Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Eh, it's actually not that bad the way it feeds into Get Lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'd probably do a 180 on Touch if I could get an instrumental.

(Edit) I know everyone has opinions and that's fine.... I am super intrigued by what tastemakers and well-known critics are going to say. Not because their opinion is any more important, but just because they tend to have a lot of ears/sway, so I find myself curious as to how thy will fall with regard to this album.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 14, 2013

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Feenix posted:

I'd probably do a 180 on Touch if I could get an instrumental.

I feel like it would have been better vocoded until the last 30 seconds after the silence. Some competent music person please do this TIA.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Just got through first listen. While I love the live drums on most of the midtempo-slowerpace groovy stuff, the live drums on Contact and then in Giorgio where it goes crazy kind of kill the mood for me. It sounds way too clean or something and doesn't really clash with the sounds well. That said there's a good solid 5-7 tracks here, and I'm sure the others will get better once I listen to them more. Pretty good album. Can't say it's amazing from start to finish, but there's some great gems in here.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I changed my mind. 90% of Touch, even as instrumental, is just gimmick sound effects. The end is alright.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I like it. Love some of it, don't love other parts, dislike some parts. I get what the detractors are saying about it sounding a little too studio-y and clean and bland, but overall I think it redeems itself and stays interesting. LOL at the numerous vocal detractors in this thread saying "if you like this then you must not listen to very much dance/funk/disco/prog/adult-contemporary/any-kind-at-all music :smug:".

I respect them for trying something, but for the most part I'm not sure if this style of music is their forte. Sometimes they nail it (I still think "Get Lucky" is loving awesome) but sometimes they don't. On my first listen, I'd give this album a B. That being said, I can see this being an album that grows on me, so I'm far from disappointed!

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Seems like my major Daft Punk fan friends have been pretty meh after listening to the stream.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

resident posted:

I complained earlier about the track order making the whole album feel like it tripped out of the gate so I went in a reordered it in a manner that I would have preferred.

Contact
Get Lucky
Give Life Back To Music (minus first 17 seconds)
Fragments of Time (the weakest track IMO)
Giorgio By Morodor
Lose Yourself To Dance
Beyond
Instant Crush
The Game of Love
Within
Motherboard
Doin It Right
Touch

Can you seriously imagine how blown off your face would have been hearing Contact first followed by Get Lucky had it not been released as a single? I think we'd be having a much different conversation right now. Having Within and Game of Love so early in the album was the biggest mistake.

The way you've arranged the tracks completely changes the overall mood and flow of the album for the better I think. Listened to it normally twice and now once through like this while relaxing after work and it's almost a completely different experience.

Touch is much more enjoyable as the last track.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Wait, I thought Daft Punk was an electro/dance band, what is this hour and 15 minutes of REM-inducing smooth jazz?

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Loving this album. Lots of great standout songs and the entire album is really strong. I can't shake the feeling at track 11 feels a little out of place but otherwise I'm thrilled.

I just can't get over how hard the guitar grooves in Lose Yourself to Dance. By far my favorite moment in the album

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Here's my thoughts:

Do you enjoy Off The Wall? How about the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack?

If you answered yes to either of those, you'll like the album. I happen to. Many may not.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Man, I would love a DP-Panda Bear collab album.

e: I could even settle for an EP

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Doin' It Right really is the standout track on here I think. It's crazy how good it is with how simple it is. The bass comes out of loving nowhere, and those handclaps are the best I've ever heard.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Not a whole lot of love for Fragments Of Time, huh? It's my favorite :( I really love the whole album, though! I'm glad they tried something different.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
This album makes me want to listen to the Alan Parsons Project. I dig it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

deadbian posted:

Like other daft punk albums, I feel like the more we listen to it. The more we fall in love with it.

Maybe you.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Blast Fantasto posted:

Do you enjoy Off The Wall?

It's one of my favorite albums, so I rather enjoyed this, the Whitest Early Michael Jackson Tribute Album U Know.

Popcorn posted:

This is a tasteless adult contemporary prog-disco disaster of an album with sparkling Disney production values. It sounds like early 90s Genesis.

This is definitely the Quote of the Thread, and I still like the album.

And holy poo poo, Contact :stare: It's like Daft Punk saw all the criticisms coming and were like "Is this what you want, is it?!" and just made the most confrontational, bombastic track they could to close out the album. I felt like my head was going to explode by the end.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Has this been posted yet?

http://gauntletgallery.com/shows/daft_punk/daft_punk_promo.html

quote:

Gauntlet Gallery is proud to present “ReDiscovery”, an art show inspired by the French electronic music duo Daft Punk. To celebrate the release of Daft Punk’s first album in eight years, Gauntlet Gallery will feature works by over 40 painters, sculptors , digital and screen print artists, each of whom has created an original work of art inspired by Daft Punk.

With their modern disco sound and blend of house, funk, electronic and techno music, Daft Punk puts on one of the world’s most popular DJ performances. Their musical talent is matched only by the extraordinary visuals of their live performances. Daft Punk’s highly anticipated Random Access Memories is their fourth studio album and the first since the 2005 release of Human After All.

