Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Onion Knight posted:

Actually, speaking of, if anyone on base can hook me up with some melatonin, I'd take as much as you could send me and I would tip generously. :pcgaming:

I brought several bottles back from Cebu, I may be able to spare one. I'll check when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

iHerb also has proper sriracha.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

DontAskKant posted:

Is iHerb giving you trouble?

yeah, unless something has changed really recently I'm not able to get it through customs.

Maxsmart posted:

I brought several bottles back from Cebu, I may be able to spare one. I'll check when I get home.

That would be awesome if you could. I only go through about 1.5mg/night so a bottle would keep me through til August, and I'll be able to cover you when I get back from the states

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You can find the real stuff in just about every foreign food store in Itaewon and also in the black market in Namdaemun.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

But its cheaper on the base. Getting stuff from base is about cost, not impossibility

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Eh, I could do worst things with my life than be Homer.

Gildiss posted:

I got peanut butter at the Lotte Mart on the corner. Really isn't much you can't get anywhere except maybe root beer? Pepperoni?

e: Wait! Sour cream.

The 711 in my building has peanut butter, and deoderant now. Those kind of things have become so much easier to find.

There's gotta be sour cream somewhere because I've gotten it at so many restaurants. They cant be importing tons of it or something.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Costco has sour cream, as do some Homepluses and Emarts. And import stores. Pepperoni I've only seen at one import store in Itaewon. You cannot get Gulden's deli mustard here. I haven't found Shaoxing wine either, though there are so many Chinese people it must be somewhere. I've never found pate or foie gras, few other things too.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any recommendations for getting teaching certification online in ESL while living abroad? I was going to use WGU but they don't service expats anymore.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Are you talking just a teaching license, or an actual degree?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Probably just the license, don't want to go too far in debt. You and the goon in Gimhae (always forget her ID) know a lot more than me so I'll take any advice.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Probably just the license, don't want to go too far in debt. You and the goon in Gimhae (always forget her ID) know a lot more than me so I'll take any advice.

I just got mine in a couple from an online for 200bux from the link in the OP. I think publics don't take ones like that anymore but publics don't take ESL teachers for the most part anymore either.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
I did my California certification almost entirely from Korea (although I did return home for the student teaching portion and to take some tests). I'm finishing up my Masters now. It was only four classes plus a thesis on top of the credential, so it seemed like a bad idea not to do it. I don't know if my school will do an ESL license, though. That might be an endorsement on top of a general license in CA.

Someone was saying this thread has been too negative, so I can complain a little.

Next Wednesday is Teachers Day. That means there is a huge, inter-school volleyball tournament (they LOVE volleyball down south). Today the gym teacher sat down at lunch and told us that I can't play anymore because foreigners aren't allowed. They said we are too strong. Have they seen the huge dude in the administration office that I'm pretty sure played in college? Racist jerks.

This was after yesterday when my principal, before agreeing to renew my contract, made me come to his office and essentially explain my worth to him, in Korean. He then told me I should speak to the students in Korean so they will like me more and learn English better.

I feel like I'm getting mixed messages here. Or maybe people aren't kidding when they say Jeonnam is hostile to foreigners.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Solution: Don't know Korean. Shrug and walk away.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Aren't you in the country? Where the gently caress are you going to find formalized Korean as a second language classes in rural Jeollonam-do? Gonna commute to Gwangju?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Not at all - your local town government almost undoubtedly hosts Korean classes for foreigners.

Just think, you and all of the farmers' mail-order wives! Buddy, if you think Korean high school is depressing~ :v:

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Onion Knight posted:

Not at all - your local town government almost undoubtedly hosts Korean classes for foreigners.

Just think, you and all of the farmers' mail-order wives! Buddy, if you think Korean high school is depressing~ :v:

Ooh Ooh now tell the story about how you found out that Korean farmers still, do in fact, have shotguns. I like that story. :allears:

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

erobadapazzi posted:

I did my California certification almost entirely from Korea (although I did return home for the student teaching portion and to take some tests). I'm finishing up my Masters now. It was only four classes plus a thesis on top of the credential, so it seemed like a bad idea not to do it. I don't know if my school will do an ESL license, though. That might be an endorsement on top of a general license in CA.

