Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
They finally nerfed the bullshit EW mission! :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
It went from bullshit to hilariously easy. I did it with no healer tanking on Kod with a 100 wizzy and the rest assorted 90-92 tanks that just stood there. Currently one of the easiest RoF missions in the game

^^^ You should actually like, come play again. I'm beast as gently caress now and new guild has 30-40 online at a time with a basic "raid" requirement of one every two weeks, but they last like 2-3 hours and they're hilariously fun.

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 12, 2013

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I really have to wonder how this bank window is usable

Insensative_Asshole
Dec 18, 2007
Does anyone have a high level berserker that can help me with which abilities/discs to use for solo grinding. I have a feeling I'm not playing this class the way it's supposed to be and gimping myself.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

jetz0r posted:

I really have to wonder how this bank window is usable

Whoever this is, I need to rob them for their tradeskill components

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

That's Illa and yeah you do, he's the ticket to a free ride on the shawl train :v:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Give me all your poo poo, Illa. All of the poo poo.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I have a feeling asking for all of your plat would give me the raw end of the deal, but luckily I take Paypal!

SolidMumu
Feb 23, 2012
This may have come up in previous EQ threads, but the tales of Fansy made my day. However, I don't understand all the mechanics he was breaking(I am admittedly an EQ newb). How was he getting the Priest of Discord to kill people? Was he charming the PoD or some other NPC?
Also, I didn't understand how he was preventing people from coming to Luclin. Was this still using the Priest, or was it a separate event?

Anyways, this is worth your time if you've not seen it before.

http://www.notaddicted.com/fansythefamous.php

Also, there is a pretty awesome EQ griefing AMA on Reddit right now. I really enjoyed the NPC war story :v:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gametales/comments/1cy607/everquest_old_stories_and_ama_by_popular_request/

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

jetz0r posted:

I have a feeling asking for all of your plat would give me the raw end of the deal, but luckily I take Paypal!

About three million, or a forums upgrade.

Actually, having the luxury of my presence at your raids is more than enough in payment I would think :smug:. I'm learning how to heal better from your paladins, and I'm switching my AA priorities to healing, even though they were pretty high already. It was hard to justify 7? AA for a 1% chance for a twinheal, but not anymore, since I cast so many of them now.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
He was probably abusing the social aggro tables and low level NPCs. You charm the bard mail lady, attack someone near the PoD and then he sees someone fighting and joins in.

Also a couple of those stories are BS since I'm like 99.9% sure that PC charm didn't work in PVP since early vanilla.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Are you ever gonna come play again or just post :(

Zebiss just apped to my guild so come join us as we quietly goon infiltrate~

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Stanos posted:

Also a couple of those stories are BS since I'm like 99.9% sure that PC charm didn't work in PVP since early vanilla.

I can't speak for red servers, but I know it was working on blue servers well in to Kunark.

Node posted:

About three million, or a forums upgrade.

Actually, having the luxury of my presence at your raids is more than enough in payment I would think . I'm learning how to heal better from your paladins, and I'm switching my AA priorities to healing, even though they were pretty high already. It was hard to justify 7? AA for a 1% chance for a twinheal, but not anymore, since I cast so many of them now.

I will take 3 million for my TS supplies.

Being less lovely is it's own reward!

On single target heals I just consider Twinheal another crit, but on group heals, it's really good because those landing for 2-4x can bring everyone back up with no patch healing. All the levels of Healing Gift 16+ are just a 1% chance to crit and cost about 12 each, while the later levels of Twinheal cost 18. They all need to be bought anyways, healing AAs are my top priority, and should be about #2 for you behind tanking. Plus whatever you need to get for leveling/AA speed.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

SolidMumu posted:

This may have come up in previous EQ threads, but the tales of Fansy made my day. However, I don't understand all the mechanics he was breaking(I am admittedly an EQ newb). How was he getting the Priest of Discord to kill people? Was he charming the PoD or some other NPC?
Also, I didn't understand how he was preventing people from coming to Luclin. Was this still using the Priest, or was it a separate event?

