Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

thathonkey posted:

Uhh yeah did you forget what year it is?

He's been a feature on or produced a handful of #1s and even more top 10 hits.

Even if none of them have been in the last few years, he's still been on poo poo with huge names as recently as this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Just listened to it. It's not really blowing me away and it doesn't come close to Discovery, but I think it's a really solid comeback album. "Giorgio by Moroder" is amazing.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Popcorn posted:

Why do people get so upset when opinions are expressed without the "remember! this is my opinion!" disclaimer attached beforehand in bold? No one is pretending to be "objective" about anything. Yes, if I say an album sucks, I'm speaking only for myself: whose other opinion could I possibly be talking about?

On my wedding day, when I tell everyone at wedding that my fiancee is the most beautiful girl in the world, are you going to jump up from behind a pew and scream "maybe in your opinion!!"?

For someone who wants people to stop with the ad hominems you sure know how to deal them out. I'm just saying that the contentiousness over Internet opinions tends to stem from trying to prove some anonymous person wrong instead of engaging in any kind of productive and amicable discussion. The first few people who were critical of the album in this thread basically just blurted out an opinion in a way designed to provoke an angry response. It's a problem not at all unique to this thread and I feel like I'm just shouting at windmills here so I'm going to shut up and go enjoy the album now.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
You guys know people can purchase singles off Amazon and iTunes these days, right?

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Love the 80's Doobies feel of Fragments of Time.

I loving love the album in a completely different way than the previous albums. Maybe I'm getting old in just the right way for these kinds of tracks. Adult Soft Rock Robots are okay with me.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
A friend of mine is whining that this stuff is uninspired. I can't even fathom that opinion.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Colonel Whitey posted:

The first few people who were critical of the album in this thread basically just blurted out an opinion in a way designed to provoke an angry response. It's a problem not at all unique to this thread and I feel like I'm just shouting at windmills here so I'm going to shut up and go enjoy the album now.

I think chracterizing every negative reaction as "designed to provoke an angry response" is the bigger problem that happens in basically every thread. Like why is "This album loving kills" with no explanation more acceptable than "This album is garbage" with no follow up

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Iraff posted:

I think chracterizing every negative reaction as "designed to provoke an angry response" is the bigger problem that happens in basically every thread. Like why is "This album loving kills" with no explanation more acceptable than "This album is garbage" with no follow up

It's not and that was basically my entire point. I specifically pointed out the first few critical posts in this thread. Go back and read the first few critical posts and you'll see what I mean.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
This is going to be so fun to drive back up to Austin with tomorrow. Can't wait to memorize the lyrics, especially Within. Groovy loving album. :dance:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

thathonkey posted:

More like late 20s but yeah. I agree that it probably wont sell that well. I mean their main feature is Pharrell...

You are out of your goddamn mind. Its Daft Punk, they are loving HUGE. My social feeds have been going crazy about this album and yeah its going to do very well.

E:

SyRauk posted:

This is going to be so fun to drive back up to Austin with tomorrow. Can't wait to memorize the lyrics, especially Within. Groovy loving album. :dance:

Hahah holy poo poo I'm also driving back up to Austin and am planning on having this on repeat.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 14, 2013

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I really, really loved this album. Closed my eyes, cranked up the headphones, and this album kept surprising: Giorgio, Instant Crush, Touch, Motherboard, Doin' it Right, Contact were all nice surprises. It wasn't what I expected, but I was a fan of Get Lucky so take that as you will. I'm surprised people are calling it out on "cheesy" considering their last outings were paired with blue alien anime. It's got what I'd expect of them: repetitive tracks, experimental sounds, fun themes and all, but I can understand why the new direction of 'jazzy funk' may turn some off. Especially fans of Alive 2007, house music has come a long way since then and this is a step in the opposite direction of experimentation.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I think the album is hit or miss. I don't think it is as good as Discovery, but I think it is a really good album by itself. It isn't what I expected, but I think when it's good, it ends up really good.

FuzzyWuzzy
Jul 16, 2009
:dukedog:
I do think the album is pretty cheesy, but in an enjoyable way for sure. I was real skeptical of the hype, but still expecting a decent album. It at least measured up to my expectations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Still loving the "click" part in Giorgio. God drat the whole thing owns but that one moment made me go "wow"

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

PonchAxis posted:

Hahah holy poo poo I'm also driving back up to Austin and am planning on having this on repeat.