Oh really? What program did you use? I also want my license for Cali

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
The exact thing they are asking for in my province is for a TESOL cert with part of it being in class experience. Depending on the school, you may be able to do it here and have your coteacher sign off on it. If all you want is the cert and don't care about moving on to a Master's, just go as cheap as possible. If you want a master's, choose a cheap state school with an all online program.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Oh really? What program did you use? I also want my license for Cali

National University.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Arctic Baldwin posted:

But its cheaper on the base. Getting stuff from base is about cost, not impossibility

And getting someone not lazy enough to actually deliver :smith:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

nullscan posted:

And getting someone not lazy enough to actually deliver :smith:

That's the impossiblility. That reminds me I still need to mail this shirt I owe someone.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else think it's weird that people always specify whether or not someone is Korean here? even my girlfriend and coworkers will specify whether someone is a foreigner or a local. When I think about it people didn't do that in Georgia.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

GZA Genius posted:

Welp just bought my ticket to Korea. Took a year off, but this time I'm coming for a couple month vacation (buddy just got a two bedroom place in Seoul). If I bring my U.S galaxy 3 to Korea is there anyway I can use it as a phone? Or is it going to be strictly wifi only?
Depends on whether the phone is unlocked (Phones are locked to regional use as default in most cases.) and can support Korean mobile phone frequency. Out of 3 mobile phone companies in Korea (SKT/KT/LGT) 2 (SKT/KT) might support Galaxy S3 bought and unlocked in USA, but you can use your USA number in Korea as roaming phone though it will be expensive. When I'm in Korea I use my UK phone as roaming and simply re-sub my Korean phone back.

You can buy pre-paid phones in Korea if you're foreigner, but if you want to use company specific Wi-Fi and 3G/4G (If you're going to live in Seoul, all 3 companies have Wi-Fi coverage in majority of places even for subways.) then you might want to have a look at using your Galaxy S3 in Korea. I think it's just a matter of swapping SIM card if your phone is unlocked.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Has anyone taken or heard of the Korean language program at SNU Gangnam District Office?
The information I have is:
June 3 to Aug 7 every Monday and Wednesday from 6:30-8:20. Costs 300,000 won. It uses the Active Korean Series textbook.
Teaching process:
Practicing pronunciation
Basic grammar and sentence structure
Practical listening and speaking in language labs
Using audio visual materials, role playing, and games

I assume it's better than nothing, but I don't want to be stick with the same sort of Korean classes I've been to where they are targeted towards expats as a fun Korean experience and are poorly structured and very slow.

For other options, what summer programs come recommended? I always hear the Sogang one is great and the SKY ones are basically memorization.

Eldjarn
Nov 10, 2005

Puppylover
It really depends on your level I think. I'm half-way done with level 5 at Yonsei and we do very little memorization and repetition in class. That's not to say we're not expected to memorize words on our own, but if you don't memorize words(+to a certain degree hanja) your progression is going to be extremely slow. My anki deck for this semester is approaching 2000 new words, I expect it to be more than 3000 by the time I'm done next month.

We cover 4 grammar points per week (2 per chapter, 1 chapter over two days with review on fridays) - usually with specific themes. The first two hours are spent going over new vocab and grammar, the third hour is split between reading(2 hours per week) and a course we choose at the beginning of the semester(hanja for me, 3 hours per week). In the last and final hour of the day we do specific reading, listening or writing exercises and discuss them afterwards.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

DontAskKant posted:

Has anyone taken or heard of the Korean language program at SNU Gangnam District Office?
The information I have is:
June 3 to Aug 7 every Monday and Wednesday from 6:30-8:20. Costs 300,000 won. It uses the Active Korean Series textbook.
Teaching process:
Practicing pronunciation
Basic grammar and sentence structure
Practical listening and speaking in language labs
Using audio visual materials, role playing, and games

I assume it's better than nothing, but I don't want to be stick with the same sort of Korean classes I've been to where they are targeted towards expats as a fun Korean experience and are poorly structured and very slow.

For other options, what summer programs come recommended? I always hear the Sogang one is great and the SKY ones are basically memorization.

You might be too late to register. Last time to register was two Fridays ago, if it's the same program I'm thinking of. I was planning for a few months to take that class and cancelled when I realized I'd rather leave Korea than learn Korean.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

I was given the forms for it today and the deadline says May 27 but i sent an email anyway to see if it's full. Basically I want to avoid a Korean class like our public school English class. 2 weeks to learn 3 words.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I'm enrolled at Ganada hagwon atm. It's been a week but it feels alright. It's still beginner as gently caress so I'm not expecting the pace to be outrageous. It's 10am-1pm 4 days a week. I have the So gang book of the same level and at this juncture they're very similar. I guess we'll see what tune I'm singing in a few months if I'm still loving up food terms.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
Asking for a boyfriend of a friend:

I know it's kinda early, but does anyone know of any job openings/ offers at the end of August/ early September teaching kids in/ around Seoul? Elementary to high school age. Applicant is a tall white good-looking American male.

He's currently in Gwangju.

Feel free to email me (myusernamehere@hotmail.com)

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
There should be a zillion jobs if he just trolls through Dave's, Korea4Home, hiteacher, hiexpat, worknplay, gone2Korea...

