Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

Install Gentoo posted:

Usually it's because your antivirus software automatically gets invoked to scan them, and sometimes they just get caught up.

UAC filters can slow it down too especially if the installers don't include manifests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Grawl posted:

If that doesn't have it, nothing else will. Bad luck.

(I have several external drives, trust me).

It's an internal HDD and apparently Seagate decided to force the users to save a little bit of power by turning it off or semi-off very quickly when it is not in use.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Anyone have a recommendation for some kind of error reporting program? I know Task Scheduler can be activated by events, and that those events can be errors in the system log. Problem is, the error my particular program generates is a generic "error 1001" (or whatever it is) which works fairly well but then I learned that other programs can trigger an error with this same number code, which will trigger my script and gently caress everything up. I need something that can monitor a specific program, and then use its closing (error or otherwise) as a trigger for a script (AHK script). Any ideas?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Install Gentoo posted:

Usually it's because your antivirus software automatically gets invoked to scan them, and sometimes they just get caught up.

Intrepid00 posted:

UAC filters can slow it down too especially if the installers don't include manifests.

So you're saying that it's the fault of the writers of the installer, and not a problem with my OS or something? That's a relief, I guess, but it's still frustrating sometimes.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

PirateBob posted:

How do I keep a hard drive from switching off? I've already tried setting it to Never and to a high number of minutes in advanced power settings, but to no avail.

Put a small paging file on the drive. It will never spin down.

Are you using a PS2 adapter?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

WorkingStiff posted:

Put a small paging file on the drive. It will never spin down.

Are you using a PS2 adapter?

Nope; straight to USB.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

fookolt posted:

Nope; straight to USB.

If you have a PS/2 port, try that. I don't think N-Key Rollover (NKRO) works anyway if you aren't using a PS/2 port, which is one of the reasons why those keyboards are so drat spendy. Also, make sure Legacy USB Support is enabled in your BIOS.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mak0rz posted:

So you're saying that it's the fault of the writers of the installer, and not a problem with my OS or something? That's a relief, I guess, but it's still frustrating sometimes.

Well sometimes its also the fault of the antivirus software, but yes basically. The computer gets caught up verifying things before running it, but you kinda want that to happen instead of allowing any program to waltz on through.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Install Gentoo posted:

Well sometimes its also the fault of the antivirus software, but yes basically. The computer gets caught up verifying things before running it, but you kinda want that to happen instead of allowing any program to waltz on through.

Good to know, thanks! :tipshat:

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Windows 7 slow smb transfers?

At home I can transfer large files win7 to win7 on gig-e at 64MB+/s. At work doing desktop tech stuff we setup a couple win7 enterprise desktops with big drives my boss bought as temp file servers (for a Win7 upgrade project) and we're getting 1.25MB/s at best sometimes as slow as 300KB/s. Result is the same whether plugged in to our expensive cisco gigabit core switch or an 8 port netgear gigabit disconnected from corp lan.
Since its a win7 upgrade project, clients are xp at first win7 later, no real difference, way slow going up or down.

What's going on? I read some things today about disabling autotuning (lol) or remote differential compression. Tried both of those on the temp-servers, not clients, no change in speed. Any other clues?

Was thinking of trying something super easy and *nix, I used to play around with freenas way back when but we already have big drives with lots of stuff formatted ntfs, thought about trying xp for the servers but can't find any xp machines other than the migrating ones and no local real servers with any amount of real storage, but surely this can be fixed on the existing win7 fileservers.

edit: anything I've said here about speeds is of course based on just one client accessing the share at a time. I've transferred numerous terabytes of data to/from xp fileshares at work before and in the last couple years lots through win7 fileshares at home with no slowness, why is win7 at work a problem?

never mind all this It was only one model desktop affected, just needed newer nic driver from lenovo.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 10, 2013

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I recently had a lot of trouble installing the kb2817183 update, where installation would just not progress. I even left it on overnight twice. Especially as it would install whenever I put the computer to sleep or shut it off, I was worried about force shutting it down too many times. Then it started giving me a 'restart in 10m/whatever' prompt which was troublesome. Eventually after some Googling I tried disabling MSE and on the next shutdown it was able to install. Was that the real solution that I should do first if this happens in the future, or was it just coincidence?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Can anyone recommend a really, really lightweight contact manager?

We have a super-powerful CRM system at work, but a) it's a big clunky and slow and b) it's only designed to record 'significant' transactions and notes.

I want something that simply lets me record things like 1 sentence notes about phone calls for maybe 20 contacts with dates.

