Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
I spent a long time being a relatively successful youtuber, I managed to get my self suffocated by Minecraft fans so I kept making videos of that and other general poo poo, I've since abandoned that. Ads don't pay what they used to so everyone is having to step up how much content they produce to keep up with networks trying to drop how much they pay per X amount of views as well as youtube consistently managing to gently caress up their content delivery. That said, Q1 and some of Q2 of every year has a big lull in the ad revenue world so it's the worst time for youtubers who can actually make a living off of it.

I'm friends with a few of the big timers and they're living pretty drat healthily but they have the luxury of relying on thousands of videos and global views to generate a bit of a buffer while the new content starts to bring in revenue. The longer you have been at it and the more of your audience you have retained, the better off you're going to be these days. That's why starting now is not as profitable unless your channel explodes for one reason or another.

e. You have to be really churning out the most relevant content as quick as possible. Go look at guys like TetraNinja who consistently jump on the latest game and upload 20 videos in the two days following the release of the next big game. After a week or two those videos will start to pile on views and generate a poo poo ton of money. The average SA LPer would never reach that level, people like ProtonJon are an exception, I guess, they just managed to get lucky (not that their content doesn't hold up, but i mean they caught the eye of the viewer early on or a lot sooner than other SA LPers may have). It is pretty lucrative but you have to cut every corner you can and sacrifice quality and focus on quantity and relevance to the flavor of the week AAA title.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sundowner posted:

I spent a long time being a relatively successful youtuber, I managed to get my self suffocated by Minecraft fans so I kept making videos of that and other general poo poo, I've since abandoned that. Ads don't pay what they used to so everyone is having to step up how much content they produce to keep up with networks trying to drop how much they pay per X amount of views as well as youtube consistently managing to gently caress up their content delivery. That said, Q1 and some of Q2 of every year has a big lull in the ad revenue world so it's the worst time for youtubers who can actually make a living off of it.

I'm friends with a few of the big timers and they're living pretty drat healthily but they have the luxury of relying on thousands of videos and global views to generate a bit of a buffer while the new content starts to bring in revenue. The longer you have been at it and the more of your audience you have retained, the better off you're going to be these days. That's why starting now is not as profitable unless your channel explodes for one reason or another.

e. You have to be really churning out the most relevant content as quick as possible. Go look at guys like TetraNinja who consistently jump on the latest game and upload 20 videos in the two days following the release of the next big game. After a week or two those videos will start to pile on views and generate a poo poo ton of money. The average SA LPer would never reach that level, people like ProtonJon are an exception, I guess, they just managed to get lucky (not that their content doesn't hold up, but i mean they caught the eye of the viewer early on or a lot sooner than other SA LPers may have). It is pretty lucrative but you have to cut every corner you can and sacrifice quality and focus on quantity and relevance to the flavor of the week AAA title.

That's the essential thing: people are putting out complete crap so that they show up first when people search for the game or whatever, in some kind of grand game of First Post. That's what I mean by not understanding why anyone would want to do this: people aspire to posting videos for their job, but if they actually wanted to do so then they would just have to rapid-fire shitpost like everyone else.

And that's a very relative "relatively". If I remember right from that gigantic dramatic post you put up a while ago your subs and whatever were still utterly dwarfed by some of the bigger names, who will always be able to out-produce you by the sole merit of not being them, if nothing else. Not to be mean, just saying that scale is important.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That's the essential thing: people are putting out complete crap so that they show up first when people search for the game or whatever, in some kind of grand game of First Post. That's what I mean by not understanding why anyone would want to do this: people aspire to posting videos for their job, but if they actually wanted to do so then they would just have to rapid-fire shitpost like everyone else.

And that's a very relative "relatively". If I remember right from that gigantic dramatic post you put up a while ago your subs and whatever were still utterly dwarfed by some of the bigger names, who will always be able to out-produce you by the sole merit of not being them, if nothing else. Not to be mean, just saying that scale is important.

