Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I kinda like it :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Facebook, from day one to present, has always been an entirely lovely app for such a powerhouse company.

Amongst the myriad other issues that crop up each version, the longstanding retarded one is every now and again I open it and its showing me a feed that is like a week old.

What the gently caress is up with that, Zuckster?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You need to filter the feed to be set as "most recent" before the first story ( might have to scroll up ). The big problem with this is it doesn't save this choice.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The Dave posted:

You need to filter the feed to be set as "most recent" before the first story ( might have to scroll up ). The big problem with this is it doesn't save this choice.

I don't think that was always an option? This has been going on sporadically since day 1 pretty much. Unless the setting was there even back then.... But still it honors newest stories 90% of the time so something is still quite wonky, I think.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
I'm sure no one has asked this before so I will be the brave soul to do so.

Best comic reader? Prefer something that can sort intelligently, can read from Dropbox and is Universal.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I recently picked up comic zeal. It gets the job done but the interface seems a bit quirky to me. I think you can transfer files via wifi but I just use iTunes to load up files to it.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

The Dave posted:

The problem with choosing Most Recent is that it doesn't respect the custom settings you have set on Facebook-proper. I've got about 50% of my friend's feeds blocked and choosing Most Recent shows all of them.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

slomomofo posted:

I'm a big fan of Plex. Supports virtually every platform I throw it at using either the client or web browser.

I feel like air video is the better player but plex has everything else... Air video is good when your collection of pirated vids is a mess

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

echinopsis posted:

I feel like air video is the better player but plex has everything else... Air video is good when your collection of pirated vids is a mess
I'm afraid to try this as I'm precariously close to my data limit (wooo 20GB/mo) but if I'm using my Verizon WiFi as my 'router', is there any way this could register as 'data transferred'? I realize that it SHOULDN'T, but at $15GB I'm not in the mood to find out the hard way.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

pipebomb posted:

I'm sure no one has asked this before so I will be the brave soul to do so.

Best comic reader? Prefer something that can sort intelligently, can read from Dropbox and is Universal.

Comic Zeal is the only one worth a drat, I think. ComicBookLover is free and may work for you if you don't want to spring the $5 for CZ.

Comixology is excellent if you want to switch to digital.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Suqit posted:

It's been out for like 30 minutes how many people have had it long enough to form an opinion and pan it?

Whoops. I meant the one from a while back. Not the most recent one.

It's probably been a couple weeks but people were getting grumpy about the changes to the interface.

If it's gotten better that's great.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

spongeworthy posted:

The problem with choosing Most Recent is that it doesn't respect the custom settings you have set on Facebook-proper. I've got about 50% of my friend's feeds blocked and choosing Most Recent shows all of them.

I can't speak to the newest versions because I got rid of my Facebook, but at least as of a few weeks ago it didn't work this way for me. I'm not saying it didn't do it for you, but I'd say that it's an issue with the app itself sucking. Most Recent is not supposed to work the way you describe.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Comic Zeal is the only one worth a drat, I think. ComicBookLover is free and may work for you if you don't want to spring the $5 for CZ.

Comixology is excellent if you want to switch to digital.

Thanks guys. Went w/ Zeal.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Do all the streaming radio services block iOS access unless you have a paid subscription? I'd love to have a service where I can put in a few favourite artists/songs and it'll create stations for me. I don't want to pay a subscription since I wouldn't use it often, so I have no problem with the odd short advert being placed into the playlist every now and then.

Bonus marks if it has a good selection of Japanese rock and metal because I'm a nerd for that poo poo.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Question Mark Mound posted:

Do all the streaming radio services block iOS access unless you have a paid subscription? I'd love to have a service where I can put in a few favourite artists/songs and it'll create stations for me. I don't want to pay a subscription since I wouldn't use it often, so I have no problem with the odd short advert being placed into the playlist every now and then.

Bonus marks if it has a good selection of Japanese rock and metal because I'm a nerd for that poo poo.

Pandora?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Sorry I should have specified, I'm in the UK. Unless there's been a change, I think Pandora got blocked in the UK?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Unless it's changed recently (I can't tell because I'm a subscriber) I believe Spotify let's you use the 'radio' feature for free

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

They do, and Pandora now charges 99 cents a month for unlimited mobile streaming.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
There's also Last.fm right? I think they do Radio type stuff no?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

benisntfunny posted:

There is. Last time I tried there IOS app was complete poo poo though.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Diabolik900 posted:

I can't speak to the newest versions because I got rid of my Facebook, but at least as of a few weeks ago it didn't work this way for me. I'm not saying it didn't do it for you, but I'd say that it's an issue with the app itself sucking. Most Recent is not supposed to work the way you describe.

Yeah, this is an issue with the iOS app specifically.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

iostream.h posted:

I'm afraid to try this as I'm precariously close to my data limit (wooo 20GB/mo) but if I'm using my Verizon WiFi as my 'router', is there any way this could register as 'data transferred'? I realize that it SHOULDN'T, but at $15GB I'm not in the mood to find out the hard way.

