Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
adumbrate verb (adumbrated, adumbrating) formal, literary, etc 1 to indicate or describe in a general way. 2 to suggest or indicate (something likely to happen in the future); to foreshadow. 3 to throw a shadow over something. adumbration noun.

Learning is fun. I also learned that imgur limits its free accounts to a maximum of 225 images.

Guardian:

Gadarene adj applied to those who panic and rush headlong towards disaster.

Telegraph:

Independent:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Apologies for the double post.

Observer:

Sunday Telegraph:

Independent on Sunday:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

labels LABELS labels LABELS labels LABELS

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

adumbrate verb (adumbrated, adumbrating) formal, literary, etc 1 to indicate or describe in a general way. 2 to suggest or indicate (something likely to happen in the future); to foreshadow. 3 to throw a shadow over something. adumbration noun.

Learning is fun. I also learned that imgur limits its free accounts to a maximum of 225 images.

Guardian:

Gadarene adj applied to those who panic and rush headlong towards disaster.

:gonk: Nigel Snake has wings now! :gonk:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

Telegraph:

:stonk::fh:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Gove gonna trip on his skipping rope?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JZVSAljd3Q

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
Zombie Pinoccio Clegg stealing back the orange circle too.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Steve Bell on the death blamed on the bedroom tax.
Stephanie Bottrill reportedly killed herself after being told she would have to find £20 a week to pay for two under-occupied bedrooms.

Last weeks LF in full and the 2 for this week (only 3 last week).

Telegraph:

Anti EU + Popular video on youtube = this cartoon?

Indy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22506407
US President Barack Obama has said the UK should try to "fix" its relationship with the EU before "breaking it off".

I'm guessing its to do with the election in 2014 for Afghanistan and Hamid Karzai can't run again so some people are worried.
Also in Afghan news:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22504646
Afghan protest at Iran 'shooting' of migrants
Afghan Foreign Minister Zalmai Rasoul has summoned Iran's ambassador to protest at the alleged killing of migrants by Iranian border guards.

cloudchamber posted:

The Indy cartoon's a reference to the election in Pakistan. It had a large turnout despite there being bombings in parts of Karachi:
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/11/world/asia/pakistan-election

Daily Mail:
Chris Huhne has been released from jail.

quote:

“Chris has gone out. He asked me to wear his tag for him.”

Daily Express:

Them hedgehogs are going to attack Obama and Cameron?!

Fluo fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 14, 2013

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
The Indy cartoon's a reference to the election in Pakistan. It had a large turnout despite there being bombings in parts of Karachi:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

\
"i just poo poo my pants"

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Obama's got a hosed-up dog, judging by that picture on the table.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

the bird :911:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mr. Squishy posted:

Obama's got a hosed-up dog, judging by that picture on the table.

That doesn't look a thing like Bo.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Obama keeps pictures of hosed-up dogs he doesn't even own in his office.
I guess when you're sick of sneaking in birds, you bring in dick-dogs.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That's a framed lunch menu.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Fluo posted:

“Chris has gone out. He asked me to wear his tag for him.”
Christ that's lame. It could have been a clever cartoon if the caption had just been 'Yes, this is Chris Huhne...'

quote:

Anti EU + Popular video on youtube = this cartoon?
Forced as gently caress really. Still, at least the space station is about to take a comet to the chin somehow.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

prefect posted:

That doesn't look a thing like Bo.

They don't look a thing like David Cameron or Obama, that hasn't stopped him having a career in cartooning.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Fluo posted:

Daily Express:

That dog looks familiar...

Fluo
May 25, 2007

cloudchamber posted:

Ah ok! Think the taliban part threw me off when being half awake and it passed my mind alot of the taliban are in Pakistan. :x

Cloud Potato posted:

That dog looks familiar...

:tinfoil: That dog is the true New World Order leader! :tinfoil:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 14, 2013

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

Tories 'n' Europe.

Telegraph:

Was gonna call copycat but then I noticed "with gratitude to Steve Bell" and :3:

Independent:

Also Dan Brown's got a new book out soon.

Daily Mail:

'Some Tories plan a rebellion against Cameron’s policy over the EU today.'

quote:

“ An all out, no holds barred rebellion against Cameron’s weak EU policy you said…..Well, go on REBEL!”

Express:

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Cheeky bird in that one it's a tattoo on that sailor's arm

What the gently caress is that on the rigging? :stare:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
That pirate outfit is making me thing that "William Hauge: The Musical" should actually be a thing. In best satirical style of course, a tale of tory redemption in which evil manages to triumph over all adversity.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Cloud Potato posted:

Daily Mail:

'Some Tories plan a rebellion against Cameron’s policy over the EU today.'

