Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Dramatika posted:

OK, dumb question - let's say I forgot to roast coffee last night and don't have any ready to go this morning - how bad is it to brew coffee that hasn't had a chance to degas for the proper amount of time? Say, 30 mintues as opposed to 12 hours?

Gotta do what you gotta do. Grind it a little earlier than you normally do so it has a bit of time to degas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

dusty posted:

Mechanics help - my dispersion screen is held on by a 14mm brass bolt looking thing which I'm finding impossible to move. It's quite a short height and when I tried a socket on it it uselessly nibbled away at the head and didn't shift it. Any tips for getting this off? Pretty sure it's a year or two overdue for a clean in there. Ideally I'd like to replace it with a slotted screw for easy removal for cleaning once a month or whatever. This is a 58mm Brasillia group - mini lady.
I'm really grossed out by the idea of only cleaning the dispersion screen once a month, but i work in high volume coffee and once a day isn't enough for this old machine. Dispersion screws and bolts are nearly always super soft metal in extremely proprietary sizes, which is real lovely the second one gets sick and needs to be drilled out as it's not unheard of for those things to cost fuckin' fifteen dollars. If you're down with some hardcore cleaning afterwards, you could wait until the metal is cold then spray that poo poo with some WD40, or preferably a less noxious lubricant, and just try again but it'll be rough elbow work. Otherwise, order a new one online and get a power drill out and really gently and slowly drill straight upwards.

I'm not familiar with your machine though; there's probably a way nicer and less destructive way of doing this.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Dramatika posted:

OK, dumb question - let's say I forgot to roast coffee last night and don't have any ready to go this morning - how bad is it to brew coffee that hasn't had a chance to degas for the proper amount of time? Say, 30 mintues as opposed to 12 hours?

You're going to literally die from doing this, the gas is poisonous.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Aussies interested in a cheap vacuum pot - The Bodum "Pebo" is on sale on Catch of the Day for $40 (and about $8 shipping or so). Haven't used the unit myself but pretty keen to give it a go.

http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/event/20826/product/bodum-pebo-stove-1l-vacuum-coffee-maker-21310

They take forever to ship though the last time I ordered through them - I waited ~3 weeks for it to be dispatched.

(Speaking of which, Whalley are you still in Brissy? I'm pretty sure I met you at a goon meet in '08)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm getting a second hand gaggia classic next week. Legit excited about it.

I plan on using pre ground illy in it for now, until I can find a decent second hand Macap or Rancilio grinder.

I suppose I'll upgrade eventually but for now I suspect it will be a good step up from my moka pot and a good basic machine to learn to pull good shots on.

I'm already looking to get a PID for it, but I suppose I should put my money in the grinder first.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

spankmeister posted:

I'm getting a second hand gaggia classic next week. Legit excited about it.

I plan on using pre ground illy in it for now, until I can find a decent second hand Macap or Rancilio grinder.

I suppose I'll upgrade eventually but for now I suspect it will be a good step up from my moka pot and a good basic machine to learn to pull good shots on.

I'm already looking to get a PID for it, but I suppose I should put my money in the grinder first.

Do you live within a reasonable distance from a local roaster? If so, I would suggest you just go buy a pound from them and ask them to grind it for espresso, and make sure to tell them it's for a non-pressurized basket (presuming you'll be using the non-pressurized basket (just start using the non-pressurized basket)). I mean... if you really like the Illy beans/roast, then more power to you (there's some store bought stuff out there I even dig at times), but if it's just that you're stuck without a grinder, there's other options than a can of Illy.

In unrelated news, I'm back from my week in Seattle. Short story: the Streamline Espresso blend at Victrola is divine. Stumptown... meh. Fonte... mayhap my palate has shifted, as I wasn't as bowled over. I still came home with a pound of the F2.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Alleric posted:

In unrelated news, I'm back from my week in Seattle. Short story: the Streamline Espresso blend at Victrola is divine. Stumptown... meh. Fonte... mayhap my palate has shifted, as I wasn't as bowled over. I still came home with a pound of the F2.

Yeah, I thought Victrola had the best espresso of everywhere I went in Seattle. They're doing something right.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

spankmeister posted:

I'm getting a second hand gaggia classic next week.

