Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Chicago, King's Speech, and Shakespeare in Love are all perfectly fine films that Crash is significantly worse than.

Yes but the movies they beat are what makes them such bad winners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

What about Driving Miss Daisy or Rain Man?

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

The Awl posted:

I would argue that one can plot a straight line from Crash's Best Picture win to Californians passing a proposition banning gay marriage and a proposition making chickens being raised for slaughter more comfortable in the same year and congratulating themselves for doing so.

Crash is your friend's grandmother whose family is really proud that she doesn't say "colored" anymore. I mean, it is great that she doesn't say "colored" anymore; I don't want to take away from that. She's 83 years old and grew up in Georgia. That's not nothing. But it also very much isn't everything.

http://www.theawl.com/2013/02/crash-the-most-loathsome-best-picture-of-them-all

edit: Seriously, this is the movie that excuses rape and sexual assault because of some bizarre divine intervention where a racist cop can pull the woman he assaulted out of a burning car. Everyone's saved. gently caress Crash. It's not because it's bad on a technical level - that's old hat - but because it's bad on a personal level.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Cameo posted:

What about Driving Miss Daisy or Rain Man?

Both easily better than Crash.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

Gangs of New York, maybe. But Two Towers / The Hours / The Pianist are not better movies than Chicago.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Gangs of New York, maybe. But Two Towers / The Hours / The Pianist are not better movies than Chicago.

I do not know. Chicago is just by the numbers. There is no energy in it that the show has. It is just there.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I loved Shakespeare in Love and The King's Speech and think they're unfairly poo poo on regularly.

But seriously, Crash loving sucked. It wasn't just bad it was offensive on multiple levels. Jack Nicholson's voice and face as he announced it said it all.

I also completely buy the theory that the Academy voting for it over Brokeback Mountain was an unintended gay backlash, even in this day and age of more enlightened thought that everyone supposedly operates under.

There are zero acceptable arguments that Crash is better than Brokeback in my opinion.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I like Chicago, but The Pianist is absolutely much better.

Do people actually like Shakespeare in Love though? That's such a middle-of-the-road movie. Also I just really don't like Joseph Fiennes (aka The Crappy Fiennes).

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

kiimo posted:

I loved Shakespeare in Love

Shakespeare in love is a fine movie, maybe deserved it's nomination but it had no right beating out Saving Private Ryan. The only reason people even remember Shakespeare in love these days is because it beat out Saving Private Ryan.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Febreeze posted:

Shakespeare in love is a fine movie, maybe deserved it's nomination but it had no right beating out Saving Private Ryan. The only reason people even remember Shakespeare in love these days is because it beat out Saving Private Ryan.

Look at what it beat

Elizabeth
Life Is Beautiful
Saving Private Ryan
The Thin Red Line

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Life is Beautiful is a movie that basically everyone nowadays agrees is a saccharine piece of poo poo.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Life is beautiful isn't that bad, but it loads on the sap like mad. In that respect im really surprised it didn't win, seemed like exactly what the academy would want. Probably only didn't due to it being foreign language.

bobkatt013 posted:

Look at what it beat

Elizabeth
Life Is Beautiful
Saving Private Ryan
The Thin Red Line

drat, I forgot the Thin Red Line came out the same year. gently caress Shakespeare in love

Goodfellas I also think was better than Dances with Wolves, but I think the extended directors cut of Dances is a much better movie then the romance piece we got in theaters so it doesn't bother me that much.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 13, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Life is Beautiful is a movie that basically everyone nowadays agrees is a saccharine piece of poo poo.

Its the closest we are going to get to Jerry Lewis's greatest film.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
The worst best picture winners are Dr. Doolittle and the English Patient.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Look at all the trailers being posted.

Red-band trailer for Inside Llewyn Davis.

http://youtu.be/R4GGOXkY5CI

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

CPFortest posted:

The worst best picture winners are Dr. Doolittle and the English Patient.

Out Of Africa's worse than The English Patient.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

Look at all the trailers being posted.

Red-band trailer for Inside Llewyn Davis.

http://youtu.be/R4GGOXkY5CI

I'm kind of pissed that they are waiting till Oscar season to release this movie since I can safely assume that the Coens will get snuffed again like they always do.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Franco's first trailer for his adaptation of As I Lay Dying is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO68Kd2yQsE

Looks interesting. Will be fun to see how he adapts it.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Here's an interesting trailer for Ari Folman's (Waltz with Bashir) next project, The Congress, which is apparently inspired by Stanislaw Lem’s The Futurological Congress:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gv3zSqBBfg

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 14, 2013

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

bobkatt013 posted:

You could say that about every Best Picture winner.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Hey guys every movie sucks because herp

Seriously though looking at the list and working backwards in time, Platoon is the best one on the list since the 80s.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

falz posted:

Hey guys every movie sucks because herp

Seriously though looking at the list and working backwards in time, Platoon is the best one on the list since the 80s.

