Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
^^^
That thing is out except it's a heavy rear end tablet PC that has the handles as a dock.

The Shield is trying to compete in the 7" tablet space except it's tethered to a controller. Already relegated to being a novelty at that price point.

So the OUYA works okay as a media center? I still don't see how it beats a Pivos, which is cheaper and has a better remote + dedicated XBMC staff.
Also, when I was loving with raspbmc on my Raspberry Pi I could stream 1080p flawlessly over ethernet as well. Is there something that I'm missing that makes a Raspberry Pi a bad xbmc experience? (UI performance was fine when I used it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

The shipping numbers aren't looking any healthier. You'd expect an improvement with their recent cash injection, but isouyashipping.com is still only showing 115 received, and the sample size is now 4.5%. At this rate they're not going to have them all sent before the new retail date. Even including the nonsense pre shipping numbers along with the shipped it comes to only 688 units (or in Ouya chart-friendly terms, just 25% of the 4.5% sample).

And these are just the Kickstarter backers, there's still pre-orders to come.

Honestly from this number of goons in the last ten pages (why are there so many of you?) it looks like UYAO has started getting their poo poo together and finally have started shipping in earnest. So now they only have to deal with their lovely hardware and lovely games library, and then they can take down the big three.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Lodin posted:

Bing God drat Gordon is not a video game legend. All people think about when they hear that name is a lovely search engine and that one guy from Friends.

I think of Bing Crosby. Maybe I've played a bit much New Vegas. I have no idea who Bing Gordon is so he's probably as much a legend as that Yves dude who was attached to the OUYA that I've never heard of either.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

raditts posted:

You'd still be loving stupid to dump that kind of money on it.
Thank you, Ouya, for heralding an era of poorly conceived phone-derivative shitconsoles.

When you think of it the N-Gage was just ahead of its time. A true visionary device.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lodin posted:

Bing God drat Gordon is not a video game legend. All people think about when they hear that name is a lovely search engine and that one guy from Friends.

"Zynga board member"

w00tazn posted:

Also, when I was loving with raspbmc on my Raspberry Pi I could stream 1080p flawlessly over ethernet as well. Is there something that I'm missing that makes a Raspberry Pi a bad xbmc experience? (UI performance was fine when I used it)

You sure that it was 1080p? And that you were streaming?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kirbysuperstar posted:

When next to no Android apps support X86? Awesome.

Most of them will run fine. The fact that x86 processors are generally a whole lot faster than any current gen ARM processors picks up the slack that the loss of optimized code leaves.

It's still pointless of course.

Hav posted:

You sure that it was 1080p? And that you were streaming?

The Raspberry Pi can handle properly encoded and streamed 1080p content just fine. The thing is that's about all it can do at full resolution.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Install Gentoo posted:

The Raspberry Pi can handle properly encoded and streamed 1080p content just fine. The thing is that's about all it can do at full resolution.

I'm probably doing something wrong; the best I could manage was 720p on the ethernet port, but 1080p on the wifi.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

Mr. Beefhead posted:

What the heck is the purpose of that, really? It seems like in your house is the one place you'd never want to play it. I mean, at least with something like a 3DS there's a reason for playing at home, namely that the game you're playing only exists on your 3DS. With the Shield, you have a setup that's most likely superior in every way and plays the exact same game a dozen or so steps away.

Well it doesn't look like it supports it, but the best scenario would be the ability to play games while someone else is using the PC (such as kids doing homework). Also, maybe I'm crazy, but sometimes it's nice to play on the couch or outside instead of at my desk.

But like I said before, not for $350.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004

Cool Matty posted:

Well it doesn't look like it supports it, but the best scenario would be the ability to play games while someone else is using the PC (such as kids doing homework). Also, maybe I'm crazy, but sometimes it's nice to play on the couch or outside instead of at my desk.

But like I said before, not for $350.

Nvidia just needs to take the technology it's using to stream games to the Shield and create a dedicated set top box to stream PC games to a TV. Make it cost ~$50 and you have an instant winner.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
Now I can't decide between a SHIELD or an OUYA :(

Bunny Cuddlin
Dec 12, 2004

w00tazn posted:

Nvidia just needs to take the technology it's using to stream games to the Shield and create a dedicated set top box to stream PC games to a TV. Make it cost ~$50 and you have an instant winner.

They should partner with Valve and market it as a SteamBox Light, have it act as a USB hub for the connected computer too. I'd buy one to use with Big Picture mode on Steam so I could play Dark Souls and poo poo in my living room without dragging my PC in there.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

w00tazn posted:

That's what the shield strikes me as. A proof of concept device for a bunch of different nVidia technology products to help them sell to OEMs.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

That's what the shield strikes me as. A proof of concept device for a bunch of different nVidia technology products to help them sell to OEMs.

