Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Corla Plankun posted:

I love google drive for personal use, but if there is ANY chance of "collision" (two people editing/saving the same file) I would not recommend it. I am working on a research paper with a couple other people and we are using a shared google drive and there are currently four copies of our presentation because google doesn't want to over-write anything and it is a pretty big nuisance.

Oh yeah that is annoying. My final business plan would have our initials and version numbers after them. Even still, we had to schedule who works when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Are they using any sort of PDM? Solidworks has one, I forget the name.

If they all just try to work out of a shared folder I feel like its only a matter of time before they start having conflicts and versioning issues. Just trusting the time difference is a recipe for disaster.

And Solidworks is really bad about not rebuilding when referenced parts change so you can just keep trucking along until something triggers a rebuild and your entire assembly breaks into a billion pieces just because it couldn't figure out a mate somewhere.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
You should probably figure out an subversion control method (Tortise SVN is what we use in our lab for client side) because of the possibility of two people editing the same file at once, even with a 12 hour difference. You can lock files while you edit them and then push changes back up to the server for other people to work on.

You could run it off a regular desktop at your office pretty easily if its only a couple people using it.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
We all generally have our own projects and collaboration doesn't occur so often. It's more of that since he is abroad it's easier to share files this way. Our servers are terrible and our IT department is one guy who refuses to buy anything besides or Dell or HP because "this one time we got something from Newegg and it failed." :rolleyes: So anything that interacts with our server is a no go. There's also no organization within our actual drawings folder. I'm just here for another month as an intern and I'm trying to get through this as smoothly as possible.

Edit: Also as a side note, our drawings folder is an absolute mess, for some drawing numbers there exists like 8 copies of the same version of a file. I tried to get a second intern to clean it up since on a regular basis we go on hour and a half long hunts for one unlocatable file. :sigh:

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
Generally, how important is GPA for getting hired? Because I'm working on an elec engineer degree, I'm at the end of my sophomore year, and I'm doing pretty badly. I really enjoy the coursework, but It seems like half the stuff I come up against is impossible to prepare for. I would ideally like to get my GPA to 3.0, but that seems like a pipe dream at the moment.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Get an internship doing something, anything, to offset the GPA. I had something like. 2.8 around junior year, but I managed to work at a fire protection engineering firm for a couple summers. During the school year I did undergraduate research outside of class for multiple semesters.

Senior year I barely had a 3 and I turned down 3 job offers to go to grad school in robotics.I'm not typical, but it's possible.

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
All internships I've looked up though seem to have a 3.0 GPA requirement, though. Do low GPA internships even exist?

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

It depends on your field, but in a lot of cases you'll need to broaden your horizons a bit. I'm not sure how things are in electrical, but in aerospace I wasn't able to find any discipline related internships without a 3.0 requirement. Fortunately aerospace crosses a lot with mechanical so that opens a lot of doors (not that I was able to get any internships even with that, but that's another issue). The trick is to either find something which looks halfway related to what you're doing and dive for it, or to bust your tail networking (and to bust your tail networking). Everyone I know with a relatively low GPA who managed to find an internship did it through networking, whether through family, a family friend, or something else. Ask everyone you know, and put yourself out there. Don't be like me and just send in applications.

I'm graduating this week, and talking around with others in my class it seems like maybe ~10% of outgoing aerospace grads have jobs lined up, with another 10% having had interviews at all. Several guys I know are heading on to grad school even with no guaranteed funding, just to have something definite lined up. It's going to be a fun time searching for a job.

Should I be only focusing on full-time positions, or would a company consider interning someone who's graduated over someone still in school? Like I said, I haven't been able to get any internships and I feel like this puts me well behind most graduates, but whenever I bring up interning with a recruiter I get an odd look and a noncommittal answer "We'll put your resume in our intern pile" etc. I've been applying to both intern and full-time positions since last September and have only heard negatives from both, so I'm not sure if I should focus everything on full-time.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I'll tell you that I've had a ton of time spent talking to recruiters and here's what the internship pile comes down to: They don't give a poo poo about internships. Their pay comes from a commission based on your first year's salary with wherever they place you. They're not going to see much if any return from placing people as interns. Since companies usually have more internship applicants than they have positions available, there's no reason to even want a third party recruiter for that.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Globofglob posted:

All internships I've looked up though seem to have a 3.0 GPA requirement, though. Do low GPA internships even exist?

