Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

concerned mom posted:

I just purchased Rome 2 on GreenMan so thanks for that discount code. They emailed me my receipt and said to put the game key in to Steam but they haven't sent a key in the email. Will they just do this nearer the release date or did something go wrong? Sorry I haven't used GreenMan before.

They'll send it to you near release. Or if you're unlucky, you'll get it on the release day or perhaps a bit afterwards, GMG has been known to be a bit iffy about key distributions on occasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fizzil posted:

The Lusitani, around Portugal and Galicia i think.. someone else can correct me as i don't remember much about the area they occupied. They are i think the only tribe that remained neutral and independent from both rome and carthage.

They also lasted longer than that gimmick faction in britain :colbert:

I think they're the only plausible faction since they're the only ones who put up a serious semi organized alliance against foreign invaders. The Asturians did the same but they spent their time chillin in mountains while the Lusitani made several advances into enemy territory.

I hope they don't bring back the vet system from Shogun though. Seems like a great way to pubstomp newbies.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Thanks Steam for giving me two identical 75% off coupons for Shogun 2 which I already own. I've got two to give away for free if anyone was on the fence about buying this game and was waiting for a price drop.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

hello internet posted:

Thanks Steam for giving me two identical 75% off coupons for Shogun 2 which I already own. I've got two to give away for free if anyone was on the fence about buying this game and was waiting for a price drop.

That's kinda the point. It's literally a 'please do some word of mouth promotion for us' publicity campaign.

It's really smart too.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Alchenar posted:

That's kinda the point. It's literally a 'please do some word of mouth promotion for us' publicity campaign.

It's really smart too.

Yeah it is. all 7 coupons I've received are for games I already have :(

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

hello internet posted:

Yeah it is. all 7 coupons I've received are for games I already have :(

Yeah but as a Steam user you probably got those games on sale. This is Valve doing ridiculously clever joint marketing with publishers where they get people to sell games to their friends and promote uptake of Steam.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I have a question about Shogun 2...if I sign a peace treaty with a foe I am at war with, will that treaty be enforced for my vassals as well? I'm playing a legendary game, so I can't just do it and reload if it doesn't. I went to war to protect this vassal, so if my enemy takes the opportunity for peace to swoop in and conquer him, it'll all be wasted.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I really wish all Total War games came with a force diplomacy option. That alone is probably the reason I keep coming back to XGM for RTW. Being able to actually have sensible AI nations that you can prevent from backstabbing you for no reason, or that ignore amazing deals, is pretty awesome.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Vengarr posted:

I have a question about Shogun 2...if I sign a peace treaty with a foe I am at war with, will that treaty be enforced for my vassals as well? I'm playing a legendary game, so I can't just do it and reload if it doesn't. I went to war to protect this vassal, so if my enemy takes the opportunity for peace to swoop in and conquer him, it'll all be wasted.

I can't say with 100% certainty but I don't think it does. There have definitely been times I've gone to war with someone then made peace with their allies separately, unless I'm completely misremembering. You would probably be leaving them out in the cold.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

I don't think so either, but I might be misremembering.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

SheepNameKiller posted:

Nope, your vassals are vassals but they still manage their own diplomacy and can go to war without asking you permission.

Gadzuko posted:

I can't say with 100% certainty but I don't think it does. There have definitely been times I've gone to war with someone then made peace with their allies separately, unless I'm completely misremembering. You would probably be leaving them out in the cold.

Thanks. This sucks. I was allied with the Saga, conquered a domain belonging to a traitorous clan, and returned it to its pro-Emperor clan as a vassal. Saga immediately declared war on my new vassal, which I took to be a prelude to war against me. Now I'm stuck either destroying the last major Pro-Emperor clan (besides my own), or losing my new vassal and possibly having to kill the Saga anyway.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Vengarr posted:

Thanks. This sucks. I was allied with the Saga, conquered a domain belonging to a traitorous clan, and returned it to its pro-Emperor clan as a vassal. Saga immediately declared war on my new vassal, which I took to be a prelude to war against me. Now I'm stuck either destroying the last major Pro-Emperor clan (besides my own), or losing my new vassal and possibly having to kill the Saga anyway.