There are probably marketing campaigns more expensive than SHIELD (Am I the only one who thinks of MARVEL when saying SHIELD in caps?).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

w00tazn posted:

I don't know if you'll get it for $50 when HDMI transmitters are still $200+.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
So let me get this straight, this shield thing is basically an android device with an integrated controller? Am I missing something? Isn't this more or less equivalent to snapping your smartphone into a moga controller, only a more cumbersome when you don't want to use it as a game device, with the added negative of costing as much as a new smartphone?

I mean it looks kinda neat at first glance, but there are better alternatives that are a lot cheaper. Aren't the Vita and 3DS selling for 100-150 less than this?

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004

raditts posted:

I don't know if you'll get it for $50 when HDMI transmitters are still $200+.

It wouldn't necessarily be an HDMI transmitter though.

The way video streaming works on the Shield is Nvidia passing the framebuffer directly to the hardware h.264 encoder that compresses and transcodes the video down to 720p which then gets streamed over your local network (wifi) to the Shield. Control data is then passed back to the computer where software translates controls to direct input. It's basically a micro On-live server that you can run inside your house using your PC (with Nvidia GPU) and your existing network.

If they wanted to bring cost down even more they could release an ethernet only version.
So instead of costly wireless technologies like UWB or WiDi, it'd be more like a Cat-5 KVM except over software.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

As Nero Danced posted:

So let me get this straight, this shield thing is basically an android device with an integrated controller? Am I missing something? Isn't this more or less equivalent to snapping your smartphone into a moga controller, only a more cumbersome when you don't want to use it as a game device, with the added negative of costing as much as a new smartphone?

I mean it looks kinda neat at first glance, but there are better alternatives that are a lot cheaper. Aren't the Vita and 3DS selling for 100-150 less than this?
I'd guess it's probably the best way to play controller-based Android games, what with the decent integrated controller, Tegra 4, decent-sized screen, and TV out. But yeah, $350 is too expensive, and it's not really portable, and even the Vita is more discrete for public use. And there really aren't many Android games made for controller.

Aweful Dreams fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 14, 2013

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Like others have said, they're trying to attract OEMS to build something using their stuff at the core. Ouya type volumes aren't going to cover the spread needed to really get into the set top market in a big way.

They want in to develop these parts before TVs end up with a full fledged computer embedded inside.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I'm just here for the shipping updates.

Ok fine, sorry for slacking.

isouyashipping.com posted:

Haha, still no.

Responses: 2614 Total Preshipping: 401 Total Shipped: 325 Total Received: 137 Percent Shipped: 12.43% Percent Received: 5.24% Percent Responded: 4.56%

Linear "shipping estimate" is 15.7% by 5/25/13 not 100%. Linear reception estimate is 6.63% by 5/25/13.

We keep increasing our universe of results we have 4.56% responded to isOuyaShipping.com of them we have Total Shipped: 325 Total Received: 137

So 100/4.56 = 21.93 * 325 = 7127 total "shipped" by linear estimate from isOuyaShipping

100/4.56 = 21.93 * 137 = 3004 recieved by linear estimate from isOuyaShipping

Good job OUYA the company 2 months late, 57,000 consoles short.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Bunny Cuddlin posted:

They should partner with Valve and market it as a SteamBox Light, have it act as a USB hub for the connected computer too. I'd buy one to use with Big Picture mode on Steam so I could play Dark Souls and poo poo in my living room without dragging my PC in there.

Sounds like a revolutionary idea, you should get a kickstarter going. I know of a certain company that has fundraising experience too.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Rocks posted:

Sounds like a revolutionary idea, you should get a kickstarter going. I know of a certain company that has fundraising experience too.

Hey, fun fact: Gaben said that's one of the things he sees on the horizon from some speech a month or two ago. At work so I can't dig up exactly what/where. He didn't give specifics of course, but thought the OnLive concept was workable and likely where things were going to go - except instead of using TEH CLOUDZ that your home PC would do the grunt work and stream to your TV/handheld/Steambox. I'd love to replace my upstairs console with something like that.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

teh_Broseph posted:

Hey, fun fact: Gaben said that's one of the things he sees on the horizon from some speech a month or two ago. At work so I can't dig up exactly what/where. He didn't give specifics of course, but thought the OnLive concept was workable and likely where things were going to go - except instead of using TEH CLOUDZ that your home PC would do the grunt work and stream to your TV/handheld/Steambox. I'd love to replace my upstairs console with something like that.

