Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

People have TB devices?

Manufacturers sell TB devices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Joe Don Baker posted:

Yeah I was just going to ask about that. Anyone see a difference?

I didn't have any problems prior to the update. So it all seems the same to me.

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

What does it have open? Instructions here

Open files here: http://pastebin.com/7nXvjrXk

Bluetooth is turned off and it's on an 802.11n network. Steam wasn't open, but I updated it anyway since it appeared in that list, no apparent effect.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ok, so I have a Macbook Air 11inch, the first version that came out a few years back (aka, Core 2 Duo). I got the version with the maxed amount of Ram but only 64gigs of ssd space

Now, the lack of HD space never bothered me because I don't mind having few apps installed and keeping most of my files on a 2TB external HDD that I have. I mostly use this computer for word processing and web surfing, as well as watching videos or listening to music.

What I don't understand is why, despite keeping things minimalist, my "other" portion of the hard drive is taking up 30 gigs. I've tried everything to lower that, I downloaded certain apps to breakdown what's taking space and deleted a bunch of stuff, yet that other still stays huge. Anything I could delete or transfer to the HDD other than my pictures has been removed, as well as certain apps like steam or ableton live that I know take room.

I know my iPhoto is taking up at least 10 gigs (and the photo portion of OSX's breakdown doesn't have that much allocated for photos) but what can the rest be?

Do I need to format my drive and start from scratch or something? Any clues?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Duro posted:

What I don't understand is why, despite keeping things minimalist, my "other" portion of the hard drive is taking up 30 gigs. I've tried everything to lower that, I downloaded certain apps to breakdown what's taking space and deleted a bunch of stuff, yet that other still stays huge. Anything I could delete or transfer to the HDD other than my pictures has been removed, as well as certain apps like steam or ableton live that I know take room.

Read this:

http://pondini.org/OSX/DiskSpace.html

And then download WhatSize to see what folders are taking up your space.

My boss's 13" Air has the 256GB SSD maxed out and he's only got 30GB of email, 10GB of photos, and then another 5GB of documents. Go figure.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
A lot of you have the magic mouse, curious- mine came with non rechargeable batteries.

From what I can tell, most people use the following batteries:

1) Eneloop rechargeables
2) The ones that came with your magic mouse or this Apple Battery Charger : http://store.apple.com/au/product/MC500X/A/apple-battery-charger?fnode=5a
3) Magic Charger : http://www.mobeetechnology.com/the-magic-charger.html (Mixed reviews on this one)

Just wondering what the goon consensus is on this before I shell for any of them.

the_lion fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 12, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The mouse/keyboard don't come with rechargeable batteries. The Apple charger you linked are just rebranded Sanyo Eneloops. I'd buy whichever is cheaper.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

The mouse/keyboard don't come with rechargeable batteries. The Apple charger you linked are just rebranded Sanyo Eneloops. I'd buy whichever is cheaper.

That's good to know! Probably go with the Apple then- free charger, free shipping.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Can anyone recommend an app that records time spent in each app over a long period of time? Curious how my day gets used up...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I have a MBP that connects wirelessly to a wifi network that my iPhone can not connect to. I want to share the internet from my MBP to my iPhone, sort of like reverse tethering. Is it possible?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Lexicon posted:

Can anyone recommend an app that records time spent in each app over a long period of time? Curious how my day gets used up...

I don't think there is such a thing, I don't think apps can pull that kind of information from other apps.

edit: Wait, this is OSX, not iOS.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have a MBP that connects wirelessly to a wifi network that my iPhone can not connect to. I want to share the internet from my MBP to my iPhone, sort of like reverse tethering. Is it possible?

There's internet sharing in the system preferences but I've never gotten it to work - and I'm not sure if you can share a wifi connection without having two wireless adapters.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Boris Galerkin posted:

Like Wifi -> Bluetooth -> iPhone? I tether my iPad to my Nexus 4 via Bluetooth all the time which implies iOS can handle this. Try setting up Internet Sharing on the MBP for Wifi sharing to Bluetooth PAN.

