Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PunkBoy posted:

Roy's father having angel wings is a simplistic idea that Elan would believe.

It's also a shortcut for "now he is allowed to proceed to Elysium proper" as the fulfillment of his sacred oath allows him to move on and not stay stuck in the waiting cloud forever.

The previous page showed Roy was affected, and the illusion here is in the same continuity. Either it's still Roy's illusion (the Scrooge McHaley scene would fit with the opinion he has of the party rogue) or it's communal (and Belkar is still hallucinating being dead, possibly as a ghost so he can watch what happens next).

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

PunkBoy posted:

Huh, maybe my prediction from before will come true. I will agree that this is most likely only Elan's illusion. Roy's father having angel wings is a simplistic idea that Elan would believe. How he actually knows how Roy's father looks (or if he just guessed "Roy with a white beard"), is an issue, though.

that actually would stick with the happy ending for him only if the others had different illusions like the party geting gibbed from the lich, but since roy seems happy enough in the realworld shot I doubt it.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Umbra Dubium posted:

We call these people "bad at storytelling". :colbert:

Or "Mookie".

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

greatn posted:

Not necessarily, a lot of creators make the narrative as they go along, planning little in advance.

If you do that you end up with The Walking Dead, as opposed to Battlestar Galactica

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

In the commentary for the Oracle strips, Rich says he included Elan's question to reassure readers that at the end of the day the comic was going to have a happy ending, even if other characters died or if the story had a few twists in it. I don't think it was a set-up for (another) devious trick or fake-out or whatever.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

peak debt posted:

If you do that you end up with The Walking Dead, as opposed to Battlestar Galactica

BSG did a lot of this too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

peak debt posted:

Battlestar Galactica was definitely made up arc to arc, it wasn't planned out like Babylon 5 or anything.

Aside from that, the point that all fiction is predestined and that having a prophecy only spreads that predestination to the characters misses one major thing: it also spreads knowledge of predestination to the reader/watcher, and gives everything an additional unnecessary layer of suspension of disbelief.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I've always felt that the "out" with Elan's fate being that he'd be happy pretty much no matter what happened, as long as it was narratively relevant. Like, if he died to protect Haley, or any of his friends/family, or the entire world, or pretty much any number of things where he gets to be heroic in some fashion. So when his story ends, it's happy. With no indication of what the relative state of whatever happens later.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

greatn posted:

Battlestar Galactica was definitely made up arc to arc, it wasn't planned out like Babylon 5 or anything.

Aside from that, the point that all fiction is predestined and that having a prophecy only spreads that predestination to the characters misses one major thing: it also spreads knowledge of predestination to the reader/watcher, and gives everything an additional unnecessary layer of suspension of disbelief.

Right. Remind me what the Cylons' "plan" was, again?

I've personally gotten really tired of prophecies in fiction. It seemed novel the first series I ran into with it (which happened to the Sword of Truth series), especially when the apparently obvious prophecy was subverted. I even got tired of that, too. I just don't understand why it crops up so often - is it just a really easy way of raising the stakes of a story?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

morcant posted:

I've personally gotten really tired of prophecies in fiction. It seemed novel the first series I ran into with it (which happened to the Sword of Truth series), especially when the apparently obvious prophecy was subverted. I even got tired of that, too. I just don't understand why it crops up so often - is it just a really easy way of raising the stakes of a story?

That is one of the many reason it can be used, yes. The main use of a vague prophecy, however, is to excite the imagination with howand when it is going to be fulfilled. It's a lot like a story told in flashback: you know the outcome, but how the outcame came to be. Used badly, it defuses all tension, used well, it opens up a wide range of speculation and expectation in readers.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The only way it works for me is when the time frame between the prophecy being made and the prophecy being fulfilled is very short. For example "Future Echoes" the second episode of Red Dwarf.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

morcant posted:

Lazy writers often use it as a substitute for actual character motivation. It's far simpler to go "the hero must follow the quest because the gods have decreed it" than to establish his reasons to actually want to do it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Cat Mattress posted:

The previous page showed Roy was affected, and the illusion here is in the same continuity. Either it's still Roy's illusion (the Scrooge McHaley scene would fit with the opinion he has of the party rogue) or it's communal (and Belkar is still hallucinating being dead, possibly as a ghost so he can watch what happens next).
Belkar's had a serious case of character development and hates his own guts because he feels unworthy of Durkon's sacrifice, I have zero qualms with believing that his version of a happy ending right now is "I die in the final battle and my friends mourn me".

