Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Mandrel posted:

Weren't the Gamecube and Xbox practically simultaneous? I know the Cube was revealed at Spaceworld, and the Xbox wherever, but I was thinking they were both debuted at the same E3 and had their initial unveilings pretty near to one another

I was like 10 when this all happened but I did watch a recording of the 2001 Nintendo presentation a few months ago and if I hadn't known otherwise I would have assumed the Gamecube debuted there. They went into specs and Miyamoto and Bill Trinen were talking about Luigi's Mansion a lot. Also the crowd freaked the gently caress out at the Melee opening, it was so surreal to see a crowd of people witness it for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
They released in the US two days apart, the Cube had been out in Japan for some time prior. Other than that, tons of consoles were announced near-simutaniously at the early 80s CES's I suppose, the Turbographx and Genisis were probably similar too. Then stuff like the 3DO against the various CD addons consoles were bringing out.

I saw the same video a few days ago, nerdbot. I remember one person's reaction to Pikmin was "wow its round, how many polygons is that?"

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

nerdbot posted:

If they seriously don't make a Mario Paint sequel for the Wii U then the whole system is a loving bust.

Or even better Mario Paint AND Warioware DIY sequel for both Wii U and 3DS. :colbert:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

juicecube posted:

This years e3 regardless will not be one to miss. Has there been a year of two consecutive console reveals like this before?

The first E3 had the Saturn one day and the PlayStation the next.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Random Stranger posted:

The first E3 had the Saturn one day and the PlayStation the next.

That was legendary (to nerds like me). The Saturn's debut event was full of Sega's typical bluster, capped off with the then shocking reveal that it would cost $399. And that it was also already available at some retailers in what would later become a disastrous surprise launch. Immediately afterward, SCEA president Steve Race walks up to the podium with a stack of papers, sets them down and simply says "$299" before walking off the stage to thunderous applause. It was nuts.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Almost Smart posted:

That was legendary (to nerds like me). The Saturn's debut event was full of Sega's typical bluster, capped off with the then shocking reveal that it would cost $399. And that it was also already available at some retailers in what would later become a disastrous surprise launch. Immediately afterward, SCEA president Steve Race walks up to the podium with a stack of papers, sets them down and simply says "$299" before walking off the stage to thunderous applause. It was nuts.

I know, right. It's up there with Kenji Eno (RIP) going up on stage with a PlayStation logo behind him, saying something or other, then having the logo morph into the Saturn logo and announce "WARP will be developing exclusively for the Saturn".

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Almost Smart posted:

Amazingly enough, I was able to find the video on Youtube: http://youtu.be/IFt_g2kMDYg?t=3m18s

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Lego City is the most :3: thing. I'm recognising all these '70s Lego pieces from my childhood. Even the little blocks with the control panels painted on them. Takes me back.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

It is a good game, needs more Blacktron.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

zenintrude posted:

It is a good game, needs more Blacktron.

Hell yeah. And Space Police.

e: They should absolutely do a game for each of the lego themes.

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 13, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I was just about to say, I can see this expanding to something along the lines of Lego Space Adventures and the like.

There are lots of awesome sci-fi references to be made, similar to what Undercover did with cop shows/films.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

They should do a LEGO/K'nex crossover game

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

If only Acclaim were still around, we could look forward to a Mega Bloks game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Reggie Fils-Aime was actually CEO of Mega Bloks before joining Nintendo.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Kickstarter title C-Wars reached its funding. That means it will release for PC/Mac/Linux/Android/3DS/Wii U/Vita/iOS.

It looks like Advance Wars + Fire Emblem + Roguelike.

Also, some guy on IGN claiming to work for Nintendo put out some rumours. Basically, the next Nintendo Direct will be May 30, next 3D Mario will be huge, Retro is doing a futuristic first person game and that Namco might put in Goku into Super Smash Bros. Grain of salt as always.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Also, some guy on IGN claiming to work for Nintendo put out some rumours. Basically, the next Nintendo Direct will be May 30, next 3D Mario will be huge, Retro is doing a futuristic first person game and that Namco might put in Goku into Super Smash Bros. Grain of salt as always.

Well one of those seems a little out of place

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Kickstarter title C-Wars reached its funding. That means it will release for PC/Mac/Linux/Android/3DS/Wii U/Vita/iOS.

It looks like Advance Wars + Fire Emblem + Roguelike.

Honestly it reminds me more of Megaman Battle Network than anything else. Looks pretty neat.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1054244612/c-wars-roguelike-pixel-art-pc-game

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Wait, what? Goku? Well Bandai Namco is also making the PS3/Vita Jump Ultimate Stars successor so I guess they would have the rights but that seems really out of place.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Wait, what? Goku? Well Bandai Namco is also making the PS3/Vita Jump Ultimate Stars successor so I guess they would have the rights but that seems really out of place.

They could charge double price for that poo poo and I'd buy it. Goku DLC 59.99 I would buy that poo poo up hard.