Mac sneaks another subversive comic out the basement door and past his torturers.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 15, 2013

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Supreme Court posted:

Mac sneaks another subversive comic out the basement door and past his torturers.

Mac is weird as hell.
He's got some good opinions about government and economy (at least the rich-poor gap and evil bankers) but still poo poo/weird on social issues.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It's not so weird. Daily Mail readers aren't as rich as bankers or energy companies, that's all.
Today's cartoon isn't, I'd wager, an assault on the police's heavy handed response to protests, but a lame burn on how Cameron's government isn't as true a blue as it could be.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Can anyone actually explain why do we have different electric/gas tariffs at all? It's all coming out the same plug/pipe and why would anyone ever want to overpay? I know Cameron recently spouted off about making a law insisting people are on the lowest tariff but I cannot fathom why they exist except as a deliberate attempt to confuse consumers. And given how much money must be wasted on sales call centres and adverts and the duplication of administrative capabilities I also can't understand how it makes any sense whatsoever to have a privatised energy sector.

Edit: Sorry forgot this was the cartoon thread. The mention of energy companies just reminded me how bizarre the whole system seems to me that's all.

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 15, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Can anyone actually explain why do we have different electric/gas tariffs at all?

Because depending how and when you use electricity, you can save money. If you work from home, it may be better to pay a flat rate round the clock. If you're out all day, you would want a tariff that gives you cheaper electricity at night in return for paying more for electricity used during the day. And so on and so forth.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Jedit posted:

Because depending how and when you use electricity, you can save money. If you work from home, it may be better to pay a flat rate round the clock. If you're out all day, you would want a tariff that gives you cheaper electricity at night in return for paying more for electricity used during the day. And so on and so forth.

That doesn't explain why they exist in the first place.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lord of the Llamas posted:

That doesn't explain why they exist in the first place.

Differentiation in a market

Demand does influence costs of supplying fuel and energy at various times, so different tariffs are a way of encouraging people to use energy at certain times and smooth things out, and to make it more expensive to step outside of that and use energy less predictably. But this is also a basic necessary resource that has been sold off to private companies who are out to extract rent from it, so any reason to confuse people and act like they're providing some kind of intelligent service around their provision. The private sector is more dynamic and efficient, look at our range of products

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

baka kaba posted:

Differentiation in a market

Demand does influence costs of supplying fuel and energy at various times, so different tariffs are a way of encouraging people to use energy at certain times and smooth things out, and to make it more expensive to step outside of that and use energy less predictably. But this is also a basic necessary resource that has been sold off to private companies who are out to extract rent from it, so any reason to confuse people and act like they're providing some kind of intelligent service around their provision. The private sector is more dynamic and efficient, look at our range of products

I can understand having different rates in peak and off-peak times, but you don't need different tariffs for that.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You can have tariffs that match a certain expected demand - if a certain percentage of people have chosen a given tariff as the best one, that implies a certain use pattern and lets you understand how they intend to use energy, and what the demands will be in each region. It helps incentivise use at certain times by giving people a deal where they get cheap energy at one time, with very expensive energy at other times. Energy production likes demand to be stable and predictable, so the amount of energy being put into the grid needs as little adjustment as necessary, it's not as simple as 'on peak/off peak'

But that's a separate question from 'why do the energy companies have so many tariffs', which is because they're out to make consumer decisions as difficult and opaque as possible, and make it less obvious how much they're jacking up their prices and doing nothing socially useful

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

baka kaba posted:

You can have tariffs that match a certain expected demand - if a certain percentage of people have chosen a given tariff as the best one, that implies a certain use pattern and lets you understand how they intend to use energy, and what the demands will be in each region. It helps incentivise use at certain times by giving people a deal where they get cheap energy at one time, with very expensive energy at other times. Energy production likes demand to be stable and predictable, so the amount of energy being put into the grid needs as little adjustment as necessary, it's not as simple as 'on peak/off peak'

But that's a separate question from 'why do the energy companies have so many tariffs', which is because they're out to make consumer decisions as difficult and opaque as possible, and make it less obvious how much they're jacking up their prices and doing nothing socially useful

1) Is energy usage really so unpredictable (especially in-home usage) they need consumers to choose tariffs in advance as an indication? Somehow that seems very weird to me.

2) So many people just don't bother to figure out what tariff they "should" be on and many others pick the wrong one, so even if (1) holds then I don't see that it is actually that useful to the company.