At the moment, I use excel with one line per transaction - it works well, but it's a bit messy to insert a new row for each transaction, then screw around with borders to separate customers. Plus, it rapidly get unwieldy.

Outlook's CRM add-on looks great, but MS has messed around with licensing and we don't have a license for it now.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Not sure where else to post this: does traceroute still help in a situation like this? What am I doing wrong?

Info: We use a database hosted offsite by the vendor. (Don't want to say much more about it since I'm sort of identifiable: just think of your standard offsite software-as-a-service database.) We've had major slowness on the backend over the past 4-5 days, and the vendor is insisting they see nothing on their end. I suggested running traceroute to see if their server could be documented as unresponsive, but it looks like they're set up to refuse traceroute requests.

Is there any way to document the slowness and collect data aside from keeping a user-edited incident log (which is what we're doing now)? Are there any tricks to the Win7 tracert command that I should be using?

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

The Macaroni posted:

Not sure where else to post this: does traceroute still help in a situation like this? What am I doing wrong?

Info: We use a database hosted offsite by the vendor. (Don't want to say much more about it since I'm sort of identifiable: just think of your standard offsite software-as-a-service database.) We've had major slowness on the backend over the past 4-5 days, and the vendor is insisting they see nothing on their end. I suggested running traceroute to see if their server could be documented as unresponsive, but it looks like they're set up to refuse traceroute requests.

Is there any way to document the slowness and collect data aside from keeping a user-edited incident log (which is what we're doing now)? Are there any tricks to the Win7 tracert command that I should be using?

Sounds like they are blocking pings then... You may need some cooperation on their end.

I had a remote office complaining about latency. The network guys said the WAN link was never saturated, so nothing they could do, no evidence. I set up ping logging on about 6 different machines. I logged pings between the remote offices server, the user complaining, from one of my Domain Controllers in the data center, and then everything pinged our EMC storage. I ran this logging for 3 days or so, pulled the log files and graphed out the latency over time.

Using this, I was able to prove massive WAN link latency, just outside of this remote offices edge router. With evidence, the network guys had no choice but to investigate and found there was an issue with the ATT MPLS.

The point being, you are on the right track, but if you cannot ping the machines involved, its going to be tough.

EDIT: Sounds like there are a few apps for this sort of situation, they run at higher layers, might be able to connect.
http://pwhois.org/lft/
http://iperf.sourceforge.net/

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 11, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Hmm, I am not sure where to ask this, but this seems to be the safest bet.

I have a media PC in one room with XBMC on it. I would like to find a piece of software that will allow me to listen to whatever is on that PC from another location in the house. I don't need video, and I don't really need them to be in sync - this isn't for entertaining, it's just for me. I am fine with them falling out of sync. Location 1 will be far enough away from location 2 that I am not even thinking about that. I'd simply like to be able to listen to music on my media PC, and if I choose, let it keep playing there, but go off to another location to do another task, and bring up an application or a locally hosted webpage, which'll let me listen to the audio from that computer.

Is there a feasible way to accomplish this?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
You can just store them on your media PC and play them over the network using foobar.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
No I'm sorry, I want to hear the media PC from another PC, even if it's a second or two latent.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 12, 2013

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
You could set up a streaming broadcast, and listen to it on the other PC with whatever.

The only easy way I know offhand to do that is Winamp's Shoutcast.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

No I'm sorry, I want to hear the media PC from another PC, even if it's a second or two latent.
You could try http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-multiroom-audio-plugin/
Uses VLC to stream, so pretty easy to hook into from another machine.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

foobar2000's UPnP component allows you to listen in to foobar's audio output from another machine without affecting it, exactly like you're talking about, as well as control the foobar2000 instance on your media PC if you need to pause it or the like.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Looking for some recommendations for online file storage, à la dropbox or spideroak. What I'm looking for is something that will completely take the place of local storage instead of being a backup or syncing service. Integration with explorer so it can be targeted like any other drive is a must. I'd rather not go with dropbox for security reasons, and I'm having trouble navigating through what spideroak's capable of--it seems to be mostly geared towards backups and syncing between devices which I'm not really looking for.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if this specifically a Windows question, but I can't think of where else to ask.

Is there any VPN site people recommend for US IPs? I only need it to browse a webpage (a clothing apparel store) that blocks non-US traffic, not access digital media, so I'd rather keep it low-cost (ie: free).

It's not that I can't google, but putting "free VPN" into the search bar brings up a ton of results, and I don't which one I can trust.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

stubblyhead posted:

Looking for some recommendations for online file storage, à la dropbox or spideroak. What I'm looking for is something that will completely take the place of local storage instead of being a backup or syncing service. Integration with explorer so it can be targeted like any other drive is a must. I'd rather not go with dropbox for security reasons, and I'm having trouble navigating through what spideroak's capable of--it seems to be mostly geared towards backups and syncing between devices which I'm not really looking for.
Must it act like an actual drive?