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Remember that OotS is at its core still a D&D parody, and the oracle is clearly lampshading the usual D&D's stories heavy reliance on prophecies. The whole situation is even meta-ironic since unlike the typical ironic prophecy that is technically true but completely fucks over the guy that hears them, here the oracle actually _wants_ to help the party but they keep messing the questions up or stab the oracle before he can say anything useful.

Theler
Aug 8, 2009
I noticed that in Roy's illusion he used the spell disruption feat he learned during his visit in heaven: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0600.html
I assume that means he actually knows it in "real life" right now. I am curious how effective it will be in a real scenario.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Theler posted:

I noticed that in Roy's illusion he used the spell disruption feat he learned during his visit in heaven: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0600.html
I assume that means he actually knows it in "real life" right now. I am curious how effective it will be in a real scenario.

Probably not as effective as he hopes & (apparently) dreams.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

peak debt posted:

Remember that OotS is at its core still a D&D parody, and the oracle is clearly lampshading the usual D&D's stories heavy reliance on prophecies. The whole situation is even meta-ironic since unlike the typical ironic prophecy that is technically true but completely fucks over the guy that hears them, here the oracle actually _wants_ to help the party but they keep messing the questions up or stab the oracle before he can say anything useful.

Oh, completely. Lampooning the whole dumb trend is fine, I was more wondering why so many non-comedy fantasy settings do it since it seems to crop up in almost every series I read.

I did notice that in one of the panels, Haley's shooting Tsukiko. None of the Order actually knows she's dead as far as I can recall. So many awesome little details - Rich is wonderful.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

morcant posted:

This is pretty apt because I deeply enjoyed the miniseries and roughly half of the first season of BSG, but my interest dropped like a rock as the prophecy nonsense and Tricia Helfer's horrible character gained prominence over politics and espionage. I asked the BSG thread "is this mystic crap all a big misunderstanding or red herring?", they said no, and I didn't even start the second season.

I don't have anywhere near the same problem with OotS though, because the prophecies don't come within a mile of driving the plot, they're primarily fuel for reader speculation.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NihilCredo posted:

This is pretty apt because I deeply enjoyed the miniseries and roughly half of the first season of BSG, but my interest dropped like a rock as the prophecy nonsense and Tricia Helfer's horrible character gained prominence over politics and espionage. I asked the BSG thread "is this mystic crap all a big misunderstanding or red herring?", they said no, and I didn't even start the second season.

I don't have anywhere near the same problem with OotS though, because the prophecies don't come within a mile of driving the plot, they're primarily fuel for reader speculation.

Rich is also keenly aware of all the tropes around prophecy, and plays with reader expectations like a motherfucker. He totally put that title on the most recent strip to gently caress with people about whether it's Elan's happy ending, but I'm 99% certain it's not - it would be cheap. And Rich is never cheap (I don't think so, anyway - any counterexamples?).

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

NihilCredo posted:

Uh wow. I really recommend you try to finish the series. It gets pretty drat amazing, and it does still involve a lot of politics and intrigue.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Rich is also keenly aware of all the tropes around prophecy, and plays with reader expectations like a motherfucker. He totally put that title on the most recent strip to gently caress with people about whether it's Elan's happy ending, but I'm 99% certain it's not - it would be cheap.
I'm expecting Elan to pick up on the "happy ending" implications as well, ratcheting up his anxiety quite a bit. I am still expecting Elan to get a genuinely happy ending, although now Rich has an out for making it bittersweet. Plus now GitP nerds can't go all in his face with how it's not a real happy ending for Elan because of blah blah blah.

quote:

And Rich is never cheap (I don't think so, anyway - any counterexamples?).
A little nitpicky but I thought the Vaarsuvius' "four words" aspect of the prophecy was a bit of a cop out.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

Good stopping points are, in my opinion, halfway through season three, halfway through the last season, or not watching the last episode. The mystical stuff does get really tiresome, but I'll echo ShadowCatboy's sentiment that there are still really great moments in there. I'd encourage you to at least trying to make it through season 3.0, or whatever dumb name they gave the first half to get more DVD sales.

One of the things I'm getting out of this thread is just how meta Rich really is, which is a wonderful extra layer of complexity. Slapping down his spergy fans is also a plus, and I thank you brave goons who wade into his forums for the greater amusement of all. :allears:

e: I suck at grammar today

reitetsu fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 14, 2013

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Trapezium Dave posted:

A little nitpicky but I thought the Vaarsuvius' "four words" aspect of the prophecy was a bit of a cop out.

Interesting. Why that bit specifically? Not sure I'd call it cheap myself, since it was rooted in V's personality flaws (repeating the 'I' is significant) rather than being a deus ex machine or rear end-pull. I guess having the repeated 'I' count as a word is a bit woolly.

