Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

MoraleHazard posted:

I really appreciate the offer, but I'm in Connecticut. Also, thanks for the link. I'm not sure if I'll do this this weekend or next, because I'm still sore from my surgery.

This might be a stupid questions, but does valve clearances HAVE to be done in conjunction with an oil change?

The interval for oil change, valve check, and tb sync are all 6,000 miles. So while you don't HAVE to, the intervals do line up - so you probably should. It really makes a heck of a difference on the R when valves and TB are all freshly set.

When I asked the wife about service intervals to answer your question, she sent me here: http://www.ascycles.com/service_schedules.aspx#ROil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Holy poo poo, valve checks every 6,000 miles?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yup. Once you knock the oil change, valve check, and tb sync out in a couple hours (you won't do that on your first run through though) it doesn't seem like such a big deal. It's seriously one of these easiest bikes to do that sort of job on.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
So I sold my bike a week or so ago to a cute little punk chick. She texted me asking me about my job since I gave her my card and it turns out she's a minor celebrity on the run from the press due to a scandal. I thought she was crazy until I found a story myself.

Basically motorcycles rule.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

astrollinthepork posted:

She texted me asking me about my job since I gave her my card and it turns out she's a minor celebrity on the run from the press due to a scandal. I thought she was crazy until I found a story myself.

You're not going to leave it at that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

astrollinthepork posted:

So I sold my bike a week or so ago to a cute little punk chick. She texted me asking me about my job since I gave her my card and it turns out she's a minor celebrity on the run from the press due to a scandal. I thought she was crazy until I found a story myself.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

It may be that I picture Bender (with your avatar's expression) saying everything you post, but you are my favorite CA poster.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

slidebite posted:

You're not going to leave it at that.

These.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

A local paper has a big article about the Wisconsin chapter of ABATE. It turns out they get large donations from Hupy and Abraham and other personal injury firms to go out and be useful idiots. The comments also have the old helmets break more necks then they save lives argument, which is my favorite.

So, these guys are getting paid by loving injury lawyers to make injuries more likely by influencing state-level government. Yet they aren't required to be registered as a lobbying group? That is severely hosed up.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Who throws his back out this morning of his full-license road test? This guy :(

The test is at noon, and this morning just coming off the highway on the way to work, I stretched a little and...OW.

Almost can't sit up straight. gently caress.

epswing fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 14, 2013

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009
Are 80s suzuki GS1150s really worth money? There are 2+ that keep popping up on my local craigslist for what seem like comedy prices.

latest example:

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/3789709344.html

God that's such a fabulous abortion.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

clutchpuck posted:

The interval for oil change, valve check, and tb sync are all 6,000 miles. So while you don't HAVE to, the intervals do line up - so you probably should. It really makes a heck of a difference on the R when valves and TB are all freshly set.

When I asked the wife about service intervals to answer your question, she sent me here: http://www.ascycles.com/service_schedules.aspx#ROil

Okay, many thanks. I'm hoping I'm well enough to do it this weekend. Should be nice, weather-wise.

astrollinthepork posted:

And you are leaving us hanging.....why?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I know some of you like small displacement nekeds.

2014 Honda MSX125 Monkey Bike Coming to US as Honda Grom

quote:

American Honda announced it will offer a new 125cc modern interpretation of the classic Monkey Bike to U.S. consumers as the Honda Grom. Originally announced in January for Asia as the MSX125, the new Honda Grom will arrive in the U.S. as a 2014 model.
The compact Honda Grom is powered by a fuel-injected 125cc single-cylinder engine based on the powerplant used in the Honda Wave 125i scooter popular in Asia. American Honda did not release any performance numbers, but the parent company had previously claimed the MSX125 has an output of 9.7 hp at 7000 rpm and 8.0 ft-lb. at 5,500 rpm. The engine is paired with a four-speed transmission.
The engine hangs from a compact steel mono-backbone frame. Also helping keep the package compact is a new patented split-structure tank that allows engineers to position the PGM-FI components and other electrical parts inside the tank cover while still leaving room for 1.45 gallons of fuel.
The small-bike look is completed with 12-inch wheels, with a 120/70-12 tire up front and a 130/70-12 tire at the rear. The front wheel is equipped with a 220mm disc with dual-piston caliper while a 190mm disc with a single-piston caliper provides rear braking. The suspension consists of a 31mm inverted fork with 3.9 inches of travel while the rear shock offers 4.1 inches of travel.
Other features include a multi-function LCD display with digital speedometer and tachometer, projector-style headlight and LED taillight.
Offering modest power, a compact size, 29.7-inch seat height and a light curb weight of 225 pounds (claimed), the Honda Grom is positioned as model for teens, though older riders should be able to have some fun on the 21st century Monkey Bike as well.
The 2014 Honda Grom is priced at $2,999 and will be offered in Metallic Black and Pearl Red.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I know it's supposed to be a monkey bike, but those wheels just look way too small for the rest of the bike.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I guess it's a niche market Honda can lock up but I can't comprehend the demand for these that wouldn't be better served with a Chinese model 50-60% cheaper. Spec racing series maybe? Bring back the "Buy a Honda hatchback, get a monkeybike for the trunk" deal?

Also Krom sounds like some pseudo-fantasy poo poo and sure enough googling it pulls up WoW stuff

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
These engines would be awesome in a go-kart. I've always wanted to blast through gears while haulin' rear end through the woods. With some exhaust, 7000 rpms would sound glorious.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

ohwandernearer posted:

Are 80s suzuki GS1150s really worth money? There are 2+ that keep popping up on my local craigslist for what seem like comedy prices.

latest example:

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/3789709344.html

God that's such a fabulous abortion.