Also, there is a pretty awesome EQ griefing AMA on Reddit right now. I really enjoyed the NPC war story :v:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gametales/comments/1cy607/everquest_old_stories_and_ama_by_popular_request/

Fansy was on one of the Zeks (I know they started on Rallos). In the beginning on PVP servers, you could charm people and send them to attack mobs. It was funny.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda

SolidMumu posted:

On the Zek servers you were immune to PVP at level 5. Level 5 is when bards get Selo's. So Fansy was happily pissing off Sand Giants which are notorious for a) murdering anything near them due to weird aggro mechanics, and b) being level 30-something in a low-mid teens zone, then training them onto anyone in the zone that was an evil race. Sand Giants couldn't catch him, players couldn't kill him. Nothing to do with charm mechanics.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Medullah posted:

Fansy was on one of the Zeks (I know they started on Rallos). In the beginning on PVP servers, you could charm people and send them to attack mobs. It was funny.

Every single time I re-read the Fansy stories I still laugh just as hard as I did when I first read them. I loved how any Priest of Discord would do a zonewide shout whenever he killed someone. I wonder if he still does that, if they are even flagged as attackable anymore.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
You can't even attack them now, unfortunately.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Making certain NPCs unattackable was such a crappy change. I liked it better when NPCs such as Soulbinders just had a ton of hitpoints, or how Nexus spire wizards hit for huge amounts of damage, if I remember it right. I, a rogue, once killed a soulbinder with the help of assassinate (32k backstab), it took ages, but I parsed it at precisely 1 million hitpoints.

Make all NPCs attackable, but just make the not-meant-to-be-killed ones have a ton of hitpoints, be magic immune and hit for insane amounts.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
The Fansy stories are all true, there were weird ways to exploit the alliance type song/spells and charming certain mobs that the PoD considered friendly and would aggro against attackers.

It wasn't about charming players, it was all faction based awesomeness.

The bard stuff was all on Sullon Zek, but Fansy (Blart to his classic fans!) originated on Rallos with Swamp defense.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Flarestar posted:

On the Zek servers you were immune to PVP at level 5. Level 5 is when bards get Selo's. So Fansy was happily pissing off Sand Giants which are notorious for a) murdering anything near them due to weird aggro mechanics, and b) being level 30-something in a low-mid teens zone, then training them onto anyone in the zone that was an evil race. Sand Giants couldn't catch him, players couldn't kill him. Nothing to do with charm mechanics.

Ahhhhh that's right.

My statement is still true though. Old school Rallos was scary.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
God I loved NPCs that were KOS to evil races. There was the Pally or Cleric GM in EC that you could train into the EC tunnel. When you zoned out to NRO it would path back through the tunnel and kill all the evil race people trying to sell their bags of junk.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Yeah, the random gently caress yous this game used to have were amazing. Hill giants, sand giants, griffins, those dark elves in North Ro and West Commons.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
Got my 3 box team to 40 last night while Ben showed me around the newer zones.

Its starting to come back to me slowly, definitely getting that EQ bug biting again though!

What should I be doing as far as gear for the boxes? They all still have their test gear which at this point is 15 levels old.

Should I just keep plowing through up towards the 50's or is there an easy place I can go with Monk/Shaman/Mage

I definitely need a key broadcaster as well, macros are helping but playing 3 people suboptimally has lots of room for improvement and automation.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009
Just keep pushing north through that series of zones. I wouldn't worry too much about gear right now, when you hit 70ish I can copy over some gear for you.

Alternately, do what you want. It's a game, have fun with it!

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

You should be able to find defiant gear in /bazaar that is relatively inexpensive. It also drops at random so be sure to loot all corpses for anything you kill.

You may as well keep leveling. Just do the hot zone quests from Franklin Teek (which will give you a piece of gear, too) until you get to the low 50s which is when stuff will start to get more difficult and then you'll want to concentrate on improving your gear, particularly if you're still using the /testbuff stuff.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

ponzicar posted:

Yeah, the random gently caress yous this game used to have were amazing. Hill giants, sand giants, griffins, those dark elves in North Ro and West Commons.

Dorn

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

ponzicar posted:

I finished making a huge detailed zone level chart of the world the other day, as part of my pet project of creating an EQ encyclopedia website. Check out the insane level spans most of the old zones have:

It's actually incredible so many of the old zones are perfectly fine to level in, at a good pace, if you just have mercs and/or box a lot. You can pretty go from 5-50 in OOT if you want.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pilsner posted:

I finished making a huge detailed zone level chart of the world the other day, as part of my pet project of creating an EQ encyclopedia website. Check out the insane level spans most of the old zones have:

That's part of what I've always loved/hated about EQ. It's so no themepark. It's a world. gently caress your game.

