Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I dunno I've seen some pretty reactionary responses to ARGH CLEAN DRUMS, but overall 95% of what I've seen says the instruments sound fantastic (as they should, considering the pedigree) but the actual songwriting is dissapointing.

I'm guilty of being a blind defender for some albums (MGMT's 2nd album and Audio Video Disco spring to mind), but I just don't even feel the need for this one. I love discussing it but people making GBS threads on it isn't bothering me at the moment. It hit me in the heart. The whole world could give it the Human After All treatment and I wouldn't mind because it gave me genuine smiles and had me awestruck at parts.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I dunno I've seen some pretty reactionary responses to ARGH CLEAN DRUMS, but overall 95% of what I've seen says the instruments sound fantastic (as they should, considering the pedigree) but the actual songwriting is dissapointing.

Songwriting in the sense of chord progression and theory or lyrically?

Because lyrically Daft Punk has never been strong. Its the cheesiest of the cheese.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

ManoliIsFat posted:

Well its that the music is dated and appeals to pretty bland sensibilities.

It's the part where people sit around and make judgment calls about other people's taste in music like this that rubs me the wrong way. Its just a dumb way to talk about music (or anything at all) and leads to arguing. If you don't like disco and don't want to listen to a disco album, just say that, but nobody's said yet why the music they made is for people who like bad music.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

Every EDM album released between 2006-2009.

But seriously, a few that hold up really well for me are the first MSTRKRFT album, Bag Raiders and Danger.

Also, I haven't heard much Breakbot but from judging from what I have heard it's pretty much the new Daft Punk album only better.

You just introduced me to a sickening amount of great music, thank you!

I find the split in opinion over fragments of time really odd, I thought it was a high point, almost like their new era Digital Love, all happy and vocoder heavy.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Colonel Whitey posted:

It's the part where people sit around and make judgment calls about other people's taste in music like this that rubs me the wrong way. Its just a dumb way to talk about music (or anything at all) and leads to arguing. If you don't like disco and don't want to listen to a disco album, just say that, but nobody's said yet why the music they made is for people who like bad music.

I ADORE disco. I'm not a head or anything, but I've got a very healthy appreciation of the genre (the real stuff, not The Beegees). So much of this album is bland even compared to the end-of-the-era, mainstream cashin disco stuff. I mean, i don't even know HOW people are calling the vast majority of this album disco, it's soooooo sloooooow and jammy.

There was a pretty big disco revival about 4 years ago, when Larry Levan was on everyone's lips. I was hoping it'd be like this. I just don't think anything on this album would really work at a party.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 14, 2013

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

El Seano posted:

You just introduced me to a sickening amount of great music, thank you!

I find the split in opinion over fragments of time really odd, I thought it was a high point, almost like their new era Digital Love, all happy and vocoder heavy.

Fragments is my least favorite song on the album because the backing music by Daft Punk sounds like a track from a cheap Karaoke CD at times. Digital Love has a much more powerful sound to it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

iSheep posted:

Songwriting in the sense of chord progression and theory or lyrically?

Because lyrically Daft Punk has never been strong. Its the cheesiest of the cheese.

More the progression/theory/arrangements. If they were as experimental with the arrangements as they were with the genre hopping I think the album could've been even better. I get the feeling they didn't feel confident enough to try and break the genres as they were visiting them with this hulking process.

I've noticed I pay waaaaaaaaaaaay less attention to lyrics than most people so I generally don't talk about them. I really like Lose yourself to Dance's lyrics though.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Colonel Whitey posted:

A lot of the people calling it mom/dad music actually WANT to listen to a disco album, I imagine, but not something from 2013 that functions as basically a very, very loose simulacrum (judging by the discourse of many of the fans of the album) of a disco LP.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

ManoliIsFat posted:

I ADORE disco. I'm not a head or anything, but I've got a very healthy appreciation of the genre (the real stuff, not The Beegees). This stuff is bland even compared to the end-of-the-era, mainstream cashin disco stuff. I mean, i don't even know HOW people are calling the vast majority of this album disco, it's soooooo sloooooow and jammy.

