Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Vegetable Melange posted:

Everyone likes falafel. Or they're wrong. Whichever.

There's this restaurant called "falafels" around my school that I eat at with some of my colleagues, but they've never tried the falafels there, and I can't convince them to. It's all I ever have and it's so drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

Vegetable Melange posted:

Everyone likes falafel. Or they're wrong. Whichever.

To be a devil's advocate there is a lot of tremendously lovely falafel out there, and if somebody gets a bad one, it can really ruin their whole experience.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I am not sure I understand what the One True Falafel is supposed to be like. I was talking about this to a friend the other day - I've had lots of falafel, and I have liked most of it - but I don't think I've ever had any falafel that just makes me go like 'woah, that's a loving good falafel, I could eat that 7x a week!'

I've made it myself a few times - it can be more or less flavorful, have more or less of a crunch, be more or less dense, I just don't think I've found the alpha recipe yet or something.

(I'm contrasting this to like, döner, or some salads I really love, or some awesome rice dishes or whatever, which I could totally eat 7x a week)

{or in the case of döner, which I did eat 7x a week at points}

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
You should try making Egyptian-style falfel with broad beans instead of chickpeas, if they're made right they can be amazing.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

mindphlux posted:

I am not sure I understand what the One True Falafel is supposed to be like. I was talking about this to a friend the other day - I've had lots of falafel, and I have liked most of it - but I don't think I've ever had any falafel that just makes me go like 'woah, that's a loving good falafel, I could eat that 7x a week!'

I've made it myself a few times - it can be more or less flavorful, have more or less of a crunch, be more or less dense, I just don't think I've found the alpha recipe yet or something.

(I'm contrasting this to like, döner, or some salads I really love, or some awesome rice dishes or whatever, which I could totally eat 7x a week)

Best falafel I ever had was from this syrian expat guy years ago who ran a shop near my work. He'd comp me free tea and bullshit about Alabama football, and he served falafel that had the look (and mouthfeel) of southern skillet sausage. Crispy on the outside but meaty and supple within. The round ones are okay, but whatever he did to make his falafel, I have no idea what it was, but it owned.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Casu Marzu posted:

Hey hey if you wanna see how not to handle your online presence as a business, click here https://www.facebook.com/amysbakingco
So that's what it takes to get Ramsay to actually give up on a place on KN.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Casu Marzu posted:

Hey hey if you wanna see how not to handle your online presence as a business, click here https://www.facebook.com/amysbakingco

:psyduck:. Anyone got a link to this episode, or wanna give a rundown of what happened? I'm curious, this sounds crazy.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 14, 2013

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Manuel Calavera posted:

:psyduck:. Anyone got a link to this episode, or wanna give a rundown of what happened? I'm curious, this sounds crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6LY7TJ16pg

I just watched it. It's pretty loving mindblowing.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

You guys better stop. I hear the police have been calling people. :v:

Roooooooofl.

Context:
http://m.facebook.com/amysbakingco?id=176091292899&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Famysbakingco&_rdr#!/photo.php?fbid=10151532662072900&id=176091292899&set=a.10151532662042900.1073741825.176091292899&refid=17

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 14, 2013

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
I just finished watching the KN episode and that lady (and her husband, let's be fair) are loving terrifying. The worst possible people to have a restaurant, my god.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I was thinking while watching the episode that for sure they must have watched their episode and realized what tools they are. But nope, starting shitfights on the internet still. Sadly enough this makes me want to try their food. Not enough to venture into Arizona though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

Yeah, exactly the same. I also find most falafel a bit dry.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
lol, thank you GWS. just watched that episode and holy lol.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
yeah seriously holy loving poo poo

edit:
"we can't find people who will work hard"
"in ARIZONA?"

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 14, 2013

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
That was a precious, precious gift. I have a special place in my heart for Scottsdale. And now I have a special spot in my heart for Amy's.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
seriously if you can't staff a restaurant when you are a stones throw from mexico you are racist retarded or probably both

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

mindphlux posted:

lol, thank you GWS. just watched that episode and holy lol.

