Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

run DNC posted:

Forced labour for prisoners is not the same thing as chattel slavery which is generally what the slave pop represents I think, and even if im wrong about that there isn't any way to actually make any pops become slaves anyway so its entirely meaningless.

What it does do though is make immigrants avoid that country like the plague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

run DNC posted:

Forced labour for prisoners is not the same thing as chattel slavery which is generally what the slave pop represents I think, and even if im wrong about that there isn't any way to actually make any pops become slaves anyway so its entirely meaningless.

The weird thing is that the PDM/VRRP people made the deduction that the way it works the "Slave" pop actually better resembles serfs than chattel slavery and is actually used to better balance the way too easy industrialization of Russia and Austria.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

Must be a bug that is telling you exactly how much gold it will cost. It should say 'Some gold'.

This decision may or may not cost an undetermined amount of gold to implement. It could possibly affect your relationship with one or more states.

It's so realistic you forget you're playing a game.

Edit: post is from two weeks ago and also I'm not in the Steppewolfe thread. I just wanted to make a joke :saddowns:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

This decision may or may not cost an undetermined amount of gold to implement. It could possibly affect your relationship with one or more states.

It's so realistic you forget you're playing a game.

Edit: post is from two weeks ago and also I'm not in the Steppewolfe thread. I just wanted to make a joke :saddowns:

Don't worry, it was a good joke that improved your prestige by a small amount, while posting in the wrong thread only reduced your prestige by a very small amount, so you still came out on top! :v:

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Quick question: I've been mulling about picking up March of the Eagles when it goes on sale. But I've heard it really shines as a multiplayer game and I very much prefer singleplayer. So, how good is MotE's singleplayer?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Is Vic2 enjoyable without HoD? That's my last real concern before buying it again (Steam's version isn't ported to Mac) and Paradox has no plans atm to port HoD to Mac.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Is Vic2 enjoyable without HoD? That's my last real concern before buying it again (Steam's version isn't ported to Mac) and Paradox has no plans atm to port HoD to Mac.

As a Mac player: not really, no. It's also impossible to actually access your save file location for whatever reason unlike App Store EUIII, and the mod folder doesn't work.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

It is kind of enjoyable, but HoD is a massive improvement. I never really got into Victoria 2 until HoD.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Contingency Plan posted:

Quick question: I've been mulling about picking up March of the Eagles when it goes on sale. But I've heard it really shines as a multiplayer game and I very much prefer singleplayer. So, how good is MotE's singleplayer?

I enjoy it, but it's pretty basic. I guess it all depends upon how far you delve into AI abuse; because I play it pretty casually without trying to game the AI it's enjoyable to me.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

I'd say that HoD is pretty drat essential, it fixes a lot of problems, and now it's possible to actually beat the British Empire. The only problem right now is the AI releasing everything as dominions so there are no pretty borders in Africa, North America or Australia, but a little bit of conquest fixes that problem right up.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Don Gato posted:

I'd say that HoD is pretty drat essential, it fixes a lot of problems, and now it's possible to actually beat the British Empire. The only problem right now is the AI releasing everything as dominions so there are no pretty borders in Africa, North America or Australia, but a little bit of conquest fixes that problem right up.
The beta patch fixes that problem very nicely.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
All I can say is that going back to EUIII for a game, I want ticking warscore so bad.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Contingency Plan posted:

It's pretty good. I'm the same way you are so I've only ever played MotE single-player and I still have fun with it. Definitely worth the 20 bucks, and definitely worth whatever you'll be paying for it when it's on sale.

James The 1st posted:

The beta patch fixes that problem very nicely.

Yeah, the UK still releases Columbia out of Vancouver every chance it gets for some reason but other than that they're much smarter about releasing dominions now.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Fintilgin posted:

All I can say is that going back to EUIII for a game, I want ticking warscore so bad.

