstructed to a greater degree because the cuneiform can be interpreted to have a direct correspondence to the lyre strings that the musician is supposed to play. While I don't know if it's universally accepted, the case for this interpretation seems pretty strong. However, we can never actually know if what is being played is what it would have sounded like to the writer, since we have no way to know how the instrument was tuned. In the reconstructions that I've heard, they take their best guess at tuning and are able to produce wonderful music, but I doubt if we will ever be able to tell if the reconstruction is accurate.

DirkGently
Jan 14, 2008

I don't know about Roman music (other than that it is discussed in Landa's 'Greek and Roman Music') but for ancient Greek music... believe it or not, there are actually a few scraps of musical notation that survive on papyrus fragments (and inscriptions) along with some ancient scholarly discussion of musical modes and ratios-- there are tons of unanswered questions about them (notably, I do not think that there is any timing or beat information) but some scholars/musicians have taken pretty decent stabs at recreating them with period instruments.

The only book I have ever read on the subject is Martin West's Ancient Greek music which was alright, but there is also website -- here-- where the guy has midi versions of most of the surviving ancient songs (spoiler: they sound awful).

DirkGently fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 12, 2013

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Amused to Death posted:

There are videos of youtube on bands that try to create Roman music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLxv3IOfj5s

This one is apparently a full album more dedicated to wind instruments.

This 'feels' Roman to me, which makes me immediately distrust it. What's their methodology?

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Grand Prize Winner posted:

This 'feels' Roman to me, which makes me immediately distrust it. What's their methodology?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaulia

They are the best we're ever going to get, I imagine.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Looks like it sounds Roman because they've been making Roman movie soundtracks for a while.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Looks like it sounds Roman because they've been making Roman movie soundtracks for a while.

I was rewatching HBO's Rome yesterday, and I could swear their music showed up in it a few times.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Barto posted:

I was rewatching HBO's Rome yesterday, and I could swear their music showed up in it a few times.

Wiki says you would be correct.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
Thanks for correcting me guys, good to know we're not totally in the dark about Greek and Roman music :)

Content: what perception did Romans have of people from different parts of the Empire? For example, were there any qualities or stereotypes associated with Romans from Iberia, Illyria, etc?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It's worth mentioning that a major cause of death in childbirth pre-surgery used to be cephalopelvic disproportion (fetal head too big to pass through maternal pelvis). This was made more common by poor nutrition, growth disorders, and things like tuberclular deformities of the spine.

There's solid evidence of a correlation between maternal height and maternal pelvis size, so an undernourished or overstressed population is going to have more small-pelvised women.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Star Man posted:

If you were a man. The mortality rate for women was much higher because of the dangers involved with being pregnant and childbirth.
Wouldn't military deaths and higher occupational hazards of some male professions even that out somewhat?

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

I've heard people say "We'd have had jet fighters by 1200 AD if Rome had never fallen/the library at Alexandria hadn't been burned."

How true is that? How quickly did new technology tend to catch on in late antiquity (100BC-500AD)?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Thanks for the answers regarding lifespan, everybody. I'm a bit silly to be trying to assert something without actually knowing the details myself.

Space Monster posted:

I've heard people say "We'd have had jet fighters by 1200 AD if Rome had never fallen/the library at Alexandria hadn't been burned."

How true is that? How quickly did new technology tend to catch on in late antiquity (100BC-500AD)?

I'm sure someone else can give a proper answer, but I think it's important to note that the technology we have today is not here through the minds of inventors alone- societal factors that take thousands of years to overcome, not to mention trade networks that were just not present in antiquity, are absolutely essential too. These aren't things that snap overnight, and the innovations and changes in thought produced by millions of people over centuries are more important than the innovations produced by a handful of dudes in one city. You can't just say what if the library hadn't burned and what if Rome hadn't fallen- it's not like someone flipped a switch that doomed the empire overnight, it was a whole slew of factors that accumulated over centuries, with perhaps the most important among them- climate change- being completely out of human control. The world in which the Roman Empire did not fall when it did would be a radically different world from our own in more ways than there just being jet fighters during the crusades.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The speed of overall technological advance wasn't any faster between Augustus and Maximinus Thrax than it was between 1000 and 1250.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Space Monster posted:

Another example of this being BS is the reciprocating (i.e actually useful) steam engine. The processes required to make pistons are derived from the processes needed to make cannon, which required trade with china for gunpowder. Although that's a vast oversimplification.

Scrolls on philosophy and geometry will only take you so far. The lost knowledge (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is more about "what they were thinking" than "what did they know"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Space Monster posted:

A lot of technology wasn't possible without the gradual improvements in metalworking, mining, and so on that took centuries to happen. And the burning of the library or fall of Rome didn't really do anything at all to slow down those improvements that were neccesary for real technological progress to be made.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's worth mentioning that a major cause of death in childbirth pre-surgery used to be cephalopelvic disproportion (fetal head too big to pass through maternal pelvis). This was made more common by poor nutrition, growth disorders, and things like tuberclular deformities of the spine. There's solid evidence of a correlation between maternal height and maternal pelvis size, so an undernourished or overstressed population is going to have more small-pelvised women.

