Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
I totally cannot wait to see if I can get my parents into a Daft Punk record :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

AwwJeah posted:

I totally cannot wait to see if I can get my parents into a Daft Punk record :3:

I was thinking that too, my dad is a huge ELO and Steely Dan fan, I think I can get him into this.

Also got to finally listen to the whole album through in a sitting, and yep- "Touch" is my favorite song. The thought that the guy who wrote "Rainbow Connection" is on an album with a couple of French guys who dress up like robots just makes me smile every time I hear it.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Someone on Reddit said that Daft Punk said they are going to be heavily sampling this album. If that is the case then I am excited.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Man, I initially hated Fragments of Time but I'm starting to like the weird country twang / funky vocal combination.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Listened to the album three or four times today just to make sure I wasn't crazy and honestly I just don't like it at all.

I really enjoy funk and disco and gave this album a fair shot, but I felt the songs, while warm/vintage sounding and overall well recorded with a semi-Royksopp vibe, were really lacking. The entire album was missing something and I can't really put my finger on it. It, uh, really didn't go anywhere. It's more of a collection of songs that sound like a college party mixtape. The album has no energy: half of the songs belong toward the end of the album and the first half get you excited for a climax that just doesn't happen. I recall a few years back the main complaint with Plastic Beach was that it felt more Damon Albarn & Friends than something meant to be on par with Demon Days: most of the songs by themselves were mediocre or dove too far into the gimmick of Plastic Beach. With RAM, I felt that given the genre, the one thing they had going for them was the ability to make the songs come together, but by giving them all the same tempo and laid-back sound was not one of them. Daft Punk & Friends without some sort of plot just doesn't give the album any strong suits.

I really only enjoyed Lose Yourself to Dance, but even so, I felt the modulated voices throughout the album sounded too much like Dolly Dress Ups and could use to be upped a significant number of bpm, along with the majority of the album, for that matter.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Also got to finally listen to the whole album through in a sitting, and yep- "Touch" is my favorite song. The thought that the guy who wrote "Rainbow Connection" is on an album with a couple of French guys who dress up like robots just makes me smile every time I hear it.

I don't know if Touch is my favorite but it's close. Like an earlier Goon...I just can't get into that two minute intro. Once that's over and out it's smooth sailing though, that track just makes me grin. I'm just calling it the Rainbow Connection of RAM personally. Really there's only a few tracks I don't care much for, I think everything else is pretty solid and I dig it. My only wish that didn't come true was an Earth Wind and Fire-esque brass section in a song. I don't care how unreasonable that is/was, I just had my fingers crossed.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

AwwJeah posted:

My 6 year old loves it.

HexagonalSun
Mar 2, 2013

NUKE THE SWISS
I have a theory about this album.

It's an homage to this collection of music http://www.amazon.com/Discovered-As-Sampled-Daft-Punk/dp/B000W03RK8 , a compilation of DP's collected samples from the 70's and 80's. Interspersing these tracks in RAM breathes a lot of life into the record, and adds to the "70's supergroup" vibe I get from vanilla RAM.

Give it a try; the tracklist is available on the amazon link.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
after a couple of listens "Lose Yourself To Dance" is just phenomenal. I can't wait to dance to that song this Summer.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Fragments of Time annoys me because it sounds too much like the Chromeo/Ezra Koenig song off Business Casual.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The Fresh Prince posted:

Fragments of Time annoys me because it sounds too much like the Chromeo/Ezra Koenig song off Business Casual.

Weird that you say that because it also reminded me of that song (and its my favorite one). Fragments of Time to me sounds like a Hall and Oates song and thats fine by me.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
That song got played out by my group of friends v:shobon:v

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
Listening through again changed my mind. Album is dope.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

AwwJeah posted:

My dad absolutely loves the album, but he's been a club/radio DJ since the 60's so that's really no surprise.

On a side note, we now know this is fake, but does anyone know who the actual artist is?

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
How do you improve on perfection?
Pitball!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The more I listen to this album, the more I understand why some people are disappointed or don't like it. Taste is all subjective and it takes a while for me to stop and look at things from a different angle if I'm engrossed in something.