Personally, though I know that's not what Rich has said they were, I have always liked 'Disintegrate. Gust of Wind.' as the four words - it actually checks out since they're the right words (they accomplish what is needed for the strip, and for the group) to the right being (Kubota was unquestionably villainous) for the wrong reasons (V knew none of this stuff and just did it on a hunch). And it sets him directly on the path to getting ultimate power.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Interesting. Why that bit specifically? Not sure I'd call it cheap myself, since it was rooted in V's personality flaws (repeating the 'I' is significant) rather than being a deus ex machine or rear end-pull. I guess having the repeated 'I' count as a word is a bit woolly.
It's been a while since I've read it and I'd have to dig up too many strips to confirm all of this so I might get some details wrong, but this is what I remember.

The prophecy was something like "How do I achieve ultimate arcane power?" "By saying the right four words to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons". The nitpicky part is that the emphasis on the "right four words" meant it was going to be a dramatically powerful moment, and having a repeated "I" in there count as a word lessened the power.

But I also had an issue with the "all the wrong reasons" part. The wrong reason is that V is doing it because V wants to do everything solo out of hubris (goddamn is it hard to write about V without pronouns). However in the situation V was in, where a dragon is about to murder V's spouse and children and bind their souls for eternity, going with the soul splice was still the best option available. The Fiends did this counter-example where V could solve the problem through a series of convoluted steps that started with self-decapitation which was total bullshit and proved nothing. The problem wasn't with V taking the soul splice, it was when V revelled in the power and took it way too far, which became evident a few strips later.

Mostly it comes down to the dramatic timing. If it was a clear four words that clearly showed right at that moment that V was doing it for selfish reasons then it would have a lot more punch. I know that is what Rich was going for with the repeated "I" and the framing with the Fiends, but it didn't work as well with me as I think it could have.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trapezium Dave posted:

But I also had an issue with the "all the wrong reasons" part. The wrong reason is that V is doing it because V wants to do everything solo out of hubris (goddamn is it hard to write about V without pronouns). However in the situation V was in, where a dragon is about to murder V's spouse and children and bind their souls for eternity, going with the soul splice was still the best option available. The Fiends did this counter-example where V could solve the problem through a series of convoluted steps that started with self-decapitation which was total bullshit and proved nothing. The problem wasn't with V taking the soul splice, it was when V revelled in the power and took it way too far, which became evident a few strips later.

The point was that V flat-out was told he had other choices. Convoluted or no, she still considered it a valid choice and he still made the decision to obtain power. That is why her decision was for the wrong reason. It may have been for a good cause but it wasn't made in good faith.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The point was that V flat-out was told he had other choices. Convoluted or no, she still considered it a valid choice and he still made the decision to obtain power. That is why her decision was for the wrong reason. It may have been for a good cause but it wasn't made in good faith.
I get that and I agree that the prophecy was fulfilled, but my opinion is that it would have been a lot more dramatically powerful moment if V actually a viable alternative to reject for personal power instead of a ridiculous one that only underlines that an exhausted V wasn't thinking clearly.

It's only an issue for that moment though because V goes on to prove it's all about the power as soon as the dragon is neutralised.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Umbra Dubium posted:

We call these people "bad at storytelling". :colbert:

It's, uh...bit of both. You plan the outline of the story but it evolves even as you write it. That's how it is for me and a lot of other webcomicers. I've been told that if the story doesn't take on a life of its own as you write it, you're not being good ''enough.''

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Trapezium Dave posted:

I get that and I agree that the prophecy was fulfilled, but my opinion is that it would have been a lot more dramatically powerful moment if V actually a viable alternative to reject for personal power instead of a ridiculous one that only underlines that an exhausted V wasn't thinking clearly.

It's only an issue for that moment though because V goes on to prove it's all about the power as soon as the dragon is neutralised.

This whole time, I thought V said "I must fix everything" instead of "I have to fix everything" in this comic, and that was the four words. That is to say, that the mistake was V's choice to fix "everything" with the ultimate power, not just to take the most reliable way to save her family.