Oh definitely - the diet and health of the mother are very significant factors in a successful birth. Inadequate nutrition and vitamin deficiency can cause a lot of difficulties throughout a pregnancy. But the Romans were very healthy people - they were fed regularly, had clean water, and were fairly hygienic. I don't think that it was a problem that would be common place. Indeed, they may have had an advantage there, in that our contemporary struggle with obesity is causing endemic problems with high blood pressure and diabetes, which can complicate pregnancies. I think that on the whole, Roman women likely had moderately higher risks surviving childbirth than the modern woman - but good birthing practices and a society of younger and healthier mothers would have helped ensure a higher rate of success than one might expect.

DirkGently
Jan 14, 2008

Thanks for correcting me guys, good to know we're not totally in the dark about Greek and Roman music :)

Content: what perception did Romans have of people from different parts of the Empire? For example, were there any qualities or stereotypes associated with Romans from Iberia, Illyria, etc?

I can't really talk about broad scale perceptions (although they definitely had them about other provinces, especially against 'barbarians' from Gaul and Iberia) except the most general ones: Spartan women were known as the best courtesans (basically Roman Geisha), everyone from Thrace was a witch, people from Asia were soft and effeminate. As a side fact, Ovid portrays Roman Jews as a prosletyzing mob who were always bothering you on the way to the market, basically like agressive preachers on a college campus.

Maybe it is not what you are looking for but, if you read the poems of Catullus you also will get some funny insights into Roman prejudices in general. Some tidbits:

[Catullus 39] Spaniards (from Roman Spain) are always trying to show off their glistening white teeth, smiling even at a funeral -- which is odd, since everyone knows that they bleech their teeth with urine.

[Catullus 37] We further learn that the Celt-Iberians are hairy, low class and (incidentally) having sex with Catullus' girl.

[Catullus 84] Everyone knows that to speak with a Greek accent was the height of culture in late Republican Rome -- so some poor rustic yokels think they can mimic it by just adding 'h's to the beginning of all their words ('opportunity' becomes 'hopportunity', which is a pretty good translation of the pun 'commoda' becomes 'chommoda'). Technically they are just adding rough breathings to vowels (which was a thing you could do in Greek but is represented by an actual letter in Latin... well... most of the time anyway).

DirkGently fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 13, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Install Gentoo posted:

A lot of technology wasn't possible without the gradual improvements in metalworking, mining, and so on that took centuries to happen. And the burning of the library or fall of Rome didn't really do anything at all to slow down those improvements that were neccesary for real technological progress to be made.

It also ignores that there was actually a lot of technological progress during the Middle Ages, it was not a stagnant dark age like it's been portrayed for so long.

THAT SAID, in some hypothetical world where the empire remained strong and vibrant across Europe, I suspect there would've been earlier advancement. The Middle Ages were not a dark age but there was disruption. Rome's global trade network would've remained fully intact, for one thing. And there were technologies that were lost, like the steam engine and the mechanical computer. It's possible someone could've realized the potential there. But this discussion isn't far off the possibility of aliens showing up.

I'd say it's nonsense but not entirely nonsense.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Also, despite the Romans' engineering prowess, I figure there would be be a certain limit to technological advancement without the invention of algebra, which (I believe) was an Arab invention, occurring outside of the Roman world.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'm sure there are some higher mathematical concepts that they were lacking, but linear algebra at least had been around since ancient egypt- I'm pretty sure there's an example of it in the Rhind Mathematical Papyruses.

HELLO THREAD READERS one of my more mathematically inclined friends informed me that it is actually line algebra I was talking about; they did not have college-level mathematics in 2000BC

that said they did still have algebra so it's not like my point is moot :mmmhmm:

Koramei fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 3, 2013

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I think the theoretical "bump" we would have enjoyed had the library stood and Rome recovered and transitioned more gradually would is something like 50-200 years depending on the "what ifs" and the point of divergence from history. A world with a strong Western Roman Empire that resists the Arab conquest but does not in turn conquer them could have led to a worldwide golden age with Europe not being as isolated from Baghdad and never losing the classics. Having real links between Baghdad, Constantinople, Rome, and Chang'an would have legitimate potential to alter world history. The fall of the west did effectively isolate Europe from the intellectual advances in the Arab world and who knows what potential inventors or geniuses spent their lives translating the Bible instead of studying algebra in Baghdad.

Enough advances were made that I do not think that stupid graph that claims we would have had cars and planes in 1600 is even remotely right, but a world where the industrial revolution happens in the 1700's or late 1600's is certainly plausible.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The idea of a constant intellectual exchange between Europe, the Middle East, and China is definitely the most likely way things could've been different. All three have examples of amazing advancements that were made and never capitalized on, either because no one knew how or no one saw the potential and they were ignored. Just because Romans treated steam engines as nothing more than a toy doesn't mean the Han would've done the same, for one example.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
For serious though, my understanding of the steam engine situation was that people at the time it was first invented didn't have access to really high quality materials, and that this led to a disinterest in developing it. Steam engines even in the 1700s and 1800s were still prone to blowing out or losing pressure and they had much better metallurgy involved.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

We don't know why no one was interested in developing it further. It just doesn't appear to have occurred to anyone that it had the potential for bigger things.

