Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TasmanianX posted:

Fired this up for 30m last night and got an ugly entire-system crash right as I climbed up to the surface. Had to call it there and never got to fire a bullet in anger.

Hopefully it was a one-off bug, seems to be running well for everyone else?

That happened to me too, actually. I got past it the second time I tried, but at least it wasn't just me. They released a patch this morning, I assume its just bug fixes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em

RBA Starblade posted:

That happened to me too, actually. I got past it the second time I tried, but at least it wasn't just me. They released a patch this morning, I assume its just bug fixes?

The frozen surface looked so good! And then it really was frozen, and I was sad. Hoping for the best.

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull
I have had a few hard crashes when playing, I thought it was just me.

Apart from that, the game is VERY smooth.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Replaying it also got me to realize that there is contextual dialogue for various actions you can take, down to moving the camera around. Anna makes a snarky comment about you looking at her butt if you look up instead of just looking at the wall while you're climbing that ladder.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 14, 2013

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I had to futz around with config files for it to run in my native resolution, kept defaulting to a low 4:3. But once that was done, it ran rock solid.

Rocketeer Korolev
Dec 22, 2008

Jealous? No? Go frak yourself, Smoothskin...
Anyone else have to verify the game cache files in order to get a significant performance boost?

Also, this game hard crashes every 10 minutes it seems, no matter what detail settings I have it at. It resets my video card drivers and I have no choice but to shut it down. I'm running this on an AMD Radeon 6870 and I'm wondering if this is happening on nVidia cards as well.

Other than that, great game so far!

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Rocketeer Korolev posted:

Anyone else have to verify the game cache files in order to get a significant performance boost?

Also, this game hard crashes every 10 minutes it seems, no matter what detail settings I have it at. It resets my video card drivers and I have no choice but to shut it down. I'm running this on an AMD Radeon 6870 and I'm wondering if this is happening on nVidia cards as well.

Nope, ran silky smooth for me at max settings on my 660ti, no crashes or anything.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Holy poo poo, the game is only three hours in, and it already topped whatever scary stuff that Metro 2033 had going on. The plane section is easily one of the most harrowing things I've seen in a game - and God help you if you play it with headphones and/or are afraid of flying.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Nope, ran silky smooth for me at max settings on my 660ti, no crashes or anything.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

hopterque posted:

Yeah, same here on the exact same card, despite my POS processor.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

How would a Radeon 6950 fare with this game? I haven't tried running 2033 since I don't have it installed, but it was pretty excruciating on my old 6850.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Scyantific posted:

How would a Radeon 6950 fare with this game? I haven't tried running 2033 since I don't have it installed, but it was pretty excruciating on my old 6850.

With an i5 and a 6950 I was getting 45-50 FPS on normal and 35 FPS on high in the benchmark thing at 1680x1050. It should be fine at normal no matter what and high will probably be ok.

Sputty fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 14, 2013

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
Marathon'd it last night/this morning. It's a good game, but it was not the Metro that I...expected.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
I have a 6950 and i5 2500k (@ 4.2GHz), it definitely gets quite choppy at times on high settings. And I have AA, vsync and tesselation off.

The game keeps crashing my display drivers constantly at least in DX11 mode. Hope AMD releases new drivers soon.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm on AMD Radeon HD 6800 series (no idea what particular one) and asides from the system crash, it killed my drivers at the section where you go in the spider cave with Pavel. Only played for two hours, anti-aliasing as low as it goes but yeah it doesn't seem to like AMD a whole lot. I'm on medium settings, no tesselation, vsync on. Motion blur doesn't seem to actually do anything on any setting to me. The benchmark program in the steam folder has my average framerate at about 40, though it dropped into 20 and at one point, the part with the floodlight and the flag, down to 10. This is the first game since Witcher 2 to bring my system to its knees, but I'm still amazed with how pretty the game is even on the absolute worst settings, too.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Artyom is loving inept. You can't take two steps without tripping, getting a rifle butt upside the head, or bear-hugged by a mutant. I feel like I spend more time getting dragged to safety by NPC's than I do fighting.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
I assume this game exploded my display driver rather spectacularly, system couldn't recover and I had to hard reset to save myself from a horrifically garbled screen. Have an AMD 7870, so guess I'll wait on new drivers to roll out. It was seemingly running fine for about a half hour until I started toying with options and boom.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Esroc posted:

Artyom is loving inept. You can't take two steps without tripping, getting a rifle butt upside the head, or bear-hugged by a mutant. I feel like I spend more time getting dragged to safety by NPC's than I do fighting.

This is some modern game design bullshit. See also: Nathan Drake, Lara Croft

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
My framerate has improved a lot since the opening area, but is no one else here getting the shadow flickering bug? It shows up in specific places which are not infrequent and it's REALLY distracting.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I'm kind of frustrated with this game right now, last night I was playing this game fine on High settings with steady 60+ FPS with no dips, but now I can't get this game to run above 10 FPS. Nothing has changed since last night. :smith:

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

My framerate has improved a lot since the opening area, but is no one else here getting the shadow flickering bug? It shows up in specific places which are not infrequent and it's REALLY distracting.

It's a problem with AMD 7xxx series GPUs. You just have to run the game in DX9 until it's fixed.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Samfucius posted:

Hold M, I am pretty sure.

I don't get this for ammo checks, all it does is bring up my journal/lighter (which don't seem to show any ammo counts), is there something I'm missing here?

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Because I'm an obsessive idiot who likes mentally tracking this stuff as I play the game, could someone tell me the number of chapters?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
This is a disaster on AMD cards, looking at the benchmarks, a 660ti is beating a 7970 Ghz Ed. Such bullshit.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

bloodysabbath posted:

Because I'm an obsessive idiot who likes mentally tracking this stuff as I play the game, could someone tell me the number of chapters?