Arthur C Clarke would be thrilled.
Console wars started in 1964. You heard it here first.

Rod Munch
Jul 17, 2001

Lodin posted:

OK. How about, "I'm joined by Bing Gordon, a 20 year vet of EA who emceed all-hands meetings and sometimes showed up for work."

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Hav posted:

[emphasis mine] - not actual retina display

I'm pretty sure Apple has a patent/copyright on "retina display" which is why everybody else uses that slight variation.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

teh_Broseph posted:

I'm considering getting a wireless hdmi and kick rear end gaming pc. That combined with the wireless 360 controller would let you play anything you wanted anywhere. Problem of course being that wireless hdmi is still ~$200 which seems pretty steep esp. considering that my receiver is a finicky and I usually end connecting directly to my TV. I guess I could just run a wired hdmi first to see what I think of it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

canyoneer posted:

Arthur C Clarke would be thrilled.
Console wars started in 1964. You heard it here first.

Actually you're two years off, it was 1966
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnavox_Odyssey

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

Stick100 posted:

I'm considering getting a wireless hdmi and kick rear end gaming pc. That combined with the wireless 360 controller would let you play anything you wanted anywhere. Problem of course being that wireless hdmi is still ~$200 which seems pretty steep esp. considering that my receiver is a finicky and I usually end connecting directly to my TV. I guess I could just run a wired hdmi first to see what I think of it.

Note that wireless HDMI tends to have pretty bad lag, so you won't want to use it for anything that requires speed or accuracy.

packetgrinder
Jun 29, 2002
Not stupid, advanced.

Nvidia Shield posted:

Nvidia announced new partnerships today to bring five other games to the Shield. Those titles are Costume Quest and Broken Age from Double Fine

Julie Urhman posted:

Double Fine Adventure will come to just one console during its launch window – the Android-based, crowd-funded Ouya, according to CEO Julie Uhrman.
http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/07/double-fine-adventure-to-be-console-exclusive-to-ouya-at-launch/

Nvidia Shield posted:

Nvidia Shield shipping in June to retailers

OUYA posted:

As for the retail release date - it has been pushed from June 4 to June 25.

It's a race, how exciting!

packetgrinder
Jun 29, 2002
Not stupid, advanced.
Also, for those of you (who? why?) who mentioned you'd get one just as a TwitchTV... TV... box, you should be alright with the 360 you probably already have, hth.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Is the SHIELD technically a console? Because if it is, then so much for OUYA's stupid technicallity "console exclusive" thing related to Double Fine Adventure.

Dec 26, 2012

They probably don't count the Shield as a console, is the thing. So technically they could still be correct.

Not that it really matters because "console exclusive" is pretty meaningless and dumb but the nitpickers will have their say.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

01011001 posted:

They probably don't count the Shield as a console, is the thing. So technically they could be correct.

Not that it really matters because "console exclusive" is pretty meaningless and dumb but the nitpickers will have their say.

Ya, I guess they wouldn't count it. Which is really dumb, because I've heard the argument that "Double Fine Adventure is an OUYA exclusive". Which to the uninformed is a selling point, but it's actually coming out to every platform under the sun, just not any consoles.

News at 11, OUYA fans don't know what the word exclusive means.

packetgrinder
Jun 29, 2002
Not stupid, advanced.
I suppose, but in what way is it not a console?

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

packetgrinder posted:

Also, for those of you (who? why?) who mentioned you'd get one just as a TwitchTV... TV... box, you should be alright with the 360 you probably already have, hth.

Off topic, but from what I've seen the 360 app is at about the same level as the iOS and Android apps, which is pretty terrible and bizarrely gimped. You can only see the top 300 channels and there's no search function or a way to sign in to your account.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

packetgrinder posted:

That's for gold members. Paying a monthly fee for a TwitchTV box would be silly unless you were using it for games and possibly other media streaming services.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

packetgrinder posted:

Its a handheld.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

packetgrinder posted:

Because it's primarily designed to be portable and play games on the go. It's a handheld with TV-out capabilities, same as the Vita.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Aweful Dreams posted:

Because it's primarily designed to be portable and play games on the go. It's a handheld with TV-out capabilities, same as the Vita.

I guess if they released a SHIELD Lite without a screen but which still had the HDMI out it'd be a console.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Aweful Dreams posted:

Note that wireless HDMI tends to have pretty bad lag, so you won't want to use it for anything that requires speed or accuracy.

I had not heard that, well that shoots that idea right in the foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Aweful Dreams posted:

It's a handheld with TV-out capabilities, same as the Vita.

I'd love to have a Vita with a TV-out, but alas, it does not have that.

• Locked thread