They do. Look for smaller places that won't auto throw out your resume based on a GPA. If possible email it directly to the person doing the decision making. Even better, talk to them in person at a career fair or if they come to give a presentation on campus. Join your professional society's local chapter (ASME, IEEE, etc) and go to meetings. I guarantee they bring companies to talk about what they do semi-often. That's how I got my resume to who hired me as an intern when I first started.

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

Kolodny posted:

I'm graduating this week, and talking around with others in my class it seems like maybe ~10% of outgoing aerospace grads have jobs lined up, with another 10% having had interviews at all. Several guys I know are heading on to grad school even with no guaranteed funding, just to have something definite lined up. It's going to be a fun time searching for a job.

Are you serious? :stare: Our job placement directly out of school is like 90% (mechanical)

Also the FE results need to come out sooner I want to put it on my stupid resume if I passed it >:[

mokhtar belmokhtar fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 15, 2013

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

It's really incredibly depressing, for the students and the professors both. I was in a class last week, senior level elective aerospace class, ~30 of the smarter people in the class, and the prof asks how many people have something lined up after graduation. Two guys slowly raise their hands. Prof: "Oh. Well. I'm sure you'll all figure out something." This is at Virginia Tech, which make it especially surprising. I'd be interested in what things are like in the other engineering departments.

Then there are the couple people interviewing with Lockheed, Pratt & Whitney, etc. Props to them, I suppose.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Kolodny posted:

It's really incredibly depressing, for the students and the professors both. I was in a class last week, senior level elective aerospace class, ~30 of the smarter people in the class, and the prof asks how many people have something lined up after graduation. Two guys slowly raise their hands. Prof: "Oh. Well. I'm sure you'll all figure out something." This is at Virginia Tech, which make it especially surprising. I'd be interested in what things are like in the other engineering departments.

Then there are the couple people interviewing with Lockheed, Pratt & Whitney, etc. Props to them, I suppose.

:stare:

As a graduate and current grad student in the ME department at Virginia Tech, it's a hell of a lot better on our side of Randolph. Every single person in my senior design a couple years ago (12 people) had a job or grad school lined up. I heard aerospace was bad but not that bad.

MUMMYMTN
May 22, 2003
This half belongs in the grad school thread, but I feel like I might get more meaningful insight here: does anyone here have any experience getting into a M.S. engineering program with a non-engineering B.S (mine's in biology)? I've spoken with the AME graduate liaison at my local university and he seemed to strongly discourage attempting it from anywhere other than the physics department, as picking up the missing coursework pre-requisites would practically put me into 2nd bachelor degree territory. Anyone heard any success stories of people pulling it off?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I was told that getting the prereqs done would require so many classes that I should just do a second undergrad since it would look bad on my resume to not have an engineering undergrad.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

MUMMYMTN posted:

This half belongs in the grad school thread, but I feel like I might get more meaningful insight here: does anyone here have any experience getting into a M.S. engineering program with a non-engineering B.S (mine's in biology)? I've spoken with the AME graduate liaison at my local university and he seemed to strongly discourage attempting it from anywhere other than the physics department, as picking up the missing coursework pre-requisites would practically put me into 2nd bachelor degree territory. Anyone heard any success stories of people pulling it off?

If you pursue a biological engineering degree I'm not sure what you could be missing in terms of pre-reqs. What kind of engineering do you want to do?

MUMMYMTN
May 22, 2003

KetTarma posted:

I was told that getting the prereqs done would require so many classes that I should just do a second undergrad since it would look bad on my resume to not have an engineering undergrad.

Yeah, this is more or less what I've been told, as well.

Corla Plankun posted:

If you pursue a biological engineering degree I'm not sure what you could be missing in terms of pre-reqs. What kind of engineering do you want to do?