You don't live in McAllen by chance do you? If so, what a weird coincidence.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Still loving the "click" part in Giorgio. God drat the whole thing owns but that one moment made me go "wow"
When the guitar kicks in at 8:05 I just lose it.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...
Man This album... got divorced a few months back and just bought a car a few days ago to get my mind off the EX, I figured with this daft punk album and a new car id be set... then track 4 kicked in while i was blasting my way to work.. Within is freaking DEEP. Man, its been awhile since i have had a song conjure up emotion like that, or maybe i am just a pussy.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Like other daft punk albums, I feel like the more we listen to it. The more we fall in love with it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

SyRauk posted:

You don't live in McAllen by chance do you? If so, what a weird coincidence.

Close! My family lives in Brownsville so yeah its gonna be a long drive.

My favorite tracks so far are Give Life Back to Music, Lose yourself to dance and fragments of time.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I'm on a cruise and I literally just dropped a poo poo ton of money to grab this to listen to in the Bahamas

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Photex posted:

I'm on a cruise and I literally just dropped a poo poo ton of money to grab this to listen to in the Bahamas
Seems wasteful.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

Photex posted:

Beach Sunset + this album = epic

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I complained earlier about the track order making the whole album feel like it tripped out of the gate so I went in a reordered it in a manner that I would have preferred.

Contact
Get Lucky
Give Life Back To Music (minus first 17 seconds)
Fragments of Time (the weakest track IMO)
Giorgio By Morodor
Lose Yourself To Dance
Beyond
Instant Crush
The Game of Love
Within
Motherboard
Doin It Right
Touch

Can you seriously imagine how blown off your face would have been hearing Contact first followed by Get Lucky had it not been released as a single? I think we'd be having a much different conversation right now. Having Within and Game of Love so early in the album was the biggest mistake.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

resident posted:

I complained earlier about the track order making the whole album feel like it tripped out of the gate so I went in a reordered it in a manner that I would have preferred.

Contact
Get Lucky
Give Life Back To Music (minus first 17 seconds)
Fragments of Time (the weakest track IMO)
Giorgio By Morodor
Lose Yourself To Dance
Beyond
Instant Crush
The Game of Love
Within
Motherboard
Doin It Right
Touch

Can you seriously imagine how blown off your face would have been hearing Contact first followed by Get Lucky had it not been released as a single? I think we'd be having a much different conversation right now. Having Within and Game of Love so early in the album was the biggest mistake.

That does sound like a really good order. Ill have to give that a shot!

Cant wait to hear how this poo poo sounds live mixed in with all there other tunes.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
It's pretty drat excellent and a bit frustrating in a few places. When it really takes off it goes places where no one dares. I was really blown away by Touch . However, Lose Yourself To Dance had me cringing on first impression. Mr. P Williams just doesn't give a convincing enough performance to carry that track. Otherwise the records only problem, as always with every Daft Punk record, is that the robots have no idea what it means to say "no."

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Neat.

Am I "Doin' It Right" https://vimeo.com/66117448

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Contact is the perfect closer. I don't really dig The Game of Love, Within, Instant Crush, or Lose Yourself To Dance on my first listen, but everything else is pretty awesome. Favorites are Giorgio, Touch, Motherboard, Doin' it Right, and Contact.

Overall it's a pretty solid album, but I can totally see why some people are not into it.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I think on some level anything with this outrageous amount of hype and pretentiousness will have some blowback. More than anything else, I think many of the most vocal detractors kind of have the same mindset as that Pizza Guy collaborators video to varying degrees.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This album is so cheesy and stupid and gorgeous and fantastic.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
I liked it all right, but it was pretty disappointing on a first listen when measured against my expectations. I guess I assumed that they were going to take this cast of legends and has-beens and work them into some grand artistic vision, but really they just made a decent midtempo space disco record. That's all well and good, but for my money it's not nearly as interesting as an actual 70s space disco record because it's way too high budget and slick. Whoever said it seemed like something you'd find in the 99-cent bin was pretty on the mark. It's like when you pick up some late 70s/early 80s Motown record by some no-name, and it sounds like a million bucks but it's ultimately pretty bland, and you never really put it on, and every so often you come across it when you're browsing your collection and you're just like "oh, yeah."

