Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
One of my cats had a wangectomy about 7-10 years ago or something. He's done great in the urinary tract department since. The funny thing is that his surgery was done on Valentine's Day and when the doctor was done she called us and said, "It's a girl!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Shnooks posted:

One of my cats had a wangectomy about 7-10 years ago or something. He's done great in the urinary tract department since. The funny thing is that his surgery was done on Valentine's Day and when the doctor was done she called us and said, "It's a girl!"

Did you ask your vet if he needed to be spayed because he was a girl now?

No poo poo. People ask that. (I'm sure you didn't.)

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

HelloSailorSign posted:

Did you ask your vet if he needed to be spayed because he was a girl now?

No poo poo. People ask that. (I'm sure you didn't.)

That's amazing. The best we've had was someone called asking if we could "unspay" her dog.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
Oh holy poo poo, my cat just peed in the litter box.

YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW EXCITING THIS IS.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE
Way to go Iggy! Keep that pee coming.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
The first time Ollie peed after his FLUTD flare up was way too exciting. Yay for Iggy!

Paume
Jun 8, 2008

:commissar:

Dogen posted:

How do you play with her? Have you tried something like da bird? Da bird is very serious cat psych medicine in toy form that really helps them get along with other people, and also cats. Might help with future introductions to new folks as well.

Yeah, we have a couple of those, and that's what we use to play with her mainly.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
So a few days ago I took in a stray. So I now have three cats. The oldest, Neco, the youngest, Leighton, and our new middle cat Castiel. In the beginning, Leighton was hissing and swatting but that is minimal now, and Neco couldn't give a poo poo. Monday morning before we took Castiel to the vet, he was sitting at the window meowin his head off when Neco went up to him, sniffed him, and then attacked him. Pulled off some tufts of fur. Castiel retreated to under the sofa. The rest of the day went without incident.

Yesterday night, Neco again attacked Castiel.. and the poor little guy has been hiding under the sofa the entire night with Neco occasionally looming right by the sofa.

When they first met, Neco and him got along real well.. immediate kitten piles. But now Neco seems to hate Castiel. I am keeping them separated for now while no one is home. Anyone have any insight on this?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Polish posted:

So a few days ago I took in a stray. So I now have three cats. The oldest, Neco, the youngest, Leighton, and our new middle cat Castiel. In the beginning, Leighton was hissing and swatting but that is minimal now, and Neco couldn't give a poo poo. Monday morning before we took Castiel to the vet, he was sitting at the window meowin his head off when Neco went up to him, sniffed him, and then attacked him. Pulled off some tufts of fur. Castiel retreated to under the sofa. The rest of the day went without incident.

Yesterday night, Neco again attacked Castiel.. and the poor little guy has been hiding under the sofa the entire night with Neco occasionally looming right by the sofa.

When they first met, Neco and him got along real well.. immediate kitten piles. But now Neco seems to hate Castiel. I am keeping them separated for now while no one is home. Anyone have any insight on this?

Castiel smells like vet; it'll take a few days for everyone to settle. If there's no blood let them be.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Engineer Lenk posted:

Castiel smells like vet; it'll take a few days for everyone to settle. If there's no blood let them be.

The first attack happened pre-vet. Was just a strange out of no where attack. I hope they settle down.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Polish posted:

The first attack happened pre-vet. Was just a strange out of no where attack. I hope they settle down.

I dunno about "out of nowhere" if the newbie was sitting yelling his head off. Maybe Neco just wanted him to shut the gently caress up.

2-3 days is nothing for cat adjustments. It sounds like they're on the right track [no one is pooping/peeing inappropriately and I didn't see anything about blood]. I know that sounds crazy but cats is cats, man. If it's still happening 2 weeks from now OR if someone gets a bad bite, then I'd reconsider your options.

I also never do the gradual introduction thing described in the OP (even though I wrote it :v:), but it may be worth a go if you want things to go a little easier but take longer.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I dunno about "out of nowhere" if the newbie was sitting yelling his head off. Maybe Neco just wanted him to shut the gently caress up.

2-3 days is nothing for cat adjustments. It sounds like they're on the right track [no one is pooping/peeing inappropriately and I didn't see anything about blood]. I know that sounds crazy but cats is cats, man. If it's still happening 2 weeks from now OR if someone gets a bad bite, then I'd reconsider your options.

I also never do the gradual introduction thing described in the OP (even though I wrote it :v:), but it may be worth a go if you want things to go a little easier but take longer.