Gauntlet Gallery’s “ReDiscovery” debuts on May 18th with an opening night reception from 7pm to 10pm. The show will be on view until June 15th, 2013. Located at 1040 Larkin Street in San Francisco, Gauntlet Gallery’s hours are 12-7pm Tuesday through Saturday, and by appointment.

RSVP to opening event: http://www.facebook.com/events/549370248437169

Participating artists :
Aaron Jasinski, Andre De Freitas, Andrew Turner, Andrew Spear, Bennett Slater, Brad Hill, Brandon Schaefer, Cam Floyd, Campbell Whyte, Craig Drake, Dan Almasy, Dan Howard , Dave Greco, Gene Guynn, Gina Kiel, Jaime Cervantes, Jason Ratliff, Jason Liwag, Jen Rome, Jenn Mann, Jeremy Bernstein, Johannah O'Donnell, John Larriva , Joseph Vetoe, Justin VanGenderen, Liam Brazier, Mathias Valdez, Matt Leuing, Mike Bell, Nimit Malavia, Paul Shipper, Peter Adamyan, Phil Noto, Phillip Ellering, PJ McQuade, Rich Pellegrino, Rob Loukotka, Ruben Ireland, Ruel Pascual, Sam Ho , Scott Listfield, Serge Gay Jr, Soey Milk, Tim Maclean, Vaughn Pinpin, Will Arvin.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

blugu64 posted:

This album makes me want to listen to the Alan Parsons Project. I dig it.

Have you heard his album A Valid Path from 2004? it has a lot of remastered stuff on it along with some awesome collabs(david gilmour, shpongle, crystal method)

This remaster/remix of a Recurring Dream within a Dream is top notch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIELATYxwyg

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Kind of off topic, but the grooveshark link I originally found actually had the tracks on autoplay in reversed order, and I'm wondering if a lot of people didn't listen to that same link without realizing. I've been seeing a lot of posts along the lines of "the first two tracks were great," which seems strange to me because Give Life Back to Music and The Game of Love both seemed pretty bland, relative to Contact and Doin' it Right. Also, a few posts like...

unpurposed posted:

Listening to the album again, I have to say that the first 6 tracks ending with Lose Yourself To Dance (my favorite) are all solid.

Touch is where the flow gets killed.

...kind of make me wonder if people didn't see the reversed track list in the Grooveshark links that made the rounds. I'm not trying to discredit anyones' opinions on the album's flow or anything, just wondering if some people aren't accidentally listening to it backwards.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
This album effectively mixes 70s disco, Steely Dan, prog rock, and house music. So basically it's like all of my favorite things on one record :allears:

I get bummed out when I see people talk about "cheese." Maybe I'm just immune, because, again, my interests are Rush and Night on Disco Mountain, but to me it just sounds like really lush and organic production. I like that in my music. It's why I like ELO and The Moody Blues. This album is like that but coming from a house background instead of R&B or rock. It's pretty fascinating.

e: oh my god, Fragments of Time is loving fantastic. I really want to hear a version of it with Donald Fagan on vocals.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 14, 2013

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Within is haunting me.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.

Popcorn posted:

I think it's mostly boring and cheesy, but if nothing else I'm impressed at how different it is. It makes me wonder why their first three albums were comparatively so similar-sounding.

e: there's a lot of Glados autotune on this album. Not Daft Punk robot voices, but Glados robot voices.
Is there a technical term for this? It's definitely very fatiguing. The vocoding in Discovery I really enjoyed, but this is awful. I can't listen to Within at all.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I think this music goes well with Electroma. Somebody needs to make a mix, I think.

Modest Mike
Oct 23, 2008

Upon your feet you have ten toes, they look just like...
po-ta-toes!
Album is alright, Doin' it Right is the standout and i wish in some bizarro world daft punk + panda would make an entire album. Giorgio is also really drat good. Touch is awful though, what a poo poo track.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

So after listening to this album about 10 times I've started putting a playlist together of artists similar to Daft. Can you guys recommend any songs/artists? I know some Justice (Dance, Genesis, civilization)and Kavinsky but I've got nothing beyond that. Im looking for songs that just get you hyped and make you feel fantastic ya know the way Alive 2007 does.

bonzaisushi fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 14, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bonzaisushi posted:

So after listening to this album about 10 times I've started putting a playlist together of artists similar to Daft. Can you guys recommend me any songs/artists? I know some Justice (Dance, Genesis, civilization)and Kavinsky but I've got nothing beyond that. Im looking for songs that just get you hyped and make you feel fantastic ya know the way Alive 2007 does.

Every EDM album released between 2006-2009.

But seriously, a few that hold up really well for me are the first MSTRKRFT album, Bag Raiders and Danger.

Also, I haven't heard much Breakbot but from judging from what I have heard it's pretty much the new Daft Punk album only better.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 14, 2013

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

But seriously, a few that hold up really well for me are the first MSTRKRFT album, Bag Raiders and Danger.

Completely forgot about Mstrkrft, good looking out. They definitely have that vibe im looking for on this playlist.

Edit: checking out breakbot as well, you are the man!

