Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Raimundus posted:

Is there any flag that de facto represents the entire continent of Asia?

Just curious.
There was definitely a pretty strong push for this one for a while:

But for real, no, in no small part because China, Japan, Korea, and Taiwan in particular don't have an especially friendly relationship in the kind of terms a flag would represent, nor do Pakistan and India. The closest you'll find would be the "flag" of APEC:

or of ASEAN:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Nope, just like there's no "North American flag". I believe the largest group of nations represented by one flag is the EU.

e. I am wrong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_the_Organisation_of_Islamic_Cooperation has 57 members under one flag.

Don't forget the UN

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Centzon Totochtin posted:

It's a quote from the Simpsons.

It was also pretty much my reaction to the original post asking about whether he had to wash a glass after using it, it just seems like common sense. Why would you NOT wash it?

My husband is constantly griping that I take his glasses and throw them in the sink when he wants to reuse them, but that's usually after he's been drinking Crystal Light. Even he wouldn't reuse a glass that had milk in it.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

What are these?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Torka posted:

What are these?

They're called QR codes, or sometimes 2D barcodes. They hold small bits of data (usually a URL or a short string of text) that you can read by scanning them with your phone. This particular one has a link to download a Windows executable.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Oh cool, thanks.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Torka posted:

What are these?

Because many phones offer no safety step of telling you what it leads to be very careful.. there are some malicious qr codes that can brick phones/install virus/show you hello.jpg

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Unlike here in Britain, my impression is that US healthcare is mostly private. How are ambulances handled? Do you need some insurance company/hospital's phone number on speed dial or can you just call 911 and they'll hook you up with some help? Who would be in charge of said help?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

MooCowlian posted:

Unlike here in Britain, my impression is that US healthcare is mostly private. How are ambulances handled? Do you need some insurance company/hospital's phone number on speed dial or can you just call 911 and they'll hook you up with some help? Who would be in charge of said help?

Municipalities contract with ambulance companies to provide service, the companies staff them with EMTs and paramedics. They respond to 911 calls as appropriate, and make the decision as to whether they need to be brought in to the hospital. The ambulance companies also bill individuals separately from the hospitals/doctors for treatment and transport.

There may be some local variance in how it's done-FDNY operates some ambulances themselves, I believe.

There's a goon-doctor thread for EMS personnel where they could tell you more.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3482179

El_Elegante fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 12, 2013

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Because many phones offer no safety step of telling you what it leads to be very careful.. there are some malicious qr codes that can brick phones/install virus/show you hello.jpg

Yeah, I don't actually have a smartphone which I guess is why I didn't know what it was. :) Seems like it'd be pretty easy to get people to ruin their poo poo with them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Not really, almost the only thing you can do is send someone to goatse. Executing code automatically was a bug on some Samsung phones that I believe got patched.

E: not that it wasn't a colossally dumb thing on Samsung's part, but its not widespread.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 12, 2013

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

What's the worst that could happen if I throw a faux leather jacket made of polyurethane into a washing machine with a small amount of detergent? I got it from a second hand store and didn't realize it was cry clean only. It smells like lady perfumes and is kinda gross :/

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The worst thing that could happen is its destroyed. Try it on a cool/gentle wash if it wasn't too expensive.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Wedemeyer posted:

What's the worst that could happen if I throw a faux leather jacket made of polyurethane into a washing machine with a small amount of detergent? I got it from a second hand store and didn't realize it was cry clean only. It smells like lady perfumes and is kinda gross :/

Take it to a dry cleaner, they are far more affordable than most people think.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does the sort of lower-case "a" that the default forums font makes (as opposed to the one that looks like an "o" with a stick on its right) have a name?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Does the sort of lower-case "a" that the default forums font makes (as opposed to the one that looks like an "o" with a stick on its right) have a name?

Double-story, as opposed to single-story for the other kind.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Why does wearing fur get such a disproportionate level of hate compared with wearing leather?

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
Because minks, stoats, rabbits, and especially (baby) seals are cuter than cows.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

John McCain posted:

Because minks, stoats, rabbits, and especially (baby) seals are cuter than cows.
Also people wearing fur are significantly less likely to beat the poo poo out of you if you throw paint on them.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

John McCain posted:

This, but also because leather is generally a by-product of the meat production process. Fur clothing is generally made from animals killed just to make the clothing. There would be cowhides and pigskins available whether or not people made clothing out of them, because people eat pigs and cows; the same usually isn't true of minks, etc.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 13, 2013

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I've been watching a lot of QI on youtube lately. Does Alan Davies ever do well on the show, or is he really just there for comedic effect? I think the best score final score I've seen him get is 0.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

stubblyhead posted:

I've been watching a lot of QI on youtube lately. Does Alan Davies ever do well on the show, or is he really just there for comedic effect? I think the best score final score I've seen him get is 0.

He's basically the comic patsy in the show. Most/all of these spontaneous group comedy quiz shows are scripted to some degree, and Alan Davies being the lovable dimwit compared to Stephen Fry's cool intelligence is the main draw.

That said, Alan Davies has the most wins with like half a dozen. But given that he's been in almost every episode, it's not the best track record.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The point of being a guest on QI is to be entertaining. If it's more entertaining to take a dive and guess something that you're clearly being baited into, then you're a better guest than the guy who is trying to win. Davies doesn't care about winning, and his role on the show is supposed to be the dumb guy so he plays it up for comedic effect. It's not that it's scripted or anything, just that he's playing into his role for laughs.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

feedmyleg posted:

The point of being a guest on QI is to be entertaining. If it's more entertaining to take a dive and guess something that you're clearly being baited into, then you're a better guest than the guy who is trying to win. Davies doesn't care about winning, and his role on the show is supposed to be the dumb guy so he plays it up for comedic effect. It's not that it's scripted or anything, just that he's playing into his role for laughs.

