Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Heh, my PS3 has been on auto-update for Borderlands 2 for a while. Haven't even touched Hammerlock's DLC yet, I was waiting for a new character class so I wouldn't totally burn out on Borderlands. I guess I'm good, then.

Man, that "setting yourself on fire" class seems so tasty, too, but I'm probably going to go for the one that turns you into a bomb machine and puts YOU into fight for your life when you save someone else. (So if you combo them both, you save your friend, then pull out some dynamite and go running after enemies, hell yeah...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

delpheye posted:

If I had my way, I'd get Krieg to 61 only playing with 3 other Kriegs and no duped gear.
For the record I am down with this.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

What can be expected of these event weekends as far as increased loot and difficulty are concerned? I went to one of the three areas that is supposed to be pumped up and there were zero enemies :confused:

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Ehud posted:

What can be expected of these event weekends as far as increased loot and difficulty are concerned? I went to one of the three areas that is supposed to be pumped up and there were zero enemies :confused:
Was it Thousand Cuts by any chance? Because there's a mission (Rocko's Modern Strife) which removes all human enemies from the map.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Kifisonfire posted:

Was it Thousand Cuts by any chance? Because there's a mission (Rocko's Modern Strife) which removes all human enemies from the map.

You nailed it. That's exactly what it is. Thanks, I'll try one of the other zones!

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Ehud posted:

You nailed it. That's exactly what it is. Thanks, I'll try one of the other zones!
Eridium Blight is a good place to visit since King Mong can spawn, who has a chance to drop the legendary Bandit launcher, Badaboom. Then you can move onto the populated areas for some badass bandits.

Speaking of, 2K relesaed a trailer for Krieg. There's a few quick shots from Tiny Tina's DLC by the looks of things. Looks very D&D. Skeleton enemies and dark areas (Not Hammerlock dark, more like Zed's DLC dark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TwBfybCy6Q

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Kifisonfire posted:

Eridium Blight is a good place to visit since King Mong can spawn, who has a chance to drop the legendary Bandit launcher, Badaboom. Then you can move onto the populated areas for some badass bandits.

Speaking of, 2K relesaed a trailer for Krieg. There's a few quick shots from Tiny Tina's DLC by the looks of things. Looks very D&D. Skeleton enemies and dark areas (Not Hammerlock dark, more like Zed's DLC dark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TwBfybCy6Q

This looks pretty neat and I like how they leaked shots of the new DLC. I've observed the 'Light the fuse' skill in a couple of videos and the damage output looks pretty weak. Combine that with his fire afinity and I was expecting Krieg to be most fun during PT1. This video highlights some other things that might make him useful at higher levels. Bloodsplosion looks pretty cool and sounds like the name of a Dethklok song.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

RVWinkle posted:

This looks pretty neat and I like how they leaked shots of the new DLC. I've observed the 'Light the fuse' skill in a couple of videos and the damage output looks pretty weak. Combine that with his fire afinity and I was expecting Krieg to be most fun during PT1. This video highlights some other things that might make him useful at higher levels. Bloodsplosion looks pretty cool and sounds like the name of a Dethklok song.

Now I feel like they missed the opportunity to name one of his skills "Bloodrocuted." Still at least now I know who I'll be listening to the entire time I play Krieg.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Is it just me or does the difficulty ramp way, way up around level 18-19? I breezed though Wilhelm no sweat and now a single guy will blow though my shields in like one hit and if my Deathtrap isn't up to give me a shield refill I just loving roll over and die.

I thought maybe it was a gun problem so I used one of my golden keys to try and get something to smooth out the curve and it gave me a loving relic. Gosh thanks.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Is it just me or does the difficulty ramp way, way up around level 18-19? I breezed though Wilhelm no sweat and now a single guy will blow though my shields in like one hit and if my Deathtrap isn't up to give me a shield refill I just loving roll over and die.

I thought maybe it was a gun problem so I used one of my golden keys to try and get something to smooth out the curve and it gave me a loving relic. Gosh thanks.
There's a bit of a disconnect in the story mode's difficulty curve right after Wilhelm, and it becomes a chasm around the time you're facing the Exploitation Preserve. I think this is in part to the game assuming that you're doing side-quests all the while and are a few levels ahead of the curve, but hoooly poo poo do guns play into it (doubly so if you're a gunzerker). Try the slots if your guns aren't equal to your level, and check Zed's place if you need a new shield.