Arrrrgh!! Why do I have to go to work!?!?!

I only had time to watch the first half!

I may have to hide in my office during lunch and finish this bucket of poo poo.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

NosmoKing posted:

Oh god, do. The second half is so much worse, though it includes a cathartic ending.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

NosmoKing posted:

In the second half it's just them sitting down with Gordon, her going crazy, and Gordon removing the cameras for the show, walking out saying he can't help them. No service happens, no other staff are in the scene, just those three.

edit: I'm totally wrong, the second part is the service, sorry. First 10min of part 2 is the dinner service, last 10min of part 2 is what I described.
No wonder why they are so crazy on their facebook page, all hope lost, no help happened, and they remain completely delusional.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:58 on May 14, 2013

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Vagueabond posted:

Oh god, do. The second half is so much worse, though it includes a cathartic ending.

That is one of the best things I've ever seen.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
The only other episode that compares for me is 'Piccolo Teatro'. The woman who ran that is now a very expensive prostitute. I had given up after that, thinking nothing could top it. I have never been so pleased to be proved wrong.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Fo3 posted:

In the second half it's just them sitting down with Gordon, her going crazy, and Gordon removing the cameras for the show, walking out saying he can't help them. No service happens, no other staff are in the scene, just those three.

edit: I'm totally wrong, the second part is the service, sorry. First 10min of part 2 is the dinner service, last 10min of part 2 is what I described.
No wonder why they are so crazy on their facebook page, all hope lost, no help happened, and they remain completely delusional.

In my old age, my atheism is mellowed.

I have adopted quite the live and let live attitude. Only that, but I often see lots of good things that people of faith do, In fact I always have.

I wife drags me to church on Sunday and I go. I listen about helping about not everything is about yourself and about being grateful for what you have and willing to share it with those who need help. Messages of love, compassion, sharing, and appreciation and joy.

Okay, so you throw some fairytale on top people buy into it. I could even buy into this without the fairytale. These are nice people. These are the kind of folks I would like to have his neighbors. These people I would like to have around my kids around my family members.

And then I hear this lady telling her how God send her her husband and how God wants her to be a chef and how apparently God is magic.

All of the sudden, the cranky rises up in a big way.

I'm not a Christian. These Dickheads are less of one than me. At least I act the part and buy into 90% of the message.

I can't wait until lunchtime!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Molly Bloom posted:

The only other episode that compares for me is 'Piccolo Teatro'.
Just checking, but that's the UK series with the scottish woman running a vegetarian restaurant in Paris right?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I don't think I've ever seen Ramsay enjoy the food, the kitchen and the restaurant. This is messing with my head.

E: Especially her "kids". What the gently caress is wrong with this woman? :psyduck:
I'm gonna spoiler that for people who haven't seen it yet.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 14, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Ahahah holy poo poo he walked out completely. I watch the show as background noise sometimes and I've never seen that happen (haven't seen all the episodes).

Absolutely insane.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I've only seen the UK series before. The censorship on swearing in any lifestyle/reality show aired in the US drives me insane.
*Beep* *Beep* *Beeeeeep* *Beeep* *Beep* *Beep* *Beeeeeep* *Beeep* *Beep* *Beep* *Beeeeeep* *Beeep* *Beep* *Beep* *Beeeeeep*
At least in the UK series Ramsey can say loving hell! Or gently caress off! And I don't have to listen to that annoying *beep*

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 14, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

It seems like this should be linked beside the episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nexQhKIx39Q

And 2010. They've been doing this poo poo for 3 years.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Fo3 posted:

Just checking, but that's the UK series with the scottish woman running a vegetarian restaurant in Paris right?

Yes. It is amazing. I know he goes on and on about running a vegetarian restaurant in France being the wrong thing to do, but it does actually happen. And works- I know a lot of vegetarians here (and in Alsace it's hard to get a coffee without pork).

The two episodes have a lot of the same elements:(Sugar) Daddy fronting the money, Insane chef....

