Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Some of my favorite memories was my sisters and my mom poo poo talking someone who was standing right there. They'd ask me what they were saying and I'd be all "Oh just laughing bout some show, you know Alf yeah?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

Eldjarn posted:

The reason for this is that verb endings should not be hindering you in any way as long as you learn everything else properly. They keep students on the polite stuff to hammer in how important it is to speak that way to strangers. If you have done level 2 you have also actually learned banmal, you just don't realize it:
Drop the 요 from -어/아/여요 endings and you have banmal for the most part.
-는/ㄴ다고/다고-(and many many others) clausal connectors are also basically just banmal(the written, default kind that you find in almost every book and you are supposed to write the story portion of exams with), but with -고 added for the connective part. This is all taught in level 2 and your teacher probably explained it. If I remember correctly, it was even on the last exam.

The point I'm trying to make though is that endings don't matter when you learn the language. As long as you get the fundamentals down properly you can export it to the new verb endings as they are covered. Looking at my level 3 book though, the 'banmal' grammar they cover there is in 2 texts only. That means 1 day out of 50 covering this new banmal - the reason for this being that it's actually ridiculously easy.

This is also part of the reason why I find it ridiculous to read all the reasons for "why Korean is hard" around the net. They usually make two big points:
1. "Korean is hard because it has a different word order compared to English!"
- Anyone who still has issues with word order in Korean after the first two weeks is never ever going to learn Korean.
2. "Korean is hard because it has like a bajillion different politeness level conjugations!"
- This is slightly more valid, but not because of the actual conjugations. Knowing when to use the different endings is easy enough(except with younger kids/adolescents) - the conjugations are all based on the person you are speaking to(해라체, 하게체, 하오체, 합쇼체, 해체-반말, 해요체). When you have learned one, learning the next is infinitely easier - less than 1 hour probably. Subject/Object/Target based honorifics(으시 additions, and special suffixes and verbs like -께, 드리다 etc.) are harder to remember for most foreigners, but this all comes with practice.

I went off on a tangent there, but really - if you know all the polite endings you can learn banmal in less than 1 hour on your own.

Fair enough. I don't actually think Korean is extremely hard to learn, just that it requires a lot of effort and after nine years I still have major trouble with basic listening comprehension.

One thing that I found especially frustrating looking back at the university courses is how they introduce verb conjugations. Not the honorifics but the endings, like -고싶다 or -고 있다 for example (two I have no problem with). I found that I was better able to teach myself this on my own by simply listing them out and memorising them in contrast to each other, rather than practicing each in isolation. It's the overall structure of how new information is introduced that must be my problem.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'd wager that most people would agree that Korean is an incredibly hard language to get really good listening comprehension with, as opposed to something like Japanese. Korean (in contrast to Japanese) seems much more fluid and soft. Also, whereas English has a zillion vowel sounds and 5/6 vowels, most of their vowels share similarities with just 4 of ours, so I find it hard to really get beyond 60-80% listening comprehension. Then again, I'm just dumb, so whatever.

Eldjarn
Nov 10, 2005

Puppylover

terivinix posted:

Fair enough. I don't actually think Korean is extremely hard to learn, just that it requires a lot of effort and after nine years I still have major trouble with basic listening comprehension.

One thing that I found especially frustrating looking back at the university courses is how they introduce verb conjugations. Not the honorifics but the endings, like -고싶다 or -고 있다 for example (two I have no problem with). I found that I was better able to teach myself this on my own by simply listing them out and memorising them in contrast to each other, rather than practicing each in isolation. It's the overall structure of how new information is introduced that must be my problem.

Different people need different methods yeah. I've met my fair share of (some extremely smart) students who couldn't handle the Yonsei program and switched to Sogang, Ewha etc. They seem to be doing a lot better there. For the most part I'm happy with Yonsei and the way they do things, though looking back I think it would've been a lot better for me if they spent a little more time on certain grammar points. I'm planning on doing level 5 over again this summer even though I'm going to pass, mainly so I can repeat stuff I missed in level 3 and 4.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
No offense, Eldjarn, but your conclusions read like they were made in a classroom.