Getting a job in Seoul should be a snap if he's already in Korea.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Cameron posted:

There should be a zillion jobs if he just trolls through Dave's, Korea4Home, hiteacher, hiexpat, worknplay, gone2Korea...

Getting a job in Seoul should be a snap if he's already in Korea.

That's what I said. But his girlfriend is freaking out over losing him (I guess), so I was wondering if anyone had any leads.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Kooooreaaa rooooomaaaaannnaaannnaannnceees.

Is there a chain of Korean Hagwons here? We have a UMUCC Korean 101 and 102 class on base but the hours/days never work for me, and I think the local community center has a 'This is food, this is water' super slow class.

I just need something more focused as I am the kind of guy who is too lazy to dedicate effort if there isn't money on the line if I slack off.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

nullscan posted:

Is there a chain of Korean Hagwons here? We have a UMUCC Korean 101 and 102 class on base but the hours/days never work for me, and I think the local community center has a 'This is food, this is water' super slow class.

I just need something more focused as I am the kind of guy who is too lazy to dedicate effort if there isn't money on the line if I slack off.

There's a couple. Mine has some branches, but they're just around seoul. Ybm apparently also does kr classes.

ghableska
Jul 9, 2008
Hi Korea goons! I will be heading to Seoul at the end of the month with my college class. We'll only be there for a little over two weeks, but going through the last few iterations of the thread has been helpful, or entertaining, or both. I love the vegetarian spots mapped out on Google.

We'll be staying at the ShinChon Hostel in Seoul and I was wondering if you know of any interesting spots and places to eat nearby.

Most of our days are pretty regimented, but we do get one weekend (6/8 to 6/10) completely free. Are there any recurring weekend events worth checking out- and where would I check for other things of that nature?

ps: could I get added to the Kakao group as well? Same as my SA username (ghableska)

Eldjarn
Nov 10, 2005

Puppylover

ghableska posted:

Hi Korea goons! I will be heading to Seoul at the end of the month with my college class. We'll only be there for a little over two weeks, but going through the last few iterations of the thread has been helpful, or entertaining, or both. I love the vegetarian spots mapped out on Google.

We'll be staying at the ShinChon Hostel in Seoul and I was wondering if you know of any interesting spots and places to eat nearby.

Most of our days are pretty regimented, but we do get one weekend (6/8 to 6/10) completely free. Are there any recurring weekend events worth checking out- and where would I check for other things of that nature?

ps: could I get added to the Kakao group as well? Same as my SA username (ghableska)

I live right next door and while the selection here is decent, most of the shops are for shoes and clothes. There's a decent ShabuShabu place(part of a chain) called 정성본샤브수끼(Jung Sung Bon Shabu Suki) just one street north, but to be honest you should be heading west towards Shinchon when you head out for dinner. There are a ton of good restaurants between Ewha and Shinchon, for instance 닭한마리(literally just "One chicken") on Yonsei-ro 2-Gil. If you for some reason can't find a good place on the way, there are a ton of good places in Shinchon.
If you want to travel a bit to eat great food for cheap, take the subway to Noryangjin(노량진) by taking line 2 to City Hall, then transferring to line 1 and heading south across the river. Noryangjin is known for its cheap, great food - both in the form of street food as well as cozy small restaurants. It is also the home of the largest indoor fish market in Asia(I think).

I just realized you like the vegetarian map, so you might be a vegetarian - I would highly recommend trying not to be one(if possible) for your stay here.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah vegetarianism isn't really a thing in Asia except for a sect in India. You can do it but you're basically going to be eating bean sprouts at the same cult-run restaurant for two weeks. Absorb the local culture.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

nullscan posted:

Honestly, I grabbed the same Sogang book from those classes. After I was done with 101 my professor hooked me up with a broke college student to tutor me. I paid like 30k won for a 2 hour session + coffee. Retarded cheap, but you have to get real lucky to find a good teacher.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I highly suggest trying Okonomiyaki while you're here, even though it's Japanese food. You can get it made vegetarian, just add cheese instead of meat or something. I think pork fat is used to grease the grill, though, so keep that in mind. There a good place called Fugetsu (후게츠) here in Sinchon.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

I thought summer would be a good time for Korean class, but I'm not finding much of anything that doesn't conflict with my schedule (the one that even allows me to stay in the country).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have my second graders write words on their own little whiteboard as phonics practice. Today I had them trying "face." There were about four kids in a block at the center of the classroom. Apparently there was some "cunning" going on because all four of them showed me signs saying "fag." Big grins on all of their faces, of course.

My face was basically: :crossarms:

... How the hell do you get the "g" sound out of face? I swear they were loving with me.

• Locked thread