Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Any of you Bay Area goons know where I can rent a motorcycle in San Francisco for a few days? One of my friends is coming to town and we wanted to do a weekend trip or something. What's a reasonable price for this kind of thing? Maybe I should just buy another bike :getin:

Edit: it's not allowed to be cooler than my SV

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
There's a few rental places out there - search n BARF. But theyre going to be expensive.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Pissingintowind posted:

Any of you Bay Area goons know where I can rent a motorcycle in San Francisco for a few days? One of my friends is coming to town and we wanted to do a weekend trip or something. What's a reasonable price for this kind of thing? Maybe I should just buy another bike :getin:

Edit: it's not allowed to be cooler than my SV

I think you should buy another bike. Get the title signed by the seller, but don't sign it yourself. Buy it, post an ad immediately for buying price minus comparable rental cost. Sell at the end of your trip. Could go wrong in so many ways, but it would be cool to pull off.

Hell I bet you could show up at this guy's place with the tools you keep on your belt and ride off: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3799581336.html

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Well, looks like I'll be off the roads for a bit soon, got my first speeding ticket and it was a corker, 64 in a 35 zone (35 is the maximum speed limit anywhere here, in the mainland UK this road would be a 55 easy).

Got stuck behind a learner driver for about half a mile through tight corners, so when we got to a big empty straight I opened it up and overtook with authority. Got round the next corner and there was a bike officer waiting to flag me down, there was apparently a covert speed trap on the straight and he caught me right on the overtake. I've never even heard of a covert speed trap before, I thought they had to show you the readings and such.

Probably looking at a fine and 1-3 months off the road depending on how lovely a judge I get. I'm mostly just bummed about the prospect of not riding for any length of time, I'm going to lose my mind.

:smith:

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

ReelBigLizard posted:

Well, looks like I'll be off the roads for a bit soon, got my first speeding ticket and it was a corker, 64 in a 35 zone (35 is the maximum speed limit anywhere here, in the mainland UK this road would be a 55 easy).

Got stuck behind a learner driver for about half a mile through tight corners, so when we got to a big empty straight I opened it up and overtook with authority. Got round the next corner and there was a bike officer waiting to flag me down, there was apparently a covert speed trap on the straight and he caught me right on the overtake. I've never even heard of a covert speed trap before, I thought they had to show you the readings and such.

Probably looking at a fine and 1-3 months off the road depending on how lovely a judge I get. I'm mostly just bummed about the prospect of not riding for any length of time, I'm going to lose my mind.

Jump a ferry, open the bike the gently caress up down South while you wait for your trial?

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

ReelBigLizard posted:

Sucks. Shoulda made a break for the county line. I saw the Duke boys get away with it dozens of times.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I made my girlfriend get a white helmet and told her it was because it's the most visible color. Really, I just thought it was hilarious that it made her head look like a gigantic ping pong ball.

I a terrible person.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ReelBigLizard posted:

You live in an area with a general max speed of 35? You haven't lost your mind already?

Good luck though, is it worth it to hire a traffic lawyer?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Gweenz posted:

Sucks. Shoulda made a break for the county line. I saw the Duke boys get away with it dozens of times.

In his case the county line is the Atlantic. Reel lives on a little island in euroland.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
loving flat tires.

Last week I had a flat. Couldn't find it through the dirt so I limped home from gas station to gas station. When I finally got a look something sliced through between the tread blocks. Plugged it and had no problems this week.

Today I go for a nice ride in the country practicing my "adventure" riding (standing up and going through puddles mainly.) It was getting late so I took off down a nice paved road home (about 35 miles from home.) The handling starts sucking so I pulled over and... another hole. Again, something cut into the tire, this time it was in an actual block. I was able to find it due to the slime squirting out of the tire that I used last week in a desperate attempt to make it home (it worked that time.)

Okay, this will be easy. I pull out my tire equipment and get to (rope)plugging it. All the while I think how nice it'll be that I installed a 12v power outlet and I can just plug my compressor into it. I pulled it out only to see the end was mangled. First, I thought I'd break apart my usb adapter and do some magic to make the air compressor work. Didn't work. I had to cut the end off of it and hook it straight to the battery. That worked. While I turned the compressor off for a minute only to hear the hiss of air leaking out of the tire. The hole was bigger than one plug could handle. I should have put another plug in then, but it didn't occur to me. Instead, I once again limped home going from 40 psi to 15 psi about five times.