My interest lies pretty firmly in mechanical engineering, which aside from some physics and calculus I don't have any coursework in. Biological engineering is something I'm a much stronger candidate for; however, I haven't found any M.S. programs that have caught my interest yet.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
You're missing an enormous amount of coursework for a mechanical graduate degree. Statics, dynamics, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, controls, material selection, solid mechanics, mechanics-based design, electronics, thermodynamics, and probably some other stuff I haven't remembered off the top of my head. And those are just core courses - a typical mechanical undergrad program will include another 5 or so technical electives (elective courses within the mechanical engineering field).

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Frinkahedron posted:

:stare:

As a graduate and current grad student in the ME department at Virginia Tech, it's a hell of a lot better on our side of Randolph. Every single person in my senior design a couple years ago (12 people) had a job or grad school lined up. I heard aerospace was bad but not that bad.

A long time ago, I thought about doing AOE, but my dad convinced me the field wasn't nearly as great as it used to be. It was probably for the best; while I didn't have a job lined up straight out of Tech (EE), I got one in only a couple months (interestingly enough, also in Blacksburg).

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

John McCain posted:

You're missing an enormous amount of coursework for a mechanical graduate degree. Statics, dynamics, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, controls, material selection, solid mechanics, mechanics-based design, electronics, thermodynamics, and probably some other stuff I haven't remembered off the top of my head. And those are just core courses - a typical mechanical undergrad program will include another 5 or so technical electives (elective courses within the mechanical engineering field).

Not to mention higher level math. Calculus is just the beginning........

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

MUMMYMTN posted:

My interest lies pretty firmly in mechanical engineering, which aside from some physics and calculus I don't have any coursework in. Biological engineering is something I'm a much stronger candidate for; however, I haven't found any M.S. programs that have caught my interest yet.

How did you wind up with a Bio BS? Interests usually evolve over time but it seems like you want to do something completely different and that's going to be really hard. Are you sure you can't find anything interesting in the field you spent four years earning a degree in?

Its really hard to imagine a person with no background in the topic contributing masters-level research to a field as established as Mechanical Engineering.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

MUMMYMTN posted:

You have the prereqs to be a sophmore, basically. There will be 18 year olds in your classes.

Tovarisch Rafa
Nov 4, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Aerospace is kind of hosed up right now. A few of my friends that graduated from CU Boulder with aerospace are having a tough time finding jobs. None of the local aerospace companies are hiring.

I'm really glad I stuck with cheme.

Tovarisch Rafa fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 17, 2013

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Tovarisch Rafa posted:

Aerospace is kind of hosed up right now. A few of my friends that graduated from CU Boulder with aerospace are having a tough time finding jobs. None of the local aerospace companies are hiring.

:negative:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Tovarisch Rafa posted:

I'm really glad I stuck with cheme.

What's the deal with this? Is it just the sequester or something else?

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho
Anyone else take the FE? Results out today, got an 81 on that bitch so I'm stoked. (our state releases grades, not sure about others)

djroomba
Apr 29, 2013

mokhtar belmokhtar posted:

Anyone else take the FE? Results out today, got an 81 on that bitch so I'm stoked. (our state releases grades, not sure about others)

My state only tells us whether you pass or fail. I'm glad I got it out of the way last semester.

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

djroomba posted:

My state only tells us whether you pass or fail. I'm glad I got it out of the way last semester.

Yeah, it was way way easier than I expected. So much plug and chug, except I didn't look over any economics and I took it 3 years ago so I had to guess on every single one......even though I knew they were really easy >:[

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Tovarisch Rafa posted:

To come back to this, can you elaborate on this? I am going to CU and of the couple of people I know that just graduated in aero this year one got a job in town, another got one nearby, one got offered a job nearby but turned it down, and the others got jobs but in other states. Did these people you know have internships or what? Are they only looking for jobs in town or what? Why are they having problems? :ohdear:

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I'm not in aerospace but live in a military town. I can tell you that a lot of federal jobs are having periodic hiring freezes and a lot of defense contractors are experiencing downsizing due to Iraq/Afghanistan coming to a close. The sequester didn't help anything. General Dynamics is a major employer in my area and they flat out aren't hiring at all.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
It should get better when congress gets off their asses and passes a budget. Will probably be a few months delay before that money turns into contracts that turn into jobs, though.