All I've tried is Google Drive, and you can use it as an almost regular directory where you store and edit your stuff. Things will get one-way synced to Google as your connection permits.

On anything but a lightning fast upload it sucks rear end to work with, of course.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Pilsner posted:

Must it act like an actual drive?

All I've tried is Google Drive, and you can use it as an almost regular directory where you store and edit your stuff. Things will get one-way synced to Google as your connection permits.

I would greatly prefer that, whether it's presented as a drive, or a special folder like Google Drive or Dropbox creates, or what have you. I've used google drive in a very limited fashion on a project at work, and I seem to recall it syncing poo poo up. What I want is to get my stuff into their servers so I can access it from other computers without it needing to have a local synced copy on each machine and without needing to go through a web interface to get at it. Agent software is fine though.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
On that note, is there a roll-your-own Dropbox-esque software suite for people who have a file server running at home and want to be their own cloud? Ideally I set this up and do all the technical legwork and then hand people an MSI and say "hey it's like dropbox, you just have to point it at this IP address."

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Eikre posted:

On that note, is there a roll-your-own Dropbox-esque software suite for people who have a file server running at home and want to be their own cloud? Ideally I set this up and do all the technical legwork and then hand people an MSI and say "hey it's like dropbox, you just have to point it at this IP address."

lifehacker did a post on goodsync, you could give that a shot. but if you want each person to have their own profile/folder, not sure how well it'll do that.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but anyway...

My friend is disabled, she's confined to a powered wheelchair and has limited use of her arms. Her hands work OK, but her muscles are gradually deteriorating which means it's hard for her to hold her head steady (the chair has a headrest, of course) and she has to walk her arms around on a desk by pulling with her fingers; it's kind of fascinating to watch, actually. She spends much of her time on-line, and is looking for an application that can read to her and more importantly speak for her - she's hard to understand because she can only move her jaw a small amount.
Something that can output text as speech, either on-screen or as something she types in. Her desktop is running Windows, I don't know the exact version but I strongly suspect Windows 7.

Thanks in advance!

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but anyway...

My friend is disabled, she's confined to a powered wheelchair and has limited use of her arms. Her hands work OK, but her muscles are gradually deteriorating which means it's hard for her to hold her head steady (the chair has a headrest, of course) and she has to walk her arms around on a desk by pulling with her fingers; it's kind of fascinating to watch, actually. She spends much of her time on-line, and is looking for an application that can read to her and more importantly speak for her - she's hard to understand because she can only move her jaw a small amount.
Something that can output text as speech, either on-screen or as something she types in. Her desktop is running Windows, I don't know the exact version but I strongly suspect Windows 7.

Thanks in advance!
Windows has a lot of stuff built-in for handicapped, have you look at the "Ease of Access Center" in the Control Panel (try the "Start Narrator" thing), as well as the "Speech Recognition"?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I think the go-to text-to-speech software is Dragon Naturally Speaking, but honestly I don't have any data to back to this up.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 14, 2013

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I think the Go-To text-to-speech software is Dragon Naturally Speaking, but honestly I don't have any data to back to this up.

I've heard Jaws for Windows is pretty good, too.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

stubblyhead posted:

I would greatly prefer that, whether it's presented as a drive, or a special folder like Google Drive or Dropbox creates, or what have you. I've used google drive in a very limited fashion on a project at work, and I seem to recall it syncing poo poo up. What I want is to get my stuff into their servers so I can access it from other computers without it needing to have a local synced copy on each machine and without needing to go through a web interface to get at it. Agent software is fine though.

Have you tried Microsoft's SkyDrive yet? It has pretty darn good Windows integration, as you can imagine.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Dyscrasia posted:

Sounds like they are blocking pings then... You may need some cooperation on their end.

I had a remote office complaining about latency. The network guys said the WAN link was never saturated, so nothing they could do, no evidence. I set up ping logging on about 6 different machines. I logged pings between the remote offices server, the user complaining, from one of my Domain Controllers in the data center, and then everything pinged our EMC storage. I ran this logging for 3 days or so, pulled the log files and graphed out the latency over time.

Using this, I was able to prove massive WAN link latency, just outside of this remote offices edge router. With evidence, the network guys had no choice but to investigate and found there was an issue with the ATT MPLS.

The point being, you are on the right track, but if you cannot ping the machines involved, its going to be tough.