Well, fine, I'm just urging people to talk about the music itself when they criticize it, not the people who like it.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Intel&Sebastian posted:

More the progression/theory/arrangements. If they were as experimental with the arrangements as they were with the genre hopping I think the album could've been even better. I get the feeling they didn't feel confident enough to try and break the genres as they were visiting them with this hulking process.

I've noticed I pay waaaaaaaaaaaay less attention to lyrics than most people so I generally don't talk about them. I really like Lose yourself to Dance's lyrics though.

I hear ya.

Some predictable progressions here and there but it hasn't stopped my enjoyment of the album.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

It will be kind of funny when the kids with laptops who inspired them to use real instruments turn around and make groovy house remixes of this whole album and turn it into the thing everyone actually wanted to hear in the first place

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

ManoliIsFat posted:

I ADORE disco. I'm not a head or anything, but I've got a very healthy appreciation of the genre (the real stuff, not The Beegees). So much of this album is bland even compared to the end-of-the-era, mainstream cashin disco stuff. I mean, i don't even know HOW people are calling the vast majority of this album disco, it's soooooo sloooooow and jammy.

There was a pretty big disco revival about 4 years ago, when Larry Levan was on everyone's lips. I was hoping it'd be like this. I just don't think anything on this album would really work at a party.

I think the real touchstones for this album are Darkside, Rumours and Michael Jackson. Game of Love's vocals are obviously aping Stevie Nicks (there are other examples but I'm blanking for specifics), the soundscapes and VO's and a lot of the attempts to grab at simple melodies writ large feel very Pink Floyd (especially on Touch), the extremely shiny treatment of drums and guitars are pure MJ. They seem to have wanted to drop an expensive as gently caress "event" album on people without them expecting it.

Muck and Mire posted:

It will be kind of funny when the kids with laptops who inspired them to use real instruments turn around and make groovy house remixes of this whole album and turn it into the thing everyone actually wanted to hear in the first place

I think in the GQ interview Thomas said they're eagerly awaiting just this. That they wanted to create a new source for high quality analog samples for them and everyone else to use.

The more I listen to the album the more it feels like a big hug, it makes me feel happier just in general. It's like Discovery for the daytime.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 14, 2013

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think the real touchstones for this album are Darkside, Rumours and Michael Jackson. Game of Love's vocals are obviously aping Stevie Nicks (there are other examples but I'm blanking for specifics), the soundscapes and VO's and a lot of the attempts to grab at simple melodies writ large feel very Pink Floyd, the extremely shiny treatment of drums and guitars are pure MJ. They seem to have wanted to drop an expensive as gently caress "event" album on people without them expecting it.

I also hear a TON of 70s era Bowie in this too

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Colonel Whitey posted:

Dude I very much like disco and the first thing I did after listening to this was to go listen to some to remind me that I actually liked it :P

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I kind of love how they jarringly drop a house track Bangalter made in 97 at the end of the album and kind of dress it up with live instruments. I will just say that while I adore this album, I do hope they haven't completely abandoned the EDM aesthetic they're so good at.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

aBagorn posted:

I also hear a TON of 70s era Bowie in this too

Yeah, I'd be willing to bet if Bowie wasn't doing his own 2013 thing he could've ended up as a collab. They grabbed some of his studio musicians iirc.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

het posted:

Dude I very much like disco and the first thing I did after listening to this was to go listen to some to remind me that I actually liked it :P

Actually yeah I will admit that I'm not very familiar with disco. That's not really central to the point I was making though.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If they follow this up with a Daft Club-style remix album and an Alive-style compilation mix then I think everyone will get what they want and we can all be friends again.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Colonel Whitey posted:

Actually yeah I will admit that I'm not very familiar with disco. That's not really central to the point I was making though.

Your point was about "don't pass judgement on other people's tastes in music", which seems to translate to "don't hate on music, ever". You said "if you don't like disco, don't listen to this album" and what I and a couple other people in this thread are trying to say is "we actually DO like disco, we know a thing or two, and we don't like this album because it's lame and has all the vibrancy of a lukewarm fart, not because we hate old sounding stuff"

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Listening to this on my earbuds at work the day after is a very different experience. Contact, Motherboard, the end of Giorgio, all feel very different with the loss of clarity. I'm generally anything but an audiophile, but I'm excited to see what the real album release sounds like if I was able to notice the clarity difference in my earbuds (something I almost never notice or care about).