Oh absolutely, my old/dying channel is nowhere near the size of the guys who can call it a living these days but I was part of that 'scene' since pretty much the first network partnership went out via Machinima's Director program back in 09. I was one of the first few rolled up because Modern Warfare 2 exploded in popularity along with the idea of multiplayer gameplay commentary but at the time I was an angsty teen and stopped posting due to the community being pretty lovely at that point.

I'm sure no one wants to hear nor cares for my history with it, I don't care to share it either.. I was just offering some perspective. I agree wholeheartedly though that it's lovely the way people go about earning their money on a medium that could be pretty great where it not so contemptuous toward anyone with even a lick of interest in quality over quantity.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 12, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

So a person would have to get 10,000 views out of pushing in SA to even cover the :10bux: it took to get in.

Youtube, ladies and gents.

E. And honestly, it's kind of a weird thing to aspire to. Do these people think they're going to quit their crap jobs and become *supastars* and absolutely drown in their respective sexual interests because they were making LPs of video games? poo poo, that's almost as bad as using the fact that you have a blog as a pickup line to show that you're thoughtful and intellectual.

Didn't Pewdiepie drop out of college because of the money he was making on his videos?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
To be honest, someone who decides to drop out of education to make youtube videos probably isn't graduate material anyway...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Waffleman_ posted:

Didn't Pewdiepie drop out of college because of the money he was making on his videos?

Well If I was making over a 100 grand annually on some videos (I think), I would probably quit whatever Sweden college I'm in, too.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Tae posted:

Well If I was making over a 100 grand annually on some videos (I think), I would probably quit whatever Sweden college I'm in, too.

I would be interested to know how much PewDiePie makes annually, considering some of the estimates a quick Google search range between $100,000 to $1 million. It's certainly possible.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

judge reinhold posted:

I would be interested to know how much PewDiePie makes annually, considering some of the estimates a quick Google search range between $100,000 to $1 million. It's certainly possible.

I think his YouTube income is supposedly between $400,000 and $1 million using the idea that YouTube pays you a dollar or three for every 1000 views a video gets (that I was never able to confirm was an actual thing). Then you have to remember he is selling merchandise that, no matter how stupid it seems, people buy. Considering that he has probably made a couple thousand more from just that.

As Sundowner has attested to, YouTube fame is fleeting. Imagine he does this for a couple more years and then starts bleeding subs and views because who wants to watch a man fake scream for 20 minutes at a time for five years? He hasn't made "retire at 40" money, so he'll either have to complete his education or try to enter the workforce. Now imagine the person who comes across his resume and the fact that there will either be a huge gap in it or he will list his YouTube stuff as his experience. A couple clicks later and his resume is in the trash.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Lazyfire posted:

I think his YouTube income is supposedly between $400,000 and $1 million using the idea that YouTube pays you a dollar or three for every 1000 views a video gets (that I was never able to confirm was an actual thing). Then you have to remember he is selling merchandise that, no matter how stupid it seems, people buy. Considering that he has probably made a couple thousand more from just that.

As Sundowner has attested to, YouTube fame is fleeting. Imagine he does this for a couple more years and then starts bleeding subs and views because who wants to watch a man fake scream for 20 minutes at a time for five years? He hasn't made "retire at 40" money, so he'll either have to complete his education or try to enter the workforce. Now imagine the person who comes across his resume and the fact that there will either be a huge gap in it or he will list his YouTube stuff as his experience. A couple clicks later and his resume is in the trash.

It is indeed fleeting. Several years ago I followed and watched a lot of people who rose high on their YouTube subscribers, and in the last year or so, one in particular just a few months back, they've been abandoned and have faded, they've tumbled from their high horses due to the changing climes and due to the fact they've all made huge mistakes in how they treat others. Anyone who rides and subsists on their vaunted e-careers will lose it and more, yet they won't ever stop to think there's a problem with it.