My pet theory has always been that slave societies have little incentive to work on labor-saving devices so they tend not to industrialize.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Grand Fromage posted:

My pet theory has always been that slave societies have little incentive to work on labor-saving devices so they tend not to industrialize.

I think that there's some meat to this theory, though the obvious counterpoint to be worked around would be Eli Whitney's cotton gin.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

True, though that was probably the most major industrial development of the south and it was entirely to enhance the products of the slave economy.

And, tend not to. :v: No rule is hard and fast. But there is clearly some reason why the south didn't and the north did, and the economy being based on slave agriculture is the only one that makes sense I think.

Let's not get too far down that rabbit hole. I only bring it up because slavery is such a central component of the Roman economic world and the American south is what we're most familiar with in that regard. Though as we've talked about before, big differences between the two institutions.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 13, 2013

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Kaal posted:

I think that there's some meat to this theory, though the obvious counterpoint to be worked around would be Eli Whitney's cotton gin.

Nah, the cotton gin removed the main bottleneck to cotton production (and also had been around for a while, to boot), so adopting the cotton gin meant that slave plantation system could produce a lot more cotton then possible without it. And more cotton meant more cotton for industrial production, more acres brought under production, more money to prop up the new nation.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

We don't know why no one was interested in developing it further. It just doesn't appear to have occurred to anyone that it had the potential for bigger things.

I think it's more that the related underlying technologies hadn't been developed yet. A functional steam engine requires a level of sophistication in metallurgy and fabrication that simply didn't exist in Roman times, and had no reason to exist for another millennium. It's easy to miss the huge number of interrelated and overlapping technologies needed to make even fairly primitive machinery operate reliably.

A big factor in kicking off the industrial revolution in England was the amount of wood they were consuming. By the 18th century, they were genuinely starting to worry about running out. Then they found coal as a substitute. However, coal had to be dug out of the ground and transported, and thus the whole steam era grew out of that.

That sort of pressure didn't exist for the Romans, and steam technology was the solution to a problem they never had.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Also, didn't the Roman Army use something akin to a production line to produce its armor and weapons? Or am I imagining that?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yes, military equipment was mass produced. They also had large water powered factories for some purposes like milling grain. They definitely had some concepts resembling large scale industrial production but it didn't become generalized like it did during the Industrial Revolution.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

And the impression that I'm getting was that it didn't spread because of lack of necessity and not-quite-there materials science. Is that correct?

edit: gently caress, this post sounds like really douchy but that's not my intent, just can't phrase it better.

vv: I fully agree with you, guess I'm just trying to puzzle out the forces that worked against industrialization when it kinda-sorta-if-you-squint-at-it seems like the basic idea was there.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 13, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Those were probably two factors. It's really hard to tell why, we don't know much about it. And reducing it to any single reason is likely wrong.

QCIC
Feb 10, 2011

die Stimme der Energie
"If Julian won..." is my favorite among the late-antiquity speculations. But there's the question of whether Byzantine Christianity would have spread to Western Europe if the Goths had not been converted.

DirkGently posted:

Maybe it is not what you are looking for but, if you read the poems of Catullus you also will get some funny insights into Roman prejudices in general.

43 also gives us some idea of what an urban Roman thought was attractive: "Greetings, girl with a not-so-small nose, not-pretty feet and not-dark eyes, not-long fingers and a not-dry mouth, who is not so eloquent of speech... are you what the provinicals call pretty?"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Grand Fromage posted:

Well the thing is that if you try to develop a steam engine further if your materials aren't good enough, you get a face full of steam and shredded wood/metal/etc. And that's a pretty big disincentive to keep mucking about with your steam engines. :v:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

Well the thing is that if you try to develop a steam engine further if your materials aren't good enough, you get a face full of steam and shredded wood/metal/etc. And that's a pretty big disincentive to keep mucking about with your steam engines. :v:

Iron technology, in particular, was never a priority for the Romans. They stuck with stone because it's what they knew. Iron was difficult to obtain, refine, cast, mill, and all the rest needed for using iron as a structural material, so they never bothered.

If someone had developed, say, the Bessemer process in 100 AD, it might have become a useful metal for them. But again, the Bessemer process itself developed to solve a problem, one the Romans never encountered - making cannons, which you mentioned earlier.

It gets back to technology developing as a way of solving problems. Societies that never face certain problems never have a need to develop a particular technology. The growth of technology is not some externally-driven imperative: it is haphazard and random, with a lot of happy accidents and mistakes.

It's rather like evolution, actually.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Apologies if this has been addressed already, but what's the consensus on Legio IX Hispana? Was it broken to pieces in Britain? Did it continue to exist in some capacity, since senior officers appear in later actions? How often were legions disbanded or reconstituted in the Roman imperial era?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Just harking back to what the guy further up the page said about the loss of knowledge from antiquity, I have an interesting show for you about about how we've developed to the point where we have jet fighters and the entire modern world. James Burke's Connections- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgOp-nz3lHg