EDIT: Sounds like there are a few apps for this sort of situation, they run at higher layers, might be able to connect.
http://pwhois.org/lft/
http://iperf.sourceforge.net/
Thanks for all this. Turns out the network is fine, but there's something fishy with two specific affected user accounts. The vendor never observed the problem because they never logged in as those users, despite our requests. And then once they finally did as we asked, they interpreted the timeout error on login as an incorrect password we supplied. :rolleyes:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Alright, I've been skimming through SHSC and even the Dorkroom for a while and can't find a more appropriate thread than this so I'll just ask, as google hasn't returned any results to help either. I have Adobe Photoshop CS3 and I knew Adobe did a 3-step upgrade because I had upgraded it from PS7 previously. With all this talk of "The Cloud" and them moving to a subscription, I figure I may as well upgrade it to CS6 before that happens. Well it turns out the deadline to do that via Adobe.com with CS3 and 4 was December 31, 2012. My question is, there are still retailers with CS6 upgrade boxes for CS3-5 for about $200, but would Adobe have disabled their functionality? I don't want to shell out the money if it isn't going to work, and I thought someone may have had this same issue in the past few months.

Edit: vv Thanks, I had gone through that FAQ but didn't think any of it pertained to my question. I guess the line about "Electronic downloads for Creative Suite products will continue to be available from both Adobe.com, as well as reseller and retail partners." Could sort of imply that discontinued upgrades should still work as long as they're being sold. I'll give the upgrade a try and hopefully get a refund if it doesn't work.

davebo fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 16, 2013

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

davebo posted:

Alright, I've been skimming through SHSC and even the Dorkroom for a while and can't find a more appropriate thread than this so I'll just ask, as google hasn't returned any results to help either. I have Adobe Photoshop CS3 and I knew Adobe did a 3-step upgrade because I had upgraded it from PS7 previously. With all this talk of "The Cloud" and them moving to a subscription, I figure I may as well upgrade it to CS6 before that happens. Well it turns out the deadline to do that via Adobe.com with CS3 and 4 was December 31, 2012. My question is, there are still retailers with CS6 upgrade boxes for CS3-5 for about $200, but would Adobe have disabled their functionality? I don't want to shell out the money if it isn't going to work, and I thought someone may have had this same issue in the past few months.

Adobe seems to have updated their FAQ to cover this. That being said, CS6 appears in SA Mart now and then at amazingly discounted prices.

Bartie
Mar 20, 2006

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.
Has anyone gotten IMAP mail to work with Outlook 2013? Mine's getting stuck at synchronizing subscription folders and it seems to be a pretty wide spread issue.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Bartie posted:

Has anyone gotten IMAP mail to work with Outlook 2013? Mine's getting stuck at synchronizing subscription folders and it seems to be a pretty wide spread issue.

It's been working for me, though I just noticed recently that mail I'd deleted* on the Outlook side wasn't being marked deleted on the server side for some reason and that's made me kind of concerned. It's not like mail was reappearing so Outlook still knew it was "deleted" but that's not how I'm used to it behaving.

* I didn't so much delete it as drag it into a local folder, but that always counted as deleted in Outlook 2010.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Polsy posted:

It's been working for me, though I just noticed recently that mail I'd deleted* on the Outlook side wasn't being marked deleted on the server side for some reason and that's made me kind of concerned. It's not like mail was reappearing so Outlook still knew it was "deleted" but that's not how I'm used to it behaving.

* I didn't so much delete it as drag it into a local folder, but that always counted as deleted in Outlook 2010.
I was getting it to work for me for a while, but as of about a week or two ago it stopped deleting the mail on the server, or even marking it as read.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Dropbox question:

Is there a way to stop it from downloading everything from my account? I have it both on my desktop and laptop, and I don't really have the disk space for all my crap on my laptop.

Bartie
Mar 20, 2006

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

real_scud posted:

I was getting it to work for me for a while, but as of about a week or two ago it stopped deleting the mail on the server, or even marking it as read.

I get it working for about 10 minutes after booting and then synching just stops working altogether. What's even weirder is that after running Outlook and closing it, Thunderbird won't work either and starts having the same problems. I ran TCPview and lo, Outlook (which at this point is shut down even as a process, PID is nowhere to be found) still has connections to the IMAP-server. After closing these by force, Thunderbird at least runs normally.

I suppose I'll have to make due with Thunderbird now, some upgrade. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Boz0r posted:

Dropbox question:

Is there a way to stop it from downloading everything from my account? I have it both on my desktop and laptop, and I don't really have the disk space for all my crap on my laptop.

In the settings you can choose which folders to sync.