Edit: I can confirm that this works. Bluetooth is a bit slow though. If you have the need for speed and maybe some acceptance for a dongle, I'm fairly certain you can get a discrete Wi-Fi dongle.

crazysim fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 12, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lexicon posted:

http://manytricks.com/timesink/

Not free, but it could be worth five bucks to find out where you waste your time I guess.

It basically just counts the time that each app spends in the foreground.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Martytoof posted:

http://manytricks.com/timesink/

Not free, but it could be worth five bucks to find out where you waste your time I guess.

It basically just counts the time that each app spends in the foreground.

Exactly what I wanted, thanks!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Lexicon posted:

RescueTime. The free plan would probably be enough.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I have a few external harddrives hooked up to an Airport Extreme, I mount them through my MacBook Air. Lately it seems like the drives are randomly disconnecting from my MacBook Air for no reason - any idea why? Any way to prevent this?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Are the drives hooked up to a powered USB hub which is then hooked into the AEBS USB port?

Are they all HFS Extended / FAT16 / FAT32 / NTFS in GUID Partition format?

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Has anyone noticed that full screen flash videos in Chrome (HBO Go, Youtube, etc) have been resized improperly in Chrome recently? It must have been a recently Chrome update that did it (because I think it packs its own Flash release). It's kind of annoying. All the buttons, text, and even the video are aliased in a weird way, and it doesn't hide the dock automatically.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Are the drives hooked up to a powered USB hub which is then hooked into the AEBS USB port?

Are they all HFS Extended / FAT16 / FAT32 / NTFS in GUID Partition format?

The USB hub is not powered but 3 out of the 4 drives are not USB powered.

All formatted as HFS extended.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Nah, you really need a powered hub.

If you look at

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2421

when they mention hooking up multiple drives, Apple specifically says (emphasis mine):

quote:

AirPort Extreme 802.11n

Single self-powered USB hard disk

Single powered USB printer directly into the USB port, or several printers connected to the base station via a powered USB hub

Using a powered USB hub you may connect several hard disks and/or printers

People on Apple Discussions say that's because the AEBS USB port is underpowered as it was meant to support mostly printers..

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I'm dealing with two really stupid problems on my retina Macbook Pro.

In Safari, when I open up a new tab and start typing a google search into the address bar, Safari will act like I've hit Enter or something, and auto-complete my text, or start the Google search, or choose a URL from my history, before I've finished typing. What the hell?

This morning, I unlocked my Macbook, spent about 30 seconds on it checking my mail, and the screen went black and it locked itself again. I don't have any hot corners set or anything. What the hell?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

horse mans posted:

This morning, I unlocked my Macbook, spent about 30 seconds on it checking my mail, and the screen went black and it locked itself again. I don't have any hot corners set or anything. What the hell?

Strange question, but is your Macbook on top of another Apple laptop or near any magnets when this happens?

Had this problem with my wife's MBP and it turned out to be because it was sitting on top of her old plastic Macbook and the magnet in the lid was making the MBP think she had closed the laptop.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
We don't have wifi setup at work, so when I need to test another device (ipad, etc) on our network I have to start up internet sharing and connect the device to my laptop's signal. Problem is, sharing is really hit or miss. Some days I'll connect and it'll stay up all day. Other times it'll connect for a few minutes, then die and need to be restarted again. The worst though is when I start sharing and it immediately dies - I can actually see the icon in the status bar blink on and off in an instant. When that happens all I can do is reboot and hope it doesn't happen again. Is there any way to unfuck internet sharing when this happens?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

8ender posted:

Strange question, but is your Macbook on top of another Apple laptop or near any magnets when this happens?

Had this problem with my wife's MBP and it turned out to be because it was sitting on top of her old plastic Macbook and the magnet in the lid was making the MBP think she had closed the laptop.