I think Neco does want him to just shut up. Castiel also is a heathen and doesn't cover his pee or poop and I think Neco is very particular about his litter boxes.

I did follow the OP after last nights attack..but not at first. I think I am gonna spend some time with Castiel without the other two cats around tonight. Thanks guys.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Eye update: 5th vet took a peek and said its pretty clearly eosinophilic keratitis. Test results were inconclusive, though. So on the plus side, the 4th vet didn't gently caress up things as much as they could have up since it probably isn't an ulcer. Since Khan seems to have a reaction to a lot of the typical drugs used for this, we're still being sent to the ophthalmologist next Thursday.

On cat introductions: I've had a lot of luck when I would separate cats when they are calm, even before they get into it. Sometimes prolonged exposure to each other is pushing it, even though things look good, and removing one of the cats for a few minutes can provide negative reinforcement for being chill with each other rather than defensive.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
Home for 25 hours and still peeing. Don't want to jinx this, but I think we're out of the woods!

So as not to tire anyone with constant cat urine updates, have a kitten picture.

This was him before he cost us all of our moneys.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Hey, guys, I have another picture of potentially my cat hurting himself/his brother hurting him/something else entirely. My husband and I just got back from getting groceries to see this:

That section of ear is all puffed up like a mini sausage. My questions now are does it look self inflicted? Does it look like it could be infected? Or does it look like something might have bit him? Should we consider the e-vet, the normal vet tomorrow, or just wait and see what happens? :ohdear:

I've never seen anything like this on either of them, so I'm not really sure how serious it is or isn't... He doesn't seem to be in any pain as he's behaving fairly normally, but I don't want it to be like a poisonous spider bit him and the poison is slow acting or something equally as terrible. :ohdear:

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Is it squishy or hard?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
So I came across this little guy on Tuesday afternoon:

Some kid outside the local grocery store had found this little guy somewhere and didn't know what to do with it. I took him into work (I work at a vet clinic) and got him looked over, aside from a few fleas he's healthy! I'd say he's about 7-9 days old now, his eyes aren't open yet. I'm feeding him with a little syringe :3:

I have him in a cardboard box now with towels, pillowcases, and a hot water bottle. I've been helping him pee every few hours after mealtime but he hasn't pooped yet. He doesn't seem distressed at all, his stomach isn't distended and he's crawling around normally. Should I be worried? I had some kittens I was in the same boat with in October 2011 and I vaguely recall it took a few days of feeding before they even pooped a little.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Minarchist posted:

Some kid outside the local grocery store had found this little guy somewhere and didn't know what to do with it. I took him into work (I work at a vet clinic) and got him looked over, aside from a few fleas he's healthy! I'd say he's about 7-9 days old now, his eyes aren't open yet. I'm feeding him with a little syringe :3:

I have him in a cardboard box now with towels, pillowcases, and a hot water bottle. I've been helping him pee every few hours after mealtime but he hasn't pooped yet. He doesn't seem distressed at all, his stomach isn't distended and he's crawling around normally. Should I be worried? I had some kittens I was in the same boat with in October 2011 and I vaguely recall it took a few days of feeding before they even pooped a little.

Wanna pet dat catte. I think it would take a few days before poo..

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Shnooks posted:

Is it squishy or hard?

It's squishy.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Minarchist posted:

I can't remember the thread, but another poster a long while back found a kitten that still had the umbilical cord attached. They had to use a wet washcloth to gently stimulate the anus to get him to poop several times a day, just like a mother cat would use her tongue.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Minarchist posted:

Make that kitten a thread :swoon:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Dienes posted:

They had to use a wet washcloth to gently stimulate the anus to get him to poop several times a day, just like a mother cat would use her tongue.

That's cheating

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Minarchist posted:

That is the sweetest little tiny precious in the whole world, but why are you asking the internet when you work at a vet clinic?

I don't want to detract from all the cute babbies and sick kitties, but is there no one can advise me here? The vet just said FEED HER SCIENCE DIET when I asked, and I don't know what else to do about her. I do not want my cat to die of fatness. :smith:

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Corridor posted:

That is the sweetest little tiny precious in the whole world, but why are you asking the internet when you work at a vet clinic?

We don't get kittens that young in without their mothers, and I don't go back into work until tomorrow. I only work there part time.