Korean is theoretically easy until you sit down at a table with 8 Korean dudes speaking 반말 to each other at full speed. 2 of my 3 classes are lectured entirely in Korean (although one is supposedly an English lecture). They use technical vocabulary and the professor doesn't make any attempt to dumb things down for me as far as I can tell, but I understand 99% of what the professor says when he's lecturing. Then we go out to lunch and shoot the poo poo, and I'm lost most of the time.

It doesn't seem to have a lot to do with the grammar, it's just the fact that their intonation and rhythm changes completely when they talk in 반말.

Anyway, hand-waving aside, there's no need to explain why it's harder than other languages for Germanic/Romance language native speakers; it's proven to be. It's possible to do for anybody, certainly. But both German and Spanish seemed to leak into my brain without even trying when I took classes, while Korean continued to tongue-tie me for a couple years, and still does sometimes.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

반말 ain't got poo poo on Bokmål. :norway:

Eldjarn
Nov 10, 2005

Puppylover

The Gay Bean posted:

No offense, Eldjarn, but your conclusions read like they were made in a classroom.

It doesn't seem to have a lot to do with the grammar, it's just the fact that their intonation and rhythm changes completely when they talk in 반말.

None taken, but he was complaining that Yonsei was keeping banmal out of reach until level 3, my point was that what they teach can be learned in an hour of self-study. Actually practising it, using it, is not something that is done that much in the classroom anyway. I seem to remember us talking in banmal for a few days, but most of my practice comes from speaking with friends.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Sorry to interrupt Korean class chat (but I am starting my class at the Ansan Migrant center this weekend!!)

But I just don't get this online banking certificate poo poo. I went to the bank with a Korean friend, filled out some forms and stuff. I got a little card with a bunch of numbers. I guess I enter one from one column and the second from another and... Whatever.

Then the friend walked me through some poo poo on a website (she did it then just told me when to type in some passwords and stuff.) Then something downloaded to a flash drive. So... The gently caress do I do with all this?

I go to iherb, go checkout the ... What? Run some program on the drive?

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
iHerb only takes credit cards (I assume all of this setup was for a debit), and regardless only needs the number. What are you talking about, and what does this have to do with online banking.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

The flash drive thing is for your online banking. Part of the authentication process is pointing the site to your drive/file so if you're ever looking to make a transaction online make sure you've got the USB with you.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

The only thing it has to do with online banking is you guys telling me I get the certificate when I set it up.

And its a check card with a visa logo.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

What I figured out about that is it's a central website maintained by ? and it's a certificate that can be used to authenticate the fact that you are in fact you for a number of websites - not just banks. So, like, keep it safe and stuff.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

The thing is my card still keeps getting denied on iherb. I'm not sure what else I need to do, I filled out the forms, went with someone to translate, said "online shopping" and "gmarket" like 50 times.

Did the certificate thing, paid 4k₩ for the extra whatever one, set up all my passwords. And... Nothing.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
Your card isn't a credit card. If iHerb only takes credit (which I can't say, but someone else did), your check card won't work no matter what you do about online banking. Also, I don't think you needed to pay for the extra security certificate.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

What the gently caress, how does anyone get anything bought in this drat country? I guess that explains why gmarket looks like Ebay from 10 years ago, no one is able to buy anything.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

erobadapazzi posted:

Your card isn't a credit card. If iHerb only takes credit (which I can't say, but someone else did), your check card won't work no matter what you do about online banking. Also, I don't think you needed to pay for the extra security certificate.

Then how is everyone else doing it? And why is there a visa logo on my card if I can't use it at places that take visa?

How the hell are you guys buying from iherb?