That aside, it's not far out of place. There have been TONS of DBZ games on Nintendo systems, mostly back in the old days for sure but they were there.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Finally we will have an answer to the age old question of who would win a fight between Mario and Goku

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Zeeman posted:

Finally we will have an answer to the age old question of who would win a fight between Mario and Goku

Do you mean Goku and Sonic? Because Sonic beats the poo poo out of Mario flat-out in Brawl.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

That aside, it's not far out of place. There have been TONS of DBZ games on Nintendo systems, mostly back in the old days for sure but they were there.

No, I mean it's kind of out of place in the sense that Goku would be in a Nintendo fighting game. Especially when Sakurai said there's probably not going to be more characters in the next one, although the wording he used could be construed in a number of ways.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zeeman posted:

This is a level beyond Super Mario. I call it Doki Doki Panic.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think he meant more as in total number of characters, not as in no new characters, just cast rotation.

That's so weird though, you'd think someone making up rumors would not throw something that sounds so fake in there., with two "rumors"(Mario big, Retro works on FPS) that are almost just true by statistics alone.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Policenaut posted:

No, I mean it's kind of out of place in the sense that Goku would be in a Nintendo fighting game. Especially when Sakurai said there's probably not going to be more characters in the next one, although the wording he used could be construed in a number of ways.

He should get overruled there.

There should also be unlimited costume options for characters. I should be able to dress Mario as a doctor, referee, wrecking crew, 8-Bit, Paper, etc.

Dec 26, 2012

greatn posted:

I think he meant more as in total number of characters, not as in no new characters, just cast rotation.

This makes infinitely more sense than the alternative, especially given Smash's relevance as cross-promotion.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I could see Smash 4 cutting out characters like Toon Link and Wolf and having a total character count of 40-45 tops, over Brawl's 35.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So it looks like Square won't be making anything for the consoles within the near future.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/13/square-enix-to-focus-on-smartphone-games-as-part-of-future-strategy/

At least there still is Atlus.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 13, 2013

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

WendigoJohnson posted:

So it looks like Square won't be making anything for the Wii-U anytime soon, or any sort of console for that matter:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/13/square-enix-to-focus-on-smartphone-games-as-part-of-future-strategy/

At least there still is Atlus.

Where does it say that anywhere in the article? Stop taking things out of context.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Where does it say that anywhere in the article? Stop taking things out of context.

They said that they're going to focus on phones and tablets, but I don't see how that means they won't put out console/portable releases. It's probably just going to be business as usual, considering the volume of iOS and Android stuff they've released in the last couple of years.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The graph shows that the majority of their budget is going towards cell phone/mobile games. The Green is their projected budget for consoles. They'll still be releasing stuff for consoles it just won't be within the near future. I guess I poorly worded that , I didn't mean that they've stopped releasing console games forever.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Yeah, sounds more like Square Enix just wants to put more focus on the smartphones. Which makes perfect sense for them. I just hope they recognize the value in putting those same smart phone games onto eShop's, for Wii U or 3DS.

I think I spent over $100 on the Wii for Square Enix stuff.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

WendigoJohnson posted:

The graph shows that the majority of their budget is going towards cell phone/mobile games. The Green is their projected budget for consoles. They'll still be releasing stuff for consoles it just won't be within the near future. I guess I poorly worded that , I didn't mean that they've stopped releasing console games forever.

But it doesn't? They're forecasting smartphone/tablet/console growth. Nothing to do with budget.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I think I spent over $100 on the Wii for Square Enix stuff.

How? I thought square just released like two wii games at the 20-30 dollar price point? Stuff like Dragon Quest Swords was like 5-10 dollars a few months or so after launch 6 years ago.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

WendigoJohnson posted:

How? I thought square just released like two wii games at the 20-30 dollar price point? Stuff like Dragon Quest Swords was like 5-10 dollars a few months or so after launch 6 years ago.

More than that.

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Square_Enix_games#Wii

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

WendigoJohnson posted:

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years with all of the scenarios.
Final Fantasy: My Life as a King (purchased some stuff for the game)
Final Fantasy: My Life as a Dark Lord (also purchased stuff for the game)

I'm sure some spent even more with the VC games and maybe even that Tower Defence game Crystal Defenders.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Didn't know they released another Chocobo's Dungeon game in America, although it's a shame that we're probably never going do see Dragon Quest 10 at this point.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

nerdbot posted:

I could see Smash 4 cutting out characters like Toon Link

Toon Link was way better than regular link, so I hope not.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

nerdbot posted:

I could see Smash 4 cutting out characters like Toon Link and Wolf and having a total character count of 40-45 tops, over Brawl's 35.
Losing Wolf would be no tragedy. As for Toon Link, I'm not sure. Wind Waker 10th Anniversary is hitting this year so he might get a reprieve. Lucario will probably be replaced with someone from Pokemon X/Y (or B/W). Ike will probably be replaced with someone from Awakening.

It wouldn't shock me if some of the core twelve were rotated out just to avoid stagnation/predictability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Wouldn't Toon Link be more relevant than ever with Wind Waker HD on the horizon?

• Locked thread