Corridor posted:

I don't want to detract from all the cute babbies and sick kitties, but is there no one can advise me here? The vet just said FEED HER SCIENCE DIET when I asked, and I don't know what else to do about her. I do not want my cat to die of fatness. :smith:

Portion control and exercise. Stop free feeding her if she's already fat and start giving her smaller portions twice a day at regular times with few/no treats during the day.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Make that kitten a thread :swoon:

Gotta put money into my phone account, I can't send pictures with it and its the only camera I have. Once I do I'll start one.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Corridor posted:

I wrote a post to you above...a few others did too. Quality of food is not the catch all answer. A cat would get fat on wet food too if it was given/ate too much.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

I need a hand here- I'm going out of town tonight, and this kitten has been alone outside since yesterday. No mom, no siblings. I don't know what to do- my family supports a no-kill shelter and the (very nice) lady there said I can take it over, if I do nothing (I don't want to hurt it if it has a mom) I wont be back for 3 days and it might be dead. I have like 30 minutes to decide, I've been so busy I don't have time to research it. It's the cutest thing I have ever seen.

Cat experts!
How old do you guys think it is?
Take it to no-kill shelter or leave it alone and hope for the best?

I've kept an eye on it for 20 hours and no other cat- it just sits there mewling. I know I should be thoughtful and research but I'm pressed for time. Help.

Umph fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 16, 2013

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Umph posted:

I need a hand here- I'm going out of town tonight, and this kitten has been alone outside since yesterday. No mom, no siblings. I don't know what to do- my family supports a no-kill shelter and the (very nice) lady there said I can take it over, if I do nothing (I don't want to hurt it if it has a mom) I wont be back for 3 days and it might be dead. I have like 30 minutes to decide, I've been so busy I don't have time to research it. It's the cutest thing I have ever seen.

Cat experts!
How old do you guys think it is?
Take it to no-kill shelter or leave it alone and hope for the best?

I've kept an eye on it for 20 hours and no other cat- it just sits there mewling. I know I should be thoughtful and research but I'm pressed for time. Help.

I'd get it to a shelter immediately.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Take it to the shelter, jesus. Mom's not going to be too upset (for long, if at all) if she just abandoned it.

Zandorv
Nov 22, 2011

I'm no expert, but I'd say take it to a shelter. If it's been sitting out for 20 hours with no contact from other cats, it's probably alone. Listen to the real cat experts over me, though. I don't know much.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

My reasoning is maybe moms go away for long periods all the time and I'm stupid. Maybe without the mom it's so young I will 100% kill it by interfering.

But I can't let it die and I'm running out of hope for the mom to show up so I will take it to the shelter, thank you guys.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

Corridor posted:

Basically TL;DR I can't get my cat to eat wet food because she's hooked on cat version of Mcdonalds.

If she won't eat wet food then she won't eat wet food. You can't really starve cats into eating, especially fat ones, because they won't eat and then they'll get fatty liver and then they're in trouble. I kind of worry about that wet food anyway, honestly... fish and gelling agent couldn't be a complete meal by themselves if they're not adding in extra minerals and vitamins. If she loves kibble and Science Diet's the best you can get, then that's all you can do, really. Otherwise, to get her to lose weight comes down to decreasing her caloric intake and increasing her energy spent. Don't freefeed, put her on scheduled meal times, slowly decrease her amount of food (enough to make her lose about 1-2% body weight per week), and try to spend time getting her to play more to burn off those calories. Since she loves kibble, those food balls that you have to roll around for food might work really well for her.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Umph posted:

My reasoning is maybe moms go away for long periods all the time and I'm stupid. Maybe without the mom it's so young I will 100% kill it by interfering.

But I can't let it die and I'm running out of hope for the mom to show up so I will take it to the shelter, thank you guys.

Dude, it's a kitten. People raise kittens all the time that have been separated from their moms too early. If you don't want to, take it to the shelter.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Plus even if the mom comes back the world doesn't need another feral cat. This one had a spot in a shelter ready, not a lot of animals in need get that, take kitty in.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

So today in my backyard I noticed a bunch of kittens coming and going from my garage. We don't use the garage for anything but storage, and I left the door cracked open throughout the winter because I was aware there is a stray problem around here and I wanted to provide a warm area for them. I figured there was a good chance one of them would eventually decide to give birth in there, but I wasn't thinking that far ahead. I just wanted them to be warm.

I'd say there are 4-5 kittens in there, and they look at the very least 8 weeks old. I can't tell if the mom is completely feral or not. The first time I brought them food she hissed and hid, but the second time she just gave me a death glare and hid. She likes to hang around our house, and I've talked to her from afar without her fleeing. I bought a bunch of extra cat food today (solid gold and chicken soup) so I can keep feeding them for awhile.