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I swear everything Julian Casablancas has touched since Room on Fire has just been the most dismal poo poo.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

ManoliIsFat posted:

Your point was about "don't pass judgement on other people's tastes in music", which seems to translate to "don't hate on music, ever". You said "if you don't like disco, don't listen to this album" and what I and a couple other people in this thread are trying to say is "we DO like disco, we hate this album because it's lame and has all the vibrancy of a lukewarm fart, not because we hate old sounding stuff"

That's really not what it translates to. It translates to "don't be a dickhead when you don't like something others do" and vice versa. I used not liking disco as an example of why someone might not like this album. If I was erroneous in the comparison then fine, but its irrelevant.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If they do tour this album they I'd love to see something like Prince, find a tight as gently caress backing band and tour small-medium venues for insane amounts of money, do an anti-ALIVE with a bunch of live instrument versions of old songs with live talkbox and them hitting the buttons where you HAVE to have electronics.

Also I want a real live DVD of it because I would never be able to afford to see it.

I've noticed in my brain, on tracks like lose yourself to dance, the album digs up the time I saw George Clinton and Parliament at the Shobox in Seattle, where the players were all impossibly tight while simultaneously working the room like I've never seen before.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 14, 2013

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Colonel Whitey posted:

That's really not what it translates to. It translates to "don't be a dickhead when you don't like something others do" and vice versa. I used not liking disco as an example of why someone might not like this album. If I was erroneous in the comparison then fine, but its irrelevant.
If you say "If you don't like disco and don't want to listen to a disco album, just say that" and you have no idea what you are talking about, you're kinda the one being the dickhead.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
A star studded one-off stage production of this album kind of like that Gorillaz DVD for Demon Days would be awesome as well.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

het posted:

If you say "If you don't like disco and don't want to listen to a disco album, just say that" and you have no idea what you are talking about, you're kinda the one being the dickhead.

There's people literally saying if you like this album you have bad taste in this thread. I think the point he's making in a roundabout way is that people are entitled to opinions, but it's their opinion, don't make it sound like someone can't have one different from theirs. It's not impossible to actually like this album.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

somnambulist posted:

There's people literally saying if you like this album you have bad taste in this thread. I think the point he's making in a roundabout way is that people are entitled to opinions, but it's their opinion, don't make it sound like someone can't have one different from theirs. It's not impossible to actually like this album.

I like the album quite a bit, it has already grown on me and seems like a pretty chill summer album to drink/get lucky to. The lack of banging House Tunes is somewhat of a disappointment, but that is what Alive 2014 is for, right? :)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I like the album and this thread introduced me to Breakbot's album from last year, so I win twice.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Thanks to this thread, I now have a huge playlist of stuff to check out that I hadn't heard before, and it prompted me to revisit SebastiAn. loving hell this thread moves fast. My biggest complaint about the album is that it just doesn't justify it's length. If I'm not mistaken, Alive 2007 is around 80 minutes long, but it is also 80 minutes of pure gold. The same cannot be said for RAM. I hope it grows on me a bit more, but it's definitely not as immediate as I had anticipated after I fell in love with Get Lucky. Like 1 million others have said: I am so excited to hear the remixes from this album, please share the good stuff in this thread because I am rubbish at finding them! I'm hoping this album will be grower once the gulf between expectations and reality sort of narrows a bit. I can't help but feel a bit disappointed that it isn't more electronic to be honest. I mostly listen to guitar driven music, or music driven by "real instruments", but I am really into electronic music right now, and hearing what Daft Punk are capable of when they right electronic music, I am disappointed that RAM doesn't show more of that. Despite this, I kind of have to respect them for taking an artistic risk and going in the direction they did, even if I am not 100% down with the direction they did choose.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
So after listening to this album for the past 16 hours, I can definitly say that I love it. I adore it. I want it inside me. And it flows so well when I rearranged the order of it, to the one some goons posted earlier in the thread.

I love me some good, old disco, like Donna Summer and Chic, and I love it just as much as I love this. I have no problems imagining my self in some shady 70's bar where Daft Punk & co is playing under a disco ball while I'm chilling and enjoying the groove.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

somnambulist posted:

It's not much of a crime to like the album, I reckon, but when you're dealing with people who spent days trying to trace down a nefarious Pharrell impersonator, it's understandable why it all starts to look like an orgy of stupid opinions, bad taste, and ill-informed hysteria from the outside.