If all else fails, just get some goons and grind out some experience somewhere where the drops are close enough to your level.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh, according to one wiki, the chance to hurt yourself with melee attacks as Krieg for the skill Silence the Voices goes down as you rank the skill up. That's good!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

It might be time to respec your skills. Also keep an eye on this thread for more golden key codes. I saved up like 10 keys before I used my first one, and I got two lovely relics too, so I feel your pain :sympathy: Alternatively this might be time to invite some goons to join you for co-op.

Also I wanted to advertise a bit for the IRC channel that's still up. #sa-borderlands on synirc.net There aren't many people in there now but with Krieg coming out tomorrow and some new players looking for games at all hours of the day it might be useful for some of you. One of the people in there also installed a twitter bot that follows all the people who give out golden key codes so you can get them immediately. It also follows a few game news sites so we have other stuff to talk about.

I am really excited about Krieg tomorrow. :neckbeard: I've been staring at his skills all weekend and I still have no idea which tree to pick. They all look fun.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I must be missing something. I spent about an hour last night in Eridium Blight killing bandits, and there weren't any drops. It almost felt like there was less loot than normal. Everything was cash, eridium, or common guns. And I didn't see more badasses than expected either.

I'm just playing locally in co-op with my wife. Somebody mentioned having to play online to get the drops. Do I have to be in an online game with somebody else to get drops? The PS3 itself is connected to the internet, but it's not an online game in the sense that I'm playing with anyone online.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Elephant Ambush posted:

It might be time to respec your skills. Also keep an eye on this thread for more golden key codes. I saved up like 10 keys before I used my first one, and I got two lovely relics too, so I feel your pain :sympathy: Alternatively this might be time to invite some goons to join you for co-op.

Also I wanted to advertise a bit for the IRC channel that's still up. #sa-borderlands on synirc.net There aren't many people in there now but with Krieg coming out tomorrow and some new players looking for games at all hours of the day it might be useful for some of you. One of the people in there also installed a twitter bot that follows all the people who give out golden key codes so you can get them immediately. It also follows a few game news sites so we have other stuff to talk about.

I am really excited about Krieg tomorrow. :neckbeard: I've been staring at his skills all weekend and I still have no idea which tree to pick. They all look fun.

Yeah, I won't be able to get on until 5pm EST tomorrow. :(. I think I'm gonna go with the Mania tree to start out.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Elephant Ambush posted:

Pick "run into dudes and explode" :supaburn:

e: All three trees do look amazing, but remember, you can get "run into dudes and explode" (the most important skill) and then have more then enough points to eventually reach a capstone on another tree and have more left over to play with!

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 13, 2013

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
Krieg's skill trees are online: http://www.borderlands2.com/us/skilltree/psycho-plus.html

And here is the build I'm gonna try for:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
How does elemental effect chance work then? His top right skill in the hellborn tree eventually gives you an extra 200% elemental effect chance, surely 100% would suffice?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

thebardyspoon posted:

How does elemental effect chance work then? His top right skill in the hellborn tree eventually gives you an extra 200% elemental effect chance, surely 100% would suffice?

The math multiplies the base chance, it's not addition. So if all your gear and badass ranks give you a 30% chance of elemental effect to start, a skill adding +100% brings you up to 60% and +200% brings you up to 90%.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

haveblue posted:

The math multiplies the base chance, it's not addition. So if all your gear and badass ranks give you a 30% chance of elemental effect to start, a skill adding +100% brings you up to 60% and +200% brings you up to 90%.

So, you're saying that taking all of those skills in the Mania tree won't increase my melee damage by 430%?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

smashpro1 posted:

So, you're saying that taking all of those skills in the Mania tree won't increase my melee damage by 430%?

Melee damage isn't a chance stat so you really will get 4.3x damage there. That's just my best guess at how a +X% modifier works on a stat that's expressed as a chance to begin with, since thebardyspoon is right that a chance to proc of over 100% is meaningless and they must have set up the numbers like that for a reason.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Melee damage also goes up with your level by default, right? So... this looks like a much crazier, better version of BL1's Brick. With explosions!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
He's like a Bloodshed Assassin, except not useless 80% of the time and also not obnoxiously difficult to use unless you're some kind of spastic super ninja with thumbs of steel.

I love that all three of the capstone abilities interact in really awesome ways. You can be a giant psycho mutant that runs around on fire (and breathing fire, if you like), a giant psycho mutant that causes everyone he hits to explode like a bomb, or a flaming madman who rampages around setting everyone on fire and then they all explode into even more fire and everything is fire all the time forever.

Refused
Sep 6, 2005
Looks like Taste of Blood + Numbed Nerves can give you functional invincibility while on fire and in rampage mode, right? Unless damage reduction is calculated in a not straightforward way. Add Embrace The Pain, Feed The Meat, and a Rough Rider shield to that and you should be pretty tough.

