Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

real_scud posted:

I'd have to agree with this. I play quite a bit of Dominion, and can usually place pretty decently in my group of friends who've played it a lot more than I.

Because of people saying Puzzle Strike could be tried for free online I've been playing a bit of it this morning to understand it and I have to say I think I've grasped how to play it well, it's definitely a lot more complicated than Dominion.

It's definitely less forgiving, since in Dominion bad planning will just give you a less efficient engine, while in Puzzle Strike bad pile management will end the game. The end result is the same but it can feel worse in PS. That was one of BL's big complaints about it, but on the flip side sucking at Dominion can be frustrating as you watch your opponents hoover up Provinces and you know you're hosed halfway through the game but can't end it.

Also, if you have any questions about PS, feel free to ask. Apparently we have a lot of players here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

HondaCivet posted:

Are there any not-super-complex co-op games that would be good for non-gamers? I have a gaming night coming up at my MMA gym and I'd love to bring Arkham Horror but I think it's too long and complicated to bring to a casual gaming night.

Pandemic is pretty easy to play.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Have any of you guys played City of Remnants? SU&SD's latest review makes it look hype as poo poo :ohdear:

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Have any of you guys played City of Remnants? SU&SD's latest review makes it look hype as poo poo :ohdear:

I really want to go out and buy a copy. But I've bought like four other board games from hype so I really shouldn't. After watching their video it took every ounce of strength I could muster to hang on to the dollar bills in my wallet so they don't fly off into the internet and turn into a board game that arrives on my doorstep in a week's time.

j8910 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 13, 2013

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Colon V posted:

The other reason, and I'm sure I'm going to get some debate on this one, is that Dominion is, essentially, multiplayer Solitare without a fairly specific set of Kingdoms (Thief, I'm looking at you), there's really no reason to change your strategy based on what anyone else is buying until quantity becomes an issue.

In addition to what Crackbone said about this only applying to beginners, this also only applies to Base Dominion. Every single expansion has gone above and beyond with respect to introducing cards and mechanics that allow players to interact.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
I've got two games down with it. So far I'm feeling mixed on it. The only definite ideas I can offer on it are that the rule book is awful to slog through, and it's "permanent gang kill" mechanic can be really harsh on people just learning its strategy. I still haven't had a game where everybody has played with a coherent strategy (heck, the first game we had major rules completely wrong so that doesn't count), so I'm still a bit hesitant to offer a final judgement on it.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I've got City Of Remnants sitting on my shelf waiting to be played. For what it's worth, I didn't even read the manual, because the video by the watchitplayed guy explained everything.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

We had three people in our group play it and they all liked it. Ran a bit long though, we were three rounds into a M:TG draft by the time they finished. Obviously repeated plays would get that time down as with any game. Nobody in the group that played was AP prone either so factor that into your calculations. I was supposed to try it on Sunday but that guy who has it went to the wrong store, nobody knew he was coming, and then showed up later and we quit early to go see Star Trek. Maybe we'll get to try it later this week.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Crackbone posted:

It's definitely less forgiving, since in Dominion bad planning will just give you a less efficient engine, while in Puzzle Strike bad pile management will end the game. The end result is the same but it can feel worse in PS. That was one of BL's big complaints about it, but on the flip side sucking at Dominion can be frustrating as you watch your opponents hoover up Provinces and you know you're hosed halfway through the game but can't end it.

Also, if you have any questions about PS, feel free to ask. Apparently we have a lot of players here.
Puzzle Strike is significantly more condensed than Dominion, in my opinion. When you are playing poorly, you know immediately. My first few games I greatly underestimated the importance of Combine chips, and lost most games by a huge margin.

Also, gently caress Chip Damage with a rake. I hate that chip so much.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 14, 2013

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

My problem with Dominion is that I don't know anyone really good at the game who is really willing to play around me. If you don't have a consistent game group or just play on game day Thursday/Friday/Saturday where Dominion isn't a game of choice (most game night locations I imagine), then you'll outgrow the novice/bad players really fast. After a few games, and reading just a few forum posts, you can 'get' at least the basics of when you buy silver/gold and how to use cards wisely (if it's not intuitive). So for many people you sit in this awkward bubble, where you easily beat or come in second in every game and either have to go online to play (assuming you have any interest in doing so) or seek out people to play the game more competitively. I'm not really motivated to get 'really good' at Dominion online and it's easier to find a gaming group for Star Wars miniatures or Arkham Horror here than Dominion, so it's gotten really boring, really fast. It also doesn't help that while games like Magic and Netrunner feel like 'fun' card games and are challenging and thematic, Dominion 'feels' like a Poker's boring cousin (although they obviously play very differently, just 'feel' the same to me, i.e. a nonthematic counting exercise).

It's already been mentioned that the expansions make the game better and I own 3 expansions myself, but most game stores I have visited don't like people mixing expansion sets and core sets and purchasing expansions and core sets is a necessary nuisance and commitment to getting a 'more fun' and complete experience.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Apparently a Snowdonia reprint is being Kickstarted along with an expansion. There's early bird pricing until it funds. I've heard good things, but how well does it compare to Agricola in terms of thematicity and variety of play experience? (I love love love Agricola's decks.) I ask because Agricola is basically -the- worker placement game for me so far and I don't really find them interesting absent those two qualities. (I find it promising that the designer professed his love for Agricola in the gameplay interview video I watched.)

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
Going camping this weekend and I figured I'd ask you guys for suggestions about what boardgame(s) I should buy/bring with me. Anything that's easily portable, playable on an extremely small table and easy to introduce to folks who don't play much?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Looselybased posted:

Going camping this weekend and I figured I'd ask you guys for suggestions about what boardgame(s) I should buy/bring with me. Anything that's easily portable, playable on an extremely small table and easy to introduce to folks who don't play much?