This way is significantly less cool, too bad.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So we're not counting the entire chain of events and motivations leading up to the decision as within the scope of the prophecy? For me 'the wrong reasons' include the arrogance and self-serving nature that leads to leaving the boat, leaving the team and even leaving the family unprotected -let alone not returning home to a master who would have helped with the incredibly important quest- without any concern that actions might have negative repercussions. There are reasons past "my family is in danger, so I must"

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

So we're not counting the entire chain of events and motivations leading up to the decision as within the scope of the prophecy? For me 'the wrong reasons' include the arrogance and self-serving nature that leads to leaving the boat, leaving the team and even leaving the family unprotected -let alone not returning home to a master who would have helped with the incredibly important quest- without any concern that actions might have negative repercussions. There are reasons past "my family is in danger, so I must"
Taken as a whole, V's character arc of self-destruction through arrogance is fine. It's the phrasing of the prophecy, highlighting the part where V says the "right four words", that slightly bugs me. Maybe if the "four" had been dropped ("say the right words") it could be more readily interpreted as V doing the right thing at that moment but for completely the wrong motivation, putting more emphasis on the whole sequence.

I'm being nitpicky as all hell I guess. I think I'm mostly irked because the prophecy puts the emphasis on that one moment when a whole bunch of much more powerful dramatic moments follow very soon afterwards.

I should read that section again. I've even got a copy of "Don't Split the Party" but I haven't got round to reading it yet.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

How he actually knows how Roy's father looks (or if he just guessed "Roy with a white beard"), is an issue, though.
Didn't he meet him after the trial, when Eugene turned off the Angel of Justice or whatever illusion?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

mmkay posted:

Didn't he meet him after the trial, when Eugene turned off the Angel of Justice or whatever illusion?

No, only Roy and Haley were around for that.

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010

Trapezium Dave posted:

Taken as a whole, V's character arc of self-destruction through arrogance is fine. It's the phrasing of the prophecy, highlighting the part where V says the "right four words", that slightly bugs me. Maybe if the "four" had been dropped ("say the right words") it could be more readily interpreted as V doing the right thing at that moment but for completely the wrong motivation, putting more emphasis on the whole sequence.

I'm being nitpicky as all hell I guess. I think I'm mostly irked because the prophecy puts the emphasis on that one moment when a whole bunch of much more powerful dramatic moments follow very soon afterwards.

I should read that section again. I've even got a copy of "Don't Split the Party" but I haven't got round to reading it yet.
Yeah you're being nitpicky as all hell, but I get what you mean. V didn't seal the deal by saying those four words, they weren't that important for that moment. Touching the orb sealed the deal, and arguably the whole conversation leading up to that moment was much more important, as well as all the events leading up to it. The prophecy itself didn't bother me that much though, because prophecies in fiction are known to be fuzzy (and often, anticlimatic) like that.

I have the best taste in this whole damn place

PunkBoy posted:

Huh, maybe my prediction from before will come true. I will agree that this is most likely only Elan's illusion. Roy's father having angel wings is a simplistic idea that Elan would believe. How he actually knows how Roy's father looks (or if he just guessed "Roy with a white beard"), is an issue, though.

It's not all Elan's illusion, because if it were then Roy would be getting along with his sister instead of being smug at her disapproving of the statue of him.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Message posted:

It's not all Elan's illusion, because if it were then Roy would be getting along with his sister instead of being smug at her disapproving of the statue of him.

It's a collaborative fantasy. Everyone contributes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Angry Avocado posted:

V didn't seal the deal by saying those four words, they weren't that important for that moment.
I sort of agree with the "four words" thing being a bit of a copout but then I think, that's where the oracle being a dick comes in again. He could have said "you're gonna touch the wrong set of balls" or something but he always takes great care to make his prophecies just this side of unhelpful.

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

I sort of agree with the "four words" thing being a bit of a copout but then I think, that's where the oracle being a dick comes in again. He could have said "you're gonna touch the wrong set of balls" or something but he always takes great care to make his prophecies just this side of unhelpful.
But he also could've used the much more ambiguous "You're going to do the right thing [for the wrong reasons]".

No balls need to be involved :v:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

my dad posted:

It's a collaborative fantasy. Everyone contributes.

Quit deprotagonizing Roy, dammit :spergin:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

If it was a collaborative fantasy then at a bare minimum Belkar would have kept Mr. Scruffy alive, even if he had somehow been OK with biting it, and even if his knowledge of what really happened to Durkon hadn't been part of the dream. Elan would have had both his parents present and reconciled, instead there's only the one Roy has met; this isn't anywhere near as big as the problems with Belkar, though.

It's very very obviously Roy's fantasy, I'm baffled people can think otherwise. Besides, it would be really counterintuitive for the dream trap to take all targets and affect them collectively, instead of individually affecting everyone who fails his saving throw.

By the way, I'm going to throw my hat on how they will escape the trap: Mr. Scruffy is unaffected and forcefully wakes up Belkar (or someone else, but likely Belkar). Kinda dull, I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Has Rich actually confirmed that those four words were the words referred to in the prophecy?