Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

JP Money posted:

That's a good plan. Also keep in mind if you're doing body positioning practice that it's going to feel / look stupid at slow speeds. Once you start getting faster it'll make more sense. You'll feel like you're really hanging off the bike and you're so close to dragging a knee but then you'll see video footage of you almost completely upright with your whole body off the bike that'll make you laugh.

Try to do a trackday once you're comfortable on the bike. It'll do wonders for you as far as learning your limits and give you some instructors who really know what they're doing to lead you around.

Don't even bother with body positioning. Lean with the bike, not against it, sit firmly in the seat, and get comfortable countersteering, picking good lines, and everything else. Without good guidence from a racing school instructor or otherwise, you're going to end up hanging off all weird and wrong anyways, and sacrificing attention you could be giving to vastly more important things.

Here's an old shot of me and a buddy at the track. I'm going faster then him, he has "better body positioning" but is having to lean the bike farther over because his line choice isn't as good. If you want any more proof of it, look at the cult of personality around hanging one leg off under braking at the world level. BP is hideously overrated, especially when you're still making all the newbie errors around line choice, braking, rolling on the throttle, and everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Ugh why am I looking at bikes again :psyduck:
http://richmondin.craigslist.org/mcy/3742629887.html
I could probably get this cheap since it needs new tires and a gauge cluster but :unsmigghh:. Ill have to talk to the bread maker.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That dent looks an awful lot like a stunter mod for highchairs...I'd be careful with that one.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
I'm looking at a 2006 sv650n with 8400 miles. Pretty immaculate condition, m4 exhaust, slip on handlebars, frame sliders. Think I can get the guy to take $3500. He's at $3700. Worth it?

Edit: Sorry for the ridiculously large image. I posted from my phone and thought it was resized.

Abe Froman fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 7, 2013

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
If it matters to ya it looks like the passenger pegs have been removed and a cowl in place of the pillion seat. Both are easily changed back to stock if it comes with the parts though.
Edit- and it has a tidy tail or fender eliminator.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

kenny powerzzz posted:

If it matters to ya it looks like the passenger pegs have been removed and a cowl in place of the pillion seat. Both are easily changed back to stock if it comes with the parts though.
Edit- and it has a tidy tail or fender eliminator.

I don't think you can use the passenger pegs with the high mount exhaust, so it might be more difficult to switch it back to stock.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

I don't think he has the stock exhaust, but he does have the seat and the original handle bars. I doubt I'd ever have a passenger so the pegs don't matter to me much.

Does $3500 seem like a good price?

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Abe Froman posted:

I don't think he has the stock exhaust, but he does have the seat and the original handle bars. I doubt I'd ever have a passenger so the pegs don't matter to me much.

Does $3500 seem like a good price?

It's a little more than I'd like to pay for the bike but not a face melting rip off.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

Yeah, I figured it was a tad high. I'm just not seeing many other ones in the area any cheaper. And most of them are the ones with the upper fairing only, which I don't like. I'd rather have fully faired or naked.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Z3n posted:

That dent looks an awful lot like a stunter mod for highchairs...I'd be careful with that one.

Yeah it looks in a little rough shape. Would really like a SV650 like the one I had but pickings are slim around here since everything is really spread apart.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I'm getting an idea that I might like to have some sort of tour pack attached to the back of my bike. Anyone with good experience of one? Was it easy to put on and take off? Can you still have a passenger? Does it look stupid?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Tenchrono posted:

Ugh why am I looking at bikes again :psyduck:
http://richmondin.craigslist.org/mcy/3742629887.html
I could probably get this cheap since it needs new tires and a gauge cluster but :unsmigghh:. Ill have to talk to the bread maker.

Maybe bikes are cheaper in Tennessee but there is no way I would pay $2300 for that SV. I've bought several pretty clean SV's for under 2k and a few for under $1500. Spring is a lovely time to be bike shopping though.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I bought my 2000 SV with 24K miles and zero damage last summer for $1200. It had been parked in a garage for five years, and all it needed to get running was a battery, carb cleaning, new fluids and new tires. I ended up restoring everything to like new condition with subtle cosmetic mods for less than $2400 all in.

Better deals are out there, but they take time to find; it took about eight months of intermittent searching for me to find mine.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

rotaryfun posted:

I'm getting an idea that I might like to have some sort of tour pack attached to the back of my bike. Anyone with good experience of one? Was it easy to put on and take off? Can you still have a passenger? Does it look stupid?

I'll tell you something I wish someone would have told me. Don't gently caress with the givi racks. Get the sw motech. When I bought mine I didn't want to buy top and side racks along with top and side cases all at once because the poo poo is expensive. I got a givi top case and a givi top rack, planning on getting matching sides later. No such luck as givi stopped making the side racks a few years ago and the sw motech side racks can't be used with a givi top. I ended up fabbing a set of givi sides from a newer style klr but lost my passenger pegs, which I think you keep with the motech set up.

This is the best pic I had of my setup.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Who's running the BeadRider? That's pretty swass.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

clutchpuck posted:

Who's running the BeadRider? That's pretty swass.