Finally when I got home I get a chance to actually look at it and went ahead a stuck another plug in it. We'll find out in the morning if it holds. Yes, I'm going to buy a new tire (only 700 miles the last week on this one.)

I keep correct air pressure in my tires. It's just bad luck and what happens out on country roads. There is a cut mark in a nearby tread. I'm guessing I ran over the bottom of a beer bottle

That's my dumb tire story for the day.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Xovaan posted:

I made my girlfriend get a white helmet and told her it was because it's the most visible color. Really, I just thought it was hilarious that it made her head look like a gigantic ping pong ball.

I a terrible person.

YESSSSSS! I dis the same thing.
White AGV K3. she looks like an ALIEN!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Xovaan posted:

I a terrible person.

nsaP posted:

In his case the county line is the Atlantic. Reel lives on a little island in euroland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PFhsUWAmzY&t=242s

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Our girlfriends are, indeed, surrounded by assholes. :sun:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I have a white helmet. :saddowns:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

I have a white helmet. :saddowns:

Ergo you are now Xovaan's girlfriend. My logic is flawless, sorry man.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You live in an area with a general max speed of 35? You haven't lost your mind already?

Supermoto makes it bearable. In fairness many roads are worthy of 35mph limits, they're very narrow and twisty with high walls and hedges.

At the prices for lawyers here it would definitely not be worth even consulting one. Not that there is much they could do anyway, it was a fair cop, I was speeding, they caught me. Besides, I have a plan for alternative transport...

I have one of these
Add one of these
...and some of these

So long as I keep the pedals it's legal to use on the roads without a license...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I would have killed someone years ago if I had to live in a place with a blanket 35mph speed limit.

The fastest thing I would own in a place like that would probably be a scooter, and that's stretching it.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Hmmm...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Welp, thank you motorcycle karma - for taking the piss out of my colleague's fuel pump woes, I get slapped with what seems like a broken throttle sensor, which on a fly-by-wire bike is a bit of a problem - and of course it happened right in the middle of a busy junction in the middle of rush hour on a Monday morning.

Bike's in the shop now, looks like my "buy a naughty exhaust and some new suspension" fund is going to take a battering.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Welp, thank you motorcycle karma - for taking the piss out of my colleague's fuel pump woes, I get slapped with what seems like a broken throttle sensor, which on a fly-by-wire bike is a bit of a problem - and of course it happened right in the middle of a busy junction in the middle of rush hour on a Monday morning.

Bike's in the shop now, looks like my "buy a naughty exhaust and some new suspension" fund is going to take a battering.

Harley?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I think he's got a Shiver.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Shimrod posted:

I think he's got a Shiver.

Correct.

Fly-by-wire in this context does not mean "the throttle cable is made of baling wire", TYVM :colbert:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, an London/Home Counties goons who fancy pointing and laughing at hipster bike projects (although some non-hilarious custom builders will also be there apparently), the Shoreditch Bike Shed are holding an event this weekend. I'll be heading up on Sunday so I can build up a good head of rage by visiting Brick Lane Market to see how much more badly the Hoxton cunts have hosed that place up, drop me a PM or something if anyone fancies meeting up.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Fly-by-wire in this context does not mean "the throttle cable is made of baling wire", TYVM :colbert:

Harleys have been ride-by-wire since 2008.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, an London/Home Counties goons who fancy pointing and laughing at hipster bike projects (although some non-hilarious custom builders will also be there apparently), the Shoreditch Bike Shed are holding an event this weekend. I'll be heading up on Sunday so I can build up a good head of rage by visiting Brick Lane Market to see how much more badly the Hoxton cunts have hosed that place up, drop me a PM or something if anyone fancies meeting up.

I'm up for that, I haven't been out to Sunday up market for ages. I'll pm you my email address. They really cleaned the whole neighbourhood up prior to the Olympics, but most of the vendors are the same as they were 5 years ago. Even the food is slightly less salmonella-y!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

I'm up for that, I haven't been out to Sunday up market for ages. I'll pm you my email address. They really cleaned the whole neighbourhood up prior to the Olympics, but most of the vendors are the same as they were 5 years ago. Even the food is slightly less salmonella-y!

I actually worked on Brick Lane Market in my teens, selling pirated Spectrum, Commodore and Atari games out of a suitcase (yes I'm old, shut up). I consider any stall up there not selling stolen goods to be a lovely Hoxton sellout, frankly.