Unforgiven, Silence of the Lambs, and Schindler's List are pretty great

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

BonoMan posted:

Franco's first trailer for his adaptation of As I Lay Dying is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO68Kd2yQsE

Looks interesting. Will be fun to see how he adapts it.

Very interesting cast.

My mother is a fish. (Not sure if this is a spoiler :ssh:)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

zenintrude posted:

Very interesting cast.

My mother is a fish. (Not sure if this is a spoiler :ssh:)

It was also filmed here in Jackson (Canton), Mississippi. We have a budding film market with a nice 25% cash rebate (not tax credit...straight cash rebate). Part of the deal is most of your crew needs to be from Mississippi so everyone I knew was on it and they said it was really fun and ridiculous lax. Like there was ZERO set security. You could just walk on set and watch them film and you'd probably get ushered into an extras wardrobe and get a free lunch.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Saccharine yeah but there's nothing wrong with that. Call it a piece of poo poo and you and I got beef dawg.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Jewmanji posted:

I'm kind of pissed that they are waiting till Oscar season to release this movie since I can safely assume that the Coens will get snuffed again like they always do.

They're multiple-time Academy Award winners, I'm not exactly sure what the hell you're talking about.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Alehkhs posted:

Here's an interesting trailer for Ari Folman's (Waltz with Bashir) next project, The Congress, which is apparently inspired by Stanislaw Lem’s The Futurological Congress:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gv3zSqBBfg

Great concept if I'm understanding it but does the animation style look kinda bleh to anyone else? Maybe that'll work in the story's favor, though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

scary ghost dog posted:

Saccharine yeah but there's nothing wrong with that. Call it a piece of poo poo and you and I got beef dawg.

I really, really don't like that movie but would probably need a gun to my head to watch it again. So why's it good?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

The Cameo posted:

They're multiple-time Academy Award winners, I'm not exactly sure what the hell you're talking about.

Blood Simple, Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, The Man Who Wasn't There, O Brother Where Art Thou, A Serious Man, and True Grit have 0 Oscars between them. They won 2 for Fargo and 4 for No Country. Not saying those are all best picture winners, but their last film, True Grit, was nominated for 10 categories and didn't win a single one (losing to Alice in Wonderland and The Kings Speech etc.) The Academy Awards are stupid, and I wish they would just release this movie now is all I'm saying.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Febreeze posted:

The only reason people even remember Shakespeare in love these days is because it beat out Saving Private Ryan.

Also Gwyneth Paltrow's speech.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

That's the contemporary opinion of it, sure, but I feel like if it was made in the '50s, everybody would agree it was a timeless classic.

edit: sorry, this is a weird derail.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Jewmanji posted:

The Academy Awards are stupid, and I wish they would just release this movie now is all I'm saying.

A rational want but even if it performed as well any other time of the year, which it very well may not as people now come to expect their works at a certain time and can safely and slowly get hyped, the nominations alone are so political that it'd be like Obama running for a Chi-town suburb's city council after leaving office. They're in too deep to start doing doing spring or summer releases.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

That's the contemporary opinion of it, sure, but I feel like if it was made in the '50s, everybody would agree it was a timeless classic.

edit: sorry, this is a weird derail.

That may be a fair assumption though I'd also say age has something to do with it. Film preferences change like taste buds and indubitably a middle-aged person's palate would better cut through the sappy sentimentality than a contemporary young adult's. But "saccharine" is a perfect one word review.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

soapgish posted:

A rational want but even if it performed as well any other time of the year, which it very well may not as people now come to expect their works at a certain time and can safely and slowly get hyped, the nominations alone are so political that it'd be like Obama running for a Chi-town suburb's city council after leaving office. They're in too deep to start doing doing spring or summer releases.

People who aren't ready at the drop of a hat to go see a Coen brothers film can go hang. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying the film-going public should up their game.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

I really, really don't like that movie but would probably need a gun to my head to watch it again. So why's it good?

It's got a really good script! It's really well acted and directed too! Frankly there's nothing wrong with it, at all.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

scary ghost dog posted:

It's got a really good script! It's really well acted and directed too! Frankly there's nothing wrong with it, at all.

I hate you.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

They also like Miss Congeniality.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I like Miss Congeniality. It makes a good double bill with Election.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

scary ghost dog posted:

The movie's an atrocity. Even the title is offensive.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DNS posted:

The movie's an atrocity. Even the title is offensive.

He was just remaking a Jerry Lewis film and missing the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
RIDDICK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDxDEjDMreA

• Locked thread