Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Had to look up PAL vs NTSC metroid, it looks mostly the same but is obviously slower for the cutscenes and such when put next to the NTSC one. Bonus "I don't even French and I can tell that's a very terse summary" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Okm8dF55DI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
What's the point of a comparison like that if you don't actually sync up the games at specific events, such as "start of gameplay".

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.
I finally bought a 3DSXL this weekend, and after reading this thread I got Denpa Men for it. Since I'm having such a blast with it, I'll definitely buy the sequel too, but what other games do you guys recommend from the eShop? I've already bought Wario Land 2, Link's Awakening, Adventure of Link, and Harvest Moon.

I like platformers and RPGs, and I have a shameful addiction to Jewel-Quest type games.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The new Ace Attorney game Dual Destinies has been announced for an eShop-exclusive release in the US and Europe this fall.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Still Fluxing posted:

I finally bought a 3DSXL this weekend, and after reading this thread I got Denpa Men for it. Since I'm having such a blast with it, I'll definitely buy the sequel too, but what other games do you guys recommend from the eShop? I've already bought Wario Land 2, Link's Awakening, Adventure of Link, and Harvest Moon.

I like platformers and RPGs, and I have a shameful addiction to Jewel-Quest type games.

If you like Zelda enough to buy Zelda 2, you should know that both of the Oracles (you know, the two GBC games that Capcom developed) will be coming out on the VC later this month. Strangely, their price is still listed as TBD, which probably means they'll be $6 each like Link's Awakening is.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

Laser Spider posted:

If you like Zelda enough to buy Zelda 2, you should know that both of the Oracles (you know, the two GBC games that Capcom developed) will be coming out on the VC later this month. Strangely, their price is still listed as TBD, which probably means they'll be $6 each like Link's Awakening is.

I mostly got Zelda 2 because it's the only 2D Zelda I'd never played. I know it has a pretty bad reputation, but I figured it would still be worth the pittance it cost just to have tried it.:)

I'll definitely be getting the Oracle games when they come out - I already own them on cartridge, but I want a back-up. The reason I finally caved and bought a 3DS to begin with it is that I want to play the LttP sequel once it comes out (pretty par for the course for me; Zelda's the reason I've bought all my other handheld systems too).

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Zelda 2 rules. Stick with it, it starts tough but you get plenty of tools and shortcuts to make it easy as you push through. It's like the game is testing you, and once you pass an obstacle, you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

I only played it for about 15 minutes last night (before I got distracted by the Denpa men), but it seems like it could be fun once I figure out how everything works.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

The game is really tough really early and is incredibly obtuse about where you should go exactly in the beginning ("GO WEST" is Zelda 2-ese for "go Northeast-ish"), but if you stick with it past the first or second dungeon/castle you should have a good idea of whether or not the game is for you. It's my personal favourite LoZ game, but it's a very divisive game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

What's the point of a comparison like that if you don't actually sync up the games at specific events, such as "start of gameplay".

As far as I know, Super Metroid was optimised in a similar manner to Kirby's Adventure - the music was retimed and Samus herself was retimed but everything else runs at the slower PAL speed.

Laser Spider posted:

The JP eShop did a promotion where you could buy 'em as a 1000-yen bundle for a few weeks, so I'm sure we'll get something similar.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I like Zelda 2better than 1, but it does really suffer from the fact that the new items you find are almost all what people refer to as "strangely-shaped keys" rather than new abilities like in most Zelda games. Like the flute, which does nothing but unlock a path and make a dungeon appear, or the raft, which just lets you move from the first overland map to the second, or the hammer, which is literally a key which unlocks some doors on the overworld (including one you can't even see, stupidly enough).

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

elf help book posted:

Zelda 2 rules. Stick with it, it starts tough but you get plenty of tools and shortcuts to make it easy as you push through. It's like the game is testing you, and once you pass an obstacle, you don't have to worry about it anymore.

I felt the opposite about it; I was a total tool and spent about 3 hours one day farming outside Dungeon 2 until my levels were about halfway to max. This made all the dungeons really easy and unstressful, and I just made sure to level up right before I reach the end of a dungeon (where it gives you a free level up).

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
What exactly were the difference between Oracle of Ages and Seasons? I always assumed it was like Pokemon where they were fairly similar.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Nope. Completely different games with some link-up/data transfer functionality between them.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Astro7x posted:

What exactly were the difference between Oracle of Ages and Seasons? I always assumed it was like Pokemon where they were fairly similar.

They're completely different games with different dungeons and everything.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo PAL dudes, the Resident Evil demo is up on the Wii U eShop. 619MB.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
They both even have some different dungeon items. Ages has the more clever items, Seasons have the more direct approach items.

Both are stellar Zelda games, though.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Seasons and Ages aren't just wholly different games, but they even have totally different structures.