I once knew someone who had a friend who became a YouTube partner and immediately started raking in money. Afterwards, he spat in the faces of his friends and threw them away. I imagine he's still doing just that, but at this point he's probably bled a fair amount of subscribers.

This is how most "YouTube Celebrities" will be seen after their time is up.

"Hi, thank you for applying to work at our company. What did you do before this?"
"I made videos for the internet!"

They'll be laughed all the way out the building.

This all being said, it's still really, really depressing to think that people who incomprehensibly scream rape 'til falsetto for 20 minutes in every video are making more than hard working people who facilitate his way of life ever will.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Really? There is not a single employer that would be impressed by "Yeah, I spent some years making stupid YouTube videos that earned me between $400,000 and one million dollars annually."?

I find that awfully hard to believe.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Thanks for the feedback on the Folklore LP, everyone. I've posted the thread here, and I'll be adding the Keats prologue videos likely this week.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Agent355 posted:

Monetizing Let's Plays is something that has crossed my mind in the past. I decided that if I ever got up to something like 20k views per video, reliably that I would turn ads on and try for some youtube bux. Doesn't seem inherently evil to me to monetize if you've been putting out good videos, putting out videos with the sole intention of trying to rake in the dollars however seems like putting the cart before the horse.

I had ads when initially putting up the videos to my Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade LP. It was mostly ignored, but we managed to make enough money on the subpar views to do a SteamGifts giveaway for one copy of the game with the last update which was kind of nice. But we only just about made that amount. Also because it was so small I never actually got the money from Google. Some day, huh?

But now I've taken all the ads off because they're dumb and also ads on LPs is somewhat morally grey and I can't be bothered with that business.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Earnestly posted:

Really? There is not a single employer that would be impressed by "Yeah, I spent some years making stupid YouTube videos that earned me between $400,000 and one million dollars annually."?

Watch a PewDiePie video. Or TobyGames. Or whatever.

It really is low-effort and none of them try at all. You really do just have to kick out three videos a day and that's it.

In all honesty, yeah, you might be able to finagle a job in entertainment with that, but when most see your source material, I'm genuinely not sure how many producers think that'd translate into a TV show. Especially considering a lot of this is "look the other way" type of advertising. If MTV Networks decides to make a Let's Play show they really will have to pay the game producers or work out agreements to use their shows to run ads on.

Unless you mean that it's not a bad way to explain an employment gap, which in some way, I guess it's not, but that's an industry-to-industry thing. Honestly, employment gaps in certain industries (like tech) mean you miss out on what the market's currently interested in, and it's hard to catch up.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jesus christ. I've never watched PewPewDie before, so I went on a search to see what all the fuss is about. *That* is what people throw all the views at? I've been high-effort this whole time and I never knew it! :monocle:

It's like a roulette to see who can become the most memetic and roll on that to youtube stardom.

I could understand the position of "drop out and make videos" if they were intelligible, well-crafted, and could be put forward as an example of cleverness for consideration for a job. This... this is just crap.

Someone needs to introduce them to the Archive.

VVVVV
"I don't get it, they say that they're doing live commentary but there's no facecam! Bullshit, I think they're lying!"

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 13, 2013

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I can already tell you how that will go.

"Why isn't he talking?"

"What do you mean, 'post commentary'?"

"The gently caress's an SSLP?!"

"'Informative'? You mean they don't make jokes? Why would anyone watch that?"

"Ten bucks? gently caress that."

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Let's Play Snowboard Kids, Big-Nose Edition

Video.

I'd like some opinions and criticisms on my video, please. The music is a bit choppy at times, especially during the intro, and as far as I can tell it's like that all the time with my emulator and I don't know what to do about it. This is really my first time doing solo voiced commentary but I did a couple takes and while I didn't use a set script I wrote down some things I wanted to talk about. As mentioned though in future videos I plan on having guests so this will probably be the only one with me solo.

Thanks for your time.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Catsworth posted:

Video.