Edit: and I know I didn't have to pay for one, I had a choice between a free certificate and a 4000ish₩ one. I just paid because gently caress it this is frustrating.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I use my American debit card on iHerb and bank transfers for gmarket so I have no experience here.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My foolproof strategy for buying things from Korean websites:

1. Try and fail for an hour and a half.
2. Launch a profanity filled rant for 40 minutes.
3. Pay someone else to make the purchase.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I'm at step 2, but I don't wanna keep hassling my friends to use their credit cards to buy hundreds of dollars of tea and shaving poo poo. I've had my coworkers do it, but then they ask me to "try" some of my tea every day.

Which is cool but when everyone's asking me for tea every day it gets expensive.

I think I still have a US credit union account but my cards expired. This is outside the scope of this thread but think its possible to get family back home to get me a new ATM card and poo poo? Do credit unions do that if I can't be there to authorize it? I'm sure intercontinental bankings at least easier than this poo poo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yes. My parents send me my new card when it gets replaced.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Kant can verify that I'm not exaggerating on step two. It pretty much is 40 uninterrupted minutes of creative foul language.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

BrainDance posted:

I'm at step 2, but I don't wanna keep hassling my friends to use their credit cards to buy hundreds of dollars of tea and shaving poo poo. I've had my coworkers do it, but then they ask me to "try" some of my tea every day.

Which is cool but when everyone's asking me for tea every day it gets expensive.

I think I still have a US credit union account but my cards expired. This is outside the scope of this thread but think its possible to get family back home to get me a new ATM card and poo poo? Do credit unions do that if I can't be there to authorize it? I'm sure intercontinental bankings at least easier than this poo poo.

Honestly, if you trust your family, have them just tell you the necessary numbers on the card and write it down. I did that for a while and my mom held my card in the event that anyone back home had a financial emergency and needed some funds.

Also, your card with a visa logo is just a bank card that can access atm terminals and purchase in person. I'm not accounting wiz, but I think it's because bank cards aren't issued a line of credit from Visa/Mastercard that can be drawn against and soon replaced via bank account. What we recieve is probably a cheap workaround where if you do get a line of credit, it's for zero and the funds will directly be pulled from your account.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Kant can verify that I'm not exaggerating on step two. It pretty much is 40 uninterrupted minutes of creative foul language.

Hey I believe you, I'm still having "the gently caress does this country do anything? This is all bullshit" thoughts.

But my families on the case right now so thanks guys, I guess I have a US credit card I forgot to bring over too so that's cool. I'm still pissy because I'm running low on tea, I don't want to resort to drinking tesco assam whatever or that corn tea bullshit.

Funny how living heres completely changed my perspective in US banking.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm pretty sure just getting a Citibank card would solve all these problems.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
As I've said before, Korean Credit Cards are the way to go. Took me a while to do it myself, but it was worth it even if I did settle on a less optimal one.

My credit union requires a flesh and blood person there and mine might actually require me to be there. As it stands it's pulling funds from my account (the free checking became not free) and so now every month I get a late fee and it hurts my credit. I can't get them to cancel my account so now I wish my student loans were private just so I could go bankrupt, my interest rate on the govt student loans was not much lower than my credit card (with the good score before this bullshit).

And yes there is a difference between an ATM card, Check/Debit card, and Credit Card. Best bet is to call the English service line a few times and pay attention. There are lots of steps to do, but once you do them it's not too painful.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Cameron posted:

I'm pretty sure just getting a Citibank card would solve all these problems.

But then, we'd have nothing to talk about :(

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

ladron posted:

I think we might know tons of the same people.

Probably but the person that asked me to do the poster is not doing the type of marketing I'd recommend; either way should be a fun night I suppose.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
This isn't Korea-specific, but I figure you folks would appreciate it.

I don't have cable tv. However, I do miss the background noise that the news would give me. So, I went out and found some streaming news sources. I just open a second window and fullscreen it on my TV while I do whatever. It works really well!