I'm sure the years of data these companies have on usage would be a far more effective predictor than what tariffs people are choosing. I'd be very surprised to learn if electricity usage was very elastic at all; and the weather is going to be the dominant factor in future gas usage, not tariffs. Your reasoning has a vague lol markets sort of logic to it, but it just smells like a steaming pile of horseshit to me. In your second paragraph you agree they make it "difficult and opaque" for consumers and so that completely contradicts your justification in the first.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Energy usage is quirky as gently caress. Kettle time is probably the classic example, when hundreds of thousands of kettles get turned on at half time in a cup final and the grid suddenly needs to produce a few gigawatts more power.

edit - The companies are class A rip-off merchants though, no question. They know that most people won't be able to calculate which of the tariffs is cheapest for them, but they also can argue they have to provide them because they are cheaper for some people to use.

With smart metering you could apply tariffs after the fact, but :effort:

goatface fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 15, 2013

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

goatface posted:

Energy usage is quirky as gently caress. Kettle time is probably the classic example, when hundreds of thousands of kettles get turned on at half time in a cup final and the grid suddenly needs to produce a few gigawatts more power.

edit - The companies are class A rip-off merchants though, no question. They know that most people won't be able to calculate which of the tariffs is cheapest for them, but they also can argue they have to provide them because they are cheaper for some people to use.

With smart metering you could apply tariffs after the fact, but :effort:

Err how is that quirky? It's all entirely predictable from the TV schedules...

Edit: I've yet to be convinced this energy usage prediction problem is anything an undergraduate CS/AI student couldn't solve. Anyway this is a pretty pointless derail.

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 15, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It's complicated because of the interaction between the generation side (which has to put the required amount of energy into the grid, too much or too little Is A Bad Thing) and the transmission and wholesale, and honestly people in the power generation thread could give you a much more satisfactory answer.

The point is that tariffs are contracts, they signal how much energy customers will demand and when, and when people use energy outside of their normal hours (when it's expensive on their tariff) the increased price covers the additional demand that the wholesaler has to buy more electricity for. It can work as a hedge too, if there's a surge in demand at a particular time, if you have enough people on a mix of tariffs you won't suddenly get a ton of people using electricity and paying a low price, it should balance out with people paying a higher price too.

I think they're already probably pretty good at modelling demand and price fluctuations, since a) we have pretty drat stable power generation without excess demand causing brownouts, and b) the energy companies are consistently hugely profitable, so they're not paying out of the nose for emergency energy supply. So obviously the system is pretty well balanced, allowing the power companies to get skimming off the sweet sweet rentier profits

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

baka kaba posted:

It's complicated because of the interaction between the generation side (which has to put the required amount of energy into the grid, too much or too little Is A Bad Thing) and the transmission and wholesale, and honestly people in the power generation thread could give you a much more satisfactory answer.

The point is that tariffs are contracts, they signal how much energy customers will demand and when, and when people use energy outside of their normal hours (when it's expensive on their tariff) the increased price covers the additional demand that the wholesaler has to buy more electricity for. It can work as a hedge too, if there's a surge in demand at a particular time, if you have enough people on a mix of tariffs you won't suddenly get a ton of people using electricity and paying a low price, it should balance out with people paying a higher price too.

I think they're already probably pretty good at modelling demand and price fluctuations, since a) we have pretty drat stable power generation without excess demand causing brownouts, and b) the energy companies are consistently hugely profitable, so they're not paying out of the nose for emergency energy supply. So obviously the system is pretty well balanced, allowing the power companies to get skimming off the sweet sweet rentier profits

So basically it's a mechanism to protect our glorious private energy companies from losing their precious profits and provides no real benefit to the consumer at all. Pretty much what I assumed.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"At the Bank [of England]'s quarterly inflation report and his last as governor, Sir Mervyn King predicted modest economic growth this year and a fall in inflation."

Telegraph:

Oil bosses accused of petrol price fixing.

Independent:

Hospital Accident and Emergency units facing 'collapse'.

Daily Mail:

"Six Asian men have been given long jail sentences for grooming young girls for sex."

quote:

“Oh very quiet. How has your day been?”
:can: Related: It's time to face up to the problem of sexual abuse in the white community

Daily Express:

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I think the Express is actually worse than Mac's offensiveness. It assumes the audience is so stupid they'll miss the context of Prince Harry being in the U.S., the Statue of Liberty, a skyline of skyscrapers, the Chrysler building and not one but four massive American flags, so they've broken the dialogue to point out that yes, this is a comic strip based in the U.S.

The rest are just dire, aside from Steve Bell (as usual!).

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

The Supreme Court posted:

I think the Express is actually worse than Mac's offensiveness. It assumes the audience is so stupid they'll miss the context of Prince Harry being in the U.S., the Statue of Liberty, a skyline of skyscrapers, the Chrysler building and not one but four massive American flags, so they've broken the dialogue to point out that yes, this is a comic strip based in the U.S.
For added laffs, assume the two figures are standing on the rooftop in order to off themselves due to the state of the first world today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Those are some serious flags

• Locked thread