Grinder is truly the most important part of coffee so get the best you can afford. Ground coffee does go stale really fast, so you really need the grinder right there on the bench - I'd not bother getting beans ground unless you can use them ASAP. Plus you'll be getting a completely random grind size which may or may not suit your particular basket and machine. But fresh roast beans even treated this badly will still probably taste pretty decent compared to the worst supermarket coffee. You might as well start scoping out local roasters to get an idea of good coffee and try a lb, and see what they sell and recommend.

Re:PID - its pretty easy to run a quick cooling flush with a good single boiler machine like a Gaggia Classic - which can let you get a pretty consistent shot temperature, even though this temp is unknown. Don't sweat the temperature -, you'll be way more interested in your grinder for the first month once you figure out how to surf the temp on your machine to make it consistent between shots.

I pull a 3-4 sec cooling flush after my element switches off - there's a bit of steam and sizzle as the too-hot water cools on the group, then load I the portafilter and go. It brings a litte cool water into the boiler, and quickly lowers the temp to the right zone. It does need a little give and take and a close eye on the machine, and isn't precise like a PID, but it's repeatable and consistent and gives me a stable enough temp to start learning to how to make coffee.

The Classic will run too hot at some times and too cold at others, but you can figure out how to manipulate it pretty easily. Firstly - gotta get that grinder. What's local and second hand near you?

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

GrAviTy84 posted:

Did you even read the OP?

That grinder is absolute rubbish. The grinder is the most important part for espresso. The minimum grinder you should be getting is either a Baratza Vario or a Rancilio Rocky, preferably the former. While something like your "nutjob" Capresso will work fine for press pot and pourover, its consistency isn't nearly good enough for proper espresso. You can probably get by with a Virtuoso Preciso but in the long run, if you plan to make the upgrade to non pressurized portafilters, the Vario is the way to go.

This espresso machine still has a pressurized portafilter, they rename it as "crema enhancer" but it's the same thing. This is the bare minimum type of machine someone should have if they want to get real espresso. For those paying full price, you can get a similar machine in the Saeco Aroma, refurb at SCG for $200. Again, you should at least be using a Vario or a Rocky as your grinder.

Really? Surely this is a troll.

I just ordered that burr mill coffee grinder for grinding regular coffee beans for regular coffee. It's not garbage for that purpose is it?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

A little late to the cold brew discussion from a couple pages ago, but I've been using a Toddy for the past couple summers and found the ratios/instructions provided make a great cold brew concentrate. 1 12oz bag of good beans (I prefer a darker roast) ground a bit finer than french press and a bit coarser than drip grind, to 7cups (56 fl oz) filtered water. Leave overnight (12-18 hours). Brews enough to last me a week. I also make a simple syrup using muscovado sugar which adds some nice molasses/caramel flavors without having to try to get solid sugar to dissolve in cold liquid. I usually just pour it over ice and let the ice melt a bit to dilute the concentrate. It's also really good in a 1:1 ratio with milk, kinda like an iced cappuccino. I like really low-acid coffees generally and this definitely fits the bill.

On an unrelated note, a guy at work gave me a Mochamaster that he's not using any more, I think it's this one. Never used a vacuum pot before. What are people's thoughts on them? Make a good cup? Any beginner tips I should know or guides I should read?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The Technivorm Moccamaster is the Cadillac of drip brewers. Enjoy it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
When flying, should I be checking my beans in with checked luggage or carrying it on? I'm not sure if the cold (and possibly moisture from frost?) from 30000 ft in the cargo hold is going to ruin the coffee or if it'll be fine.

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
I'm gonna be in the SF bay area and LA in a couple weeks. Anywhere I should check out?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

When flying, should I be checking my beans in with checked luggage or carrying it on? I'm not sure if the cold (and possibly moisture from frost?) from 30000 ft in the cargo hold is going to ruin the coffee or if it'll be fine.

As long as it's a commercial plane, you should be fine. The cargo holds are heated and (depending on if there are pets onboard) usually pressurized. Temps shouldn't ever drop below freezing, hence your shampoo not being frozen when you unpack. The outside temperature of -70F at 30k' isn't the temp of the hold. If you're really worried, wrap the beans in a couple layers of foil and seal in a ziploc but honestly that's overkill.

beanbrew posted:

I'm gonna be in the SF bay area and LA in a couple weeks. Anywhere I should check out?