PM received, I'll drop you a line.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

If you can look at this and not hear the Wicked Witch theme from The Wizard of Oz in your head, you... probably grew up somewhere where they didn't play it a bunch on TV.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I actually worked on Brick Lane Market in my teens, selling pirated Spectrum, Commodore and Atari games out of a suitcase (yes I'm old, shut up). I consider any stall up there not selling stolen goods to be a lovely Hoxton sellout, frankly.

PM received, I'll drop you a line.

I think they moved all the dodgy gyppos selling dodgy poo poo on the bridge up to the side of Shoreditch station. Last I saw it was all hot food stalls on the bridge. You can still buy your choice of dvds off a blanket though.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Valve checks are done and everything is within spec. Made sure to let it sit overnight & cool down before taking the valve cover and crank cover off and taking the measurements. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Just time consuming, is all. I took a few pictures of the bike disassembled but haven't had a chance to pull them onto my computer.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Phy posted:

If you can look at this and not hear the Wicked Witch theme from The Wizard of Oz in your head, you... probably grew up somewhere where they didn't play it a bunch on TV.

I want a racing series with these, and the little 50cc bicycle motors you strap into bike frames.

It would be HILARIOUS.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
A local paper has a big article about the Wisconsin chapter of ABATE. It turns out they get large donations from Hupy and Abraham and other personal injury firms to go out and be useful idiots. The comments also have the old helmets break more necks then they save lives argument, which is my favorite.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Abate is the dumbest poo poo ever, and Wisconsin, home of the drunken poker run will be the last place to get helmet laws. As a wi resident it's completely frustrating.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Pope Mobile posted:

Valve checks are done and everything is within spec. Made sure to let it sit overnight & cool down before taking the valve cover and crank cover off and taking the measurements. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Just time consuming, is all. I took a few pictures of the bike disassembled but haven't had a chance to pull them onto my computer.

Have you read anyone who had valves out of spec? I'm only at 16k so I have at least another year, maybe 2 depending on how much I ride. I don't know if I've read anyone who actually had to adjust them yet though from the forums I've skimmed. Knock on wood but this motor has been pretty hassle free for me.

ed: VVV Sorry we're having a bit of FZ6 brah side chat.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 13, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Any kind of bike in particular? But yes, valves going out of spec certainly happens.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I haven't yet. Of all the threads I've read on FZ6-forums about checking valve clearances, no one's had them out of spec.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
They're not usually out of spec but you'll end up with the rare bike that was too tight from the factory and that's what you're looking out for.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Pope Mobile posted:

What kind of bike did you do it on? I've been meaning to do the same for my '04 R1150R but my dad having to go in the hospital and then my having (planned) surgery has thrown a monkey wrench into the works. If your bike is a BMW I'd love to see the pics.

I'm a bit nervous about the whole affair. :byodood:

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

A local paper has a big article about the Wisconsin chapter of ABATE. It turns out they get large donations from Hupy and Abraham and other personal injury firms to go out and be useful idiots. The comments also have the old helmets break more necks then they save lives argument, which is my favorite.

Good article; I didn't know about personal injury attorneys donating to ABATE. I'd be interested to know if any motorcycle manufacturers donate money to ABATE as well.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

MoraleHazard posted:

What kind of bike did you do it on? I've been meaning to do the same for my '04 R1150R but my dad having to go in the hospital and then my having (planned) surgery has thrown a monkey wrench into the works. If your bike is a BMW I'd love to see the pics.

2009 Yamaha FZ6. It seems like a huge undertaking with the amount of work, but it's all taking stuff apart and putting it back together. Measuring the clearances doesn't take long.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

MoraleHazard posted:

This is just about the easiest bike to do it on, don't be nervous! My wife does hers every oil change. Make sure to do a TB sync as well - the bike will run super smooth after that.

https://www.r1150r.net/pics/techtips/Valveadjustmentprocedure.doc

The tappet screws are circled in this photo:

(yours may differ slightly, this is a 2002)

The main bit once you open it up and put it at TDC is loosening the lock nuts and adjusting the tappets so that they just barely hang on to your feeler guages, then button it back up. You don't have to play musical shims on this bike. Also, my wife likes to turn her engine to TDC with a wrench - the alternator pulley on the front of the engine has a nice hex head nut that's easy to get to.

I can supervise if you're close to Seattle and provide the beer - I'll even bring the TB sync tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I really appreciate the offer, but I'm in Connecticut. Also, thanks for the link. I'm not sure if I'll do this this weekend or next, because I'm still sore from my surgery.

This might be a stupid questions, but does valve clearances HAVE to be done in conjunction with an oil change?