The skill trees look fairly interesting, but I'm still not sure I'm gonna get this DLC. I just don't think I can muster up the desire to play through the regular campaign again after going through it ten times already. Starting again with no skill points or even weapon slots really doesn't sound like much fun.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Just a heads up, in just under an hour (4 PM Eastern/3 Central), 2K is doing a livestream all about Krieg.
http://www.twitch.tv/2k/

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Refused posted:

Starting again with no skill points or even weapon slots really doesn't sound like much fun.

That's the worst thing, waiting til level 5 to get your skill and like 10-12 hours to get all four slots for weapons sucks.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Haven't played this game all year and I'm in the mood to murder billions of dudes as Krieg later tonight or in the morning. What DLC should I grab and has anything major changed after the patches?

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

Haven't played this game all year and I'm in the mood to murder billions of dudes as Krieg later tonight or in the morning. What DLC should I grab and has anything major changed after the patches?

They added a third playthrough, which increases the level cap to 61.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

They added a pack that lets you go up to level 61, it's free if you have the season pass and 400 points/something like that for the PS3. The rest of the DLC is hit or miss, I got the season pass half price and played two of them. They were OK but I probably would have been annoyed if I'd got them full price. The last one will hopefully be a lot better though.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

burntpork posted:

So who's getting krieg day-1 on ps3? I was hoping to do some krieg-only co-op.

I'll be getting Krieg tomorrow. I already found a Legendary mod for him, I think it's mid-upper 20s. Found it during my recent Mechromancer 'let's try a max anarchy build/farm Badass Tokens' run.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Yeesh this bandit gauntlet kill arena thing goes on forever. The bandits aren't even the hard part I just keep barely managing to finish with enough ammo. I hope this assault rifle I get at the end of it is worth it.

I found some pistol that's the most boring looking thing in the world and only has a clip of 3 but it does a ton of damage a shot and is super accurate even with 150 anarchy stacks so I'm just constantly reloading and shooting and aaaaa guys are finally dying fast.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Yeesh this bandit gauntlet kill arena thing goes on forever. The bandits aren't even the hard part I just keep barely managing to finish with enough ammo. I hope this assault rifle I get at the end of it is worth it.

I found some pistol that's the most boring looking thing in the world and only has a clip of 3 but it does a ton of damage a shot and is super accurate even with 150 anarchy stacks so I'm just constantly reloading and shooting and aaaaa guys are finally dying fast.
If you can use it well, the Hail is one of the best assault rifles in the game. It does have a learning curve though.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Huehuehuehue, you know nothing of killing things fast. Once you get the Hail put some points into the close enough skill.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Neo Helbeast posted:

Huehuehuehue, you know nothing of killing things fast. Once you get the Hail put some points into the close enough skill.

Close Enough on an Anarchy build is like training wheels on a Harley. It won't throw you on your rear end if it gets out of control but it just doesn't feel as badass.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

So is there a set time when we all hop on for KRIEG-geddon tomorrow, or is it a come as you will affair?

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Father Wendigo posted:

So is there a set time when we all hop on for KRIEG-geddon tomorrow, or is it a come as you will affair?

I will be online first thing in the morning.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
IF ONE MORE GUY loving BUMPS INTO ME WHEN I TRY TO OPEN SOMETHING OR PICK SOMETHING UP SO I ACCIDENTALLY RELOAD AND LOOSE ALL MY STACKS :ssj:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

IF ONE MORE GUY loving BUMPS INTO ME WHEN I TRY TO OPEN SOMETHING OR PICK SOMETHING UP SO I ACCIDENTALLY RELOAD AND LOOSE ALL MY STACKS :ssj:

I don't know how the console works but you could try binding something else to your reload button so pressing it doesn't reload until you drop a point in Discord (get Discord it's great even without the stack loss protection).

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Discord more, noob :smug:
But seriously, I almost miss the days when I had 150+ anarchy stacks and dreading having to open chests/little boxes for ammo.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You lucky bastards who can actually get enough anarchy stacks to actually worry about losing them. :negative: I haven't been above 150 anarchy since starting UVHM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Speedboat Jones posted:

You lucky bastards who can actually get enough anarchy stacks to actually worry about losing them. :negative: I haven't been above 150 anarchy since starting UVHM.

If you're having a hard time building momentum you can get a fast-reloading Jakobs shotgun and farm up about 100 stacks of Anarchy off the target practice guy in Marcus's place and then use those 100 stacks to go wild like before. It's a little boring but it's an option.

• Locked thread