I just like funky music, and RAM has plenty of that. I don't care what genre music is in as long as it appeals to my ears, and my attitude at first was pretty much "none of us are old enough to hate disco". I have parents who went through the era and got sick of disco, they have a right to hate it or dismiss it. Someone like me, who never really sought out that genre and was born way past its heydey -like a lot of people around my age- it's a pretty fresh sound to me. I'm not about to put on a disco suit and platform heels and kick it to Give Life Back To Music, but I do enjoy the sound and I'm not ruined on it like some people are.

Conversely, I'm not crazy on EDM for the opposite reason- I'm so completely loving burned out on 'laptop' music in general unless it's just exceptional. Honestly, at this point I have a tape of Kraftwerk - The Mix in my car (that's older than I am), Justice - Cross, and with Daft Punk's discography, and every time I try to explore that genre further than that I just get bored by what I hear.

I guess I got what I wanted out of Daft Punk here - which is something I'm not necessarily used to hearing that's well-made. The live instruments were a great choice to me, and revisiting old/underused genres to re-expose younger people to them is a pretty cool thought, even if it wasn't the intent of the album.

The worst I can say about RAM right now is that it's more than a little bit cheesy, and some of the tracks lay the corn on so thick I'm starting to skip them.

I also can't get hyped for remixes, as some people are obviously ready and anticipating, apparently even Daft Punk themselves. I don't know if live instrumentation necessarily poses a challenge to the crowd of people who remix other people's songs in their free-time, but if it does I'm pretty unafflicted by that as well.

So yeah, I can admit this album is probably ballsweat and dogshit to a lot of people who were expecting something built off of homework or human after all, or more closely tied to the EDM scene, but Discovery 2 with live instruments is loving great to me.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 15, 2013

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
As a dance album, this album fails to have any real energy behind it.

But it's strange, when I laid on the bed at night with the lights off and just listened to this album in full, it just washed all over me. it was pretty loving amazing and entrancing.

So I have mixed feelings, it's on the one hand not the next Alive or Discovery I was hoping for, but it offers something so different than what I'm used to it's really an interesting album to listen to.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

I love the album more and more with every listen. I guess I have terrible taste or something. I also really like Human After All which I'm gathering was a huge disappointment somehow? I love literally every track on that album. I had a feeling that a whole lot of people weren't going to like RAM. They're allowed. But the vitriol is ridiculous. Can't we all just hang out in the big dance music party DP talked about in that Pitchfork cover story? :unsmith:

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Is it just me or does Giorgio by Moroder have a really similar melody to the end credits song of Blade Runner? When the song came on all I could think of was Blade Runner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAwo7DPUFUM

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
How 'bout a remix?

https://soundcloud.com/dumbshitthatjakazidmade/get-clucky#play

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Xovaan posted:

overall well recorded with a semi-Royksopp vibe
Ooooh good call, I totally feel that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

thathonkey posted:

It does seem like a smart idea/the best strategy available but I think in this case it has probably driven a lot of would-be purchasers to cancel pre-orders/plans of buying. It did that for me at least. But once you do that, there is no way of determining what effect it has on sales, if any.

I'd imagine that, if nothing else it won't take away from sales. Maybe you can argue that "well, if people already have the album, or have heard the album, they'll be burned out by the time it's available for sale", but I think what an early stream does is separate the actual consumer from those that just don't like the album. The people who really want to buy the album to own it and support the band will be more inclined to do so ("See how cool X Band is? We should compensate them!"), and the ones who don't like it will just delete the album and forget about it.

I'm personally on the fence, so I may or may not buy it depending on my mood around release time. If I buy an album these days it's usually on vinyl + digital download, but I don't know if I like this album enough to pay $40 for it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

ManoliIsFat posted:

Ooooh good call, I totally feel that.

This was one of my clearest impressions on my first listen as well. Thinking about it in that context makes it even better for me.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Amazon has the vinyl for $34. Or at least that's what I paid for it.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I keep hearing Freezepop's "Less Talk More Rokk" the last minutes of "Giorgio" (and most of the melody in "Beyond"). Not sure if there's anything there, but eh, gently caress it, I like it!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I want to makeout with the moroder drummer so bad. That hi hat work :stare:

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
If anything. I hope this record will make more producers think about mixing their tracks less LOUD AND IN YOUR FACE!! I dig the production although so far I find most of the songs a bit dull and lifeless.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
http://pitchfork.com/news/50746-daft-punk-cover-story-outtakes/

quote:

Number of separate recording tracks used to make "Touch": 250

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

quote:

The first time Bangalter played RAM for DJ Falcon in his studio, the speakers blew out as the album's last track, "Contact", came to its climactic finale. "You don't need speakers anymore!" Falcon, who co-produced "Contact", recalls saying. "Let's burn the studio!"