If anybody does this, please put it in spoiler tags.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

RBA Starblade posted:

Replaying it also got me to realize that there is contextual dialogue for various actions you can take, down to moving the camera around. Anna makes a snarky comment about you looking at her butt if you look up instead of just looking at the wall while you're climbing that ladder.

If that's the case, then at least the ladder example you mention is finicky. I didn't even have my hand on the mouse at the time because I was getting a drink, and after a few seconds she called me out for looking at her rear end when I was looking straight ahead into the wall. :argh:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Works like a charm, thanks.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

This is a disaster on AMD cards, looking at the benchmarks, a 660ti is beating a 7970 Ghz Ed. Such bullshit.

I've been at a solid 60 on very high on a 7950, though my fps in the first area was kind of horrible. It's been good since. The shadow flickering bug is all I'm concerned about now, because DX11 does add a little bit of depth to the scene that you miss once it's gone.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I've been at a solid 60 on very high on a 7950, though my fps in the first area was kind of horrible. It's been good since. The shadow flickering bug is all I'm concerned about now, because DX11 does add a little bit of depth to the scene that you miss once it's gone.

Any type of civilization kills it for me. Wandering around tunnels is perfectly fine. Would love to reenable DX11 though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

My game only wants to run in safe mode, any way to fix it?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Leb posted:

Ranger Hardcore has been pretty hardcore so far. I played RH extensively on 2033, so I knew what to expect, but some of the changes have thrown me for a loop.

• there are no QTE prompts, but mashing the use key during "hey this seems like a QTE" scenes seems to do the trick

This is the most bafflingly stupid thing. You just have to mash the use key whenever the game takes control away from you in an action sequence or else you'll just randomly die.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
When they say no HUD, they mean literally no HUD.

spiderlemur
Nov 6, 2010
I'm stuck at a part about 2 hours into the game where the NPC asks me to follow him and then stands completely still. We're outside, so I don't get much time to nudge him around before running out of filters. If I walk ahead, I can tell where I need to go but it seems the NPC has to come trigger an event before I can go inside, and he absolutely won't. Reloading the save or restarting the game doesn't help.

Am I hosed? I could restart the whole game but I'm afraid of this happening again.

It's the part where you exit the plane, get the shotgun, get picked up by the gargoyle thing and then have to fight some dogs in the grass before going into the theatre. He says something along the lines of "follow me to the theatre, faster faster!" but doesn't budge.

Edit: Fixed it, just had to reload the chapter. It let me load the chapter I was about to enter and skipped some of the gameplay, but whatever.

spiderlemur fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 14, 2013

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

My 6870 is making GBS threads itself. Granted, we aren't talking about a top of the line new model mega card here, but if I can run Bioshock Infinite on near-max, I should be able to at least get this on low with a solid framerate at all times.

From what I have seen though, the game is pretty, even on lower settings.

edit: Wait, this game has a problem with Logitech gaming keyboards? Well that might be part of my problem...

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 14, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

MadBimber posted:

When they say no HUD, they mean literally no HUD.

This is actually kind of annoying me. I have absolutely no idea how much ammo I have. Sure, you can count the bullets, but I don't know how many rounds are in a pickup or even what revolver ammo looks like. I also don't know what buttons to use for anything.

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What else would you expect from a studio that has been paid off by Nvidia to tell people that a geforce titan is "required" to run their game?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Nvidia exacts revenge for the Tomb Raider release! I wish game companies would quit buying in to this poo poo. I don't know how much they get paid to participate in these shenanigans, but it's just another reason for me not to buy a game at release. And if I'm waiting two weeks until all the hardware issues are fixed, why not just wait another month until the Steam Summer Sale?

Didn't see this mentioned in the thread, but several reviews have prominently highlighted that PR told them to completely turn off physx if they were reviewing on AMD. So make sure you do that if you have not already.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Your right, it is very annoying not knowing how much you have. I mean I like not having a hud in a fight, but when nothings goin on I'd like to be able to check everything and prepare. Also no quick time event buttons are dumb. I just got the railcar and had no clue how to start it, finally realize it was the jump key. I'm sorry Miller :saddowns:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The cutscenes still won't play at the right resolution and the game is still stuck in safe mode. Nobody has any advice on this outside a full reinstall. Any ideas?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

RBA Starblade posted:

Good to hear it's not just me. I've had one complete system lock and one game freeze.

EDIT: also one complete logic crash. All the enemies just stood still yelling audio cues but not reacting to anything. I decided to try backstabbing one of them and the game got stuck in a loop because the backstab animation couldn't play... and of course the game also decided to autosave at that moment. Oh well it only took me half an hour to replay the level :v:

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Your right, it is very annoying not knowing how much you have. I mean I like not having a hud in a fight, but when nothings goin on I'd like to be able to check everything and prepare. Also no quick time event buttons are dumb. I just got the railcar and had no clue how to start it, finally realize it was the jump key. I'm sorry Miller :saddowns:

What is up with those dossiers I keep picking up anyway? Is that something else that is getting shaved off due to the HUD being reduced?

It is really weird because I swear there were some areas that were letting me see how many bullets I had if I pulled up the tab menu, and that seemed immersive enough, I mean it forces me to take my eyes off the action to check, which is the whole point right? It is really weird that I have no idea if my rifle has 100 rounds left after the current magazine, or none. As things are, it is totally impossible to keep track of because you never get any kind of feedback when you pick up ammo as to how much there was. This makes it all but impossible to make a decision as to what weapons to carry.

• Locked thread