I'd like some opinions and criticisms on my video, please. The music is a bit choppy at times, especially during the intro, and as far as I can tell it's like that all the time with my emulator and I don't know what to do about it. This is really my first time doing solo voiced commentary but I did a couple takes and while I didn't use a set script I wrote down some things I wanted to talk about. As mentioned though in future videos I plan on having guests so this will probably be the only one with me solo.

Thanks for your time.

The quality of the video seems fine, and the commentary is pretty good in levels, although you might want to duck down the music a bit more while you're talking. Might also put a post in the tech thread about that music waffling, it's really annoying.

What are you going to talk about for most of the races? It seems like you were kinda running out of things to say even by the end of the first video.

E. Also, that lift mechanic is the biggest BS I've ever seen in a game. Basically, the first person is always first, then the second/third/fourth person just randomly get in whenever.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 13, 2013

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Catsworth posted:

As much as I like Snowboard Kids (the sequel moreso than this), I can't imagine you having very much to talk about after this. Maybe you could sprinkle in some goon races in between courses with the magic of netplay so there's some audience participation?

That aside, it all looks and sounds ok, but the sound is kind of an issue. The guys over at the TSF might know how to fix it.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Alright, thanks guys. I'll definitely drop it by the other thread and see if anyone can figure a solution.

As for running out of things to talk about, I absolutely agree and that's why I plan on bringing new guests for each episode. There's also a surprisingly decent amount of board customization which I figured I could let people vote on as well as which character to use. Multiplayer matches are also something I've considered and think would be a lot of fun but I wanted to see about getting the basics set up first. Anyway thanks again!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Howdy Sandcastle! In another thread a goon posted a link to a program called Gifcam. Act's like a video recorder, spits out gifs. I did a quick and dirty of a special move from my Tales of Destiny LP and wanted some feed back on it.

This is how I presented the special move in the LP: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=12260

And here is the gif: http://i.imgur.com/2BVvmVW.gif

I don't use Imgur for hosting on my LP, I just wanted a quick and dirty upload for the sandcastle.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
All I can see in the GIF is that it's fuzzy. Text isn't sharp like the images.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
It's fuzzy and slow. That's a really bad framerate.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Volume posted:

Howdy Sandcastle! In another thread a goon posted a link to a program called Gifcam. Act's like a video recorder, spits out gifs. I did a quick and dirty of a special move from my Tales of Destiny LP and wanted some feed back on it.

This is how I presented the special move in the LP: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=12260

And here is the gif: http://i.imgur.com/2BVvmVW.gif

I don't use Imgur for hosting on my LP, I just wanted a quick and dirty upload for the sandcastle.

Why are they different sizes? The gif isn't a fair comparison since it's been resampled for that size. Also the framerate is weird and the colors aren't properly indexed.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Figured it was too good to be true. There aren't any options to fix any stuff like the colors or frame rate. I guess I'll just go gifless for now. Yes I've read the tutorial in the tech thread on gifs but I haven't been able to make that work. Was hoping this would cut it but oh well.

Explosionface posted:

Why are they different sizes?

Well the emulator screen caps at a native resolution and then I resize by 200% in Irfan where as the gifcam is just recording what's on my screen.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

frozentreasure posted:

I can already tell you how that will go.

"Why isn't he talking?"

"What do you mean, 'post commentary'?"

"The gently caress's an SSLP?!"

"'Informative'? You mean they don't make jokes? Why would anyone watch that?"

"Ten bucks? gently caress that."

It's always fun when someone does pay the ten dollars and tries to YouTube Superstar from this subforum. I recall a guy a couple months ago doing a facecam (my god the Chrome word processor recognizes that as a valid word) XCOM series that was supposedly on Season 4 and another person trying to get the Sandcastle to watch his videos full of rape jokes around the same time and got really, really mad when everyone told him they weren't funny.