I've been forced to swear off EUIII thanks to the great job Pdox has done as of late. Way to go, jerks.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
EUIV really can't come fast enough. I try not to get hyped up for unreleased games but an EU with all the polish, accessibility, and DLC system of recent PDS games can't be anything but killer. Hell even what they did with Vicky2 with HoD is drat impressive. Hopefully HOI4 is on the plate for weirdos like me who enjoy 3.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I don't have any games later than EU3 because my last computer was a brick and i'm so broke i can barely afford beer. The other day i did an Ottomans game, somewhere around the 5th Anglo-Franco-Austro-Hungaro-Castillo-Portugese War of Aggression (against me) i had an aneurysm and died.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Please please please make a CK2 DLC that will generate an EU4 save game. I will pay beaucoup piles of money for it.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Cantorsdust posted:

Please please please make a CK2 DLC that will generate an EU4 save game. I will pay beaucoup piles of money for it.

Make the files accessible through Notepad so that province and TAG values can be reassigned to make the whole thing work with mods. Promise us the moon.

Also! Dinosaurs.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

orphean posted:

Hopefully HOI4 is on the plate for weirdos like me who enjoy 3.

Or for those of us who don't. I'd love to see a fourth one that gets the series back on track.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Bold Robot posted:

Or for those of us who don't. I'd love to see a fourth one that gets the series back on track.

I'll be really curious to see if HOI4 takes a step back on the crazy complexity, or if it just goes whole hog and has you designing custom platoons, simulating the ballistics of individual shells, and capturing rubber producing provinces in order to reduce the STD rate of your frontline troops.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fintilgin posted:

I'll be really curious to see if HOI4 takes a step back on the crazy complexity, or if it just goes whole hog and has you designing custom platoons, simulating the ballistics of individual shells, and capturing rubber producing provinces in order to reduce the STD rate of your frontline troops.

If this ran just as well as Hoi2: Doomsday did why not?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 15, 2013

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Fintilgin posted:

That's the game I want. Being 100% serious.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Don Gato posted:

I'd say that HoD is pretty drat essential, it fixes a lot of problems, and now it's possible to actually beat the British Empire.
On this note, is forming India feasible in HOD, or still a longshot?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's actually even harder if not impossible in HOD, because more often than not England or Holland releases India (in the form of a single province) as a dominion on day one.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fister Roboto posted:

It's actually even harder if not impossible in HOD, because more often than not England or Holland releases India (in the form of a single province) as a dominion on day one.

You'd need to conquer that province anyways so who cares. Also it's usually Portugal that releases India as a opm.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

uPen posted:

You'd need to conquer that province anyways so who cares. Also it's usually Portugal that releases India as a opm.

You have to destroy India in order to create it.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

This was fixed in the patch...

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I cant even play with the beta patch. It crashes at adapting history and no matter how many times I clear out the cache from every possible map folder (v2, hod, ahd AND the random one in the documents) before trying to start it I still crash out, so I hope you paradox guys fix that before this patch goes live.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I really hope the rebellion system in Victoria 2 is more fleshed out one day. As it is, it kind of works early in the game (though often there's no rhyme or reason to why a given movement revolts instead of biding their time), but late in the game when you have armies made up of hundreds of brigades it just turns into rebel whack-a-mole. Ideally I'd like fewer but more dangerous rebellions; what if, instead of just revolting with what they've got, the Jacobins spread discontent throughout your armies so when they launch the revolution entire armies might swap to the rebel side, instead of bands of farmers and labourers? How about if one nationalist rebellion fires, the chance of other nationalist rebellions occurring increases accordingly? This would make late-game Austria-Hungary the hotbed of dissent it should be, instead of just tedious because of the annoyance of having to deal with large but non-threatening rebellions one at a time.

Also, movement radicalism could serve to be a bit less binary. Early on in my Austria game, I had a suffrage movement of 2 million people (out of a total population of 9 million) with a radicalism of over 90, but just below 100. This mean that none of those 2 million were inclined to join the Jacobin rebels, which was only made up of 20 thousand people. I mean, more than 20% of the population are actively campaigning for the right to vote and are having their voices ignored for more than a decade, but none of them were ready to take the extra step of planning a rebellion?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Then again, having half your army switch side in every revolt would get tedious real fast, unless it's a "once in two decades, after losing a major war" kinda thing, at most.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

That'd be the ideal. Unemployment, reactionary policies and revanchism should be major contributors to revolts, but something like only having a 14-hour workday as opposed to a 12-hour workday shouldn't contribute as much.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Drone posted:

Magicka was pretty great though. And Mountain Blade.