Yeah, if there's one thing I'd really, really like to see in Rome 2, it's a diplomatic AI that actually understands that YES I AM GOING TO PROTECT MY VASSALS/PROTECTORATES, I AM NOT GOING TO OVERLOOK IT BECAUSE WE HAVE AN ALLIANCE.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Kill all the Saga and not give a drat. After the Emperor returns to power he'll remove all the privileges of the Samurai Class and almost everyone in that Clan will turn against him anyways.

Your just doing it in advance.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd really like to switch factions mid game like in paradox games. Make the Roman Empire and then topple it with the Germans or the Parthians :black101:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Just bought Shogun 2 with the coupon. I missed it when it first came out because my computer couldn't really run it, but now I have a new computer and for $7.50 it'll keep me busy till RTW2.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

From a while back, but yeah, I'm fairly sure you're right. For some reason, this mod is getting very little attention on TWcenter, but it's loving awesome. And half the reason that it's loving awesome is that it seems to be one of the only mods that that doesn't take itself deathly seriously:

Plus it's got loving dinosaurs:

And mountain towns:

An interesting idea of artillery:

Whatever the hell this guy is:

Alligators:

And a lot more. The campaign was only released about three weeks ago, so there are still a few bugs, but I will say that it's more playable in its current state than half the games I pay money for on Steam. Although probably that's not saying too much.

I'm not someone who's normally into the fantasy genre (I never even saw Lord of the Rings), but I'm loving the hell out of this mod.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Mods like that are the reason why M2TW is one of my absolute loving favorite games ever. I have no doubt I'm still going to be playing it every once in a while for the next ten years.

I mean holy poo poo look how stupid this is, it's awesome.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 14, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I own Empire and got no coupons. :smith: If anyone wants to throw any at me, my Steam name is also GrandFromage.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
What you don't have Shogun 2 yet? Sure I'll give you one. I have a second if anybody else wants it (and presumably another billion are floating around from everybody else in the thread too).

edit: looks like somebody else gave you one already :v:.

Anybody know if the coupons are just for the base game, or are they for the DLC too?

Koramei fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 14, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mr Skillson sent me one. Yeah, I got Fall of the Samurai because I wanted to shoot guns at samurai but I never got the base game.

Throckwoddle
Jan 3, 2012

You wanna dance?

Koramei posted:

Anybody know if the coupons are just for the base game, or are they for the DLC too?

Just the base game, they don't apply to any DLC or the complete set.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

How do you find out if you've got coupons? I pre-ordered Empire on Steam and I can't figure out where they'd be if I had any. If I have some I'd like to share 'em though.

edit: found 'em. First two folks to tell me how to pass 'em out gets 'em.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I just got the coupons after sitting on Empire for years. So just wait it out if they're not popping up.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I don't have Empire, yet I have a coupon, so I think you qualify as long as you have one of the two Shogun 2 games or something. :v:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I never had a shogun game and I got the coupon. Go over to your name on the top toolbar in steam and go down to inventory on the pop-down menu.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I've got both Shogun 2 and Empire, and the gave me 2 coupons.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I have one of the -75% coupons for Shogun 2 to give away. Quote with your steam ID if you want it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Enigma posted:

I have one of the -75% coupons for Shogun 2 to give away. Quote with your steam ID if you want it.

Same here.

Tyack
Oct 9, 2012
How much does the voucher affect the price of shogun 2?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tyack posted:

How much does the voucher make shogun 2?

I got it for 7.50 USD.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

So I started a new Shimazu campaign after following all this threads advice, and I am doing even worse now then the last time. Christianity yet again has caused massive problems in all my conquered provinces. I kept my taxes at low and did not upgrade any castles. I own all of the island except the bridge province which another clan took before I could finish off the otomo. I now have next to no money, all of my conquered provinces are unhappy and require garrisons or no tax collected, and now I have a bad harvest hat might start a famine that I will not be able to get out of.

Meanwhile in the chokosabe game I started the other day, I have just taken the island, I;m swimming in cash, all my farms and castles are upgraded, and I'm building a huge navy to get ready to invade someone. I honestly have no idea how I am seemingly completely terrible at the shimazu but am just breezing through chokosabe.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

WoodrowSkillson posted:

So I started a new Shimazu campaign after following all this threads advice, and I am doing even worse now then the last time. Christianity yet again has caused massive problems in all my conquered provinces. I kept my taxes at low and did not upgrade any castles. I own all of the island except the bridge province which another clan took before I could finish off the otomo. I now have next to no money, all of my conquered provinces are unhappy and require garrisons or no tax collected, and now I have a bad harvest hat might start a famine that I will not be able to get out of.