The Julian Casablancas song sounds like it could have come off his solo record that everyone seemed to hate (I liked it). The Paul Williams song sounds like a reject from Phantom of the Paradise. There were a couple of tracks that were pretty much what I'd hoped the Tron score was going to sound like. Why does the song with Todd Edwards sound like Gaucho-era Steely Dan? A large majority of the record kind of sounds like something Air might have made in the last 5-10 years to little hype or fanfare-- so many vocoded ballads. Weird that they kind of rock a Big Beat rhythm here and again.

I guess maybe I'm stuck in the past with these guys a little bit because I can put on Homework and still think it sounds great, whereas this one, Tron, and the Alive 2007 record just don't excite me. I'll give it some more time to sink in, maybe I'll pick it up, but I dunno, I was playing Crydamoure tracks at high volume yesterday afternoon and having a lot more fun with that than Random Access Memories.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I guess I'm crazy, Touch is one of my favorites on the album along with Contact.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

echronorian posted:

I guess I'm crazy, Touch is one of my favorites on the album along with Contact.

:hf: I just love how Touch transforms throughout the track.

e: I've decided Fragments of Time and Beyond both sound like total filler tracks that probably should have been cut given the almost excessive length.

resident fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 14, 2013

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Album feels a bit cheesy as poo poo in some parts, bloated in others--definitely could have used some trimming down or editing on a few tracks. Those first two tracks were just loving terrible choices for the album's beginning. From there I felt it was a hit-or-miss with every other track, either a fun track or a meandering one. Not terrible, not incredible, some interesting and weird poo poo like Touch and Fragments of Time are worth the listen. Hell of a closing track, though; and I agree, that should have been first and the first two tracks cut entirely, would have made the album stronger.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
The NASA clip at the beginning of Contact gives me goosebumps.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I really wish the end of Giorgio fed into another song. The piano of 'Within' just kills the flow.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
The first two tracks are loving amazing. Agreed they should (as should most of the middle) be switched around to pace the album a bit more, but I couldn't disagree more.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Giorgio, Lose Tourself to Dance, Get Lucky, Doin' it Right, and Contact are all damned solid tracks. I've found myself skipping over some of the other tracks after hearing them just a few times. Still, at least half of this album is going to be finding a permanent home on my iPod and I can only imagine how good the remixes will be.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
After one listening where the entire time I just wanted to go listen to Homework or anything from Makeup and Vanity Set, I think part of the problem with the album is that it really flows terribly. Giorgio by Moroder was the only track I really liked (aside from Get Lucky, which had to grow on me for a looong time and which I'm still not super in love with), and the rest just felt really hamfistedly over-the-top. All of the orchestra bits just sounded uncomfortably out-of-place and just weren't really anything impressive on their own.

I guess it just feels really artificially hammy instead of naturally so, too - Discovery came about as a sort of tribute to everything that inspired them while still trying to look for their own style, whereas RAM just seems to be trying to replicate those sources wholesale, and it doesn't really come together. The lyrics are really uninspiring too; I won't try to defend Digital Love or Something About Us or Too Long because I find them to be dragged down by their singing too (Something About Us more than the others, really), but they're not nearly as overwrought as anything on this album, and I think it really shows.

I wouldn't say I hated it, but it just really bored me. It tried to compromise way too much when instead it should have just gone all-out funk or disco or anything else other than this weird smattering of mid-tempo everything, and it just kind of fizzles out. Even Contact was just underwhelming for me - it just built and built and built for no other reason than building and it didn't have any sort of resolution other than "welp that was it guys, hope you had a good time!"

Honestly it'll probably just end up in the same area as Human After All with me where I'll listen to a couple tracks on it every few months and hope the next release is different.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Listening to the album again, I have to say that the first 6 tracks ending with Lose Yourself To Dance (my favorite) are all solid.

Touch is where the flow gets killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garney
Jul 21, 2007
So I guess that contact leaked email clip floating around weeks ago was legit then.

• Locked thread