Pity about Supreme Ruler 2020, then. I knew the release had been lovely, but there were lots of patches. But the game still blows. Can't even seem to get my money back from Gamersgate, they're pointing me to their refund policy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

Magicka was pretty great though. And Mountain Blade.
Cities in Motion, Warlock Master of the Arcane, Naval War Arctic Circle and Elven Legacy are also good Paradox-published titles.

And, I don't know how much Paradox the Publisher had anything to do with Majesty Gold, but that remake/upgrade was just brilliant.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Fired up CK2 again, and ran into a fun little bug. If you start the game as a republic, get bumped down so you're no longer the Doge, and then declare a war of independence to get out from under him, the game ends in a game over:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Evil Agita posted:

I cant even play with the beta patch. It crashes at adapting history and no matter how many times I clear out the cache from every possible map folder (v2, hod, ahd AND the random one in the documents) before trying to start it I still crash out, so I hope you paradox guys fix that before this patch goes live.

Why do you have so many map folders?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Heart of Darkness isn't supposed to have a separate directory. Did you install it wrong? If you have the GamersGate version, make sure when installing the expansion it's overwriting the old game install.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I've been playing HOD as Brazil - things seem to be going well so far. I've conquered all my cores back from my neighbours, administration is at 100%, I abolished slavery and I can afford to fully fund education. I've also built railroads in every province but the jungle ones, which require more tech.

I have questions:

1. How do I build factories? My production screen just says, "Build factories: No". Which factories would be good for Brazil?

2. I am in the UK's sphere of influence. Is this bad? How do I leave if so?

3. I'm very rich - what's a good use of that wealth?

4. At the moment I run the highest possible tariffs and taxes. Why wouldn't I want to do that?

5. What's a good army composition for me to use?

6. Should I build a navy or just ignore it entirely?

7. I'm assuming having more than 1% bureaucrats is a bad thing. How do I keep administration well funded without going over 1%?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

BBJoey posted:

I really hope the rebellion system in Victoria 2 is more fleshed out one day. As it is, it kind of works early in the game (though often there's no rhyme or reason to why a given movement revolts instead of biding their time), but late in the game when you have armies made up of hundreds of brigades it just turns into rebel whack-a-mole. Ideally I'd like fewer but more dangerous rebellions; what if, instead of just revolting with what they've got, the Jacobins spread discontent throughout your armies so when they launch the revolution entire armies might swap to the rebel side, instead of bands of farmers and labourers? How about if one nationalist rebellion fires, the chance of other nationalist rebellions occurring increases accordingly? This would make late-game Austria-Hungary the hotbed of dissent it should be, instead of just tedious because of the annoyance of having to deal with large but non-threatening rebellions one at a time.

Also, movement radicalism could serve to be a bit less binary. Early on in my Austria game, I had a suffrage movement of 2 million people (out of a total population of 9 million) with a radicalism of over 90, but just below 100. This mean that none of those 2 million were inclined to join the Jacobin rebels, which was only made up of 20 thousand people. I mean, more than 20% of the population are actively campaigning for the right to vote and are having their voices ignored for more than a decade, but none of them were ready to take the extra step of planning a rebellion?

This isn't the case now? I swear I remember back in the days of House Divided that army regiments could and did join revolts. Playing as the USA, I kept facing endless end-game rebellions that'd see half my army join the rebels each time, to the point where I basically gave up the idea of a standing army entirely and relied on mobilization to crush rebels, which is certainly a funny way of reading the 2nd Amendment.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Evil Agita posted:

I've heard about a similar thing from another two cases, in both of which the people who had issues got HoD illegitimately, from someone else's gamersgate account, with the errors actually found in pre-patch files (whereas the legitimate owners of the game and expansion had no issues themselves). :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
What is this the Paradox forums? No I bought the game and all the DLCs on steam, but I did pull them out into their own folder to run it because who needs steam telling you how long you've been playing. It was working until the beta patch.

E: I'll download the beta patch and run it in the clean steam folder to see if it works.

Evil Agita fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 15, 2013

• Locked thread