Meanwhile in the chokosabe game I started the other day, I have just taken the island, I;m swimming in cash, all my farms and castles are upgraded, and I'm building a huge navy to get ready to invade someone. I honestly have no idea how I am seemingly completely terrible at the shimazu but am just breezing through chokosabe.

Shimazu benefit the most from Christianity. They get awesome Nanban ships to help them rule the waves, Nanban cannons to topple each and every castle between Satsuma and Kyoto, Missionaries to wreak hell on all the soft Buddhist factions on the mainland, and best of all, the +research and +economy from the church chain. You can also get Imported Matchlock Ashigaru for dirt cheap, although they're not as good as they sound. I generally convert the minute I can swing it as the Shimazu.

Taxes aren't the way you make money as the Shimazu. Your main goal should be taking and holding every trading post around Kyushuu (the island you start). If you can do that, and arrange a few trade deals, you should be utterly swimming in cash. Go down the right-hand side of the Chi research line (to get better farms and more tax revenue) until you get Chonindo, then upgrade every province till they've all got max farms. Any province that has "Very Fertile" soil is a moneymaker, and there are quite a few on Kyuushu; max their farms, give them the highest Market building you can afford, and plop a Metsuke inside the castle town for Maximum Dollar.

Military-wise, you should go down the right side of the Bushido tree for superior cavalry, superior swordsmen, and superior archers. Coincidentally, Kyushuu has provinces that give bonuses to all three. Even if you're going Christian, it's also probably worthwhile to grab the "Way of the Sea" techs to improve your navy. Controlling the sea not only protects your sweet :10bux: trade posts, it also makes you invulnerable to attack. Armies can't cross at the bridge province if a navy is sitting near the "bridge", so if you keep a navy there and are careful not to let invasion fleets slip through, you're untouchable until you decide to attack.

Meanwhile, the biggest difference between the Chosokabe and the Shimazu is where they start. Regardless of which one you pick, you'll probably end up invading the other one anyway once you seize your initial island. Kyushuu is too wealthy not to take as the Chosokabe, and if you're the Shimazu, you'll want to take Shikoku as a stepping-stone to invading the mainland.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Well that would explain why my Shimazu playthrough went poop by the end, because I stayed with Buddhism except in that single lonely nanban port town that was always pissed at me.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Sober posted:

Well that would explain why my Shimazu playthrough went poop by the end, because I stayed with Buddhism except in that single lonely nanban port town that was always pissed at me.

You can absolutely stomp face as Shimazu while staying Buddhist and a temple with a monk is enough to keep the Nanban port province safely Buddhist to prevent uprisings. Bulk deadly Katana Samurai can carve through a lot of Japan on their own merits.

People suggest Shimazu for Christian as you need around 20 turns to retool your provinces to Christianity and it's difficult to defend yourself during this period, but the reward is basically ultimate military power. The Shimazu get early access to Christianity and have a very defensible position far away from most of Japan, making them the second best option for Christianity (behind the Otomo). Shimazu have a very strong Buddhist game as well, don't be fooled into thinking that they are designed with going Christian in mind.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Just a heads-up, WoodrowSkillson: it's really, really difficult to get through the whole tech tree in one game. You need to decide fairly early which paths you'll focus on. I generally try to get all the farm upgrades, and fire arrows as soon as possible.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

shalcar posted:

You can absolutely stomp face as Shimazu while staying Buddhist and a temple with a monk is enough to keep the Nanban port province safely Buddhist to prevent uprisings. Bulk deadly Katana Samurai can carve through a lot of Japan on their own merits.

People suggest Shimazu for Christian as you need around 20 turns to retool your provinces to Christianity and it's difficult to defend yourself during this period, but the reward is basically ultimate military power. The Shimazu get early access to Christianity and have a very defensible position far away from most of Japan, making them the second best option for Christianity (behind the Otomo). Shimazu have a very strong Buddhist game as well, don't be fooled into thinking that they are designed with going Christian in mind.