You also forgot to add in "How will I know who is playing if the video thumbnail isn't a picture of them making a face over a screen from the game?"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Lazyfire posted:

I recall ... another person trying to get the Sandcastle to watch his videos full of rape jokes around the same time and got really, really mad when everyone told him they weren't funny.
Doesn't something like this happen more or less every two weeks like clockwork though

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

JT Jag posted:

Doesn't something like this happen more or less every two weeks like clockwork though

This was more memorable because he linked to his Twitter in the video description. When the Sandcastle told him things were bad he outright said he was just looking for views and that we were all fat neckbeards.

I mean, I'm overweight, but anyone should instantly recognize that my beard is an exact duplicate of Petyer Balish's from Game of Thrones.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Earnestly posted:

Some ad agencies in London require their creative applicants to produce material on youtube or fb and get x number of likes or views as a stage in the interview process. I know of at least one person who got through to a final interview on the strength of their youtube celebrity status, but I don't think it worked out well for them once they actually had their product scrutinised.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
First off let me say that getting fame from doing Let's Play on youtube is kind of a stupid way of getting fame. You see there are people who got their start doing things on the internet and actually making enough to make a living off of it, the difference is that those people do actually display talent for example Jon LaJoie got started doing videos for the internet and now does standup for a living, if I remember correctly he even got a half hour special on comedy central. Chris Hastings of Dr. McNinja fame does actually make a living salary off the t shirts that he makes alongside his webcomic. The problem with making money off of youtube let's plays is that you're just playing video games, that's not too impressive as doing stand up comedy or writing a webcomic. Doing those things require actually having talent, jon LaJoie is a pretty funny guy and he does have enough charisma to actually be on TV, and Dr. Mcninja is one of the best webcomics out there, that art is good and the writing does show quite a bit of imagination and it has actually landed Hastings a Job writing a crossover tie in for one of Marvels biggest names and that's not always an easy feat. Playing video games and being able to shout "rape" loud enough to max out the mixer bars for a good thirty seconds are not much of a talent, a trained money can do that.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Thanks David

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
How are short games usually handled? I'm talking 1-3 hours tops, probably on the shorter end of that scale. Are they worth their own thread? I'd have thought there would be some kind of short games thread, I know they've existed in the past.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Sundowner posted:

How are short games usually handled?

They're handled right here!

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
Oh christ, I even knew that thread existed. That went right over my head. Thanks!

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
What are my options if I want to continue an old LP of mine that was archived a while ago? Should I just post a link to the archived thread in the new one and hope for the best? It seems rather counterintuitive to just repost everything, as it's a SSLP, but maybe that would be the best way to get people new to the LP caught up...

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Son Ryo posted:

What are my options if I want to continue an old LP of mine that was archived a while ago? Should I just post a link to the archived thread in the new one and hope for the best? It seems rather counterintuitive to just repost everything, as it's a SSLP, but maybe that would be the best way to get people new to the LP caught up...
Your best option is probably just to start a new thread; that's what I think most people do.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Niggurath posted:

Your best option is probably just to start a new thread; that's what I think most people do.

Well, obviously. I think you missed the point of my post. I was talking about how to sum up what I got through in the old thread.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Yeah, not everyone has archives access, so it's not a good idea to count on the people who do to turn out in droves.

Also, if you're just going to repost all your old updates, don't post more than one a day, maybe rarely two. Give us time to have a conversation.

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Plllllllaydies :heysexy:

Son Ryo posted:

I did pretty much the same thing a bit ago, but sense it was a VLP linking videos is a lot easier they screenshot stuff. I'd say find a way to repost them, you don't want to make people have archives to see the first part of the game. So I'd say just make a new thread and copy everything over.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Either repost the old updates in the SSLP Test Poster or do one per day or so in-thread until you're caught up.

If you have a lot of posts, I'd recommend the former so the thread doesn't get bogged down with old posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I think the best way to do that for SSLP stuff is to just put the old updates on the test poster, and have the first new update be the first one in-thread. That's what the .hack// thread did at least, and it seems to work fine there.

• Locked thread