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF

somnambulist posted:

Wait are you saying "you're never allowed to make fun of people's personal taste"? Is that what you're saying?

My beef (and a lot of people's beef) with the way Daft Punk is talked about so breathlessly on this site is that a lot of people who are WAYYYYYY into Daft Punk and Justice and Danger have absolutely no knowledge of what these groups are aping and "building on" and often don't have a ANY desire to go back and learn more so whenever an album like this one comes out and people declare it the best album in the history of dance music and they have no idea what they're talking about it's hard not to go "whatever this poo poo is for moms" because lots of other discourse about disco and house is gonna fall on deaf ears.

This WHATEVER APPLE JACKS WE EAT WHAT WE LIKE NO HATERS ALLOWED mentality that exists in NMD is so ridiculous and unconstructive.

Dadjacket fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 14, 2013

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Dadjacket posted:

My beef (and a lot of people's beef) with the way Daft Punk is talked about so breathlessly on this site is that a lot of people who are WAYYYYYY into Daft Punk and Justice and Danger have absolutely no knowledge of what these groups are aping and "building on" and often don't have a ANY desire to go back and learn more so whenever an album like this one comes out and people declare it the best album in the history of dance music and they have no idea what they're talking about it's hard not to go "whatever this poo poo is for moms" because lots of other discourse about disco and house is gonna fall on deaf ears.

Can we stop strawmanning people who dislike RAM in the same breath as complaining talking about how other people sometimes have differing taste?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Dadjacket posted:

Wait are you saying "you're never allowed to make fun of people's personal taste"? Is that what you're saying?

This WHATEVER APPLE JACKS WE EAT WHAT WE LIKE NO HATERS ALLOWED mentality that exists in NMD is so ridiculous and unconstructive.

Yes, you show those Daft Punk fans that like their album who's boss. Continue making fun of people I guess? I have no idea what you're getting at. People like popular things sometimes? It doesn't help you're exaggerating (who declared it the best album in the history of dance music? Good lord)

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

somnambulist posted:

I have no idea what you're getting at.

I don't want to speak for Dadjacket, but my interpretation was "Daft Punk fans are incredibly vocal, myopic and annoying".

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Ras Het posted:

I don't want to speak for Dadjacket, but my interpretation was "Daft Punk fans are incredibly vocal, myopic and annoying".

Ehh, people are excited about an album they've been anticipating for a long time. Ask again in a month or two and you'll get answers that aren't "best album in the history of recorded music" or "straight up garbage"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Ras Het posted:

Well yeah but that's not exactly an exclusive set of traits for DP fans. That's just fans of anything extremely popular that has enough critical cover.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MMD3 posted:

uhhh...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkEYnXd5VkY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeWLi9TROtE

there you go, welcome to Daft Punk punching you in the face circa 2005

and here's one from 1997 for good measure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zZD_ItaEuU

this...

I really wanted another Brainwasher. Love that song. Unsurprisingly, Waters of Nazareth is some of my favorite Justice. I need to find more songs like those 2.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Well yeah but that's not exactly an exclusive set of traits for DP fans. That's just fans of anything extremely popular that has enough critical cover.

I think it seems especially egregious with Daft Punk because they're SO indebted to older forms that most of their fans express no interest in exploring. Then those fans get all unreasonably amped up about a new Daft Punk record because it's their only fix of that kind of music because they're too lazy to investigate further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

True, but think of it this way: Dream Theater, Radiohead, Animal Collective or w/e fans tend to, like, understand something about their respective "scenes". Or is that too optimistic? Like those kids listen to indie, they read P4K, the progmetalheads love Opeth and Rush? It's part of a bigger continuum. But Daft Punk fans are in this bizarre bloghouse bubble where only things remixed by Fred Falke exist. Like in this thread you've got people going "I don't really know what disco is" and "house sucks", which is just loving absurd. My dad would have more to say about music to the Daft Punk dudes than most of their fans. So it comes across as wayyyy more cultish than with any other band (except that Emily whatshername but there's only like four of them).

• Locked thread