I live in a small town and the shelter near us is known to still use gas chambers and sell animals for experiments. I want to at least avoid taking them there if I can. But I also know that the closest non-kill shelter will only take them if their behavior and health lets them be adoptable. So I'm thinking ideally I could gain their trust and socialize them, but I have no clue how realistic that really is. Let me know if I'm being unrealistic about this.

I am willing to put money into this project to help these guys and their mother survive. I'm just not sure what to do. I was going to start by calling more shelters in the surrounding areas, but I figured I'd ask around here too.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Goobish posted:

I am willing to put money into this project to help these guys and their mother survive. I'm just not sure what to do. I was going to start by calling more shelters in the surrounding areas, but I figured I'd ask around here too.

While 8 weeks is pretty young, they need to be acclimated to humans ASAP. That means taking them into your home and playing with them and keeping them away from feral mom. They might need kitten formula still, but not for too much longer. The babies are still young and impressionable enough to be good house cats.

They'll probably have fleas and god knows what else. If you have other cats, find a way to keep them quarantined from the kittens until you can have a vet check them out. You can give them a warm bath with soapy water to help get rid of some of the fleas since a lot of topical flea prevention products are toxic to the juvenile animals.

As for mom? If you manage to get a live trap and get her in it, you can get her fixed then re-release her into the wild. She can hunt for food on her own and defend herself. She may not live more than a few years, tops...but if she's feral she's not adoptable at all.

Edit: If you handle any of these animals, wash your hands, before, after, and wear gloves in case they get aggressive. Don't try and catch mom barehanded unless you want to shell out for a doctor's visit and antibiotics from the scratches and bites you'll get.

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 17, 2013

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Just an update- the kitten is healthy they said and should be fine. Thanks for the quick advice.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I have a six year old neutered male cat that has spent all his life indoors. He has recently started spraying the wall while he uses the litter box. My first thought was a UTI but I took him to the vet last week and that was not the case. I am pretty sure it is stress from a recent move but I have moved twice before and he has never done anything like this before.

If it helps I have 3 other cats all female all spayed and healthy. Their ages are 7, 13, and 14 and I have four litter boxes.

So if you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

leftover posted:

Charlie (my cat) is incoming 1 June. I'm getting ready for her but I'm presented with a maybe issue as I don't know how she will react.

Here in Japan it gets super hot/humid. I have AC, but for when I don't want to run that I can open windows and doors.

#1 shows my big balcony door fitted with mosquito netting. I could leave the netting shut, but if Charlie gets it into her head I'm sure she could tear a hole (she has all her claws and I will not declaw her, but I will clip them periodically)

#2 is a smaller window with mosquito netting

#3 I have two of these smaller windows that will prop open and have no netting, but they do have bars I assume to keep cats from getting on the ledge, but if she wanted to leap out she could... Four stories down 0_o

Ideas?

In the house I lived at (where she is now) we never opened the windows but whenever I got home she would get past my legs to go in the hallway (enclosed) so I'm worried :(

She got out my old roommates window recently apparently, and even though it wasn't a long jump didn't leap off and was apparently just enjoying the breeze/sun, so maybe I'll be alright. Phew!

The male roommate hates my cat, with good reason. She has all her claws and the other (3) cats do not, so she pretty much terrorizes them constantly :(

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Cat fight problem is escalating. Neco continues to be a jerk, looming over Castiel and "intimidating" him.. and now Leighton is chasing after Cas too.

We have been keeping Castiel in a separate room, and he is a completely different cat then when he is around the other two. While around the two, he hides.. by himself he is super lovable and playful.

This morning I let them in the same room with each other, Neco stalked up to Cas's perch in the window and slowly started moving toward him. Castiel hissed and swatted at Neco. I separated them immediately. This all just seems like a powder keg. I know this takes time and all, but am I doing the right thing? Was going to get some baby gates and put them in so the cats can at least see each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Polish posted:

This morning I let them in the same room with each other, Neco stalked up to Cas's perch in the window and slowly started moving toward him. Castiel hissed and swatted at Neco. I separated them immediately. This all just seems like a powder keg. I know this takes time and all, but am I doing the right thing? Was going to get some baby gates and put them in so the cats can at least see each other.
I would probably let them sort it out, as long as there isn't any blood being drawn. Smacking a cat who's stalking you seems like a reasonable response, and the whole separate/throw them back together cycle basically resets the acclimatization process and reinforces that attacking the strange cat makes it go away. If you want to follow the guide, gradually increase exposure to the other cat's scent, then add visual, and only let them together after they're okay with the earlier steps.