Nope, actually a completely empty desk.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What kind of adaptor do I need to connect the new iMac to a TV via HDMI? TB > HDMI?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

8ender posted:

Oh poo poo this happens to me sometimes when I put my iPhone on the bottom left corner of my MacBook Pro. Is there a magnet in the iPhone that would cause that?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

PRADA SLUT posted:

What kind of adaptor do I need to connect the new iMac to a TV via HDMI? TB > HDMI?

Yep. They're pretty cheap too on Amazon ($9) or about $30 at Fruitstore.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

benisntfunny posted:

PRADA SLUT posted:

I think the important question is whether the iMac can/will send sound via TB/HDMI, because beyond that, a modern TV is no different than any other kind of external monitor.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Tippis posted:

I think the important question is whether the iMac can/will send sound via TB/HDMI, because beyond that, a modern TV is no different than any other kind of external monitor.
[/quote]

The answer is yes. If it makes you concerned though just read like 2-3 reviews about how people are using the cable for just that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

horse mans posted:

In Safari, when I open up a new tab and start typing a google search into the address bar, Safari will act like I've hit Enter or something, and auto-complete my text, or start the Google search, or choose a URL from my history, before I've finished typing. What the hell?
I've run into this lately too. I thought it might've been something with my extensions loving up but I disabled them (crashing like hell lately) and it happened a little after that so maybe it's just a Safari bug, unless the extensions weren't fully unloaded at the time I guess.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

japtor posted:

I've run into this lately too. I thought it might've been something with my extensions loving up but I disabled them (crashing like hell lately) and it happened a little after that so maybe it's just a Safari bug, unless the extensions weren't fully unloaded at the time I guess.

I had this same issue for months. Switched to Chrome as I couldn't figure out what it was.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI might be a better search term.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Curious what everyone's favorite method is for moving data between OSX and Windows partitions?

OSXFuse + NTFS-3G? Supposedly works, but is slow.
Commercial option?
Networked storage?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I either do stuff over the network or through a VM if a local drive, not so much "favorite method" as much as just what I have available.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

An external drive formatted with exFAT.

Edit: whoops, read over that part mentioning you're moving things from partition to partition.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Well it's just that I have a fully-working hack-Mac these days, but I tend to have a drive full of personal stuff (Music, Videos, Photos, "photos" :fap:, and other such things) on an NTFS-formatted drive and I'm curious how I should move stuff I've downloaded in OSX to it. Because right now I find myself working in Windows most of the time just to have write access to that drive.

Sharing that whole drive on a network wouldn't be wise, though for right now I'm getting by with a folder on a USB drive connected on my router to act as a go-between. Seems kind of lousy, though.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

Nah, you really need a powered hub.

If you look at

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2421

when they mention hooking up multiple drives, Apple specifically says (emphasis mine):

People on Apple Discussions say that's because the AEBS USB port is underpowered as it was meant to support mostly printers..

In my experience the USB port on the AE is just all kinda of lovely. I have a powered USB hub on it for a while, and it would randomly disconnect drives. Now I have a standalone USB hard drive, powered by its own power adapter, plugged straight into the AE and it will actually kill the whole AE if I transfer a lot of data to/from the drive. Suddenly in them middle of a transfer (ranging from copying large directories, to updating apps in iTunes) the AE will stop broadcasting Wifi, loses the hard drive, and requires an unplug-replug.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Curious - since newer versions of Bootcamp remove the ability to use older versions of Windows, how do you do the upgrade exactly?

Example, if I had Vista Home Premium (now not supported in Bootcamp 5.0), and I owned the upgrade version of Windows 7 Home Premium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Craptacular! posted:

Curious what everyone's favorite method is for moving data between OSX and Windows partitions?

OSXFuse + NTFS-3G? Supposedly works, but is slow.
Commercial option?
Networked storage?

Tuxera works fine.
I used fuse/NTFS-3G until it suddenly got really slow for some reason.