This is true, but it's widely accepted that a level of scripting does occur, though mainly as a springboard for improvisation rather than every gag being preplanned.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Experto Crede posted:

This is true, but it's widely accepted that a level of scripting does occur, though mainly as a springboard for improvisation rather than every gag being preplanned.
Watching the "Outtakes" or "Too Hot For TV" versions of panel shows is a good way to get a feel for how scripted they might be. It's pretty hilarious to see the interactions between the panelists that don't make it to air. Also apparently like 95% of everything Frankie Boyle says in front of a camera can never be broadcast.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I learned from the outtakes of Whose Line that Ryan Stiles really loving detests the Hoedown. It's not a scripted joke or something -- he REALLY LOATHES IT.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

tarepanda posted:

I learned from the outtakes of Whose Line that Ryan Stiles really loving detests the Hoedown. It's not a scripted joke or something -- he REALLY LOATHES IT.
Fair enough too, it's poo poo.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Can anyone recommend a really, really lightweight contact manager/call recorder?

We have a super-powerful CRM system at work, but a) it's a big clunky and slow and b) it's only designed to record 'significant' transactions.

I want something that simply lets me record things like 1 sentence notes about phone calls for maybe 20 contacts with dates. I don't need a full address book or anything fancy like that - just a list of interactions.

At the moment, I use Excel with one line per transaction - it works well, but it's a bit messy to insert a new row for each transaction, then screw around with borders to separate customers. Plus, it rapidly get unwieldy.

Outlook's CRM add-on looks great, but MS has messed around with licensing and we don't have a license for it now.

Ideally it would be free and run without having to bolt onto anything.

Os is this something I should use Access for?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

feedmyleg posted:

He also takes the lead in wildly guessing and saying dumb things to encourage the guests to do the same because it's much more entertaining when everyone's participating than if they were taking it more seriously and trying to win.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What is QI?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

SlayVus posted:

What is QI?

A TV-'quiz' where they ask seemingly obvious questions which sometimes have very tedious technical answers. It is mostly comedy and the quiz is just the background.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1sMTI_dmjU

This is QI, and there's literally hours upon hours of it on youtube. Enjoy.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Probably a dumb question, but I am trying to print an image at full size and I can't figure out how. Basically the image is printing at the preview size, but I want it to print at the size it becomes when I click the image while the little magnifying glass with a plus symbol is up. I've tried full-sizing it then hitting print, as well as copying it at full size and pasting it. Is there an easy method to doing this that I'm missing?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Honey Badger posted:

Probably a dumb question, but I am trying to print an image at full size and I can't figure out how. Basically the image is printing at the preview size, but I want it to print at the size it becomes when I click the image while the little magnifying glass with a plus symbol is up. I've tried full-sizing it then hitting print, as well as copying it at full size and pasting it. Is there an easy method to doing this that I'm missing?

Your monitor is usually lower DPI then what your printer is capable of, so something can easily look twice as big on your monitor as it prints out on paper! Where are you trying to print from?

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.

Install Gentoo posted:

Your monitor is usually lower DPI then what your printer is capable of, so something can easily look twice as big on your monitor as it prints out on paper! Where are you trying to print from?

Just trying to print a template from a thumbnail posted on another forum. When I click for full size the image size is perfect on my monitor, but when I print it it only prints at the size of the thumbnail. I looked around in my print options and found a way to adjust the size so that now it's printing correctly, but ran into a new problem in that the template is wider than a sheet of printer paper, meaning some of the template is cut off when I print.

So now I guess I need to figure out how to print it in two halves, but I think I can just crop the image in Gimp or something for that, hopefully.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
MS Word handles images and margins pretty straightforwardly. Save the image, paste it into Word, adjust your margins so they extend to the edge of the page and you should be able to print it as big as you want on a single sheet.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

I think I've seen it somewhere but cannot find it for the life of me. What are the current forum avatar limits?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

West007 posted:

I think I've seen it somewhere but cannot find it for the life of me. What are the current forum avatar limits?

From the New Avatar page:

quote:

Must be between 125x125 pixels and no larger than 30kB. Only GIF, PNG, and JPG images are allowed. Images should be "work-safe".

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I just got a new house, and we're moving next week. My garage floor is nice enough, but it would sure look better with a coat of paint on it. My dad recommends this stuff:

http://www.alphagarage.com/calculate.php

Which looks great, but it's several coats over several days, and it's $600 to say hello. I do not need it to look like Nascar, but I may live in this house for 10 or 20 years, and this may well be the only time the garage is ever empty - it is my one chance to do anything.

Any suggestions that are more in line with a half day's work and $50-$100?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
So my girlfriend is writing a paper for publication and has an issue with referencing online resources. One of the URLs is around 20 words/60 characters long, which looks dreadful and is no use for anybody reading it in print form anyhow.

My question is, could it be acceptable to use something like TinyURL to make links in a paper more reasonable? I'd guess that as part of the reason they're included is to show they are from a reputable source, so that could be a problem.

If that's not going to fly, any suggestions for either shortening this particularly bad example, or for links in general?