Blue Bottle in SF is pretty awesome.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

beanbrew posted:

What are you looking for? What do you have where you are from?

e: I would suggest Philz in SF and Handsome in LA to any coffee tourist.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

beanbrew posted:

Philz, Ritual, Handsome, Blue Bottle, Bicycle, The Window, Stanza, Graffeo, and Four Barrel are all on my "gently caress why don't I just nut up and move to SF" list. I'm jealous of your future coffee experience

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Until I read the OP, I thought coffee was supposed to taste bitter enough to take the paint off a battleship. Are there any chains that serve decent coffee that have branches in Bumfuck NW Ohio? This includes Bowling Green and Toledo, if any of you are unfortunate enough to hail from here.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've been to every Blue Bottle in San Francisco and they are all consistently good, Prepare for 30+ minute waits during prime hours though. My favorite is the one at Mint Plaza since they have a kitchen and serve food. There's also Ritual in the Mission but they have a tiny store in Hayes Valley that's inside a shipping container. Bonus if you go there you can get Smitten ice cream where they make your ice cream to order with liquid nitrogen. There's also Four Barrel but the music is always way too loud and you'll see customers unironically wearing fedoras.

I don't like Philz, those guys don't do espresso and none of them seem to know what are in their bean blends.

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
Thanks for the suggestions! I grew up in the Bay Area but didn't get seriously into coffee until last year, so I don't have much experience with good coffee in the area. I figured I would get some advice on places to go to so I don't have to drink the lovely coffee my family's going to be drinking. Looking forward to hitting everywhere I missed back when I lived there.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Thanks for the pointers guys! (Not gonna deal with quoting right now, posting from phone.)

I might offend the whole thread when I say this but I've always enjoyed Illy coffee. Of the mainstream espresso brands I like them the most. But I'll definitely try to find a good roaster.

On the subject of pids, I realised I have an unused solid state relay lying around and also an arduino. All I need is a thermocouple and some small parts and I've got myself a pid. Might end up going that route since my investment will be small.

As for grinders, on the lookout for a second hand one for not $rape... :D

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
My preferred Bay Area Coffee is Four-Barrel, which I usually get from Red Rock in Mountain View. This is largely due to working for companies in Mountain View, so it's been the most convenient and best coffee when I'm in California.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

TwoQuestions posted:

Until I read the OP, I thought coffee was supposed to taste bitter enough to take the paint off a battleship. Are there any chains that serve decent coffee that have branches in Bumfuck NW Ohio? This includes Bowling Green and Toledo, if any of you are unfortunate enough to hail from here.
Toledo has a couple places; a friend of mine is from there and she has talked up a place called Bleak House that serves Intelligentsia, and she also said my shop is like a shittier version of Black Kite. I don't know where in Toledo they are though?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't like Philz, those guys don't do espresso and none of them seem to know what are in their bean blends.

This is a fair criticism, but the variety of pourovers they have there is unrivaled. That's why I asked for specifics of where and what the guy's coming from--if he's from Portland or Seattle, nothing about Ritual or Sightglass is going to be too earth-shattering.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Mandalay posted:

nothing about Ritual or Sightglass is going to be too earth-shattering.
As much as I agree, Ritual is one of my favorite roasters on the planet and I'd be letting myself down if I didn't suggest someone go visit when they have a chance. This year's Hacienda Carmona they've started releasing is so fuckin' sweet and beautiful; it's taken the place of Counter Culture's Ethiopia Haru as my favorite coffee I've had.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

As far as just pour overs go then yeah Philz is pretty good, but I don't' think it's any better than what I can do at home. So when I go to a cafe it's pretty much espresso or some specialty like Blue Bottle's New Orleans iced coffee. Also I went to Philz in the Mission and the place was a dump.

Zarthalan
Mar 28, 2013
What would be a good aeropress? Would also need a grinder, roaster, and a kettle. 120$ budget I would think, don't mind a little over or under.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Zarthalan posted:

What would be a good aeropress? Would also need a grinder, roaster, and a kettle. 120$ budget I would think, don't mind a little over or under.

I don't understand this question. There is one Aeropress.

