Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I really hope that it ends up not being GTA/SR levels of combat heavy, but that's not looking likely now. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Mae posted:

I am going to be pretty disappointed if all the melee moves are lethal, though.

I dunno, the little "Enemy Killed" indicator just rings of "placeholder" to me. Being non-lethal is obviously a thing, considering how much your reputation is supposedly banking on how much lethal force you use, and we've already seen the baton used in a non-lethal manner before.

Or maybe they'll just make all the enemy guards kitten-punching assholes that have conversations about how good it felt to burn down an orphanage the night before so that there's nothing morally objectionable about killing them. It remains to be seen.

Anatharon posted:

I really hope that it ends up not being GTA/SR levels of combat heavy, but that's not looking likely now. :(

I don't really see how this gameplay made it look any more action-heavy. The only hint that the game might force an action sequence onto the player was the very first gameplay video, where it seems like the traffic accident and following shootout was needed to get the guy Aiden was going after. This demo just seems like it's saying "here's a variety of stuff that you can do/that can happen in the open world", the car chase wasn't forced and neither was the small shootout at the outpost, they both happened because the player either wanted them to happen and/or because the player let them happen, not because the developer scripted them to happen.

They've even said (or at least very heavily implied) that hacking can take the place of cover-shooting-slow-mo-action sequences if the player so desires, so I still have high hopes for it.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mae posted:

I am going to be pretty disappointed if all the melee moves are lethal, though.

Perhaps it's simply a typo. It didn't look like the character died. Maybe the text simply doesn't distinguish between a takedown and a kill

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Moartoast posted:

I dunno, the little "Enemy Killed" indicator just rings of "placeholder" to me. Being non-lethal is obviously a thing, considering how much your reputation is supposedly banking on how much lethal force you use, and we've already seen the baton used in a non-lethal manner before.

Or maybe they'll just make all the enemy guards kitten-punching assholes that have conversations about how good it felt to burn down an orphanage the night before so that there's nothing morally objectionable about killing them. It remains to be seen.

I don't really see how this gameplay made it look any more action-heavy. The only hint that the game might force an action sequence onto the player was the very first gameplay video, where it seems like the traffic accident and following shootout was needed to get the guy Aiden was going after. This demo just seems like it's saying "here's a variety of stuff that you can do/that can happen in the open world", the car chase wasn't forced and neither was the small shootout at the outpost, they both happened because the player either wanted them to happen and/or because the player let them happen, not because the developer scripted them to happen.

They've even said (or at least very heavily implied) that hacking can take the place of cover-shooting-slow-mo-action sequences if the player so desires, so I still have high hopes for it.

Agree on the hopes. It's looking like they've put alot of work into the multiple paths not all of which require you to shoot someone idea.

The sticking point, I think, is going to be world detail. How much variety in NPCs and AI is there? How much of a world is there to interact with? How much can you try to set up before a mission to help things go your way? Are there really any not completely scripted options? Not like Assassin's Creed "Go steal three boxes of archers uniforms then go kill five archers then go actually do your assassination" but like maybe resources you can develop by doing strategic actions that give you new options to play with. This particular sandbox is going to depend alot on the variety and the quality of the toys they give us to build sandcastles with. They've shown alot of potential but I'm also kinda feeling like this is almost going to be a repeat of Assassin's Creed 1. Great concepts, not enough cool poo poo to do going from one major story event to another. Not enough potential for repeated ridiculous loving around and creative new approaches. I mean, I'm sure there are alot of ways to use the tools they give you but at the same time I've seen alot of "Press x to active this lift!" and such. Sometimes it's the little things. Do I just "disrupt" the traffic lights or can I set them to green, yellow, or red as I please and get three different effects (wrecks, cars driving slowly wondering about the yellow, or just complete permanent gridlock).

That said, if we hit Watch Dogs 3 and I can fake a call to animal control and release rabid dogs into a club to clear it out except for the one dude I need to talk to who will cower in a room up top, I'll be a happy gamer. Bonus points if I then get negative rep for killing the dogs, because what kind of heartless monster shoots Old Yeller?

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 13, 2013

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

TheSpiritFox posted:

What kind of heartless monster shoots Old Yeller?

Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Has there been any substantial plot reveal yet? I've watched most of the videos but all I can glean is that everything in Chicago is on a network and this guy has a magic phone that can hack anything and there's some sort of vast, shadowy conspiracy that he's working against?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The issue with games like this is, even if they're released, the PR has already set us up to be disappointed. You'd have to be kidding yourself to think that any of the mechanics they've revealed are actually going to be as indepth as they say they are.
I mean, you can already kinda tell that by looking at the interview done by Adam Sessler where the guy says "You wouldn't think lowering a gate would be something that could help you with stealth." Come the gently caress on dude, I've been throwing rocks at the corners of rooms since 1998, distracting NPCs with other objects in the environment is nothing new. Then you realize this goes for pretty much almost everything else they're showing. The surveillance aspect is unique, but the mechanics are tired and have for the most part, already been done.
It's almost insulting for them to be trying to elevate it so much. Just loving make it look fun instead of desperately trying to earn the dogshit fake-tag of revolutionary from every half-wit with a keyboard.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

That's all really to be expected for any AAA game nowadays, especially with a new IP like this. I can at least appreciate that they've shown a lot of what they're hyping up, rather than just promising the world based on literally nothing like Todd Howard or Peter Molyneux do. We can still realistically predict that it will be a decent game with some fun and interesting concepts based purely off of what gameplay we've seen so far.

Though, that's not to say that the people already claiming that it's ~super-revolutionary~ are any less ridiculous or hilarious.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

JebanyPedal posted:

The surveillance aspect is unique, but the mechanics are tired and have for the most part, already been done.
But have they been done in an open world game? Multiple ways to complete objectives is more like Deus Ex than most sandbox games. The option to hack, shoot, or sneak is more than we usually get in these types of games.

My main fear about the game is that Microsoft or Sony are going to shower Ubi with money for exclusivity and force us to wait months for the :pcgaming: PC version :pcgaming:.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

grrarg posted:

But have they been done in an open world game? Multiple ways to complete objectives is more like Deus Ex than most sandbox games. The option to hack, shoot, or sneak is more than we usually get in these types of games.

My main fear about the game is that Microsoft or Sony are going to shower Ubi with money for exclusivity and force us to wait months for the :pcgaming: PC version :pcgaming:.

Fear Allayed :smug:

" Ubisoft's press site has filed platform listings for Watch Dogs: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC."

It was in the OP :ssh:

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Eeeeh, this is Ubisoft we're talking about here. They're pretty infamous for delaying their PC versions shortly before release, though they have been showing all of the gameplay demos on high-end PCs with "similar specs to the PS4", so I guess there's a chance of them not delaying the PC version for once.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

It's gonna be the new generation though. The PS4/Nextbox editions might have some ridiculous promotional poo poo that the PC version will never get.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's gonna be the new generation though. The PS4/Nextbox editions might have some ridiculous promotional poo poo that the PC version will never get.

As if there isn't enough promotional nonsense already.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Woah, this got an 18-rating?

What does it do to carry that?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, you can murder people with cyber-terrorism, a lot of said people are police or other armed forces, and the game takes place in a fictional version of a real city. That seems worthy of a 18/M rating to me.

Also, some of the flavor text you get with citizens says they are pro-abortion! :byodood:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Well, you can murder people with cyber-terrorism, a lot of said people are police or other armed forces, and the game takes place in a fictional version of a real city. That seems worthy of a 18/M rating to me.

Also, some of the flavor text you get with citizens says they are pro-abortion! :byodood:

That guy was pro-life. :colbert:

(The irony of him also being a tobacco exec was not lost on me, however. :v:)

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Moartoast posted:

Eeeeh, this is Ubisoft we're talking about here. They're pretty infamous for delaying their PC versions shortly before release, though they have been showing all of the gameplay demos on high-end PCs with "similar specs to the PS4", so I guess there's a chance of them not delaying the PC version for once.

I feel a little better nowadays about Ubisoft nowdays given that when they went the route of always-on DRM and activation limits and everyone hated it they publicly made it company policy never to do it again. I guess they can thank EA for moving the goalposts.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Woah, this got an 18-rating?

What does it do to carry that?

The PEGI 18 rating isn't the same as ESRB's AO. Plenty of popular games like Mass Effect and GTA are rated 18.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Peewi posted:

The PEGI 18 rating isn't the same as ESRB's AO. Plenty of popular games like Mass Effect and GTA are rated 18.