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

therattle posted:

Yeah, exactly the same. I also find most falafel a bit dry.
Falafel demands toppings, which are moist. It's a cliched response (given that, by # of patrons served, it is THE most popular restaurant by far in Paris - and probably, for strictly falafel, in the world) but L'As du Falafel in the Marais is my gold standard for falafel due to how consistently good it is.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Molly Bloom posted:

(and in Alsace it's hard to get a coffee without pork).

What?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Hey all.

Wiggles: sorry about your piss-pipes, that sucks to have your honeymoon ruined. A hurricane cancelled mine, but we rescheduled and it went fine from there.

I thought my fanboyism had no bounds:

Nope. Wife outdoes me. She got up to the mic first for the Q&A part, asked for a hug. Hah. She was still giddy this morning.

We do have some decent kebab in the states, at least in the DC area. Not nearly enough though.

pr0k fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 14, 2013

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

I'm teasing. But everything has lardons here. it is God's own country.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Molly Bloom posted:

I'm teasing. But everything has lardons here. it is God's own country.

This is a good thing :btroll:

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

pr0k posted:

Hey all.

Wiggles: sorry about your piss-pipes, that sucks to have your honeymoon ruined. A hurricane cancelled mine, but we rescheduled and it went fine from there.

I thought my fanboyism had no bounds:

Nope. Wife outdoes me. She got up to the mic first for the Q&A part, asked for a hug. Hah. She was still giddy this morning.

We do have some decent kebab in the states, at least in the DC area. Not nearly enough though.

Hey, I just saw him and Eric Ripert a few weeks ago. Guess which one hauled off and punched an old man in the face. The answer may surprise you.

Alsatians, due to their Teutonic heritage, have been unable to adopt the carefully constructed regimen of coffee, cheese, pastries, wine and cigarettes that have allowed the French to remain in a state of perpetual thin ennui for centuries.

vvv

Skrill.exe fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 14, 2013

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Doh004 posted:

This is a good thing :btroll:

Oh, yes. Alsace is living proof that not all French people are thin. It is all sausages, sauerkraut, bacon and beer (which I am not allowed) here. Munster cheese, too, which I am also not allowed to have because of Listeria.

I only miss Scotland sometimes.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

No Wave posted:

Falafel demands toppings, which are moist.

True dat. Moist vegetables, lettuce, humous, fried aubergine, tahini and/or garlic sauce - but that then is not falafel, but a shwarma in which the falafel is a component.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

therattle posted:

True dat. Moist vegetables, lettuce, humous, fried aubergine, tahini and/or garlic sauce - but that then is not falafel, but a shwarma in which the falafel is a component.

I thought shwarma was the meat version? Falafel is falafel in pocket bread no matter what the sauce. Sour cream and garlic or greek yoghurt with mint with some chilli garlic sauce* would be my pick.
*not huy fong style chilli and garlic but redhawk's grounds for divorce sauce type garlic and chilli sauce. http://redhawkpeppers.com/
I don't really ever show much support for anything, but this guys sauce is the best chilli garlic sauce. I knew him ages ago when I was in chilli growing forums. Basic Grounds For Divorce is just real nice spicy and garlicky, the XXX version is only a little bit hotter, but hits the spot exactly for anyone used to a bit of heat. Edit: most other sauces are good too, but I haven't tried the full range since postage costs so much to Australia.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 14, 2013

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

OK everybody make this ASAP (don't skimp on the walnuts) this is some GOOD poo poo

http://turmericsaffron.blogspot.no/2010/06/eggpalnt-kookoo-kookoo-bademjan.html

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Doh004 posted:

Ahahah holy poo poo he walked out completely. I watch the show as background noise sometimes and I've never seen that happen (haven't seen all the episodes).

Absolutely insane.

I had to get back to work after Gordon went out into the restaurant and told the patrons that the ravioli were frozen premade and not fresh

I can't wait to finish this when I get home!

If I die in a car crash on the way, it's because I was watching the rest on my phone while driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Oh my god this episode is a perfect storm of every wrong thing an owner has done in 6 seasons of KN, plus a big bag of extra psychological disorders.