Zarthalan
Mar 28, 2013

Mandalay posted:

I don't understand this question. There is one Aeropress.

Man I'm stupid, okay, so what about the other items I was asking about?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Save up more cash for the grinder. I would spend all $120 on a Baratza. The grinder makes the most difference in the quality of the coffee. You can do the brewing really cheaply once you have the grinder.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
I was in San Francisco recently, and the best cup I had was at Wrecking Ball. Sightglass and Fourbarrel are also great. Ritual is okay if you like super light roasted coffee. Timeless Coffee in Oakland is great as well.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Mu Zeta posted:

Save up more cash for the grinder. I would spend all $120 on a Baratza. The grinder makes the most difference in the quality of the coffee. You can do the brewing really cheaply once you have the grinder.

Well, aren't the Encore refurbs $90ish? With shipping, probably ~$100, so he does have $20 left over.
I think the next cheapest refurb is $150, so...

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I've noticed the more I drink and the more I seek out new coffees to taste I've been gravitating more and more to the light roasts to the point that the darkest coffee I've had recently was some Columbia valle de cauca roasted between a city and a city+/full city. Anyone else have this tendency?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Zarthalan posted:

Aeropress is like $20. Spend the rest on the grinder. A regular kettle and a cheapie $10 digital probe thermometer should be fine. I'd hold off on roasting for now but if you really want to jump right in, a $10 popcorn whirlypop from Goodwill should get you going.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
So who's making the go-to, reasonably priced french press nowadays? I've had a bodum glass one for probably 6 years now and it's doing great, but I'm planning on buying one for my brother and I was curious if there were any that stood out for any particular reason, not that it matters all that much as it's a pretty rudimentary brew method.

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I've noticed the more I drink and the more I seek out new coffees to taste I've been gravitating more and more to the light roasts to the point that the darkest coffee I've had recently was some Columbia valle de cauca roasted between a city and a city+/full city. Anyone else have this tendency?

I've noticed this happening myself, lately. I suspect it's because so many of the "dark roasts" I've run into were really just over-roasted and therefore not tasty.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

For all that everyone here talks about light roasts, I still drink dark roasts. I have a sensitive stomach and light roasts make me feel nauseous if I have more than a little. On the other hand, I can drink a ton of dark roast without any problems. Anyone else have this problem? Apparently it is a real thing, but I've never known anyone else who notices the effect as strong as I do.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Yes. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203806504577183293840367980.html

"If we lined up five coffees from different regions and roasted them dark, then none of us could pick them out of a lineup," says Tyler Wells, chief executive of Handsome, which sells coffee wholesale. Because quality beans, properly roasted retain more natural sweetness, Mr. Wells says that he won't offer sugar when he opens his first café in February. He adds he has served thousands of coffees at events and has never offered sugar, to the consternation of some consumers.

Many consumers erroneously associate dark-roasted coffee with "strong" coffee, Mr. Howell says.

"Strength is a matter of how much coffee to water," he says. While some drinkers enjoy the flavorful jolt of a dark coffee, "light roast rewards waiting a little bit, like letting a wine open after it has been poured," and can taste even better as it cools, Mr. Howell says. Light roasts are best enjoyed without cream or sugar because they can be naturally sweet and not bitter, he adds.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Mandalay posted:

and can taste even better as it cools, Mr. Howell says.

This is something that I find completely true as well. I actually like to take my time drinking lighter roasted coffee sipping it slowly and by the time I'm done the coffee is almost room temperature. You actually pick up different flavors as the temp changes. It's kind of cool actually.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Sipping some city roasted Queen City Harar right now and as its hitting room temp its incredibly blueberry-y and sweet. Chemex + light roasted coffees = amazing by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

rockcity posted:

So who's making the go-to, reasonably priced french press nowadays? I've had a bodum glass one for probably 6 years now and it's doing great, but I'm planning on buying one for my brother and I was curious if there were any that stood out for any particular reason, not that it matters all that much as it's a pretty rudimentary brew method.

I haven't seen anything better than bodum, they are well made. Mine's on its third carafe - i seem to go 9-12 months before I break em. I agree that though all press are all kind of the same.

There is a real technological gap there for a more advanced press - either super sturdy glass or a decent size metal unit. Hmmm...