Al-Jazeera
Bloomberg Business news
France24, the French BBC
CSPAN Best Span
NHK: Japanese news

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

FWIW, when I upped my Korean vocabulary by actually studying for ~2 weeks, buying things on a website became simple as heck. Part of the reason, though, is a lot of my studying came down to playing and registering for games online and learning and reinforcing by doing. I learned a lot of vocabulary relevant to doing stuff online. It's easy to do when a) the website actually works (and sometimes it doesn't!) and b) you know what the gently caress it is asking for and what options it is presenting you with

Another tidbit that may help: that little card is an extra security measure. You should always keep it or a picture of it with you (less secure, but lol at security in Korea). Basically, at some point a website will give you two numbers at the front or the back part of that card and you have to fill in the remaining two that are not there. It's used mostly for money transfers, though - not in website transactions in my experience.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Hello Korea goons! I may be visiting your fine country this August.
I am very interested in Korea because my college buddy has family there and can put me up/show me around, and because I want to get LASIK done and I know Korean doctors are well renowned in Asia for their plastic surgery abilities.

I have been researching a lot about vision correction surgery in Korea, but most of the blogs are by people who are living there long-term and simply take off a day or two (or a month, if they do LASEK instead of LASIK) for recovery.
My question is, how reasonable is it to book tickets for ~2 weeks in Korea, and just show up and expect to schedule an appointment? I keep reading that people go in for the consultation and then are offered to do the surgery right there on the spot, but is booking the actual appointment itself hard? Is it even possible to book an appointment from overseas?

Also any location recommendations would be awesome if you happen to have any. I'm only considering LASIK because I read that LASEK has a much longer recovery time and I won't have sufficient time/would be a horrible house guest if I just spent the whole time lying there in agony. I'm willing to pay upwards of 1.8 m won, although 1.3-1.5 range is ideal since it seems like there is not much variation in service.
My friend's family are in Daegu so if it's cheaper in Daegu than in Seoul, I'd be all for that as well.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

hitension posted:

:words: please shoot my eyes with lasers
Korea is making a big push for its medical tourism, there should be plenty of people bending over backwards of take your money. I remember Daegu being one of the cities really trying for it.

rolecks
Apr 12, 2013
I just had LASEK done this past Feb at Dream Eye Center in Gangnam (http://www.hellolasik.com/eng_site/). It was 1.6 which I've heard is a bit more expensive than other places but the service/English I got from these guys was amazing. I did the consultation a few weeks before the surgery since I live far away from Seoul but I could have gone in the next day for the actual surgery if I wanted to. The surgery itself was a piece of cake and they even threw in a free night's stay at a seedy love motel around the corner.

The process went like this:
  • Post a message on their site for a consult
  • Go in for consult, get the OK for surgery, schedule surgery
  • Go to surgery (the day before I put in antibiotic drops 4 times)
  • Get posted up in a love motel and go in the next day for checkup
  • Have checkups once a month

The only bad days were the 3rd and 4th where my eyes were really tired but I could still get around if I had to. I thought it was gonna be all Minority Report with strings to the shitter but I was surprised how mild the pain was.

My eyes were -8/-7.5 so I would've given my first born to see straight...

rolecks fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 17, 2013

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
About five goons have had laser eye surgery done at Dream Eye Gangnam now, myself included. They're good people.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
God drat it must suck to have wonky eyes.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Are the above prices factoring in insurance? I'm waiting on my EPIK placement right now and would love to get LASIK. I'm wondering if the costs would be lower for a working resident than a tourist.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Far as I know insurance doesn't cover LASIK at all.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Insurance is very basic. If it doesn't directly affect your health it's not covered. There is supplementary insurance but I don't know any E2 holders who have worked that out.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

That makes sense. Still cheaper than continuing to buy contacts year after year or getting LASIK in the US.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
^beaten

Even without insurance, $1200-1500 for both eyes is a great price when its $2000-4000 per single eye in the States.

Thanks for the tips! I'll ask my friend if she knows any places in Daegu, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve
I dissapeared from the thread for months but now I'm sitting in a small restaurant doors down from my hotel having a jetlag beer. More on this, other inanity and social faux-pas when we return.

• Locked thread