That one has seen way to much customization abuse. He's smoking something. If it were a mint GS1150? Or even better, one with tasteful mods. (Emulators, Ohlins, light motor work, etc..) $6-8k? That's not unheard of. The GS1150 was the last of the GS's. That was "it" before the GSXR.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
That new monkey bike looks like tons of fun and would load up in the back of the truck or on one of those hitch mounted racks with ease.

To bad I doubt it would be able to keep enough speed through the hill to ride to work but would be a blast buzzing around town,

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
The Grom will definitely appeal to the Zuma 125/Honda Ruckus crowd. In fact a Zuma guy I know has already vowed to buy one.

Basically any person for whom a scooter would be perfect but who isn't comfortable enough with their masculinity to ride a scooter.

Really once some more info/reviews about it come out I may be interested. I like 125-150cc bikes and have been considering a Zuma 125 as a reliable compliment to my Stella, this could work too.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
God, I wish I coulda got a shot of the abomination I saw going to lunch today. Dude was riding a Big Ruckus - the 250cc thing that looked like it rolled out of a Home Depot - only he had strapped what looked like a Vetter fairing to the bars, complete with straight up and down diamondplate lowers.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
This is a long shot, but is anyone here going to Riding Into History? It's a reasonably large motorcycle concours in North Florida, and it's this weekend.

http://www.ridingintohistory.org/home/

This will be my first time going, can't wait to see all the pretty bikes :allears:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

Bring back the "Buy a Honda hatchback, get a monkeybike for the trunk" deal?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Motocompo

I live in Japan, have seen a few for sale, and if they weren't somewhat collectible (expensive, like $800-1000) I would totally buy one and bring it home with me.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Sweet christ. This is awful.

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/3757171744.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's not very well executed but at its core, it's a great idea

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Should've done that poo poo with a SM.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

I'd thrash that like a cheap hooker!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Anyone following the Google Glass hype? It has a mix of great new functionality, old nerd fantasies coming to life uselessly and blatant hype, but the one area where I think they would be really awesome is on a bike. Apps can do "always record last 5 minutes" for crash documentation, GPS directions are always in your field of view, changes to routing are voice controlled, much easier to take pictures of nice views, weird cars / people plus much more. I like it.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I think that was talked about a few weeks ago, but I personally wouldn't wear one because knowing me I'd crash the day I got it and it'd shatter into my eye.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Shimrod posted:

I think that was talked about a few weeks ago, but I personally wouldn't wear one because knowing me I'd crash the day I got it and it'd shatter into my eye.

Fairly sure the lenses are polycarbonate. If you're worried about that near your eyes I'd get rid of my visor if I were you.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ola posted:

Anyone following the Google Glass hype? It has a mix of great new functionality, old nerd fantasies coming to life uselessly and blatant hype, but the one area where I think they would be really awesome is on a bike. Apps can do "always record last 5 minutes" for crash documentation, GPS directions are always in your field of view, changes to routing are voice controlled, much easier to take pictures of nice views, weird cars / people plus much more. I like it.

An issue I've heard is that the visual overlay doesn't work well if you're looking at something bright, i.e. everything outside of your motorcycle helmet.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm more conserned about the nose pad arms. Modding that shouldn't be a big deal though.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Fairly sure the lenses are polycarbonate. If you're worried about that near your eyes I'd get rid of my visor if I were you.

Oh, in that case, I'd totally get a pair when they're all figured out.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

They need to make a version that can be mounted on prescription glasses.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I'd be happier with a visor HUD. Don't you have to like... look out the corner of your eye to see what information is being projected through the glass?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'd get a pair, then I'd have to make a t-shirt with this on to comply with local laws.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
It wouldn't be so difficult to make something like a hud that reads basic info like speed and heading. I had a friend that wired up a digital speedo with a simple 3 digit LED display that was was displayed inverted. When placed on the dash, the numbers reflected off of the windshield quite clearly.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

astrollinthepork posted:

It wouldn't be so difficult to make something like a hud that reads basic info like speed and heading. I had a friend that wired up a digital speedo with a simple 3 digit LED display that was was displayed inverted. When placed on the dash, the numbers reflected off of the windshield quite clearly.

This exists:
http://www.motionresearch.com/

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The reviews don't sound too promising though. http://www.bikeland.org/story.php?storyID=24656

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Collateral Damage posted:

I'd get a pair, then I'd have to make a t-shirt with this on to comply with local laws.

This is what you should do. I love doing something similar on the phone telling customer service reps that the call is being recorded for quality and training purposes.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

astrollinthepork posted:

The problem is the focal distance, put your helmet on and try and focus on your visor. There are ways to get around that with lenses and such, the Oculus Rift (which gives me a far bigger nerdboner than Glass) manages to do it. Glass gets around this by projecting the display right on your retina though, no focus needed. Hence:

thylacine posted:

I'd be happier with a visor HUD. Don't you have to like... look out the corner of your eye to see what information is being projected through the glass?

...isn't an issue. You don't look at glass, it is just suspended in one corner of your vision, like a video overlay.

EDIT: I love that Futurama pre-empted the introduction of a device almost identical to Glass before development was even announced:
http://futurama.wikia.com/wiki/EyePhone

Further to my speeding ticket woes a couple of days ago, the wind blew up to storm force suddenly in the small hours of yesterday morning:

The KTM and the R1 are both mine, the only reason the blue scooter isn't tipped is because my R1 is pinning it down. The KTM got some new scuffs, which I don't give a poo poo about, but the R1 was in really good condition and broke at least 2 fairing panels, badly dented the tank on both sides and also snapped off the front brake reservoir and a mirror.

Waiting on quotes/insurance.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 16, 2013