Seasons is a lot like the older 2D Zelda games, while Ages is like what you would get if you took a 3D Zelda and made it in 2D. In Seasons you can pretty much go straight from dungeon to dungeon, with little in your way between them aside from enemies and the occasional puzzle, as you could in the NES games and Link to the Past. In Ages you have to complete various tasks in-between dungeons, and it can take you over an hour to get from one dungeon to the next, more like the more modern Zeldas.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

Personally, I've always preferred OoA, because it's more puzzle-based than OoS. On the other hand, OoS has Subrosia going for it... I remember how exciting it was to explore that world the first time I played it.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
I always enjoyed Ages way more. But I can't deny both are fantastic games.

I'm pretty happy they're going to be on the VC soon, Both so I can have them on my 3DS and can play 'em again. And so new people can experience it. I know quite a few people who have never played them, and a lot that assumed it was a pokemon situation where both games were slight variations of the same game.

I hope NOA does the same promotion where you can get both games together for a discounted price, but I'm not going to get my hopes up too high.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah I've never played either of them, so I'm looking forward to being able to grab them.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

gently caress OoT and MM or WW or whatever, Oracle of Ages and Seasons are the best Zelda games and I won't hear anything against it. :colbert:

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

Terper posted:

gently caress OoT and MM or WW or whatever, Oracle of Ages and Seasons are the best Zelda games and I won't hear anything against it. :colbert:

I'm inclined to agree. I mean, I love LttP with all my heart, but the Oracle games actually do have more replay value.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I definitely think they're the best of the 2D Zeldas.

The connectivity between the two is really cool as well.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Honestly, I loved both of the Oracle games, but they're kind of a blur to me. I don't think I ever beat either of them. :psyduck: Needless to say, I'll be grabbing both of them and rectifying that posthaste!

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Regy Rusty posted:

I definitely think they're the best of the 2D Zeldas.

The connectivity between the two is really cool as well.

Have you played all the 2D Zeldas? I will defend Link's Awakening with my life.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've played every Zelda game. Link's Awakening is my least favorite of all of them besides the first two.

It's short and fun and has some good dungeons, but I don't think it measures up to any of the others.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I've played every Zelda game. Link's Awakening is my least favorite of all of them besides the first two.

How is it possible to have such objectively wrong opinions :psyduck:

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Still Fluxing posted:

I mostly got Zelda 2 because it's the only 2D Zelda I'd never played. I know it has a pretty bad reputation, but I figured it would still be worth the pittance it cost just to have tried it.:)

I'll definitely be getting the Oracle games when they come out - I already own them on cartridge, but I want a back-up. The reason I finally caved and bought a 3DS to begin with it is that I want to play the LttP sequel once it comes out (pretty par for the course for me; Zelda's the reason I've bought all my other handheld systems too).

I'll defend Zelda 2 this way: It has a lot of good ideas, and the music is great. If it has any problem, it would be that it kind of drags after a certain point. It's one of the few games I think would be better if you just cut it in half and let it end earlier. You'll get your 5 dollars worth out of it, if nothing else.

BloodDesk UnderHell
Sep 24, 2007

Wow! He licks good boot!
When the Oracles games came out I played Ages first but I was disappointed with the time element. Also, the mermaid's suit was an awful item. I remember wearing my thumb out trying to move around water with that thing. Seasons was much more fun.

Link's Awakening is still the best because you get the Roc's Feather earlier.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I picked up Mario Land 2 on 3DS and I apparently had completely forgotten how floaty the physics in this game are. Is it a low framerate thing?

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I only got to play Seasons as a kid so I'm excited to play Ages for the first time.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I had both, and switched back and forth whenever I got stuck.

I got stuck a lot. :downs: Never finished either one. I'm looking forward to trying again!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Seasons was a cool game but Ages isn't very good.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Terper posted:

Brofist. :hfive:

I wonder how/if they're going to handle the linked game stuff. Weren't there some bits you absolutely HAD to have the link cable for, or was it all password-accessible?

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.

absolutely anything posted:

Seasons was a cool game but Ages isn't very good.

What? They're both awesome. :colbert:

Really want to echo the "best of the 2D Zeldas" thing because yeah, they really might be.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Weren't there some bits you absolutely HAD to have the link cable for, or was it all password-accessible?

I'm pretty sure everything can be done via password.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I liked both games at the time but I don't think they've aged all that well. The novelty of the connectivity features and other stuff like the gashapon trees tends to help gloss over the fact that a lot of parts are kinda dull.

Ciaphas posted:

Brofist. :hfive:

I wonder how/if they're going to handle the linked game stuff. Weren't there some bits you absolutely HAD to have the link cable for, or was it all password-accessible?

Everything can be done with passwords, yeah.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I got both of them in a garage sale 5 or 6 years ago but the battery is dead in one of them (can't remember which) so it'll be nice to actually be able to play BOTH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Anyone who's saying the Oracle games are the best 2D Zeldas must have not played Link to the Past or Link's Awakening anytime recently. Or haven't played through Ages recently to remember what a boring slog that game is. Or are crazy. Or are a combination of any of these.