The Resistance

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

VoodooXT posted:

The Resistance

For sure. Anything else for around 4 or so?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Cash and Guns.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I know it is not really in the spirit of your question, but my girlfriend's family loves camping and games, but when they have to combine the two they never bring board games, they bring card games. And because a lot of the people they take do not play much, they migrate towards things like Five Crowns and Quiddler. It works really well and there aren't any tiny pieces to lose.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Dixit could probably work.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Looselybased posted:

Anything that's easily portable, playable on an extremely small table and easy to introduce to folks who don't play much?
Nthing the recomendation of card games.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Looselybased posted:

Eh, Incan Gold, For Sale?

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Samfucius posted:

I know it is not really in the spirit of your question, but my girlfriend's family loves camping and games, but when they have to combine the two they never bring board games, they bring card games. And because a lot of the people they take do not play much, they migrate towards things like Five Crowns and Quiddler. It works really well and there aren't any tiny pieces to lose.

Awesome. Thanks for this. I think I'll pick up both of these because they sound perfect.

I'm also going to use this as an excuse to pick up Skull and Roses so I can pretend to be a Hells Angel.

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a

Looselybased posted:

Jungle Speed
Jungle Speed
Love Letter
Drunk Jungle Speed (if that's your thing)

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Ledhed posted:

Jungle Speed
Jungle Speed
Love Letter

Jungle speed sounds hilarious. Well poo poo, I can't justify all of this stuff.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Looselybased posted:

Coup

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ledhed posted:

Jungle Speed
Jungle Speed
Love Letter
You forgot a first aid kit.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

What are some similarly cheap and reliable alternatives to board games other than Cool Stuff Inc in the US?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

What are some similarly cheap and reliable alternatives to board games other than Cool Stuff Inc in the US?

Miniature Market.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I have purchased from these guys http://www.thoughthammer.com/ in the past, great service and they have some pretty nice deals all the time.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I played 3 different new games over the weekend, and they were all cool in a different way.

King Of Tokyo was fun as hell, even if it really is just a skin for Yahtzee. I lost pretty badly a few times, probably by overthinking things.

Epic Spell Wars was hilarious and cool. Easy to pick up, and my strategy of "do as much damage as possible while yelling is a silly voice" worked out well. The art is hilarious, and so is the gameplay.

Chaos in the Old World is the one I was happiest with.

It's something I've been thinking of picking up for ages, and since it was my birthday recently, I could justify buying myself a more expensive game as a present.

We played for the first time last night, and it was awesome. I was Tzeentch, and I came in second, just ahead of Slaanesh. Nurgle won, and Khorne lagged behind because she was winning until the halfway mark when everyone realised that she'd clumped all her demons up to win battles, and we didn't need to fight her.

The theme isn't really my favorite thing, but the asymmetric gameplay is great, and the ability to absolutely gently caress someone over with your chaos cards is awesome.

It looked like nobody was going to win - VP gain early in the game was quite low, and ruining regions takes quite a few turns, but it all came together in the last turn (as the old world deck ran out), with people gaining massive amounts of VP as 3 regions were ruined at once. Only Nurgle got up over 50vp, and only because he shat out an enormous number of corruption tokens on his final turn.

The cool thing was, despite Khorne coming "last", if there'd been one more turn, she would have definitely advanced her dial again and won the game. Everyone else was 3-4 advances away, and we drew an old world card that shortened the game by one turn.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Since you brought it up, I played Chaos tonight again. Five player game, I was Nurgle.

I double ticked on turn 1, while Slaanesh managed to accrue 10 VP. Slaanesh was in a commanding lead for most of the game until I managed to get enough corruption and infrastructure to ruin Troll Country, Kislev and The Empire in the same round. I got ruiner bonus AND first place in all three catapulting me from about 18 all the way to 60.

I love playing Nurgle.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
What was that other Australian site to get stuff from that wasn't Games Paradise? Was it any cheaper than GP?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Looselybased posted:

If you have exactly 4, Tichu is basically the best thing ever.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Croccers posted:

What was that other Australian site to get stuff from that wasn't Games Paradise? Was it any cheaper than GP?

Ozgameshop. Its actually in the UK but free postage. Or Milsims but if they don't have it I stock don't bother.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Milsims is probably the most reliable. Ozgameshop is usually cheapest but is very hit and miss with stock.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

DontMockMySmock posted:

Or, y'know. Bridge. If we're gonna get into partnership card games, here.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
We're up to the sixth round of a campaign of Risk: Legacy game over here, and I'm looking for new players.

So far, the previous five matches can be summed up like this:

Triskelli posted:

Imagine an android wrestling an ursidae. Forever.

That, and land wars in Asia.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Looselybased posted:

Citadels

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

This weekend is the first of what will be an annual summer Pitchcar tournament. My friend has detailed how he built extra pieces in this BGG post. He is a goon so you should go give him some thumbs!

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/976601/custom-pieces-i-made-for-my-game-groups-pitchcar-t

edit: Nightfall bundle for 60 bucks, worth it? Nightfall Base Game - Coldest War Expansion - Martial Law Expansion - Crimson Siege Expansion - Blood Country Expansion.

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 14, 2013

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

DontMockMySmock posted:

I've played Tichu and I can't imagine why you'd recommend it over Spades.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Some Numbers posted:

I've played Tichu and I can't imagine why you'd recommend it over Spades.

In my opinion, Bridge > Tichu > Spades. Perhaps your confusion is related to different tastes in card games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
I bought Terra Mystica last week after playing a single game. Amazing game. I am literally dreaming of playing a full five player game of it at some point.

• Locked thread