Eh, I disagree. Unless you're a faction that starts near a Holy Site, or are planning to go monk-heavy for some reason, Buddhism is pretty inferior on its own merits. The biggest advantage is that you'll get along better with the other factions, and you don't have to deal with the -2 Honor loss. Sure, you can play any faction as any religion (except Ikko Ikki, Uesugi and Otomo obviously), but some factions are inherently more suited for one or the other.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Vengarr posted:

Eh, I disagree. Unless you're a faction that starts near a Holy Site, or are planning to go monk-heavy for some reason, Buddhism is pretty inferior on its own merits.

It has to be though, because Christianity comes with a large upfront cost which Buddhism doesn't need to worry about, so if it wasn't better then you really wouldn't bother. Of course, since you don't have to worry about that cost if you don't convert, you can instead spend that energy and money into continuing to expand (which is why most Christianity strategies revolve around doing it just before Realm Divide, since that negates a large advantage that staying Buddhist has), not to mention the continued easier trade/diplomacy.

It also becomes significantly less viable on the harder difficulty levels, as the likelihood that you will remain mainly unmolested while your empire undergoes internal change reduces significantly as the difficulty increases.

I'm not saying Christianity is bad, far from it. It's incredibly powerful, especially with the sea control it grants you. The Shimazu make fantastic Buddhists, just as they make fantastic Christians, it's why they are one of the easiest factions, as they can do anything really well due to their position and ability, much like the Chosokabe. You don't limit yourself in any way by staying Buddhist as the Shimazu.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
shalcar, just curious but is the ROTS campaign sort of a pared down version of vanilla S2? I've been meaning to start up a new campaign but if it plays similarly to vanilla then I'd rather give that a try. I have to admit I didn't really pay much attention to the tooltips in the campaign portion which might've been why I did poorly even on N/N. Possibly also overwhelmed a bit somehow in vanilla even after Rome and a few campaigns in M2.

And yes I have been skimming your LP a bit in hopes of getting started.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Sober posted:

shalcar, just curious but is the ROTS campaign sort of a pared down version of vanilla S2? I've been meaning to start up a new campaign but if it plays similarly to vanilla then I'd rather give that a try. I have to admit I didn't really pay much attention to the tooltips in the campaign portion which might've been why I did poorly even on N/N. Possibly also overwhelmed a bit somehow in vanilla even after Rome and a few campaigns in M2.

RotS is a fair bit simpler to get to grips with compared to vanilla, although the vast majority of the mechanics carry over nicely. I would recommend giving it a try if vanilla is giving you some trouble, the arts tree is much more streamlined, food is easier to manage (economic buildings no longer consume food, some even give it!) and your troop production comes from two main buildings instead of the 6 or so from vanilla. Mechanically I find RotS to be the more solid compared to vanilla, although it lacks some of the polish and wow-factor of the base game.

The fact you have an almost permanent ally in RotS (your sister clan) helps take the edge off, as you get a nice trade partner in addition to someone to help you out in the early fights.

Sober posted:

And yes I have been skimming your LP a bit in hopes of getting started.

If you have any RotS specific questions, feel free to ask me in either thread.

e: Pick the Kamakura Minamoto, grab one or two cheap amazingly good Foot Samurai and screen them with Blacksmith enhanced Levy. Ruin everything.

shalcar fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
First of all, I readily recommend the Radious AI/Diplomacy mods. Having allies who actually do poo poo, enemies that don't spawn huge veteran hordes out of nowhere, and sensible diplomacy partners all around is neat. I still don't know why your vassals get mad at the idea of you expanding though.

Anyway, during the last two weeks I completed an Oda, a Kiso Minamoto and a Sendai campaign, all in N/N.
Main thing in common between all of those? Agents. Agents loving rule. I literally had a tag team of Shinsengumi running around Tsu territory, generating rebellions and purchasing half the rebel armies.
Bonus points when I bought two hero units in ROTS from one of the enemy armies. :black101:

I noticed I tend to rely a lot on Ashigaru/Levies. They are a cheap speedbump who even on a total defeat while defending a castle they will murder tons of enemy soldiers thanks to the inner fort infinite morale.
I don't use levies in FOTS, except as city garrisons, but I did notice 2 parrot guns just invalidate entire enemy armies.

gently caress yes, I'm ready for another try at H/H.

Azran fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 15, 2013