Oh right. I've been hanging around american forums for too long. :smith:

Kind of unusual to see European advertisement so early on and forgot it's not the American rating thing.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

If they do have a "My god, my recklessness in my quest for vengeance has caused untold suffering! :smithicide:" twist I hope they have the sense to make it something big, because odds are the player will have managed to do much, much worse than, say, shoot a hapless bystander, in the open world.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The Droid posted:

If they do have a "My god, my recklessness in my quest for vengeance has caused untold suffering! :smithicide:" twist I hope they have the sense to make it something big, because odds are the player will have managed to do much, much worse than, say, shoot a hapless bystander, in the open world.

My enemies are in this city, I could hunt them down, or I could push a button on my phone and make the city explode. ~Infamous 3

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

My enemies are in this city, I could hunt them down, or I could push a button on my phone and make the city explode. ~Infamous 3

I was thinking of something more like Spec Ops: The Line.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

This looks really fun but why do they still do the staggered release dates thing? "Hey it's out November 19th worldwide! Oh except Europe, you guys can wait 3 days".

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
Leaked E3 CG trailer for Watch_Dogs

http://vimeo.com/67988814

Watch it before it gets taken down. :v:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Why do a CG trailer now when the reveal was promoted as in-engine?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Funkz posted:

Oh, so it's going to be this kind of E3.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Funkz posted:

Eh, isn't Aiden Pierce the protagonist's name? Probably a leak by Ubi. I really hope this lives up to what its promising. Because drat.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
I don't care if it's CG. If this is the tone of the game, I'm squealing in joy right now. That was awesome.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Person of Interest: the Game confirmed, again.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Funkz posted:

Oooooooooooohhh this looks really drat awesome.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Definitely waiting for reviews on this one. Seems really ambitious, and I love new IPs, but having enough depth and variation in the gameplay will be key, and I'm skeptical they can pull it off.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Funkz posted:

So we're playing an NSA operative in this, right? :v:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

I'm wondering if the reason for the trailer "leak" is the whole NSA/PRISM poo poo that's going down right now, because once the "I'M WATCHING YOU" and "You'll never be free again" stuff hit, that's all I could think of, and I don't know just how shook people are right now. Don't want to make a big deal out of the game right now, so dump the trailer, minimize the hype, and hope everything dies down before the release date.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'm wondering if the reason for the trailer "leak" is the whole NSA/PRISM poo poo that's going down right now, because once the "I'M WATCHING YOU" and "You'll never be free again" stuff hit, that's all I could think of, and I don't know just how shook people are right now. Don't want to make a big deal out of the game right now, so dump the trailer, minimize the hype, and hope everything dies down before the release date.

I'm pretty sure they "leaked" the trailer to increase hype, especially due to recent events :v:

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Darke GBF posted:

Definitely waiting for reviews on this one. Seems really ambitious, and I love new IPs, but having enough depth and variation in the gameplay will be key, and I'm skeptical they can pull it off.

We're having this very discussion about Saints Row 4 in it's respective thread right now.

I agree with what was said above though. If they keep the tone of that CG trailer throughout the game I'm squealing with glee too and they can have my drat money. I'll buy this in hopes for a part 2 where they take the engine and put all of their time into the world and a few new useful features.

I had to play Assassin's Creed at least once too.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
The Ubisoft marketing team is constantly going "lol just infiltrated #ubihq #watchingu" so I qm concerned about the narrative.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

C. Everett Koop posted:

To be perfectly honest, they should probably try to capitalize on and embrace the scandal rather than try to shy away from evoking it. The whole message of Watch Dogs is supposedly that Big Brother is evil. This is a great opportunity for them to tap into the breach of trust with a message that could resonate with a lot of people. They would be really wise to market those aspects of the game as aggressively as possible while the PRISM stuff is still fresh in peoples' minds.

Thorbeef
Jul 24, 2007
I like how the phone is mightier than the gun and stuff.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

supermegaultra posted:

I like how the phone is mightier than the gun and stuff.

Considering phones these days are super-mega computers compared to 10 years ago fit into the palm of your hand, I think it's a pretty drat apt metaphor for "might" of the technological age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

C. Everett Koop posted:

Good or bad, this game seems to keep running headfirst into current events. I suppose that that is to be expected since the main character is a cyber-terrorist/vigilante but I almost wouldn't be surprised if there's one more big scandal/disaster/etc that it unintentionally parallels.

• Locked thread