Huh? Are you afraid that watching stuff over your own home network is going to use your internet data? It certainly shouldn't, but unplug your router from your adsl or cable or whatever and try it then to see if it works.

I could see this problem happening with splashtop because sometimes if I'm impatient it offers to connect via the internet before it's discovered the local connection, and if I don't wait until then it will do it over the internet despite being on the local network. I blame Tim Cook, of course

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

benisntfunny posted:

101 posted:

There is. Last time I tried there IOS app was complete poo poo though.

It's gotten better but requires a paid subscription. There's also grooveshark but it requires jailbreaking.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

What are the best GPS apps for the iPhone? So far, I only know about Waze, which I used and enjoyed when I had an android phone.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I tested Plex at home because I was going to have to use it at work. I was able to stream three different videos to my TV, my iPhone and an iPad. It was pretty cool. You can even set it up so it allows you to stream from home to mobile devices when you're out in the world.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ChocNitty posted:

What are the best GPS apps for the iPhone? So far, I only know about Waze, which I used and enjoyed when I had an android phone.

Google Maps, assuming that you don't need it to work without an internet connection.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Dick Trauma posted:

I tested Plex at home because I was going to have to use it at work. I was able to stream three different videos to my TV, my iPhone and an iPad. It was pretty cool. You can even set it up so it allows you to stream from home to mobile devices when you're out in the world.

Plex is awesome. Everybody should use Plex.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

So siriusxm app just got an update with "many bug fixes." This was seriously one of the buggiest apps I've ever used and it crashes loses place almost constantly. Lets hope that this version is better!

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

ChocNitty posted:

I use both Waze and Google Maps on my phone.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I usually just use the built in Maps app :effort:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I know it's been mentioned in the thread before, but I just want to throw out some more love for one of my most-used apps: Delivery Status. I'm constantly tracking packages of stuff that I've both purchased and sold. and this app is a great way to keep tabs on all of them and get push notifications when a status has changed:

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ChocNitty posted:

Waze (until facebook finishes buying them at which point it will surely suck), google maps, apple maps, navigon ($), tomtom ($), ...

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
I'm constantly searching all my streaming services for a movie or TV show I want to watch and it's always a pain in the rear end to find out what is on where and for how much and in what quality. Then I found How to Watch and my life is so much better I never have to leave the couch again. It searches Netflix, Amazon Instant, iTunes, and Xbox video and tells me which services have the program in what quality and at what price if applicable. They say they'll soon add Redbox and then I won't even have to post anymore.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

echinopsis posted:

Huh? Are you afraid that watching stuff over your own home network is going to use your internet data? It certainly shouldn't, but unplug your router from your adsl or cable or whatever and try it then to see if it works.

I could see this problem happening with splashtop because sometimes if I'm impatient it offers to connect via the internet before it's discovered the local connection, and if I don't wait until then it will do it over the internet despite being on the local network. I blame Tim Cook, of course
Specifically a Verizon provided WiFi access point. I realize it SHOULDN'T but I'm not using a router or anything else. Cable/DSL is unavailable for me here and it's my only option. It's not a BIG deal I was just wondering if someone would know for sure.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iostream.h posted:

Specifically a Verizon provided WiFi access point. I realize it SHOULDN'T but I'm not using a router or anything else. Cable/DSL is unavailable for me here and it's my only option. It's not a BIG deal I was just wondering if someone would know for sure.

It is possible, but it would be a really broken network setup. If the default gateway of your devices is the wifi router you should be okay.. any traffic between devices on the same subnet will be "local" and not trigger bandwidth charges, because nothing will be going over your link to the world.

There is a possibility that the access point is tallying all traffic that passes through it. A smart router would only count traffic that goes through the public interface but not all routers are smart. If that is happening, it's very likely the bandwidth used that Verizon sees on their end will be much less than your router is reporting.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I know it's been mentioned in the thread before, but I just want to throw out some more love for one of my most-used apps: Delivery Status. I'm constantly tracking packages of stuff that I've both purchased and sold. and this app is a great way to keep tabs on all of them and get push notifications when a status has changed:

Slice is also really great for this. It connects to your email and drops your purchases in automatically.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Thanks for that, grabbed it

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

xzzy posted:

IThere is a possibility that the access point is tallying all traffic that passes through it. A smart router would only count traffic that goes through the public interface but not all routers are smart. If that is happening, it's very likely the bandwidth used that Verizon sees on their end will be much less than your router is reporting.
Exactly my concern and no one at Verizon is able to answer this and Google isn't helping.
I guess (what I expected) I need to wait until my month resets and try it on something small.
gently caress data caps.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Does using Google Maps eat up a lot of data, if you are using it as a GPS? I have a fool's dream of one day replacing my trusty Garmin with an iPhone, but I am afraid that after using the app for a month I'd have to sell my first born to cover the phone bill.

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

ChocNitty posted:

I'm currently partial to Telenav Scout, but it is/was only available in the US.

• Locked thread