Future Wax
Feb 17, 2011

There is no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase!
Can anyone tell me about industrial engineering? I've read about it and it sounds like everything I've wanted in a career, but I'd like to hear from people who have actually done it. It sounds like it's more broad that other types of engineering; is that a good or bad thing? Anything anyone can tell me about it would be great. (Sorry my questions are so vague, I don't really know a lot about engineering so I'm not sure what to ask specifically.)

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Choose Deth posted:

Can anyone tell me about industrial engineering? I've read about it and it sounds like everything I've wanted in a career, but I'd like to hear from people who have actually done it. It sounds like it's more broad that other types of engineering; is that a good or bad thing? Anything anyone can tell me about it would be great. (Sorry my questions are so vague, I don't really know a lot about engineering so I'm not sure what to ask specifically.)
Best way I can really describe it is engineering for engineers who don't want to be engineers. It's got a bad rap as a washout major for the other engineering fields.

The good news is that you don't have to decide yet; virtually all the engineering majors have identical freshman/sophomore classes and don't substantially diverge until your junior year, so you'll have time to figure out what you're good at and what you most enjoy.

grover fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 18, 2013

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

My "engineering professional development" class described it as making a lot of different systems work together as a whole. Think of a huge factory. Each section of that factory has to be fitted together to make a single product. Industrial engineers are the ones that figure out how to get the chocolate from the mixer into the cutter then to the wrapper then to the shipping crates, if that makes any sense. My advisor described it as being less focused on details and more on overall system development.

I'd search monster, indeed, careerbuilder, etc for industrial engineering jobs then contact an industrial engineer via random messaging on LinkedIn. I think it's kind of a niche field.

MUMMYMTN
May 22, 2003
I really appreciate all the responses, everyone. I'm already aware of the degree requirements for a mechanical engineering B.S. My question was whether anyone had heard of someone covering the missing material with postbac coursework and then going on to a masters program instead of starting completely from scratch with a new bachelor's. I thought I had remembered someone in this thread going on to grad school with a philosophy degree, but I may have been mistaken.

In any case, I was leaning more towards a bachelor's degree myself; however, I wanted to make sure I wouldn't be wasting time or money going down that path and reading between the lines on the responses in this thread it seems all of you agree with me.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

If it makes you feel any better, I'm going back to school for a BSEE despite having a BS-nuclear engineering technology because trying to go directly into a MSEE wasn't happening and being a nuclear tech is extraordinarily niche.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

KetTarma posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I'm going back to school for a BSEE despite having a BS-nuclear engineering technology because trying to go directly into a MSEE wasn't happening and being a nuclear tech is extraordinarily niche.
To be clear, you mean BS as in bullshit, not bachelors of science?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

you know me too well :(

Tovarisch Rafa
Nov 4, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

To come back to this, can you elaborate on this? I am going to CU and of the couple of people I know that just graduated in aero this year one got a job in town, another got one nearby, one got offered a job nearby but turned it down, and the others got jobs but in other states. Did these people you know have internships or what? Are they only looking for jobs in town or what? Why are they having problems? :ohdear:

Well, last time I talked to my two friends studying aero, they had a hard time finding jobs and said that this was the case all around. It may have been hyperbole on their part due to temporary frustration.

edit: Just facebooked them, one is working for Boeing and the other went to grad school elsewhere, so I may have been talking out of my rear end.

On a funny note a friend of mine has to take material and energy balances(sometimes called stoichiometry at other cheme departments) at CU Boulder a third time.

Tovarisch Rafa fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Globofglob posted:

Generally, how important is GPA for getting hired? Because I'm working on an elec engineer degree, I'm at the end of my sophomore year, and I'm doing pretty badly. I really enjoy the coursework, but It seems like half the stuff I come up against is impossible to prepare for. I would ideally like to get my GPA to 3.0, but that seems like a pipe dream at the moment.

Can you expand on what you mean by "impossible to prepare for?" In general I'd assume anyone trying to become an engineer saying this has sub-par problem solving abilities and/or work ethic but I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume maybe you're having bad luck with gen ed professors or something?

e: probably worth mentioning that my junior/senior GPA was much better than soph just because there are less washout classes and more knowledge carries over into subsequent coursework so you're starting with a decent background instead of a hodge podge of only mathematically related materials.

resident fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 20, 2013