My main riding buddy. He gives no fucks about appearances. He actually traded that tiger800 in on a new klr and got the bike and line 1800$ in gear. Loves it too. Not too shabby for a 54 year old dude.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Well for what its worth, I am being serious about the BeadRider. I got one last fall, and it's fantastic for hot-weather superslab comfort. I also wouldn't expect a guy riding an ugly nerdventure bike to be that concerned about appearances :)

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

clutchpuck posted:

Well for what its worth, I am being serious about the BeadRider. I got one last fall, and it's fantastic for hot-weather superslab comfort. I also wouldn't expect a guy riding an ugly nerdventure bike to be that concerned about appearances :)

I didn't like it on that bike, but I didn't like that bike. Really powerful and it just felt to heavy for me to relax. (The Tiger that is) He swears by it though.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

kenny powerzzz posted:

I'll tell you something I wish someone would have told me. Don't gently caress with the givi racks. Get the sw motech. When I bought mine I didn't want to buy top and side racks along with top and side cases all at once because the poo poo is expensive. I got a givi top case and a givi top rack, planning on getting matching sides later. No such luck as givi stopped making the side racks a few years ago and the sw motech side racks can't be used with a givi top. I ended up fabbing a set of givi sides from a newer style klr but lost my passenger pegs, which I think you keep with the motech set up.

Can't seem to find a place to buy the SW Motech rack for a 2002 bike... Any vendors you'd recommend?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Twisted throttle isn't loading for me ATM, but if you haven't yet, check there. There's also SW-Motech's website:
http://shop.sw-motech.com/en/by+motorbike+or+scooter/Suzuki/SV+650/index.htm
There are mounts and adapter plates for the first gen on there. It's UK based, though, so you might need to do a search for a distributor.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

kenny powerzzz posted:

Awesome, thanks for the advice

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

The local dealer near me has a '09 650s for sale for only 6,500 :smithicide:

Its in pretty good condition except for the stupid stickers.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Pissingintowind posted:

Can't seem to find a place to buy the SW Motech rack for a 2002 bike... Any vendors you'd recommend?

Like pope said twisted throttle is where I found them.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

kenny powerzzz posted:

Like pope said twisted throttle is where I found them.

Crap, as far as I can tell, they only have them for second gen SVs (2003+).

Also, holy crap is luggage expensive!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Tenchrono posted:

The local dealer near me has a '09 650s for sale for only 6,500 :smithicide:

Its in pretty good condition except for the stupid stickers.

That's highway robbery. Even brand new it didn't cost that much unless you were a huge sucker.

e: and the stickers are doing their job in informing you the previous owner was a dumbass and you shouldn't buy it.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

opengl128 posted:

That's highway robbery. Even brand new it didn't cost that much unless you were a huge sucker.

e: and the stickers are doing their job in informing you the previous owner was a dumbass and you shouldn't buy it.

Yeah its way too expensive :smith:. The only other used one that attracted me was an '04 cbf919.
E: for 4,600 :suicide:

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 8, 2013

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Pissingintowind posted:

Crap, as far as I can tell, they only have them for second gen SVs (2003+).

Also, holy crap is luggage expensive!

Hard luggage is costly. I've survived without it so far, but it often beckons me. Try ebay and the for sale section of svrider.com. If you just want waterproof luggage, try looking at dry bag systems. Ortlieb, Wolfman & Kriega make dry bags that are 100% waterproof. There are also places you can find generic luggage racks.
Hell, if you really wanted to, you could buy a universal rack and fab connections to your bike. I plan on doing this to my bike, but I know a guy who can weld aluminum.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Someone relatively near NYC should sell me their 650.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

vs Dinosaurs posted:

...and here I am in Arizona with one for sale. :suicide:

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

...and here I am in Arizona with one for sale. :suicide:

Practically next-door.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Practically next-door.

I'd ride it over if it was a couple months from now.
I'm not even joking on that part, haha. I'm sure it'll sell before then though.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
And I'm looking for Summer transportation. Just out of curiosity, what are you asking/year/miles, etc?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Anyone know if GSXR footpegs will work as a drop in replacement for the rubber stock pegs?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Rochester here, I've a SV650 for sale.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

I'm a new rider so the fact that it has an exhaust leak kind of scares me. Is it something that would have to be addressed right away, and did you ever look into seeing how much it would cost to repair?

Regardless, how much are you trying to get for it at this point?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Looks like $1,500?

This is from later in the thread:

the walkin dude posted:

I've got my SV650 in Rochester up for sale - I actually bought it from some guy in Albany - but I'm looking for $1500 there. What is your definition of "heavily modified"?

It's got an issue with the exhaust system (a leak somewhere) right now, and could use a bit of cleaning up (new headlight, touch-up of the frame's paint job).

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Got my fender eliminator on there finally. I'm really pretty embarrassed though because of the push pins that hold the under section of the fender together. For whatever reason, I though that they had to be pushed out from the inside-out. Yeah spent 40 mins trying to get my big fat fingers in there around the plastic without breaking anything. Only to pull up a youtube video really quick at the end to see the guy real easy like push them in with a screw driver... smh

before:

after:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
2nd Gens have the best arses with a FE.

rotaryfun posted:

Yeah I'm a fan. I keep catching myself just staring. Really like the fact that I was able to keep the stock signals too. I'm a little nervous about not having a white light on the tag though. Is that something that I should really look into or do police not really haggle you over it?

You can get an LED strip at a moto shop for a few bucks. I'm going to assume it's required by law in your state to have one.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 15, 2013

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Yeah I'm a fan. I keep catching myself just staring. Really like the fact that I was able to keep the stock signals too. I'm a little nervous about not having a white light on the tag though. Is that something that I should really look into or do police not really haggle you over it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

rotaryfun posted:

I've never had issues with a lack of plate light...my plate is under the tail section attached with some angle brackets from home depot. Wouldn't be hard to toss a little LED or white light if you were worried about it though.

• Locked thread