It'd be great in that it was dynamic and interesting. It'd be horrible when you had a group that could do regular mobs fine, but the named would wreck your poo poo. Made for a very interesting game. I assume current zones (like, 80+) are generally much more consistent and narrow in their level band?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

xZAOx posted:

That's part of what I've always loved/hated about EQ. It's so no themepark. It's a world. gently caress your game.

It'd be great in that it was dynamic and interesting. It'd be horrible when you had a group that could do regular mobs fine, but the named would wreck your poo poo. Made for a very interesting game. I assume current zones (like, 80+) are generally much more consistent and narrow in their level band?
Yup. Sadly.

They kept the insane level spans through Kunark, Velous and Luclin. With PoP, it got grossly narrowed down, but that was fair enough. PoP zones were really good and made for high levels all the way. From LoY to around DoD/PoR they were okay at making decent level spans, although of course no newbie zones with the except of the Freeport Sewers.

Next came TSS, which provided a straight level path from 1-75, although zones still had a level span of 15-25 levels or so. TSS is the one with Crescent Reach, Blightfire Moors, etc.; all the current hot zones.

From Secrets of Faydwer and onwards, I have only found 3 zones that have a level span greater than 10. 100% of zones from Underfoot and onwards are within a 10 level span, like level 85-90, 90-95 or level 95-105 for example. Usually it's only because of named mobs being a few levels higher than regular trash that the zone isn't just level X +/- 1.

There's really no going back, and it shows how the treadmill of levels, gear and stats ultimately becomes pointless. I just cherish the fact that EQ has such an incredible amount of content, both old and new (House of Thule was amazing in spite of a tight level span), and that so many old zones still stand to this day. :)

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda

xZAOx posted:

Much narrower band, but named vary widely. Some are pretty easy, some will bend you over.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

MrTheDevious posted:

Are you ever gonna come play again or just post :(

Zebiss just apped to my guild so come join us as we quietly goon infiltrate~

I've been studying for my MCSE and playing League, takes up a lot of time. :x

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Stanos posted:

I've been studying for my MCSE and playing League, takes up a lot of time. :x

Do you miss your head being cut off all the time, or what?

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Im looking for 2 sets of Abstruse for Shaman and a SK on test. Would anyone help me with this? Either copy something over or maybe if you have some on test, I would be willing to pay you a lot, not that cash on test means anything. But I would be willing to buy you one of those Kronos or whatever.

Peechka fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 14, 2013

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Finally finished RoF everything and got mah aug. Evantil 2 sucks cocks n dicks. Only mission that's still remotely hard after the nerfs we just got on Test. Never again, man...never again.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
What were the nerfs? Ive been out of the loop and just started up again.

Edit:

Never mind, I read back and saw the patch notes.

Peechka fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 14, 2013

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Can I do the T1 missions now with just a paladin, shaman, and mercs? Except Calling Phantasm, where you need three real characters.

e: Oh my goodness being able to click through your pets/mercs to loot stuff is the best option since VOA let you use clickies in bags.

Node fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 14, 2013

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Evantil 2 and Chapterhouse 2 still kinda suck, but all the rest are laughable at this point. You can do all the T1 stuff boxing for sure

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

Evantil 2 and Chapterhouse 2 still kinda suck, but all the rest are laughable at this point. You can do all the T1 stuff boxing for sure

What's bad about Evantil 2?

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Theorycrafting a good three-box + mercs combo. Been doing some reading and it seems like dps mercs aren't that great, but healer mercs are fairly viable even for endgame group content, if you have a couple of them and set up the spell blocks etc correctly. It's hard to get a good idea about it since most of the posts are years old.

I'm looking at SHD, SHM, WIZ, Heal merc x2, DPS (or maybe tank) merc. Is this going to work or am I going to get frustrated with the healer mercs? (either because the AI is poo poo or they just don't have the raw throughput needed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Vulpes posted:

Theorycrafting a good three-box + mercs combo. Been doing some reading and it seems like dps mercs aren't that great, but healer mercs are fairly viable even for endgame group content, if you have a couple of them and set up the spell blocks etc correctly. It's hard to get a good idea about it since most of the posts are years old.

I'm looking at SHD, SHM, WIZ, Heal merc x2, DPS (or maybe tank) merc. Is this going to work or am I going to get frustrated with the healer mercs? (either because the AI is poo poo or they just don't have the raw throughput needed).

Who is saying DPS mercs aren't good? The Wiz mercs on burn will out dps just about any group geared dps class on a sustained exp group parse.