That's the same thought I had after that track. It was like a Daft Punk guitar smash.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I had never seen that video for "Music Sounds Better With You", even though I've heard that song literally hundreds of times. It's so beautiful, made a tear or two well up behind my eye!

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF

That kinda stuff reminds me a bit of Matthew Herbert in the press materials to Scale talking about how he sampled more than 90 coffins closing for a particular beat or some poo poo like that. It sounds insane and is a crazy pull-quote, but in the process of actually recording it probably wasn't nearly as audacious as it sounds.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
A couple of things came to mind based on that Pitchfork article: (bear in mind I say a lot of this with love and reverence for DP.)

1) The last song conceived for Random Access Memories: "Doin' It Right", featuring Panda Bear.
Aka: Daft Punk nearly got done, realized, "What the gently caress are we doing? We're not scoring a 1980's Ralph Bakshi cartoon!" and then got back to making awesome music.

2)Referencing 'Music Sounds Better with You' in this article just kind of drives the nail home as to what is lacking in this album by contrast. Music Sounds better with You is the perfect example of the RIGHT kind of cheese lyrics that are fun, and not sappy or sad or dumb. The robo-voice is used uniquely. And the song has old school vibe, with new school feel, and TONS of energy.

3)Chilly Gonzales on the potential impact of Random Access Memories: "It will lead many musicians out of the cul-de-sac they currently face. And those that do not understand will be cursed to make disposable music on laptops forever."
Hey, I'm as big a fan as anyone of DP. Which makes me want to ask Chilly... "Hey, is it cold living inside the rectum of a robot?"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Are there any other electronic artists who've taken a such a purposeful stab at the bombastic/dramatic Darkside-ish full album concept? The more info we get about the album the more I think the message isn't "hey, real instruments" but more "hey, why don't we use these computers to try and make hit albums instead of just making hit songs?"

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Haha I love that quote about the Stardust track, like they got out of the studio and realized it was the best French house track ever and abandoned the project immediately

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

MMD3 posted:

uhhh...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkEYnXd5VkY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeWLi9TROtE

there you go, welcome to Daft Punk punching you in the face circa 2005

and here's one from 1997 for good measure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zZD_ItaEuU

this...

Three of the worst DP songs.

I love this album a lot. The only song I find myself continually skipping is The Game of Love. It's just so boring.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm alright with Game of Love, but putting it so close to "within" is a real energy sink. I think Within->Touch->Get Lucky would've been a more interesting through line. I really wonder what's up with Touch being surrounded by the two bangin' Pharrel/Nile tracks. Like were they afraid people wouldn't buy into their attempt at the mini-opera lest the memory be padded by the albums hot moments?

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Are there any other electronic artists who've taken a such a purposeful stab at the bombastic/dramatic Darkside-ish full album concept? The more info we get about the album the more I think the message isn't "hey, real instruments" but more "hey, why don't we use these computers to try and make hit albums instead of just making hit songs?"

You mean like Dark Side of the Moon? Sure, there are a million electronic records out there that go for the whole epic, immersive album experience. Just focusing on the MTV star 90s crowd like Daft Punk, you had The Orb, Underworld (both quite good at it), FSOL (a little more hit-and-miss), Goldie ("I can feel my mooooooother") all making widescreen epic LPs.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Sweet, I'm excited to hear those now. I don't know why I didn't keep up with FSOL or Underworld I used to like them both quite a bit as a youngin'.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm alright with Game of Love, but putting it so close to "within" is a real energy sink. I think Within->Touch->Get Lucky would've been a more interesting through line. I really wonder what's up with Touch being surrounded by the two bangin' Pharrel/Nile tracks. Like were they afraid people wouldn't buy into their attempt at the mini-opera lest the memory be padded by the albums hot moments?

I agree wholeheartedly. I love Within, though. The progression in it is just as slow but a lot more enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Muck and Mire posted:

Haha I love that quote about the Stardust track, like they got out of the studio and realized it was the best French house track ever and abandoned the project immediately

I didn't even know that was Bangalter until reading that despite having loved the song for years. It didn't even begin to surprise me though somehow.

Edit: And he did "So much love to give" too?!? What the gently caress!

El Seano fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 15, 2013

• Locked thread