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

bonzaisushi posted:

So after listening to this album about 10 times I've started putting a playlist together of artists similar to Daft. Can you guys recommend any songs/artists? I know some Justice (Dance, Genesis, civilization)and Kavinsky but I've got nothing beyond that. Im looking for songs that just get you hyped and make you feel fantastic ya know the way Alive 2007 does.

Have you tried "Part IV" by Fred Falke?

KrazyKosher
Jul 15, 2006
I really wanted to like this album, I did. But calling this album good is really going overboard. Look, I'm not trying to elicit any anger here, but 75% of the positive reviews of this album are people like you and me trying to talk themselves into being impressed. For all the production and collaboration that went into this album, all of the bells and whistles, its really just uninspired and boring. All their work to make a lifelike human album just made them sound purely mechanical, formulaic, and boring. Maybe they wanted to sound like soulless robots made this album, because that's the impression I'm getting.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

Also, I haven't heard much Breakbot but from judging from what I have heard it's pretty much the new Daft Punk album only better.

Seconding Bag Raiders, although it's a little more electro pop than disco/funk house. Nonetheless, "Shooting Star" is the best song, and the rest of the album is really loving good too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Seconding Bag Raiders, although it's a little more electro pop than disco/funk house. Nonetheless, "Shooting Star" is the best song, and the rest of the album is really loving good too.

Also, their first Ep was loving killer and got no love when it came out. Nil by Mouth is one of my favorite songs and Fun Punch is insanely catchy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdMmyWeybuQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZcmg4-Zm-8

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 14, 2013

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Goddamn, what an awesome album. I played it on the way home from work loud in the car with the sunroof open (it was 100 degrees in LA today) and it was just perfect. The game of love is loving sexy as hell, something about us part 2 is exactly what i wanted, giorgio by moroder is awesome, lose yourself to dance owns, get lucky is awesome as always, the second half of motherboard is amazing, fragments of time is great, doing it right is my favorite on the album, and contact left me breathless by the end.

Not a huge fan of within, but love pretty much the rest.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I like the album. I like the album even MORE in the context of knowing what their earlier stuff sounds like-- it really sounds like the robots were stripped bare to nothing but their disco processors, and their 4-on-the-floor-motherboards were thrown into the trash. It's almost like they took Something About Us and made an entire album more in that vein. That being said, I am not in love with Contact and I do wish there were more "dance your rear end off" instead of "slow dance" songs. I think there is an interesting amount of actual emotion in these songs, Game Of Love in particular, I can see myself shedding some tears to that song. Giorgio is a banger, obviously. It definitely feels like an album that I will not be getting tired of very quickly, but that will be lost on those who wanted a more energetic house record. Very brave move on Daft Punk's part and I appreciate it thoroughly, but at the same time I hope they do not wait 6 years to release their next record.

Basically, instead of pulling you to the dance floor, a lot of this record is meant to haunt you and just sound beautiful.

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 14, 2013

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

This album effectively mixes 70s disco, Steely Dan, prog rock, and house music. So basically it's like all of my favorite things on one record :allears:

I get bummed out when I see people talk about "cheese." Maybe I'm just immune, because, again, my interests are Rush and Night on Disco Mountain, but to me it just sounds like really lush and organic production. I like that in my music. It's why I like ELO and The Moody Blues. This album is like that but coming from a house background instead of R&B or rock. It's pretty fascinating.

e: oh my god, Fragments of Time is loving fantastic. I really want to hear a version of it with Donald Fagan on vocals.

Obviously I'm a fan of Steely Dan (see the Steely Dan Megathread) but i'm glad i'm not the only one who heard some influence there, especially in "Georgio By Moroder".

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Glad we waited all these years for Daft Punk to release a concept album based around Starbucks background music.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Glad we waited all these years for Daft Punk to release a concept album based around Starbucks background music.

I spend a lot of time in Starbucks and this does not sound like that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Is there a way for me to hear this album without iTunes? Because I don't like iTunes.

After hearing all of what people here are saying, I'm looking forward to it even more because people are comparing it to my favorite parts of Discovery: The stuff like One More Time, Something About Us, and Face to Face. I kept saying to one of my friends that literally all I want out of a new Daft Punk album is music like that, and he kept saying that wasn't gonna happen, but it sounds like it did!

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Cleretic posted:

Is there a way for me to hear this album without iTunes? Because I don't like iTunes.

After hearing all of what people here are saying, I'm looking forward to it even more because people are comparing it to my favorite parts of Discovery: The stuff like One More Time, Something About Us, and Face to Face. I kept saying to one of my friends that literally all I want out of a new Daft Punk album is music like that, and he kept saying that wasn't gonna happen, but it sounds like it did!

There is a lot more "Something About Us" on here than the other two, be forewarned.

I noticed I think I like just the robot vocalists better than the guest vocalists, except Panda Bear is pretty awesome (and I do not listen to Animal Collective) and Mr. Moroder :shrug:

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Cleretic posted:

I'm pretty sure Grooveshark still has the album up on the website.

I do get a lot of 'Something About Us' vibes from some of the songs, especially 'Beyond', but it's nowhere near as good sadly. Just evokes a lot of the same things to me.

• Locked thread